Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2013, 12:25 PM   #871
Mikey Boy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
My dealer took a refundable deposit from me but she had to confirm with the sales manager. I am 98% sure I will buy the bike but if something unexpected comes up between now and then, well I don't want to lose my $ if I can't buy it. Most dealers worth their salt will be willing to work with you on that. I am 3rd on the list so when they get the 3rd one in stock they call me up and I'll check it out immediately. If I don't want it they refund my card and give it to the next guy on the list. These bikes are going to go like hotcakes so I don't think they are worried about it.
Mikey Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:29 PM   #872
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 1,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Boy View Post
My dealer took a refundable deposit from me but she had to confirm with the sales manager. I am 98% sure I will buy the bike but if something unexpected comes up between now and then, well I don't want to lose my $ if I can't buy it. Most dealers worth their salt will be willing to work with you on that. I am 3rd on the list so when they get the 3rd one in stock they call me up and I'll check it out immediately. If I don't want it they refund my card and give it to the next guy on the list. These bikes are going to go like hotcakes so I don't think they are worried about it.
I hope they DO sell well. North America has never been big on naked bikes. I bought a new Kawi Z1000 in 2010, and while I loved the bike, three things about really bugged me -- the 4 gal gas tank @ 35 mpg, a very cramped riding position for my legs (and I'm not all that tall), and even with an aftermarket windscreen, I couldn't get the airflow smooth enough or positioned well enough. I ended up getting rid of it. That's what I love about my Gen1 FZ1.. with a Givi Touring windscreen, it's awesome. The riding position is still a little cramped but not nearly as much. And it has a 5.6 gal gas tank and gets nearly 50 mpg -- and does so on 87 octane.

There's no longer a local Yamaha dealer here so I'll have to go up into Portland to see one once they come out.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
'01 Yamaha FZ1
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:43 PM   #873
Mikey Boy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
I hope they DO sell well. North America has never been big on naked bikes. I bought a new Kawi Z1000 in 2010, and while I loved the bike, three things about really bugged me -- the 4 gal gas tank @ 35 mpg, a very cramped riding position for my legs (and I'm not all that tall), and even with an aftermarket windscreen, I couldn't get the airflow smooth enough or positioned well enough. I ended up getting rid of it. That's what I love about my Gen1 FZ1.. with a Givi Touring windscreen, it's awesome. The riding position is still a little cramped but not nearly as much. And it has a 5.6 gal gas tank and gets nearly 50 mpg -- and does so on 87 octane.

There's no longer a local Yamaha dealer here so I'll have to go up into Portland to see one once they come out.

Rob
My very first bike was a 04 FZ6 so I have a soft spot for any FZ's. I love FZ1's. Probably the most bike you can get for your money IMO. They freakin rip. I am just a huge sucker for twins and triples though so the FZ-09 is kinda perfect in my mind. I'm a little worried about the 3.7 gal tank on the FZ-09 so hopefully the triple gets decent mileage. Like 45-50 would be awesome. Either way it's not that big of a deal for me as I have my KTM 950 for the long hauls. This will be the commuter/track/canyon beast in my stable.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:06 AM   #874
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,608
I really like the idea, the power/weight, and the price is great too. I'm still on the fence about the looks though and want to see one in person.
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:12 PM   #875
donny662
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
I have to disagree. If it's a new bike, there will be plenty of buyers. Take their deposits; if they weren't at least somewhat serious, they wouldn't put money down. Then if/when they change their mind, fine. Refund 'em and go to next person on the list. It's not like the dealers will be getting dozens of them.

Rob
My thought is that, if i give the seller a deposit, I am going to get that bike or no one is going to get that bike (unless I back out, in which case I lose my deposit). The seller shouldn't take a deposit if someone else has also put a deposit on the same item.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
You're thinking about it functionally.

In my experience, and probably yours too, there is a segment of the community of buyers that always get a boner by being the first guy with the new hotness and they dhon't give a shit if they've ridden it or not. They want to be the guy with the new swag at Starbucks so they can be the touchstone for info on that bike in their local area.
It's not about buying a functional product that meets their needs or wants, so much.

It's just Air Jordans all over again, but now we're not in middle school anymore.
I'm about middle height and weight and am not yet middle age. I can be reasonably comfortable on any bike I choose (supermotos included), and I can appreciate the good qualities of most motorcycles. If I were richer, I would be a prime candidate to put down a deposit on an FZ-09.

Hobbes: Like that book report you're supposed to be writing now on the book you haven't read?

Calvin: Exactly. Case in point.
donny662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:09 PM   #876
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 18,745
There were a gaggle of them outside of Cook's Corner today.
They looked good to me, other than the cheapish bar switches and cheesy gauge setup.

RedRocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:22 PM   #877
Mikey Boy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
They looked good to me, other than the cheapish bar switches and cheesy gauge setup.

Awesome pic. Thanks! I'm definitely glad I went with the red. Can't wait to take it to the hills and the track. Glad the suspension is at least somewhat adjustable. What about the tires? Bridgestone S20s?
Old 08-28-2013, 06:14 PM   #878
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 18,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Boy View Post
Awesome pic. Thanks! I'm definitely glad I went with the red. Can't wait to take it to the hills and the track. Glad the suspension is at least somewhat adjustable. What about the tires? Bridgestone S20s?

The one tire I looked at was a Sportmax, that means Dunlop I think.
RedRocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:35 PM   #879
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 3,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post

So were there a bunch of Yamaha people and moto journalists hanging about? Reviews should start coming in now.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:24 PM   #880
Paulvt1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,310
Interesting snippet.

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-...ity/23353.html

..larger and smaller versions due soon...
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:55 AM   #881
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
Review MCN

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...09-first-ride/

"I think I spent the dog food money, but he'll love me just the same. And if you really love me baby, you'll help me scrape the mucus off my brain". Ween
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:19 AM   #882
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,356

Short read but...... looks to me like the Triumph Street Triple remains the best of the best.

It may sound like a Triumph but doesn't handle or fuel as well.... so that's the story for now.

Yamaha seem to hve trouble dialing in the fuelling, my former '06 FJR and now my Super T have issues. On my Triumph Scrambler and my former Tiger 800XC fuelling was dead on.. perfect.

Regards, Paul
Old 08-29-2013, 08:22 AM   #883
Mikey Boy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post
Short read but...... looks to me like the Triumph Street Triple remains the best of the best.

It may sound like a Triumph but doesn't handle or fuel as well.... so that's the story for now.

Yamaha seem to hve trouble dialing in the fuelling, my former '06 FJR and now my Super T have issues. On my Triumph Scrambler and my former Tiger 800XC fuelling was dead on.. perfect.

Regards, Paul
IF it actually does have fueling issues (the only Yamaha I've ever had that came badly plugged up was the wr250x) it's nothing a power commander wouldn't fix.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:30 AM   #884
Draechon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,095
I'm not great at photo manipulation, but made a few changes to the FZ so I could have a better idea of what I want to do. Just a few little things: rear fender chopped, bar-end mirrors, fly screen, rubber tank knee pads, and removal of a bit of the catalytic converter scrotum look.

OEM

Draechon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:37 AM   #885
Mikey Boy
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm really curious to read more than just one reviewer's perspective. He said he doesn't like the tall front end but it isn't that much taller than the FZ8. I think Yamaha took some motard qualities and tried to partially impart them on this bike. We'll see how people like it. My 2nd bike is a 950 Adv and its tall as shit in the front but I don't get a "vague" feel from it. I think it all depends on what you normally ride.