Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2013, 08:22 AM   #31
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,101
OK, so where was I. Oh yea sitting in the Rest Area off 93, while sitting there a Canadian couple in a huge RV rolled up the guy jumped out and made a beeline straight over to us and start barraging us with numerous questions, he thought it was so cool what we were doing, even though he wasn't too familiar with the PE. He said he'd research and made a comment we had to be a little off tilt to blaze across unpopulated terrain the way we are........ He evidently isn't familiar with ADVRIDER He asked why am I riding it? As I rode off I said "cause I can".

Because fuel was so critical I limited the side trips to a minimum, as a matter of fact I didn't hit a couple i had in my Brochure, and good thing I did too. But this one sorta lay on the path so we rode up to the Ghost Town Of Cherry Creek

Here's the road we just come up and will have to go back down.

Cherry Creek, this has a few occupants still milling around but still a interesting side trip. There is some very colorful and insightful information about the White Pine area residents by Mr Jerry Bowen at this site:
http://www.webpanda.com/white_pine_c...erry_bowen.htm

So, we back tracked and entered Eagan Canyon and pretty much where the station use to be is a quarry. I read there is a small Placard marking the spot but it wasn't important, it's just the fact we are here.

I walked around looking for the Placard, and I noticed Steve down there breaking shale, you see he's something of a rockhound. He found fossils in those layers, of aquatic plant life... so you see this was once all an inland sea.

As I stood gazing around I noticed a knoll off to the left (just out of frame) and wondered if this was the one the Calvary came charging down to the rescue.

Egan Canyon Station Elev: 6367
In July of 1860, about 80 Shoshones abducted station keeper Mike Holten and a rider named Wilson and helped themselves to station supplies. Rider William Dennis, en route from Ruby Valley Station, saw the invaders and slipped away unnoticed. He found Lieutenant Weed and 60
soldiers on the way back to Ruby Valley and returned with them to the station. Nearly 20 of the Shoshone were killed in the ensuing battle, and the two captives were freed. The following is an excerpt of a copy of the old faded pencil-written account of a raid on Egan Canyon Pony Express Station by Billy Fisher:

“On the 16th of July the only men at Egan Canyon Station were Mike Holton, station keeper, and Wilson, rider, who took the express from Will Dennis who had my ride from Ruby East, and carried it to Schell Creek. The soldiers had left and the other 3 employees of the Express Co. who
had been there for a month past, were sent to work on other portions of the route, as we all supposed the Indian war was over. But on the referred to about 80 of the renegade Reds, who had fought under Leatherhead, in all their war paint, rode through Egan Canyon up to the station
and demanded of the boys, flour, bacon, and sugar. The boys handed out the provisions knowing it would not do to refuse. Mike then started out to gather the Express horses up and put them into the stockade corral, but one big Indian, who could talk some English, to go in the house, that the
Indians would take care of the horses and them too after they had their feast.”
The rest can be read here: http://www.webpanda.com/white_pine_c...rical_society/
Jerry_Bowen/egan_incident.htm

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley

Idahosam screwed with this post 06-02-2013 at 09:59 AM
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #32
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspurs View Post
Hey Sam; I'm In!!... can't wait to see the rest!...

PS: if I buy a DRZ 400 will you start inviting me on these!!??

Somehow I missed this. Buddy, you have a problem, it's a four letter word... WORK. I am sure the wife doesn't want you burning up all you vacation time to hang with a group of ole silverbacks, lolly-gagging around and generally abusing oneself. But, if you ever find the time Let me know man.

I highly recommend a lighter bike the DRZ just happen to be what we had. a KTM 450, 530 would also be idea. I don't recommend a KLR or like bike unless of course your young and tall. I can't stress this enough LARGE FUEL CAPICITY, you need the range.

Aldous Huxley
Old 06-02-2013, 11:03 AM   #33
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam View Post
Somehow I missed this. Buddy, you have a problem, it's a four letter word... WORK. I am sure the wife doesn't want you burning up all you vacation time to hang with a group of ole silverbacks, lolly-gagging around and generally abusing oneself. But, if you ever find the time Let me know man.

I highly recommend a lighter bike the DRZ just happen to be what we had. a KTM 450, 530 would also be idea. I don't recommend a KLR or like bike unless of course your young and tall. I can't stress this enough LARGE FUEL CAPICITY, you need the range.
Wife is another four letter word...

So is kids.

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #34
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
Wife is another four letter word...

So is kids.

JG
OK, either I stand corrected or I have offended? Not sure which.

Aldous Huxley
Old 06-02-2013, 12:32 PM   #35
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,187
Quote:
OK, either I stand corrected or I have offended? Not sure which.
Neither. Just adding to the list of four letter words.

My riding and travel is impacted by all three.

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:26 PM   #36
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

From Egan Station I head on out and we have a couple more ranges to cover before dropping into the Ruby Valley area.

The Valley floors turn to alkaline intermixed with with patches of hard-pack and stone.

This is the easy fun part

But as we progress onward it starts to digress..

The main reason I picked this time of year was particularly for the the ambient conditions; after the snow and rains. I wanted it to be not too hot and avoidance of the DEEP Alkaline pockets, as the rains packed it down ( I call POOF dust) this stuff can be darn dangerous when dried out sufficiently as it was we were hitting 6 to 8 inch pockets here and there

At the foot of the Butte Mountain range we gradually climbed the foot hills crossing an area thick in greasewood and junipers. I slowed looking for the next relay Station, but found nothing. We did see a beautiful Band of wild Mustangs and right in front of me galloping by was a majestically beautiful alpha Male Stallion heading towards the herd to get his ladies and fillies away from us evil gas belching contraptions

I must apologize as I didn't get a picture, but he was a large muscular Palomino with a long white main and tail that almost reach the ground. You just had to be there to appreciate it.

