Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 07:10 PM   #496
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,318
Reminds me of a Husky Nuda - only it was real!

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:22 AM   #497
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,900
Tokyo - I hate it when someone photoshopbutchers a bike.

That said, I LIKE what you did there, just needs the purple rear wheel
repainted tho! Smells a bit like Dorsoduro too.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:54 AM   #498
Tripl Nikl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyo View Post
...what I would like of the more-streety version of the ADV model, like the non-XC Tiger. I basically grafted on the front of a Uly and gave it a ~3" or so lift. Wanted to see what it would look like and just thought I would share.
So, you want a Versys? That's basically a retuned Ninja with a suspension lift.

Ninja:

Versys:

FWIW, I didn't dial in on the Versys until recently and I think the idea of a lifted Ninja is pretty darn cool. Put something like Shinko 705s or similar street biased dual purpose tires on that thing and it's all good! Apparently it's not a big seller for Kawai though, so don't hold your breath on Yami copying the concept.

Tripl Nikl screwed with this post 07-02-2013 at 06:05 AM
Tripl Nikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:23 AM   #499
tokyo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Cortez, sorry I had no intent to offend, and yeah, it was a pretty brutal photo butcher.

I've ridden bikes since I was 11 and about 8 years ago was losing the passion. They seemed to be getting heavier, more complicated and more specialized.. And less fun. Then I bought a KTM 640 Supermoto to commute in Tokyo and a light went on. The simplicity, lightness and power reminded me why I started riding motorcycles in the first place, what a riot. Since then I've been hooked on the supermoto/streety ADV do-it-all concept and try to turn every intersting bike into one.

But the big single LC4 was a paint shaker with not quite enough power for 2-up or freeway.

I like the versys. But if the FZ came in a similar package with the better (by looks anyway) seat design, less goofy plastic, more travel (8" hopefully? Vs 5.9") less weight (versys at 440-ish wet vs FZ at 414 wet) and 113hp vs 60hp, all at close to the $8k msrp.. well that right there is a fine fantasy.

And all it needs to come true is a mini-windscreen mount + 3" of travel, shouldn't affect the weight or price much? One can hope anyway..
Old 07-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #500
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 870
Quote:
Cortez, sorry I had no intent to offend, and yeah, it was a pretty brutal photo butcher.

I've ridden bikes since I was 11 and about 8 years ago was losing the passion. They seemed to be getting heavier, more complicated and more specialized.. And less fun. Then I bought a KTM 640 Supermoto to commute in Tokyo and a light went on. The simplicity, lightness and power reminded me why I started riding motorcycles in the first place, what a riot. Since then I've been hooked on the supermoto/streety ADV do-it-all concept and try to turn every intersting bike into one.

But the big single LC4 was a paint shaker with not quite enough power for 2-up or freeway.

I like the versys. But if the FZ came in a similar package with the better (by looks anyway) seat design, less goofy plastic, more travel (8" hopefully? Vs 5.9") less weight (versys at 440-ish wet vs FZ at 414 wet) and 113hp vs 60hp, all at close to the $8k msrp.. well that right there is a fine fantasy.

And all it needs to come true is a mini-windscreen mount + 3" of travel, shouldn't affect the weight or price much? One can hope anyway..

+1 on supermotos, I bought one a year ago for the lightness and simplicity and because the back roads where I live are no longer maintained well and are ROUGH and it was also a revelation and an absolute blast on those roads....but not so good for two up, fast freeway rides, group rides w/ liter bikes, etc so I also picked up a Tiger 955. It looks like the FZ-09 will be an excellent compromise between the two, not a lot heavier than my DR650SM but with the power and great triple character, sound, and feel of the Tiger....if that is the case will be replacing them with the FZ.

victor441 screwed with this post 07-02-2013 at 11:17 AM
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:25 AM   #501
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
NoNo, not at all, I like!

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
Old 07-02-2013, 02:02 PM   #502
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripl Nikl View Post
So, you want a Versys? That's basically a retuned Ninja with a suspension lift.

Ninja:

Versys:

FWIW, I didn't dial in on the Versys until recently and I think the idea of a lifted Ninja is pretty darn cool. Put something like Shinko 705s or similar street biased dual purpose tires on that thing and it's all good! Apparently it's not a big seller for Kawai though, so don't hold your breath on Yami copying the concept.
The Versys is quite popular in some parts of the USA. However, it is even more street-biased than the DL-650 Vstrom. Very few buyers actually take this bike (and many other "ADV" beasts) off road, but lots of buyers want the option and/or the ADV features/look. Hence, the marketing campaigns for many, including the new CB500X. However, since the EX-650R (called "Ninja" but not a true sport bike - there is that Marketing Department, again!) is fairly close to the Versys, potential buyers have a choice. Sales are split between the two models. That doesn't mean (to me, at least) that the Versys is a sales failure.

It will be interesting to see the sales breakdown between the three new Honda CB500 models: The "F" naked, the "R" w/sport fairing, and the "X" with the "Adventure Look" (that quote is straight from Honda's marketing department). Honda is not claiming that the CB500X is really an ADV bike - it has a standard street-bike steering geometry and only a little more suspension. With the higher handlebars, it does have a larger gas tank. Personally, I'd buy the CB500R or the EX-650R. Many other folks will gravitate toward the CB500X and the Versys. Mostly for looks and/or style, but as long as you like what you ride, that's all that counts.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:23 PM   #503
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,615
Quote:
+1 I have been sort of looking for a crashed Versys to build into a stripped, giant Supermoto. I have an XR650R with 19s (mostly for less $ than 17s) and I love it, but not for longer distance of freeway. I actually prefer 17s from years of racing Supermoto so I have no problems in the dirt with a small front tire. I also wondered if the +100lbs of the Versys over the XR would be even offset by only +10HP? The FZ-09 motor would be great! I wouldn't sell my XR, but might trade the naked SV1000?!

