ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
cccolin OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 687
Tail of the Dragon this time of year?

Hey guys,

so I have a few more days off here in upstate South Carolina before I head back to Brooklyn, and most of my family is working/gf isn't getting here until Monday, so I was thinking about heading up and hitting the Dragon tomorrow. Anyone been through there recently, or this time of year? The temps look doable with the gear I have, but is there ice to watch out for, etc?

Cheers
cccolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:14 PM   #2
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,208
A warm day in winter is the best possible time to be there, hypothetically speaking.

(unless you just wanted to have your picture taken)
Old 12-26-2013, 09:23 PM   #3
JoeWannaB
Usually a nice guy

Oddometer: 1,910
You should be good to go for tomorrow. Dry sunny (but cold) day in the forecast. Be aware that if you see any wet pavement in a shady spot, it is likely ice. Watch for leaves and other tree debris in the road as we've had some wind the past few days.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:29 AM   #4
cccolin OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knybanjo View Post
A warm day in winter is the best possible time to be there, hypothetically speaking.

(unless you just wanted to have your picture taken)

yr right, I found that out riding the Blue Ridge and Skyline in November. No tourists, and no park rangers. bit worried about that ice, though. may decide to head south into warmer climes. we'll see how I feel in the morning, I guess. thanks, guys!
Old 12-27-2013, 06:37 AM   #5
JoeWannaB
Usually a nice guy

Oddometer: 1,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaced_ghost View Post

yr right, I found that out riding the Blue Ridge and Skyline in November. No tourists, and no park rangers. bit worried about that ice, though. may decide to head south into warmer climes. we'll see how I feel in the morning, I guess. thanks, guys!
Didn't mean to scare you off. Roads are dry. I only mentioned the ice because Yesterday I came across a section of road (not the dragon) where a wet spring had jumped its ditch and had a 12' swath of 1/2" water across the road in a tight curve that hasn't seen direct sunlight since October. At first, I thought it was just water as it was middle of the afternoon and air temps were above freezing but I slowed down considerably just to be safe. It was a good thing as it was a very smooth sheet of ice. Perfect example of black ice. Looked wet all the way up to when I crossed it. Deals Gap should be really fun today but be careful. You'll likely be alone out there and if you do skitter off the road, they may never find you.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:11 AM   #6
cccolin OP
Studly Adventurer

buddy said he rode the last two days and it was fine. thanks for the warning! heading out now.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:54 PM   #7
kdscoates
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,477
I was on the dragon today and it was awesome
saw 1 wing with 2 sport bikes, one other wing solo, one bad ass ktm 450smr , and one nice air cooled Porsche 96 I think.

Well my 2 riding buds also.
Best time to ride the dragon is clear and cold and when the t-shirt shop and beer counter is closed!

Awesome day!!

quote from 4runner "but,if you really need a 80/20 , which most of us do and won't admit it,"

kdscoates screwed with this post 12-27-2013 at 06:01 PM
kdscoates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:04 PM   #8
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdscoates View Post
I was on the dragon today and it was awesome
saw 1 wing with 2 sport bikes, one other wing solo, one bad ass ktm 450smr , and one nice air cooled Porsche 96 I think.

Well my 2 riding buds also.
Best time to ride the dragon is clear and cold and when the t-shirt shop and beer counter is closed!

Awesome day!!

Yep, Was on the part of the Blue Ridge Parkway that was open yesterday and exploring the dirt roads around Mills River. Only saw one car on the road in the first two hours of riding and no bikes.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:58 AM   #9
cccolin OP
Studly Adventurer

Did it yesterday, going back through today. Its all grey today and a bit cold this morning, not as nice as yesterday.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:19 PM   #10
cccolin OP
Studly Adventurer

Today was good the first pass through, but it started raining on me on the way back. Rainy riding on the dragon is...interesting. good times all in all.