Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #16
pig-bun
Feeding the World

Oddometer: 25
Just picked up a 09 klx250s with 2740 miles for $2500. Looked new, never been off road. Cash/private deal.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:46 PM   #17
RuffnReadyXJ OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
What constitutes a big elevation change? I'm at sea level and plan on riding 0-3k feet from my house. Tahoe and Nevada desert is from 4-6 or 7k average.
RuffnReadyXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:54 PM   #18
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,482
And what type of riding do you plan to do? Streety stuff, dirt roads? Hard core trails at walking speeds? Race pace trails, jumping whoops or skimming them?

For the most part, the well adjusted CV carb is fine, even with big swings in altitude. When you start picking up the pace and upsetting the vac supported slide and flooding the bike from the floats bouncing, you need the dirt oriented carbs, like a FCR that is at the end/peak of its development and benefits from years of R&D by every serious off road race team and rider on the planet.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:17 PM   #19
RuffnReadyXJ OP
Adventurer

I'm a little conservative when I ride but we know how that goes. I'll probably end up hammering it. All in all I hate to admit it but most of the miles will be on road. I live in really urban area so I'll be going up in the hills, riding to work (no freeway and less then 20 miles round trip), taking it to get coffee or what ever. I'm more interested in being able to trailer it to Nevada or where ever and hit up fire roads, open desert and so on. I think of my self of more of an out doors men who likes to sight see and explore but enjoys the ride along the way. If that involves laying the bike down on some rocky sections or crossing some creeks I'm all for it, part of the adventure.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:32 PM   #20
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

I doubt you'd dislike the KLX, or need more than it offers right away. It is a great start that can be modded up to 350cc and pumper carb, pipe, suspension upgrades and the ability to do just about anything pretty well. There isn't a reason it couldn't keep up with your needs as they expand IMO.

If you are not going to tolerate dealing with a choke, well, so be it. I read that quite a bit and don't really get it. I've dealt with clogged injectors and fuel pumps on both my Husaberg and a WR250R. When FI stuff works, they are great. When they don't, they suck.

My $0.02, if/when you get really serious about fast, hard off road, you get the serious bikes, KTM/Husky if you need a legal plate. All the Japanese DS bikes pale by quite a long bit in comparison. By the time you build any of them up to that level, you have spent as much or more and still weigh too much.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:35 PM   #21
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuffnReadyXJ View Post
The WR is friggn nice too. Aluminum frame and I hear the suspension is pretty sweet. I haven't actually price shopped those but I think they are a few grand more around here. Problem is I really like the BMW 650 series like the Sertao and I feel like if I spend that much on a WR I might as well buy the damn BMW.

The price and size of the 250s are great, plus I'm 6 foot 140 pounds all day so I'll wait on a BMW. Especially since this will be my first street legal bike I figure a 250 is a good bike to feel things out on the streets. Plus I'll keep it for ever and pass it down to the hifey wifey or kids one day.

Got a list off Hondas web site of 13 dealers with in a 50 mile radius. Next step I'll call each and write down who has inventory so I can shop around. A lot of these dealers sell Kawis too.

Totally different mission for the BMW 650s, but if they float yer boat, the Husky versions are on fire sale right now.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:50 PM   #22
RuffnReadyXJ OP
Adventurer

How are the service intervals for the Kawi? Mainly valves adjustments and that kind of thing? Do the cams have to be pulled? I'm a auto tech with plenty of experience and resources so doing pretty much any thing isn't a problem... except my time : /
Old 06-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #23
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107591
Old 06-03-2013, 03:30 PM   #24
RuffnReadyXJ OP
Adventurer

Holy sh!? That's a long thread. Definitely more then one coffee to read that. If I went the Kawi route more or less how much are the very basic/min mods required to get it easy to start and all around great to ride?
Old 06-03-2013, 03:41 PM   #25
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

I think you could just bolt the license plate on and go. You might need/want a jetting adjustment but it should run along just fine stock.

Every rider has different preferences. I'd want a pumper carb, slip on and lower gearing, aluminum bars, bark busters, knobbies and delete the signals, tiny tail light, skid plate and such to get off road hard. The suspension wouldn't be far behind either but I ride like I race so different mission for my needs, which is why I have a KTM EXC.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:17 PM   #26
drklr
MotoTrvlr

Oddometer: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuffnReadyXJ View Post
How are the service intervals for the Kawi? Mainly valves adjustments and that kind of thing? Do the cams have to be pulled? I'm a auto tech with plenty of experience and resources so doing pretty much any thing isn't a problem... except my time : /
I believe the valves should be inspected every 7,500. I did mine and followed the manual and tutotorials from the net and it went well, and I have limited mechanical skills.

Mine is a 2007 KLX250S with about 12k miles on it. It is the least needy bike I have owned. Did the basic rejetting when I got it and haven't done anything since.

If you know going in that the bike is slow you won't be dissappointed. I have a dr350 and KLR650 among other bikes, so none of my bikes are fast, so it is not like I am comparing it to a rocket.

But for the way I use it it is fast enough. Commuting, no problem. Enduros at my slow pace. No problem. Touring, not to bad.

I would like EFI for when I ride out in Colorado, but other than that carbs have been fine to me.

With the price of a used model you will be getting a lot of bike for the money.

Good luck with your search...enjoy the process of finding a new ride.

John
Old 06-03-2013, 04:43 PM   #27
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,942
For what you state are your intended uses, the KLX250S, CRF250L, WR250R would all be fine machines

Add in the DR-Z400S if you like, makes better power of course, though the 250s all have a wider ratio, 6-speed tranny so would be better at 55 mph + speeds (the DR-Z will do it fine of course, just with higher RPMs). Weighs about the same as the Honda, a little heavier than the KLX & WRR. On 2-lane blacktop, fire roads, etc, all 4 are fine.

Great class of bike. More fun than they ought to be. Just get one and enjoy.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:51 PM   #28
Sharan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Good comparo here:

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/features/2013Jan250DS.pdf

Cheers
Old 06-03-2013, 05:53 PM   #29
RuffnReadyXJ OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
For what you state are your intended uses, the KLX250S, CRF250L, WR250R would all be fine machines

Add in the DR-Z400S if you like, makes better power of course, though the 250s all have a wider ratio, 6-speed tranny so would be better at 55 mph + speeds (the DR-Z will do it fine of course, just with higher RPMs). Weighs about the same as the Honda, a little heavier than the KLX & WRR. On 2-lane blacktop, fire roads, etc, all 4 are fine.

Great class of bike. More fun than they ought to be. Just get one and enjoy.
I agree, one reason I chose to get a new bike vs a used one is I plan on keeping it for a long time. I've got 3 dealers searching for Hondas, lol. I think I might end up with a Kawi in the end. A few friends and a lot of people on the Internet seem to favor them. I want to do minimal mods on the engine and go all out for farkles like storage, bigger tank and so on. I have owned many modified cars and I want to keep this bike simple and reliable.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #30
flatwoods
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
the kawi has much better and ajustable suspensoin than the honda check out the klx250s kawasaki forum lots of info.
flatwoods is offline   Reply With Quote