Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2013, 07:07 PM   #31
Sharan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
I was going thru the same decision process few years ago, although the Honda wasn't officially on sale then but the specs were already available on interwebs. EFI vs carb wasn't issue.

Riding profile: Commute to work 15 miles round trip on workdays in reasonable weather (otherwise use car), no highway, ordinary dual lane. On weekends hit the connecting gravel roads (10-50km), dual track, single track - rocky, steep climbs, occasional sand, mostly in dry and hot conditions. 51y old, 5'11", 180 attgated.

How a saw it:

Honda - better commuter on road, (softer suspension, comfortable seat, smooth engine)
Kawasaki - better offroad (adjustable suspension, superior cooling system, availability of kickstart, considerably lighter and slightly taller than Honda - big advantage in the bush)
Yamaha - better on road and offroad than both Honda and Kawasaki. Would consider a second hand only as the WR was (is) priced here ridiculously high.

Honda got scratched off the list when the wet weight and non adjustable suspension was confirmed by local dealer.

Within a week I was able to test ride Yamaha and Kawasaki, both second hand stockers. I liked Yamaha very much, but the only reason I ended up with Kwaka was that I didn't like how I have to rev that bike to get it pull. Where I ride the dirt, the tractorin' Kwaka just felt more natural to my style. Maybe I would've got used to it after while, but who knows?

So what I'm trying to say, if you can, ride the bike first, the spec sheet doesn't reveal all there is. The Kwaka on the paper was a clear underdog, but I felt better riding the green bike. I was really torn for couple of days, but then my heart won it over the brain.

All un-corking mods are long done (cheap to re-jet the carb), plus usual farkles (aftermarket muffler, tweaked suspensions, barkbusters, skid plate, rad guards, Tubliss, etc etc) - bike is running like a charm. This one is a keeper.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #32
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,093
WR250r

I love my 08 WRr... that being said MSRP vs MSRP the honda is a better value. However at $5800 OTD, you might be able to score a new (last years model) WRr for the same or a few $$ more, and it is the best bike in the 250 DS category, it competes with the DRZ 400 and that is 150 more cc's.

If the DRZ goes to FI, and a wide ratio box, it will be king of the Dual Sports...
Or if kawasaki goes to 300cc and FI it will be king of the dual sports....
Today though, the WR250r is king...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:35 PM   #33
RuffnReadyXJ OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
My boss keeps telling me to get a DRZ400. Personally I think it's more bike then I need. I'm a skinny ass mofo and want to be able to manage dirt riding easier. Lets say I went the Kawi route and did minimal mods like air box, jet kit and maybe a slip on. Think that would effect mpg much or cold blooded drivability? I guess warming a bike up is only a matter of minutes so really it's no biggie but I just want to keep my junk simple. Ha, I've got my fare share of hot rodded crap so I want to keep my bike reliable as possible.

For being such a "bad economy" people really suck at returning e mails and phone calls. I'm waiting on 4 dealers for replies. Soon as I get a call that they got a CRF in I'm going down there and buying a KLX.

I'm still torn but it seems like the Hondas front end is pretty poor for off road. Problem is the Honda is an outstanding value and honestly my riding style would probably suit either bike just fine.

The WR is pretty bad A but it's just in that in between price range with other bikes I like also dang it.

How does the Kawi cruise at 65ish? I'm not looking for a highway cruiser but I'm a moron some times and would see my self going the distance just because I can.
RuffnReadyXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:39 PM   #34
RuffnReadyXJ OP
Adventurer

I read that article a few posts ago and found this funny. This video is almost opposite of what I read.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NkCNV7Aaets
Old 06-05-2013, 06:50 AM   #35
Auto-X Fil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
The DRZ is much more like a dirt bike with a plate. It's an economy, reliable version of the KTM/Husky sort of Enduro bikes.

The CRF, KLX, and WRR all have wide-range 6-speed transmissions which can make them more versatile than the DRZ.

From what I can tell, the WRR kicks the other two all over the place, but you pay for it. For my use, I can't justify the extra coin.

I love the feel of the CRF. It's one of those bikes that's more than the spec sheet indicates. However, it's more street-oriented than you'd expect from the factory. I do 75mph on the slab all the time, and it eats it up without being buzzy, thanks for the smooth motor and tall gearing. Scooting around town is a riot. New tires and gearing are needed to make it feel like a trail bike. Mine is stock and I beat it around off-road just fine, but I ride a lot of pavement, too. My wife's dad is more 50/50, and I geared his way down and put knobbies on it. Really, for that use, the KLX or DRZ is a better fit for similar money, but he hates carbs.

If you want the most simple to use, reliable bike you can get, the Honda works really well. At $4500, I recommend it as a great bargain. At $5800, I'm questioning that. I suggest finding an out-of-town dealer and riding it back. They are out there for MSRP.