SVN/XRR/XC-W
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:56 AM   #504
tokyo
Gnarly Adventurer

Great minds think alike! I have been looking at Versys-es (Versi?) for the past year for the same reason. Making something that still had what I love about a big single Supermoto, but with the increased distance ability, by stripping one down to the bare minimum, maybe an ER-6 gas tank, Uly headlight etc.

I have noticed in my area (Utah) the price for used ones has gone up about $1k over the past 12 months. Last year you could get them for $3.7~$3.9k and now they are $4.5~$4.9k and they tend to move pretty quick at that price. That makes me think that more people are catching on.. may be wishful thinking. I have no idea how they are selling new.. maybe they don't sell well so there is less on the used market which makes the price go up for those few of us interested? Don't know..

In any case my hope is that this is a growing market and the Japanese makers are going to jump in more wholeheartedly. Suzuki redesigning the VStrom650 hints that they sold enough of the old one to warrant the investment in this genre. Same with the introduction of the Tenere and the Versys and the Honda ADV-ish X models. Most of these models are like dipping their toe in the water to test it first before they commit and introduce something full-on, like we know they could if they wanted to.

Like a hypermotard for the masses around Yamaha's excellent 80hp 500cc 4-stroke twin in their Phazer snowmobile, or a dirt version WR500R with the same motor. Or to bring it back full circle and on the thread topic, an FZ-09SM supermoto and even an FZ-09SE super enduro.

Or the same chasis with bags and wind protection for you guys able to actually do the 1~2 week wanderlust satisfying trips that us working stiffs with families only dream of.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #505
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
I have noticed in my area (Utah) the price for used ones has gone up about $1k over the past 12 months.
They went up in price as new too, at least in EU.
That could be the reason.

V-strom went up 30-40% since 2007.

Old 07-03-2013, 02:48 PM   #506
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

I noticed that too, my boss bought a new, leftover '09 Versys for $4500 a couple years ago!?!

Tokyo, that 500 twin sounds awesome too with 80HP! I had a WR500 and would have traded the 50+HP 2 stroke single gladly for that motor!

SVN/XRR/XC-W
Old 07-04-2013, 11:45 PM   #507
tokyo
Gnarly Adventurer

Apparently that 500cc twin is based on 2 YZ250's and revs to 11k. I've ridden the snowmobile and it pulls really nice. I also rode the Nytro snowmobile with a 1,000cc Yamaha triple, also very nice. Can't compare with a 180hp 800cc 2-stroke of course, but they go much longer between rebuilds, and are plenty of fun for most of us who aren't high marking sled necks.

I think the same big and little brother combo in bikes would be great. FZ-09 and FZ-05 with 3 flavors each. Dirty ADV, Streety ADV and street/naked.

Much more appealing than Honda's all 48hp 700 and 500 family. What's up with that? Those motors must be so overbuilt and under tuned they will last forever. I guess if I'm ever tired of doing wheelies now and again that might be appealing. I need to ride before I judge too harshly though.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:43 AM   #508
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,187
Quote:
IMuch more appealing than Honda's all 48hp 700 and 500 family. What's up with that? Those motors must be so overbuilt and under tuned they will last forever. I guess if I'm ever tired of doing wheelies now and again that might be appealing. I need to ride before I judge too harshly though.
It's Europe's tired licencing: 19-21 year olds are restricted to 35kW, about 47-48bhp.

And in emerging markets, where 125cc to 250cc is the norm, those bikes are probably classed as premium.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:58 AM   #509
VWWV
n00b

Oddometer: 1
My $.02

Hey y'all, this is my first post here. Figured I'd drop in since this forum has the best discussion of this bike so far. I ride one of the streetfightered supersports mentioned earlier (on adventures, too!) and a few things I'm noticing here:

This bike weighs roughly the same as, and has roughly the same power as, a 600 supersport but has more torque. Supermotos are fashionable these days and bikes like the KTM 1290 have a lot of riders drooling.

I think the point of this thing is to get experienced riders to trade in their 10 year-old bikes that were good enough to warrant keeping until this came along. Plus it can jump shit, something my CBR600F4i isn't great at doing.

So I don't think it's aimed directly at the sport-touring, adventure crowd (yet). It's a hooligan bike. For keeping the front wheel in the air.

It doesn't look like much from the side but all the shots from other angles are pretty appealing. Most people really only catch a glance of a bike in passing and I think it will look a lot better in person. Also, with a rider ON it.

And they're going to have the sound dialed.

Some of us who have never wanted to give up the sublime performance of a supersport would gladly give up their crushed perineums for a better all-rounder, assuming this thing handles.

In the war for power, it's easy to forget that a 600 supersport in the hands of a competent rider is as quick as pretty much anything else out there. This thing is going to absolutely rip in the right hands . Run circles around lesser riders.

I pretty much plan on getting one of these barring Kawi coming out with an affordable version of that stupid-sweet retro piece. Those bars are awfully wide but that's easily remedied.
VWWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:32 AM   #510
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWWV View Post
Those bars are awfully wide but that's easily remedied.
Those wide bars give control and quick steering in tight turns, grasshopper! But that is one of the great things about bikes with tubular bars, you can simply bolt on any shape you want.

SVN/XRR/XC-W