Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2013, 09:48 AM   #91
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by byways View Post
Well, I guess u don't procrastinate when it comes to writing like normal people.
Truth be told, I been nursing an injured leg. I haven't gotten to that part yet, you remember I mentioned going down on the leg.... it ain't over yet. Doctor was very specific to stay off it, sorta had no choice lot's of ice packs and cringing; I just don't heal like I use to! Sitting around the house had to do something.

All that said I'll pick it up again, but I need to get out of the house so this RR will suffer a little, maybe a little fishing.

This is what the PE morphed into east of Dry Creek. I figured I missed about 15 miles and Simpson Park Station. with my leg and the steepness I didn't want to chance it.. I may be back for that section.

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley

Idahosam screwed with this post 06-06-2013 at 09:56 AM
Idahosam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:53 AM   #92
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
I have friend who promotes Endurance horse race on PX every few years. Two years ago, I rode a lot of it to check GPS tracs and gates in front of horses for him.

I have complete GPS tracks for Nevada on GPSXchange.com I have bypasses for all gates.

I've never even heard of GPSXchange.com till now. All said, I am very happy with my research, gave me a sense of ownership and pride in my work and the route, it was spot on all the way through.

It was a very rewarding feeling to follow a route that I never actually rode and see the PE markers periodically all along the way.

There was only one gate I came across that was actually locked and posted the whole way.

Thanks for the heads up.

Aldous Huxley

Idahosam screwed with this post 06-06-2013 at 10:00 AM
Old 06-06-2013, 12:30 PM   #93
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
Sped through this to catch up. Lots of great history. Got go back and start reading the fine print so to speak, so I don't miss anything. Basically I just looked at the pictures...so far!! Looked like a great adventure ride!

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:21 AM   #94
coolsen
Enjoying the Ride

Oddometer: 117
Laugh From Austin and Beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam View Post
.....I am going to take a short break right now and hopefully one or two of my compadre's will contribute some of their prospective of the ride up to this point.
I'll fill a little detail while Idahosam is on break for a few days.

Leaving Dry Creek Station, we doubled back to Hwy 50 and into Austin. Austin is an interesting town with a character all its own. This is the view coming into Austin.

We did not stay at the Mountain Motel with its "state of the art heating and air conditioning."

We stayed here instead.

Shortly after leaving Austin the next morning, we had a little creek crossing when we encountered this bridge that was.

You can see the alkali build up on our tires after crossing the creek.

Not much further we were back to Hwy 50 where we encountered this historic marker about Jacobsville. It was the first county seat of Lander County and served as a stage and mail stop for the Overland Stage. It also served as a Pony Express station in 1860. Despite what they sign says, we could not find anything of substance that would indicate where the old town site used to be.

Crossing Hwy 50 to the south, we followed a two-track trail until we encountered this poor fellow that serves as a reminder of how harsh conditions are out here, especially later in the summer when it is very hot and dry.

Not far from here we came to the Smith Creek Ranch where we encountered this sign.

Please respect the sign. The owners are very friendly and willing to have you on their property as long as you respect their rights and consider it a privilege by permission to be on their property, not a right. The ranch is a very large one extending over the Desato Mountains all the way back to Hwy 50.

The Smith Creek Station is on private property on this ranch. They have done extensive restoration to the old station and maintain it very well.

Smith Creek Station served as a home station for the Pony Express and supplied needed materials and and provisions to the smaller stations east and west of it. A little above this station we encountered this single room adobe building from the same time period that served as a school.

After passing through the ranch headquarters area, we stopped for lunch and a rest just above Smith Creek Reservoir. Some of our party even took a well deserved nap.

Not 2 or 3 hundred yards above, we encountered locked gates. Returning to the ranch headquarters, we spoke with the owner, who as I said was very friendly and helpful. He gave use permission to pass and made arrangements for the locked gates to be opened.

We proceeded up Smith Creek to the summit of the Desato Mountains and encountered the only other vehicles (other than those encountered during short stretches on the highways) on this entire journey across Nevada - 5 ATVs. They were coming up Edwards Cree Canyon. We found out they were camped (RV) at the bottom of the canyon and were just riding up to the locked gates.

Further down Edwards Cree Canyon we came to the Overland Mail Station, still on the Smith Creek Ranch property. It likewise is well maintained.

At the mouth of Edwards Creek Canyon we came to the remaining rock walls of the Edwards Creek Station probably built in 1861 initially for the Overland Stage. It was used briefly by the Pony Express.

More to come shortly...
coolsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:36 AM   #95
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,065
really cool pics, thanks
Old 06-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #96
coolsen
Enjoying the Ride

Oddometer: 117
More of Day 3

From where the Old Overland Road in Edwards Creek Canyon joins Hwy 50 it is a short distance to Cold Springs where we got some ice cream and apple pie. Near there is this information kiosk about the Pony Express Trail and Cold Springs Station.