I'm your size, and the Honda feels a little small to me. If I had been able to find a used WRR in good shape, I'd take it over the Honda, hands-down. More dirt performance, while giving up nothing on the road? Sounds good.
Auto-X Fil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:08 AM   #36
Auto-X Fil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Here's a great write-up. I like how they focus on newer riders.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=1627

Their final decision is what I reached as well - yeah, the Honda doesn't stack up on paper. But, one the trail and the road, it those small differences in numbers don't show up as much as you might think. And the difference in price seems pretty large by comparison.
Auto-X Fil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:34 AM   #37
RuffnReadyXJ OP
Adventurer

Ultimately I'll just have to go down there and start haggling or walking out to see what I can get. Msrp on the Honda 45hundo, 310 destination charge and CA taxes and fees are about 500 so I'm looking at 5300 minimum plus that extra 500 bs the dealer tacks on. I think 5100 to 5300 otd is fair for both parties.

Let's say they won't budge on a Honda because it's the new thing right now but they will on a KLX then I'll get a klx. The way is looking right now just suspension alone I'm thinking klx is it for me.

The funny part is the Honda is 5800 otd and its 45hundo new, the Kawi right next to it at the same dealer is 5800 otd but it's 5100 new...obviously the is 600 dollars of wiggle room if both new bikes are the same price yet different msrp.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:45 AM   #38
battlecattle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
This may not mean much to you but I ordered a 2014 crf250l which will be here the end of the month. OTD no tax or tags(bought out of state) for $4995 including a 5 year unlimited mile warranty. My local dealer quoted me almost $1300 more for exactly the same thing.
2014 CRF250L
battlecattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:57 AM   #39
zeeko
shiver me timbers

Oddometer: 62
KLX vote

I picked up a KLX about 6 months ago and after putting almost 5k miles on it I am pretty happy. For no particular reason Kawasaki has never really been high on my list but the KLX has exceeded my expectations.

There are pretty much only 2 250 enduro/dirt bikes where I live-the KLX and the CRF. Thing is, they are both FI bikes here so I basically flipped a coin.

In reality I think either bike is going to work great for you but I'm a little biased now so I'll vouch for the KLX...plus it's cheaper.
zeeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:20 AM   #40
battlecattle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeko View Post
Thing is, they are both FI bikes here so I basically flipped a coin.
Ummm no, KLX is not FI
2014 CRF250L
battlecattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:50 AM   #41
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
The new KLX250S's are fuel injected in other countries, the US ones sold here are not, don't know the reason for that, maybe it's to keep the cost of the US model down, it's already $500 more then the CRF250L and it's fuel injected.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:51 AM   #42
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,740
Keeping it long term?

You did say you were keeping it long term. As your experience grows, you may feel the need for more speed. With the KLX you have many options. Heres one;
http://kustom-kraft.com/klx250bb.html
The Honda being too new, the after market can't compare with whats out there available now for the KLX. Everone that installs the big bore kits on their KLX says they're great and have no issues afterward. Are you going to be satisified with a 250 in 3 years?
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #43
RuffnReadyXJ OP
Adventurer

Got a call from the local dealer. No Hondas yet and 2012 KLXs in stock. Soon as I get back in town I'll head down there and see what happens. Hopefully they'll wheel and deal more since the Kawi is plentiful. I'm pretty much set on that now.

How are the Kawi cooling systems with the big bore kits? Long term reliability good? Can the stock carb be re jetted for them?

I'm thinking I'll keep the 250 long as I can and if my needs really change I'll get some kind of 650 for longer trip type rides.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:59 AM   #44
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuffnReadyXJ View Post
Got a call from the local dealer. No Hondas yet and 2012 KLXs in stock. Soon as I get back in town I'll head down there and see what happens. Hopefully they'll wheel and deal more since the Kawi is plentiful. I'm pretty much set on that now.

How are the Kawi cooling systems with the big bore kits? Long term reliability good? Can the stock carb be re jetted for them?

I'm thinking I'll keep the 250 long as I can and if my needs really change I'll get some kind of 650 for longer trip type rides.
If you get the WR250R you wont need a 650 also.
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:00 PM   #45
mjs91882
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuffnReadyXJ View Post

My local dealer doesn't have any Hondas in stock now either. I saw 1 KLX. I think you might be able to get him to go down on the KLX close to what the Honda would cost. Just tell him you have cash and to take it or leave it!! Personally the KLX looks like a great bike but I want something FI. So im looking at the Honda Crf250l and the Yamaha Xt250 which new in 2013 is FI. I would get a used Yamaha wr250r if I could find one for a fair price and in good working condition..
mjs91882 is offline   Reply With Quote