User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2013, 02:05 PM   #46
St.Stan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Quote:
How are the Kawi cooling systems with the big bore kits? Long term reliability good? Can the stock carb be re jetted for them?
The stock carb works fine with a 300cc cyl. It's also not too altitude sensitive if it's not jetted too rich, I live at 1600 feet and have been as low as sea level and as high as 8500 feet (Carson Pass) without any fueling issues. In hot weather going slow on trails I've kicked the fan on with the stock setup as much as the current one but have never boiled the coolant or gotten into any kind of trouble.

I got my '09 in August 2008 (it was KLX vs DRZ for me at the time) and my first impression was that it was pretty down on power. Swapping the 14t countersprocket to a 13t, adding the bore kit and a slip on, and adjusting the carb settings turned it into a completely different bike.

Also easy maint., bike is sturdy and handles a drop well, valve adjustment is doable yourself with a manual and basic skills. I like it a lot.
St.Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:18 PM   #47
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,688
You are buying at the start of peak riding season. You'd get the best deal in mid-winter. There have been some dealers that would charge no setup and shipping fees in the off season. Where I live dealers hit pretty hard, because you can't drive to another dealer. I could maybe get a deal and have one shipped from the mainland, but the cheapest shipping leaves from San Diego, which means a California bike with all the associated smog crap on it.
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:25 PM   #48
RuffnReadyXJ OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
I see what your saying about riding season. Each Kawi dealer has 2-3 KLXs at a time so I'm hoping the availability drives the cost down. The Hondas seem to be stealing the spot light so I hope that works for me too. I figure I can walk in, make an offer and go to the next place if it doesn't work. I don't think I'm unreasonable either. CA DMV has a calculator for tax and registration for a new vehicle purchase. So if that's 500 bucks or so and the KLX is 5,099 MSRP then I think 5,500 OTD is reasonable for both parties. I'll start lower but I think that's fine. Screw the set up and destination fee, call me an A hole but that's just part of running a store IMHO. Selling parts and gear should more then make up for those kinds of costs.
RuffnReadyXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:04 AM   #49
zeeko
shiver me timbers

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by battlecattle View Post
Ummm no, KLX is not FI
Acceptance will follow denial but, yes, in Asia the KLX is FI.
Hopefully you guys will get them soon with all those hard starting problems I hear about....
zeeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:08 PM   #50
RuffnReadyXJ OP
Adventurer

I dont know what the deal is with these kinds of things. How hard is it to sell efi world wide or make it an option. i still see cars with rear drum brakes and i just think wtf, really?

Spoke to another salesmen, sold out. He was about 1.5 hours from me and I know plenty dealers have inventory still in my area. I was hoping the distance thing would get me a better deal if they wanted a sale bad enough. He was plenty helpful and was willing to chat on the phone for a bit. I asked a few questions and he said 5,800 OTD really isn't bad, especially in my area. It's no steal by any means but it's not highway robbery either. I still know a better deal is out there. I plan on going to different dealers and checking inventory to see how much supply is out there. I took that guys advice with a grain of salt knowing he's a fox guarding the chicken coop. I thanked him for his time and that's that.

Stopped by the company I bank with and turns out the lowest rate they offer is 3.99, that's better then Kawasaki financing. Next step, vist all local dealers and feel them out/scope out inventory.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:48 PM   #51
zeeko
shiver me timbers

Oddometer: 62
I know what you mean-I think the same thing about all of the Toyota Hilux diesels that you can get everywhere but the US.

Are you that dead-set on buying brand new??? I know it's nice to have that new-bike-smell but with rapid depreciation and such I would imagine you could find a nearly new bike at a hefty discount. I paid only $3k for a 2 year old KLX with less than 6k miles on it.
zeeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:02 PM   #52
RuffnReadyXJ OP
Adventurer

I would really like new. I'm weird about breaking things in and doing maintenance. It's weird because I never buy new cars but I'm Ok with buying a bike new. The other thing is money is cheap right now so I'd rather borrow 5 Grand for a few years then blow it from my bank account. It's just if I don't do a cash deal I'd rather make payments on a new bike then a used one. Perhaps I'm just trying to rationalize something I know I shouldn't do.

Got one quote, 5,899 on a white one, quite a few places seem to be sold out. Another guy had the nerve to tell me he is a straight shooter and quoted me 6500 otd.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:42 PM   #53
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,122
250cc

Buying new, the CRF is the clear winner due to MSRP. The WRr is an excellent bike, much better than the CRF, and if you have the $$$ buy the WRr. The KLX (USA model) lacks FI, and sorry to all you carb guys, once you have FI, it is hard to consider going backwards in time to a carb.

I own a WRr, it is the first bike with FI I have owned, and I love it... turn the key (at any temperature) and hit the starter button, and go. No choke, no hesitation, the damn thing starts...

All of the bikes are good modern 250's though, the KLX is only lacking in FI, and if I were a gambling man, I'd say the 2014 klx will be FI and maybe 300cc. A 300cc FI KLX would dominate the market though... Does kawi have the balls? They did it with the "little" Ninja...

Clearly though, the Honda is the best value, no question, end of story...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:53 PM   #54
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,122
RuffnreadyXJ

by your user name I would assume you are an XJ owner, and most likely, enjoy the benefits of FI, unless you have a V6 xj with a peugeot tranny (unlikely), I'm not even sure the v6 had a carb or the 4 banger of similar vintage... My I6 98 xj was awesome on the trails. Sold it though, could not justify the expense in gas the other 360 days a year...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:38 PM   #55
RuffnReadyXJ OP
Adventurer

If the new KLX was what you predict that would be Frick'n sick. I agree on the carb, it is kind of bass akwards. I can live with it though, I've got an old 66 GT Mustang and I use to daily drive it for 4 years. It got old but I still love it. I've got a Jeep too. It's a 4 door XJ, 6.5 lift, 33s, locked front and rear, 4 to 1 t case, oba, the whole 9 yards. I love it.

Can't wait to load up my little crappy trailer, set up a base camp and go ride. Bikes are so much cheaper then wheeling is amazing.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:35 AM   #56
mjs91882
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by byron555 View Post
Buying new, the CRF is the clear winner due to MSRP. The WRr is an excellent bike, much better than the CRF, and if you have the $$$ buy the WRr. The KLX (USA model) lacks FI, and sorry to all you carb guys, once you have FI, it is hard to consider going backwards in time to a carb.

I own a WRr, it is the first bike with FI I have owned, and I love it... turn the key (at any temperature) and hit the starter button, and go. No choke, no hesitation, the damn thing starts...

All of the bikes are good modern 250's though, the KLX is only lacking in FI, and if I were a gambling man, I'd say the 2014 klx will be FI and maybe 300cc. A 300cc FI KLX would dominate the market though... Does kawi have the balls? They did it with the "little" Ninja...

Clearly though, the Honda is the best value, no question, end of story...

Honda is the best bang for the buck, but yes the Wr250r is the best bike in the 250 class. I would love to see Kawasaki come out with a KLX300 that's FI. We can dream right??? Thats what i want though!!
mjs91882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:20 PM   #57
RuffnReadyXJ OP
Adventurer

Got one! Did my research, called around, got offers then called my local dealer who wanted 6k to 6200 out the door and offered 5,650, they accepted. Not a steal of a deal but I'm happy, I'd say its fair for both parties and quite frankly living in the Bay Area supply is limited and plenty of people over pay so they are "in demand" at the dealers. Im satisfied with the local shop and I plan on supporting them for most of my service parts I will be buying for maintenance.

Oh it's a 2012, green with black. It's the color I wanted and was hard to find. I got better then Kawi offered for financing also. All in all I'm a happy camper. I should be able to pick it up tomorrow or Thursday. It's got zero miles and still needs to be PDI'd before I can take it.

I will post a build thread soon as the farkles begin. First order of business is wind shield, hand guards, carb jet kit and a IMS or similar tank.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #58
aCab
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by battlecattle View Post
This may not mean much to you but I ordered a 2014 crf250l which will be here the end of the month. OTD no tax or tags(bought out of state) for $4995 including a 5 year unlimited mile warranty. My local dealer quoted me almost $1300 more for exactly the same thing.
Josh, where was this? That sounds like an awesome deal. I want to pick one of these up and turn it into an SM for some totd/surrounding roads fun for when I move back to ATL. We can be twinsies!

- Austin C
aCab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:26 PM   #59
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by byron555 View Post
The KLX (USA model) lacks FI, and sorry to all you carb guys, once you have FI, it is hard to consider going backwards in time to a carb.
Not really. I've had EFI toys and cages for years. The carb on a DR650 is simple, and hasn't caused me any trouble starting off. Even my '89 Radian starts on cold mornings...in Chicago winters. Fixing the EFI and ECU on my Jeep YJ was a PITA, even if it was relatively simple.

EFI can be nicer for MPG and if you let your bike sit for long periods. It typically doesn't gum up as easily as a carb. A field-fixable carb can be preferable if you're riding out where EFI issues can mean a long walk or worse though, or if you do all your own work. EFI systems have even baffled dealer techs at times.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:36 PM   #60
RuffnReadyXJ OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
Not really. I've had EFI toys and cages for years. The carb on a DR650 is simple, and hasn't caused me any trouble starting off. Even my '89 Radian starts on cold mornings...in Chicago winters. Fixing the EFI and ECU on my Jeep YJ was a PITA, even if it was relatively simple.

EFI can be nicer for MPG and if you let your bike sit for long periods. It typically doesn't gum up as easily as a carb. A field-fixable carb can be preferable if you're riding out where EFI issues can mean a long walk or worse though, or if you do all your own work. EFI systems have even baffled dealer techs at times.
Both have pros and cons. Being a auto tech and knowing both types of systems well I say efi is the better choice. I will admit if efi fails out in the field your pretty much done. A little piece of dirt can ruin your day if it gets in a carb but at least you have hope. If a pump or injector fails you just need a new part and that's it.