The Cold Springs Station was built in March 1860 and was ready for the opening run of the Pony Express. It was one of the largest and strongest stations built, and also served as a home station. It came under attach by Paiute Indians in May 11, 1860, during the Pyramid Lake Indian War, and John William, the stationkeeper at the time, was killed and the stock were run off.

During the summer of 1976 the Cold Springs and Sand Springs stations underwent extensive archaeological survey and many artifacts were found shedding an interesting perspective into the development of Pony Express station life. The Cold Springs Station was built from local rock and measured 121 feet by 53 feet. It had a living space, black smith area, a corral and a stable area. There was a fireplace in the living area. The remains of the station are next to Hwy 50 behind a protective chain link fence.

Not far from Cold Springs Station is Middlegate where we again met Andy from New Zealand riding a bicycle across the US from New York to San Francisco. We first met Andy coming into Eureka. We met him the next day (day 2) in Austin. Each morning he left about the same time we did, and each day he beat us to the next destination. It was about 3:00 PM when we pulled into Middlegate, and here is sitting on the left. The fellow standing on the right was on a road ride.

The exact location of Middlegate Station is unknown, but it might be near current day Middlegate.

It was a short distance west on Hwy 50 over West Gate and Drumm Summits and Sand Springs Pass to the next station, Sand Springs Station, which is located less than a mile off the highway near Sand Mountain Dunes OHV staging area. This is a popular spot for ATVs, sand buggies and bikes with paddle wheels. The dunes are 600 feet tall.

Sand Springs Station is built similar to Cold Springs Station. There are the two largest stations in Nevada. You can walk around and inside the walls of this station, and there is informative signage telling about life in the Pony Express station.

Smithe's Cree, Cold Springs and Sand Springs stations are all parts of "Pony" Bob Haslam's famous story of the longest ride in Pony Express history that occurred during the height of the Paiute Indian War (often referred to as the Pyramid Lake Indian War). He rode regularly from Friday's (near the south end of Lake Tahoe) to Buckland's Station about 30 miles east of Carson City. When he reached Reeds Station (west of Buckland's), there were no horses available for him to exchange. The horses had been taken by the volunteers who were looking for the Indians who had attacked and killed some settlers. Pony Bob continued on to Buchland's Station where the next rider, Johnson Richardson, refused to take the mail. C. W. Marley, the superintendent offered Pony Bob $50.00 extra to ride on, which he accepted . He arrived safely at Carson Sink and continued on to Sand Springs, changed horses again and rode to Cold Springs. He made it to Smith's Creek, a distance of 190 miles, where J. Kelly took over continuing the run east. Nine hours later he started his return run. At Cold Springs he found the station burned, the keeper killed and no horses. He arrived safely at Sand Springs, changed horses and persuaded the station keeper to return with him. At Carson Sink her men were badly frightened after seeing fifty warriors nearby. Pony Bob rested briefly and then continued on to Buckland's Station where the superintendent raised his offer to $100.00. Again he rested briefly and then continued his run back to Friday's Station, a total distance of 380 miles, and he had kept the mail on schedule. (See W. E. Hill's "The Pony Express Trail Yesterday and Today.")

Leaving Sand Springs Station, we crossed to the south side of Hwy 50 and proceeded over Salt Wells Basin up the Bunejug Mountains. This Pony Express historic sign was near a natural gas pumping station.

As we proceeded up to Simpson,s Pass, the sand got deeper and deeper. There were a few steep ascents where the sand was particularly deep, and we had a few "get-offs" to say the least, and one of the bikes got stuck (mine).

The several hundred yard steep descent down the west side of Simpson Pass in deep sand was particularly difficult. We were all glad to be on DRZ 400s and nothing bigger. Reaching Hwy 95, we turned north into Fallon calling it a day. We stayed at Motel 6 and picked up a few first aid supplies for Idahosam's leg that he mentioned injuring earlier, and which he aggravated today with more "get-offs" in the deep sand.

End of day 3..........We'll pick up day 4 (the last day) after a good night's rest!!
coolsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:23 PM   #97
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Day 3

Howdy All. I needed sometime out as Boise had a busy Saturday with the Ironman competition 70.3 and world class Kayak competition up on the Payette River. Just needed to get out.

Craig put up some cools shots there... Thank you for contributing, I'm sure there is a lot more.

Well so now the cat's out of the proverbial bag, I am still recovering from my injury. WE checked into to our motel in Austin, I nursed my leg as best I could, then hobbled up the street to have dinner and hobbled back. I believe the other guys toured the town a bit, I on the other hand took a large yet safe dose of ibuprofen accompanied with HOT towel treatment. and got off my feet.

How humiliating to be the casualty of my own campaign

So next morning I was feeling a little better, still pretty stiff and limping.... think "Forest Gump" I might not be a bright man, but I can ride a motorcycle! So, onward.

