Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2013, 02:07 PM   #76
lewi
dreamer

Oddometer: 181
looking for a XT900Z now they got this engine! or you don't think it will happen?
Old 06-11-2013, 03:12 PM   #77
awork13
Gas was made to burn

Oddometer: 313
We will see if Yamaha has anything up its sleeve, they are having a dealer show this year (first time since 08 or so.) in Vegas. Rumor is at least one new model...
2009 CRF150R
awork13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:45 PM   #78
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,214
It had better be way cheaper than the Street Triple to be competitive on the market...... The Street is a pretty exceptional bike to beat for what it is. Plus the Yamaha just looks like a more boring version and who wants the more boring version of a Street Triple?!
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:59 PM   #79
stripple
Runnin' Hard

Oddometer: 603
850cc Triple...

Yawn...

I had high hopes. I hoped that they would announce an at least 1000cc beastly triple. Was really hoping for a 1100/1200cc hoonmobile.

I'm getting tired of the Japanese companies playing it safe. Kawasaki is the only manufacturer from Japan with any balls anymore.

No offense to anyone that likes smaller motors, but I can't stand this trend of unoffensive, utilitarian, economy minded pap.

I love Japanese bikes for their dependability and their build quality. I love traveling to Japan, and I respect their culture very much. But I can't stand that conservative design philosophy that they have.

Wake me up when ANY Japanese company does something exciting... Fuck, I'm annoyed.

(sorry for the rant)
Old 06-11-2013, 04:08 PM   #80
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripple View Post
Yawn...I had high hopes. I hoped that they would announce an at least 1000cc beastly triple. Was really hoping for a 1100/1200cc hoonmobile.

I'm getting tired of the Japanese companies playing it safe. Kawasaki is the only manufacturer from Japan with any balls anymore.

Wake me up when ANY Japanese company does something exciting... Fuck, I'm annoyed.
Whats a Hoonmobile?!

and I totally agree. If they were going to do this, it should have been something super exciting that eclipses the Street Triple which it is clearly mimicking. All of the managers of Triumph are probably sitting around in their boardroom, patting themselves on the back for getting one of the big Japanese companies to try and copy them - you know what they say about imitation.....
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:53 PM   #81
Manneman
Polarbear

Oddometer: 128
The new Yamaha MT 09 2014 model!!!

New model presented from Yamaha a few hours ago!

Rumour has it that Yamaha owned MotoMinarelli builds the new triple engine for Yamaha and then maybe the rest of the bike is assembled by MBK in France?

http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/eu/produc.../mt/mt-09.aspx

Old 06-11-2013, 05:16 PM   #82
stripple
Runnin' Hard

Oddometer: 603
Just watched the promo video...

"The dark side of Japan"?

So dark, so sinister...

You crazy risk takers at Yamaha should really control yourselves!

What irritates me is, they're trying to sell that "dark side" BS. It's insulting to motorcyclists. Don't claim "dark" Yamaha, unless you've got something to stand up to your claim. An 850cc, 115bhp standard isn't anything but "safe". Bastards...
Old 06-11-2013, 05:17 PM   #83
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,715
Looks like a Kawasaki ER6N

AustinJake screwed with this post 06-11-2013 at 05:22 PM
AustinJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:48 PM   #84
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,267
Quote:
"The dark side of Japan"?

An 850cc, 115bhp standard isn't anything but "safe". Bastards...
It seems to have evoked some DARK predictable responses.

So people, given all the engineering tradeoffs etc, what would you design that was actually possible and that was not derivative, was unique and DARK that people would actually buy, seeing that that is a the purpose of a private corporation.

Seems to remember that Triumph made a BMW copy with a triple engine and a Homer Simpson front end and a 9 month pain in the arse teaser campaign not too long ago that not many thought too badly of that. And that was just another triple motor with some wire wheels. Pretty predictable and very derivative.

I think no matter what the Japanese do, people will just make predictable comments about it.
Sound like of bunch of fashionistas who don't like someone because, you know they are not like, you know, cool.

So far it is just a bunch of specs. The only thing I can say at this point is that it sound better then the other triple out there and they have managed to do that without that annoying whine. That's a plus.

A bit of clever engineering in there. What that means on the road, we will wait and see.
Has anyone here designed a 3 cylinder, cross plane crank triple that revs to 10,000 rpm lately?
I'm interested in how that works and what the tradeoffs are.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 06-11-2013 at 06:06 PM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:57 PM   #85
Milosh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
It seems to have evoked some DARK although predictable responses.

So people, given all the engineering tradeoffs etc, what would you design that was actually possible and that was not derivative, was unique and DARK that people would actually buy, seeing that that is a the purpose of a private corporation.

Seems to remember that Triumph made a BMW copy with a triple engine and a Homer Simpson front end and a 9 month pain in the arse teaser campaign not too long ago that no one thought too badly of that. I think no matter what the Japanese do, people will just make predictable comments about it.

So far it is just a bunch of specs. The only thing I can say at this point is that it sound better then the other triple out there and they have managed to do that without that annoying whine. That's a plus.

Don't hate the playa. Hate the game. You have a soft spot for Triumph, no?
Milosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:12 PM   #86
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milosh View Post
Don't hate the playa. Hate the game. You have a soft spot for Triumph, no?
Almost bought one, so they are up there with the almost bought one bikes. But that annoying whine was one of the things that pissed me off about them.
And that "write off waiting to happen" frame.

Advertising campaigns are just that. The fact that YAMAHA did do something more than a black, fancy graphics covered T MAX was a bit of a surprise though.

Pretty DARK of them..

So what I see here is another triple option, that deosn't whine like a high maintenance girlfriend. So far so good. With the right pipes it may even sound interesting,

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:17 PM   #87
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,368
Quote:
Yawn...

I had high hopes. I hoped that they would announce an at least 1000cc beastly triple. Was really hoping for a 1100/1200cc hoonmobile.

t)
I know right. My 800cc is barely able to get me out of my driveway. I was hoping for 3000cc.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:38 PM   #88
The Blue Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Some of you guys would bitch if you weren't hung with a new rope. I eagerly await your motorcycle designs to make it to market.

I like it, it doesn't have the transformers/insect styling disease as bad as a lot of the newer bikes. It does sound like a Street Triple without the whine, though.

It will be interesting to see pricing vs. the Street Triple R, and to see what else is in the pipeline with the new motor & possibly the frame too.
The Blue Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:18 PM   #89
ABHooligan
The Flying Mythos

Oddometer: 1,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
I know right. My 800cc is barely able to get me out of my driveway. I was hoping for 3000cc.
I've been very disappointed in my less-than-liter bike too. The next bike I buy will have at least 400hp. And six turbos. I'll be riding then.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:25 PM   #90
elamofo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Coming to the USA

As a FZ-09!

http://www.yamahamotorsports.com/spo...85/0/home.aspx

elamofo is offline   Reply With Quote