Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2013, 05:04 PM   #16
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,110
HEY live2ridetahoe, Baja Ho and toofattoraceanymore thanks for popping in.

BOB! been a long time man, hopefully I'll make it interesting.

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:30 PM   #17
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

So with everything zeroed out route loaded, we're off, but before letting out the clutch I just want to remind you all it's a ride more about the history of area and significant events that happened here through historical documentation.

My main sources I pulled from are:

"The Pony Express Trail Yesterday and Today" by William E. Hill

"Riders of the Pony Express" by Ralph Moody

Mr. Moody's book is written more in the fashion of a Louis I'amour novel which enriches the story of other wise dry facts.

US Department of the Interior National Historic Trails Guide.

Of the 42 original relay stations most are long gone but we'll see what we can find along the way.

Many of the stations in present-day Nevada were often set ablaze by warring Paiute and Shoshone, the station keepers often killed. The history of the American West is marred by cruel treatment of native peoples by settlers and the army, and these raids on Pony Express stations
marked the boiling-over points for many bands of Paiute and Shoshone. Other stations were dismantled by later settlers for lumber. While a handful of Nevada stations remain—many as piles of rubble and weathered, crumbling walls—most have long since been reclaimed by the
desert.

Just past the JP General Store which was open we come to the Goshute Reservation boundary and we were informed to stay on the easement road. Incidentally the first relay station is on the REZ

and we pass it as it is now a ranch with some beautiful paints (horses) prancing around.

Prairie Gate Station
The final Nevada station (or first for westbound riders) was built a couple months after the trail opened to break up the long ride between Utah’s westernmost station, Deep Creek, to Antelope Springs in Nevada. The premature end of Antelope Springs also made Prairie Gate an integral
stop. The station was also referred to as Eight Mile Station.

WE rode on...

a few miles later the PE route begins to veer off to the left but we elect to stay on the main route through.

As soon as we exit the REZ we turn along to fence line and ride about a mile to pick up the Trail

Spot On!

So I follow the trail, which also happens to be part of the old Lincoln Highway system.

To the right is Goshute Land

Along the way we crossed Whiskey road and since I knew there was nothing left of Antelope Springs I wanted to stop by the Tippett Ranch

From my research I knew when Antelope Springs was burned they moved horses to this area.

Doug checking out the old stone buildings, the wind was kicking pretty hard.

Stupid finger.

I believe this use to be the corral I read about it's now a water catchment system.

On your way to Antelope Springs is the Tippett Ranch, it came about in
the early 1880s as a sheep ranch. there was a biweekly stage that ran between Cherry Creek and Tippett bringing mail to the ranch as it functioned as the area post office. The present owners are
working hard to restore the ranch that deteriorated during the 1960s and 1970s. While the ranch house is more recent, the highlight of Tippett Ranch is the old stone horse barn built in the 1860s.
Both the Pony Express and Overland Stage used the barn and small storehouse to house horses that were switched out at nearby Antelope Springs.

Antelope Springs Station Elev: 6030
Antelope Springs existed only for a couple of months until Paiutes burned it. The station was
never rebuilt.

From here we hit some rough rocky two track up over the mountain riding towards Rock Spring Station

Doug's eating this up

Yup still on the Lincoln Highway too..

Hit the summit and just around the corner on the down hillside was a small watering hole and a couple of rocks where the station was.

You see the Grey monument on the right side of the picture. This county's marking the trail was great as a matter of fact the trail is well marked all across the state..... way to go Nevada.

Aldous Huxley

Idahosam screwed with this post 06-02-2013 at 09:53 AM
Old 06-01-2013, 07:26 PM   #18
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,066
Pretty interesting
Old 06-01-2013, 07:56 PM   #19
PinkPillion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498
Loving it Idahosam!
PinkPillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:17 PM   #20
Mastercylinder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Nice!
Mastercylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #21
advrockrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
very cool...