Less than a mile or so out of town we turn off to pick up the trail again, the road looked to be an easy smooth gravel road, Humm, a couple miles later it comes to a dead end, sorta. just behind a fenced off block house is a seldom used two track, could be overlooked. Alas the track said this way onward, and a few miles later we drop off a bluff to a large open alkaline flat there once was a bridge (see Craig picture) we looked around and found a crossing point this is where my Waypoint said Jacobsville was located looked like with the lack of vegetation it could have been

Reese River Station/Jacobsville Elev: 5709
Also known as Jacob’s Spring, Reese River was another station that was targeted by early Indian raids. Jacobsville eventually grew from the station before being abandoned as the Lander County seat in favor of Austin in 1863.

Here I am after fording the Reese River......... all 2 feet of it

A short distance up the jeep trail over the bluff we come to a fenced area which this too could have been the townsite? and another mile to the highway, open and close the gate to see this.

Jumped on the highway rode a little over a mile to the next turn off, to yet another nondescript gate. Close it up away away we go

A whole lot of this

and a bunch of this

Tough out here in the alkaline

Look hard you can see the road we came up........ if you want to call it a road

Went up over Smith Creek Summit where the road pretty much petered out, dropping us into a wash which we followed for quite awhile

This where it drops into the wash

We discharged out here in Smith Creek Valley.

NOW: Before I go on while negotiating the route up the previously mention trail I had to do a turn around, once again while performing said u-turn at a very slow speed I bounce off a thick grease-wood shrub stalling yet again this time attempting to get out of the bike's way...... to no avail! Same damn leg again only more damage to the ankle area. Son of ##$%^ Biscuit! yea folks I'm just my kicking own Same leg.

So now two very slow speed drops on uneven terrain. But I can ride a motorcycle. My shortness it really getting the best of me OR!! I need to stop turning around. wisdom says to just get off the bike and push it around.

So we cross the Valley floor heading towards Smith's Creek Station and Ranch.

Aldous Huxley

Idahosam screwed with this post 06-09-2013 at 12:31 PM
Old 06-09-2013, 01:48 PM   #98
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,905
Looks like you did not actually ride up to Cold Springs station. Very well restored/preserved by BLM. Big history at this place. Every one killed and is beg part of Pony Bob's long ride.

From it you can jog over to old old 50 & Eastgate.

Any dirt route basically ends at Dayton at end of Ft Churchill Rd. Be sure and go to old Fort Churchill. There is one wall left of the old PX station in Dayton on a side street. If you need any R&R or repair service after you get to Dayton, I am only 20 minutes away in Carson.

Countdown screwed with this post 06-09-2013 at 01:54 PM
Countdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:28 PM   #99
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Quote:
Looks like you did not actually ride up to Cold Springs station. Very well restored/preserved by BLM. Big history at this place. Every one killed and is beg part of Pony Bob's long ride.

From it you can jog over to old old 50 & Eastgate.

Any dirt route basically ends at Dayton at end of Ft Churchill Rd. Be sure and go to old Fort Churchill. There is one wall left of the old PX station in Dayton on a side street. If you need any R&R or repair service after you get to Dayton, I am only 20 minutes away in Carson.

Hi Countdown: I am not quite there yet in my storyline yet. But Yes, From Craig's input, Hang around for the rest of the story... OK.

I am going to mention Pony Bob's extraordinary Feat. But I haven't gotten through Smith Creek yet.

Believe it or not I have all those bases covered.

Aldous Huxley
Old 06-09-2013, 02:29 PM   #100
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,662
Really enjoying this Sam------thanks a bunch !!!

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:07 PM   #101
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
I'm late to the party, but in!

I took an overland trip from Idaho Falls to Reno a couple years ago and I Love the Nevada desert, and you made a correct observation, it's friggin' WINDY out there in the spring time!

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "

FloorPoor screwed with this post 06-09-2013 at 08:23 PM
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:21 PM   #102
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam View Post
But Yes, From Craig's input, Hang around for the rest of the story... OK.
I am going to mention Pony Bob's extraordinary Feat. But I haven't gotten through Smith Creek yet.
Don't quite understand, where are you now? PX is very hard to follow west of Smith creek to Sand Mt. BLM does not make it easy to get to Cold Springs Station, you take gate east of Kiosk for it.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #103
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
Really enjoying this Sam------thanks a bunch !!!

BigDog
Hey Mark thanks for dropping in. Glad I could reciprocate as you have entertained me on many of your outstanding Quests. You know the older I get the more I am liking those smaller bikes

Floorpoor, thanks for stopping by,

Aldous Huxley
Old 06-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #104
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Quote:
Don't quite understand, where are you now? PX is very hard to follow west of Smith creek to Sand Mt. BLM does not make it easy to get to Cold Springs Station, you take gate east of Kiosk for it.

Like I said your ahead of me.

Aldous Huxley
Old 06-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #105
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
Got caught up, now I'm going for a evening ride Great report! I love reading reports about exotic locals, but I also love well written reports (like this one) about places I can actually go.

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote