User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2013, 05:16 PM   #46
alcontrast
at least I'm trying

Oddometer: 1,549
Cry

I finally remembered to find this thread, found it, subscribed to it, and then read a bit only to find the sad ending when it was just about to get interesting..

Hopefully it's not the final end of the story and you'll still get your dream bike; whether it's that one or a different Husky. It must have been torture to get back on a plane though! I hope the first class seat and free booze helped a little..

When in doubt, gas it. It will either fix the problem, or at the very least end the suspense.

07 650GS / 05 DRZ400S / 72 CB350 (that hasn't run since shortly after I bought it)
alcontrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:52 PM   #47
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilolita View Post
It'd be a lot of money to do a one way UHaul from that distance. Trust me, it was discussed with the guys at both shops.

Don will pay for the fix. I truly believe he didn't know there was a problem. He's a good guy. I just don't know if I want to deal with a bike that may be seriously messed up. I'm definitely in a wait & see. The sucky part is I have a week's vacation and I'm in Providence

I'll have to pay to get the bike up here. I can't find a cheap way to do it.

At least I have a ride planned for Thursday on my little DR350.

If you do decide to keep the bike, a carrier service like uship is a good place to look for a reasonable transport rate.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:59 PM   #48
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,031
i used uship and it was cheap and had no problems. I would go to the website and check it out.

i also would make sure a certified mechanic checked out the bike from one end to the other to make sure it was sound. Personally I would just get out of the deal and get something else.
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:08 PM   #49
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrphotoman View Post
i used uship and it was cheap and had no problems. I would go to the website and check it out.

i also would make sure a certified mechanic checked out the bike from one end to the other to make sure it was sound. Personally I would just get out of the deal and get something else.
If they're splitting the case, as it sounds like they'll have to do, they will see all the potential problem areas and can give an accurate assessment of its condition. The seller has incentive to get it fixed either way - if Lilolita backs out, the next buyer will have the same problem.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #50
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Error View Post
If they're splitting the case, as it sounds like they'll have to do, they will see all the potential problem areas and can give an accurate assessment of its condition. The seller has incentive to get it fixed either way - if Lilolita backs out, the next buyer will have the same problem.
So if there is a used car with a blown engine 2 miles off the lot the buyer should keep it just to keep from another potential buyer purchasing the car at a later date? makes sense
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:24 PM   #51
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrphotoman View Post
So if there is a used car with a blown engine 2 miles off the lot the buyer should keep it just to keep from another potential buyer purchasing the car at a later date? makes sense
How in the world did you infer that from my statement?

The seller - the guy who sold Lilolita a bike with a problem - has an incentive to fix the problem. Lilolita has no responsibility to keep this bike, AFAIC, she'd be justified asking for her $ back regardless of what the mechanic finds.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #52
Drewha
Thunderbirds Are Go

Oddometer: 526
I would politely ask for your money back, explaining you wouldn't be comfortable with the bike after such a major repair. You bought it on good faith that it was in running condition. If he is a stand up guy as you say , he should honor your request. I would stay clear of this bike. And chalk it up to a lesson learned. Just my 2 cents. Hope it works out for the best for you Lilo. What a bummer.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:09 PM   #53
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,807
.....and you didn't ride back to Rhode Island in second gear because.....?

just joking.....I vote for a refund of bike $$$....there'll be other bikes in your future.
bomber1965 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:14 PM   #54
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer: 2,008
Move on

I have done many fly and rides and had way to many bikes to mention. If I was you I would do as suggested and politely ask for your money back. If you get the bike back and anything goes wrong you will be stuck with it and kicking yourself for not getting out when you could. My 2 cents. Good luck
Reidy008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:22 PM   #55
singletrackjack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
bent fork

Man I've seen a few bent shifting forks -- sounds like what this is --- from a fall -- it happens ----- but someone had to know about it - either a buddy dropped it and didn't tell him or he did it -- scary stuff to think he didn't know -- but maybe he didn't- --
if you keep the bike the price should come down -- a bike with the case split isn't worth as much and just pray someone don't screw something up in the process of fixing it!
singletrackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:41 PM   #56
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber1965 View Post
.....and you didn't ride back to Rhode Island in second gear because.....?

Because she wasnt following Cheese on this ride

sorry for that Cheese but I couldnt resist.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:42 AM   #57
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,364
Well that sucks.

Why do they say it needs a clutch basket? The only problems we (TE610 owners) have had with clutch baskets has been repairable via replacement parts...bushing and rivets are in stock at Halls, and there's a guy on here selling aftermarket springs and cups. In other words the basket is completely rebuildable

The shifting.... Super-duper rare to hear of anybody with a transmission issue, they're pretty stout.

You should have bought mine last year

Hope it works out. LMK if you need me to wrench on one for you.
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:16 AM   #58
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,617
If your inner voice says that you will not be able to trust that bike, walk away. Seller can fix and sell to another.
NoVa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:56 AM   #59
Rhode trip
guided by voices

Oddometer: 764
That's a drag, Lil. At least it wasn't a problem that happened half way home. Hope it works out.

http://www.LapelPinPlanet.com
Rhode trip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #60
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,617
Hey, I subscribed for a ride report. I got short changed. I want my money back too!

On a serious note: I'm sorry to hear what happened. Bent shifting fork sounds likely, based on the fact that it shifts 1& 2. The clutch basket doesn't sound viable because you can shift any motorcycle without the clutch. Something is stopping the shift drum from rotating past the second gear position.

Call Halls and ask a few questions.

Tell them to do a camchain while they're in there (their dime) if it hasn't ever been done before. If they fix it correctly you should have a great bike still.

I'd hang in there a while and see how it shakes out.

Best wishes.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote