Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #856
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert OK View Post
The Striple has a 4.6 gallon tank, weighs less and AFAIK is not particularly ungainly.

I don't get the argument for small tanks. For me, it's a major impediment to some (otherwise nice) Sportsters. If you're tired of riding and need a break, it's nicer to do it somewhere other than a gas station.
Exactly. I've posted this many times. Apparently,there are many folks who like hanging around gas stations. To each his own.

Then there's the fact that gas stations aren't always where you need them to be, further shortening a bike's effective range. I have rides where I didn't even have to stop once on the FZ1 or the GS that I had to stop twice on the Hawk GT.
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:00 PM   #857
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker View Post
Exactly. I've posted this many times. Apparently,there are many folks who like hanging around gas stations. To each his own.

Then there's the fact that gas stations aren't always where you need them to be, further shortening a bike's effective range. I have rides where I didn't even have to stop once on the FZ1 or the GS that I had to stop twice on the Hawk GT.
Speaking of gas... Wondering what octane these will need? This should be a mandatory listing in the specs as far as I'm concerned. I've been on a bike that required the good stuff only to find (in Nova Scotia) none available. Computer compensated for it, not pinging holes in the pistons, but it ran like crap.

"I think I spent the dog food money, but he'll love me just the same. And if you really love me baby, you'll help me scrape the mucus off my brain". Ween
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:25 PM   #858
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 15,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
If they are so confident they will sell why do they need a non-refundable deposit? Screw them.
Because the USA, as a whole, buys cruisers.

Anything else, for the dealer, is a risk.

It's that simple.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:30 PM   #859
PAULIBIKER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
Speaking of gas... Wondering what octane these will need? This should be a mandatory listing in the specs as far as I'm concerned. I've been on a bike that required the good stuff only to find (in Nova Scotia) none available. Computer compensated for it, not pinging holes in the pistons, but it ran like crap.

It requires Premium..........
PAULIBIKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #860
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
If they are so confident they will sell why do they need a non-refundable deposit? Screw them.
Yamaha likes to play this game, just wait it out.

I will never play that game. Nobody in their right mind would buy a car that way. I could see it if they have a bike you could demo then require the depost.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:20 PM   #861
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 3,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaY YreKa View Post
Because the USA, as a whole, buys cruisers.

Anything else, for the dealer, is a risk.

It's that simple.
They've already got them ordered from what I understood from the referenced post.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:22 PM   #862
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 11,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post

I will never play that game. Nobody in their right mind would buy a car that way. I could see it if they have a bike you could demo then require the depost.
Those bikes will sell,I think they know that.

Comparing one to Honda's el=blando "sensible" new bikes the Yamaha Triple will move off showrooms quickly.
People in the US buy flashy scoots over sensible bikes 10 to 1.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:27 PM   #863
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 11,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsurfer View Post
Sure would like to buy one but my 2 local dealer are only getting two bikes each and they both want a $500 nonrefundable deposit

Soooo it looks like I'll have to wait for the second round of shipments.

Is it me, or am I too conservative ? Like I told the salesman I can't even sit on one, how the heck can I take a chance on losing the $500, what if ergonomics are crap and I can't get comfortable ? He said don't worry just go out and sell it

Ron W.
I was jazzed as soon as I saw the new triple,they WILL move quick. I just picked up a cherry 1250 Bandit or Id be down with a new triple. There's not another japanese bike like it on the market and Yamaha will make and sell a bunch of them,and then the 900 GS/XC or what ever should be slick.
Sooner or later they will have to tire of the beak.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:32 PM   #864
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker View Post

I don't like to hang around in gas stations, but taking a break after refueling the bike is nice. I also chose gas stations that have a convenience store, then a gas stop turns into a gas, food and pee break and then I'm ready to keep riding until the next time the bike needs fuel, that way I save time, as I only have to take of my gear and put on my gear one time, instead of two if you keep your gas and pee/food stops separate.
Süsser Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #865
PAULIBIKER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post

That's not Yamaha, it's the dealer.
PAULIBIKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:43 PM   #866
donny662
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
Quote:
Sure would like to buy one but my 2 local dealer are only getting two bikes each and they both want a $500 nonrefundable deposit

Soooo it looks like I'll have to wait for the second round of shipments.

Is it me, or am I too conservative ? Like I told the salesman I can't even sit on one, how the heck can I take a chance on losing the $500, what if ergonomics are crap and I can't get comfortable ? He said don't worry just go out and sell it

Ron W.
I've always thought that deposits should be non-refundable, except when the seller can't hold up his end of the deal. If the seller is willing to give you a place in line and doesn't want to charge you for the privilege if you back out, he should just have a waiting list.

After all, if you put down the deposit, the seller should turn away the next person who wants the bike. Then, if you back down, the seller has lost the sale from the person he turned away, and the seller should have some financial compensation.

Although, I do think that the dealer should have said, "if you're worried about the ergonomics and are not willing to lose that money, you shouldn't put down a deposit." The dealer will either be able to find people willing to risk that much money, or he will have to lower the ante, or he will have new bikes on the showroom floor waiting to be sold.

Hobbes: Like that book report you're supposed to be writing now on the book you haven't read?

Calvin: Exactly. Case in point.
donny662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:06 AM   #867
Auto-X Fil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
I am always shocked when people complain about deposits being non-refundable.

What is the point of a deposit, if it's refundable? It's there to guarantee that even if you bail, the seller at least has the deposit amount amount to make up for any lost opportunities they might have had while waiting on you.

I guess a refundable deposit might make a little sense on a new bike - if it was just a waiting list, everyone and their brother would sign up with a 2% chance of actually buying the bike. The $500 at least means they are somewhat serious (and can come up with $500).
Auto-X Fil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:16 AM   #868
rjsurfer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
OP back here, I see your point on the deposit so I guess it's me......

I certainly wouldn't put a nonfundable deposit on a bike I haven't seen, sat on or riden on.

Ron W.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:20 AM   #869
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 1,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto-X Fil View Post
I am always shocked when people complain about deposits being non-refundable.

What is the point of a deposit, if it's refundable? It's there to guarantee that even if you bail, the seller at least has the deposit amount amount to make up for any lost opportunities they might have had while waiting on you.

I guess a refundable deposit might make a little sense on a new bike - if it was just a waiting list, everyone and their brother would sign up with a 2% chance of actually buying the bike. The $500 at least means they are somewhat serious (and can come up with $500).
I have to disagree. If it's a new bike, there will be plenty of buyers. Take their deposits; if they weren't at least somewhat serious, they wouldn't put money down. Then if/when they change their mind, fine. Refund 'em and go to next person on the list. It's not like the dealers will be getting dozens of them.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
'01 Yamaha FZ1
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:27 AM   #870
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,449
Quote:
OP back here, I see your point on the deposit so I guess it's me......

I certainly wouldn't put a nonfundable deposit on a bike I haven't seen, sat on or riden on.

Ron W.
You're thinking about it functionally.

In my experience, and probably yours too, there is a segment of the community of buyers that always get a boner by being the first guy with the new hotness and they dhon't give a shit if they've ridden it or not. They want to be the guy with the new swag at Starbucks so they can be the touchstone for info on that bike in their local area.
It's not about buying a functional product that meets their needs or wants, so much.

It's just Air Jordans all over again, but now we're not in middle school anymore.