"Borrowed Internet Pic."
Looked a lot like this

My GPS said we are on station, so I stopped to look around for any remains; suppose to be a chimney, didn't see it.

Butte Creek Station Elev: 6367
Butte Station did serve as a Pony Express, but also served the Overland Mail and Telegraph. Prior to the Pony Express it was used the Chorpenning Mail Line as a station in1859, and the Pony Express took over in the spring of 1860. Butte Station itself was built in 1862 when the
Overland line was improved. Indian troubles plagued Butte. On June 27, 1860 the station was burned. But the station was quickly rebuilt. The Overland Mail and Telegraph Company left the station in 1869. After which time it became known as “Robber’s Roost or Thieves’ Delight.”
Today parts of the Overland station are still standing. Sections of the walls and part of the huge fireplace are all that remain of the once-popular outlaw hangout.

Preceded onward towards Mountain Valley Station laying in the Tognini Mountains. As we descended into Long Valley the alkaline became a handful in certain sections and road had many major ruts and washouts

Time to take a break at the cross roads in the middle of the valley.

After a short break we start heading back into the higher country, it was here we started hitting gates. None of them with any signage, (Remember leave it the way you found it) so close, opened and closed numerous gates.

Mountain Valley itself sits on private land that was posted; looks like it sit in a nice lush green meadow off to our left as we passed by.

Mountain Spring Station Elev: 7284

As we started dropping into Ruby Valley it really started to get interesting and the road demanded much more attention. I am glad we are on it now while still crusted over

here come the boys

Finally arrive at where Ruby Station was suppose to be, only thing there was a small fenced area and DEEP POOF dust. I had forgotten I read the site was moved to Elko many years ago due to vandalism.

Ruby Valley Station Elev: 6031
The uncommonly rich soil of the Ruby Valley enabled the Ruby Valley Station to grow food and hay for riders and nearby stations. The relatively lush surroundings also supported nearby Shoshone and army camps. One of the more heroic stories from the Nevada Pony Express comes
from this station, where, upon learning that every station between Ruby Valley and Salt Lake City had been destroyed by warring Indians, rider Billy Fisher rode the entire 300 miles between the two. A brass marker, provided by the Northeastern Nevada Historical Society, identifies the
site. About 3 miles north of Ruby Valley is the old location of Fort Ruby
Eventually the route was taken over by the Overland Stage and operated until 1869. Indians plagued the stage line during the 1860s so it was decided the necessity to protect the stage line and nearby settlers, so Fort Ruby was established in late 1862. Life at Fort Ruby was less than
ideal, as the fort acquired the label “fever breeder” or “hospital filler.” The fort was officially abandoned on September 20, 1869. No buildings from Fort Ruby exist. In July 1992 the last two remaining buildings, the officers’ quarters and barracks, burned.

We rode on over the Overland Pass and made the decision to head south towards Eureka some 40 miles south and call it a day.

Steve run out of gas about 9 miles out and literally turn his bike upside down to get what he could... we all rolled into town on reserve. that was cutting it close 247 miles actual for the day.

End of Day 1

Aldous Huxley

Idahosam screwed with this post 06-02-2013 at 01:33 PM
Old 06-02-2013, 02:37 PM   #37
stevh0
Super Retard.

Oddometer: 1,354
Subscribed.
Ex 950ADV
Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:10 PM   #38
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,095
Me too.
I like ride reports like this with an eye for the story of the land.
And have an interest in the pony express as well.
Good writing too.
Keep it coming

Some lubricant
Old 06-02-2013, 05:36 PM   #39
* SHAG *
Unstable

Oddometer: 4,188
Cool! I have actually stopped at that marker/ rest area on 93 South of Wendover 3 times on the way to Rachel and Hoover Dam. I thought I remember some buildings across the road also?
05-GS- Rock Red 88k
06-GS- Dakar-40k Sold
* SHAG * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:50 PM   #40
GhostRunner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Very good...Tough country.

Mick
And they roam the world at will."
Robert Service
'08 DR650 Lots of goodies
GhostRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #41
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,702
Very nice Idahosam...

...this is on my bucket list hopefully in the next year or two, I'll be doing it on a KLR . Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:11 AM   #42
silverspurs
what's over there?

Oddometer: 740
Quote:

Yup... work (and wife) are issues that impact riding time... just last night we had a discussion about the need for me to do more yard work around here...

Now that I've got the super 10, I'm seriously considering trading the KLR for a DRZ 400 or similar for rides just like this one... thanks for taking us along! great stuff

silverspurs screwed with this post 06-03-2013 at 12:19 AM
silverspurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:17 AM   #43
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,407
I'm N !

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:40 AM   #44
cbmma1969
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 668
Four letter words

Yep, wife, work, yard all get in the way of adventures like this. Would have loved to tagged along but words got in the way.

Great ride report Sam.
The traveler is active; he goes strenuously in search of people, of adventure, or experience. The tourist is passive; he expects interesting things to happen to him. DANIEL J. BOORSTIN, attributed, Voyages of Discover
cbmma1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:09 AM   #45
ct-ktm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,102
Great report as usual..

ct-ktm is offline   Reply With Quote