I have riden some of these trails and they are awesome... keep up the good work, I hope to follow some of your route and will be following closely..
advrockrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:43 PM   #22
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,121
Yes! Awesome job, IDSM! You are amazing ...
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:08 PM   #23
byways
byways

Sam, you mentioned that JP Generel was open. Did Justin have gas? As you suggested ... not reliable.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:33 PM   #24
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

As we meandered down the narrow canyon to the Spring Valley Floor we came to an intersection and at the mouth of Schellborne Canyon this is where the old station was suppose to have been. I looked all around and saw a lone stand of Junipers (they referred to them as cedars) when this story came to mind of Nick Wilson a Pony rider.

From Pony Express Trail yesterday and today pages 214-215

"Things grew worse that summer. More stations were burned, some, hostlers and riders were killed and I got very badly wounded. It happened this way. I had been taking some horses to Antelope Station and on my way back I made a stop at Spring Valley Station. When I got there the two boys that looked after station… asked me to stay and have dinner.
I got my horse and started him towards the station but instead of going into the stable he went behind it where some other horses were grazing. Pretty soon we saw horses across the meadow towards the Cedars with two Indians behind them. We started after them full tilt and gained on them a little. As we ran I fired three shots at them with my revolvers, but there were too far away to hit them. They reached the cedars a little before we did. I was ahead of the other two boys, and as I ran around a large cedar one of the indians shot me in the head with a flint-tipped arrow.

It struck me about two inches above the left eye…. The boys came around to find me lying on the ground with the arrow sticking in my head. They tried to pull the arrow out but the shaft came away and left the flint in my head. Thinking i would surely die, they rolled me under a tree and started for the next station as fast as they could.

needless to say he survived, and went on to have a long life.

Sorry I didn't get a picture as guy in a white truck drove up stopped and started jaw-jacking with me and I just forgot to get the shot.

We went on up over the pass and came down to

Schellborne Ranch the site on the Relay Station.

Schell Creek Station Elev: 6090
The home station at Schell Creek, at the northern end of the Egan Mountains, was also know as Fort Schellborne for the cavalry company stationed there following the Pyramid Lake massacre,
which devastated many stations in western Nevada. Two log structures and other building ruins from the old fort remain, none of which are necessarily part of the Pony Express station.

WE then headed on down to the marker/Rest Area off highway 93.

Read the Kiosk info had lunch dumped fuel in and headed across the highway towards Egan Station.

Aldous Huxley
Old 06-01-2013, 09:37 PM   #25
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Quote:
Originally Posted by byways View Post
Sam, you mentioned that JP Generel was open. Did Justin have gas? As you suggested ... not reliable.
Hi'ya Tony

We didn't stop, as we had plenty of gas and munchies. I assume nothing when heading into the unknown. reliable? Ha, Only open on every third Tuesday of alternating odd months

Thanks Man.

Aldous Huxley
Old 06-01-2013, 10:18 PM   #26
booger1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 808
Excellent, defiantly on my to do list of rides.

booger1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:04 PM   #27
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,689
sweet!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:19 AM   #28
byways
byways

Man, the research you did, Sam. Lotta advance work went into this. And I'm taking in every word. Thanks for doing it, brother.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:50 AM   #29
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Quote:
Originally Posted by byways View Post
Man, the research you did, Sam. Lotta advance work went into this. And I'm taking in every word. Thanks for doing it, brother.
Yes, I had put a lot of research into it as a winter project. As I had stated before I been sitting on it for a few years. I even had made Brochures that I passed out to my riders/friends prior to the ride with station by station narratives and Nat Geo Maps (26 of them) that coincide with the brochure.... sorta like a auto-tour part of what I am using in this RR.

Of course after actually riding it I'll have to make some minor corrections as the Route was dead on but terrain and private property i.e. my tracks deviated slightly, so I'll need to redo (modify) my Motobike Tour Brochure

I truly appreciate your comments, and for following along.

Aldous Huxley
Old 06-02-2013, 08:08 AM   #30
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,520
Great job thanks
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote