Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2013, 04:48 AM   #1
JTT OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,519
2610 to ?

My old realiable 2610 is no longer supported and I can't up date maps and tey are getting a little long in the tooth, so I am reluctantly looking for an alternative. I've tried doing some reading on newer models, but struggling, as priorities of others appear slightly different from mine.

I really don't ask much from my GPS. Sure I'd like some of the bling, XM, lanes, 3D, but really the thing I love most about my 2610 is it's ability to screen routes, that is to say, avoid interstates, major road, secondary roads, etc, leaving me with often really cool routes through places I would have never found on my own. Can any of the motorcycle friendly (waterproof mainly) "modern" units do this?
JTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:37 PM   #2
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTT View Post
My old realiable 2610 is no longer supported and I can't up date maps and tey are getting a little long in the tooth, so I am reluctantly looking for an alternative. I've tried doing some reading on newer models, but struggling, as priorities of others appear slightly different from mine.

I really don't ask much from my GPS. Sure I'd like some of the bling, XM, lanes, 3D, but really the thing I love most about my 2610 is it's ability to screen routes, that is to say, avoid interstates, major road, secondary roads, etc, leaving me with often really cool routes through places I would have never found on my own. Can any of the motorcycle friendly (waterproof mainly) "modern" units do this?
good luck with this Joe. I drank the Kool-aid and went from my trusty zumo (RIP) to a Montana 600. It's technically worlds better, but, my needs are similar to yours. I miss the simplicity of my Zumo. And, well, that Montana that everyone loves so much sure has lots of quirks.

I've considered selling it off for something simpler. Like you, "I really don't ask much from my GPS." Let me know what you end up with.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:49 AM   #3
moymurfs

Oddometer: 2,172
I went from a 2610 to the zumo 550 quite a while back and yes you can check what "Avoidances" you want. Highways, tolls, U-turns, dirt roads etc. Recaculation can be automatic or prompted. Of course, now, the 550 is an older unit.. I like it over the 2610.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:18 AM   #4
repeters
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
2610 to ?

I loved my 2610's ... it got me through 49 states and routes to Prudhoe Bay, AK and Nova Scotia. I used MapSource to plan and downloaded the routes to my 2610. This worked great and I was happy! At one time I was using two 2610's on the bike at the same time.

As time marched on the 2610 became unreliable and the maps were out of date. I would buy another on eBay ... but eventually they all failed :-( I had 5 or 6 of them.

One day I decided to try the Nuvi from my car ... and I've been using that ever since. I like the lifetime maps/traffic, lane assist, it shows the speed limit, and since I have suddenly gotten old ... I like the larger 4.3 inch screen. It took a while but I can now do everything with BaseCamp that I used to do with MapSource. OK ... It isn't waterproof but I just put a ziplock over it in the rain.

If you need heavy duty/off road and waterproof ... IMHO you should just go ahead and get a Zumo or a Montana. I don't ride as much as I used to, but if you are doing mostly roads ... you might consider a Nuvi ... it's worked for me.
repeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:44 PM   #5
ghostryder
made it

Oddometer: 5,657
Good luck trying to find a replacement for the 2610.....rock solid and simple. I have been using a zumo for a few years, and I have learned how to deal with it but still miss the routing, and simplicity of the 2610. The 550's are reasonably priced used, and mine has been pretty solid so far.
ghostryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:52 PM   #6
JTT OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks everyone!

I've seen a few 550s come up used, but also thought I remembered seeing bad reviews of the Zumos? Maybe not. My other concern with the 550 is that being presently discontinued, that support will also go away in the near future. Maybe it's worth spending the extra $100-$200 on a new 350, 660 or 665? I love researching and hunting for riding gear, but for some reason I get no joy out of shopping for a GPS. Its like shopping for car insurance
Old 06-12-2013, 02:56 PM   #7
ghostryder
made it

Oddometer: 5,657
My only problem that I had with mine was a few pixels on the screen took a dump. Sent it back to Garmin and got a new one....no problem. Been solid ever since. Good luck with your search.
ghostryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:04 AM   #8
Lat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Shop for 2720 or 2820!

I'm on my third old school Garmin, if you count the Navigator II that came with my '05 GS (that started acting up at !0K miles). #3, pictured below, was to upgrade to NT maps.

Both the 2720 and 2820 use NT maps, so you have the comfort of knowing you may upgrade the maps to Garmin's latest greatest - for the life of the unit, or until Garmin redesigns the file format of their current line. Either model will fit your 2610 mounting hardware, and the touch screen is much improved over the 2610. Satellite sensitivity is improved too!

The 2720 is the cheaper way out for rugged old school technology. If you want the expanded use of music files, books on tape, and bluetooth to the phone and/or headset, start shopping the 2820.

The 2610 still has the largest digital speed display and will take whatever routes I want to load via BaseCamp. Just won't show the latest Starbuck's locations w/o loading them.

Yeppers, it is guys like me that keep the price up somewhat on the old hardware. Hth. ~Jeff

Ride For Kids
Lat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:09 AM   #9
macbethandbanquo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
I'm not much of computer geek and like things simple. I have 3 or 4 Street Pilot 2610's and love them. Have the FZ1 wired to take them.

Problem as all have mentioned, the maps are now dated and are no more. (I"ll still hold on to them for BACKUP in my car and on a trip in my topcase.....you never know!

I looked around and considered many others, but the one that I came up with was the

NUVI 550. Not really a motorcycle GPS, more of a car and camping device.

The thing I liked about it was that it was BATTERY run and I didn't need to hook it up to the battery on bike. And each battery would last about 6 hours. I simply bought 2 more batteries and charge them. (Of course, when I transfer it to the car, the car plug does the job..

It is WATERPROOF! That's a biggie. And, I take it off the bike, put it in my pocket and find my way around big cities.

Very versatile and does not cost the high price of the Zumos, which are designed for motorcycles.

I also use this for camping.

Makes for a very compact package ON and OFF the bike.
macbethandbanquo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:03 PM   #10
JTT OP
Beastly Adventurer

Another great unit....discontinued
Old 07-15-2013, 03:34 AM   #11
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,080
Yeah, I loved that old 2610. So simple to use. I think all the newer GPS units will screen routes for you. I have a Montana now, and it will screen for me. Plus it will work with tracks, which is a priority for me. If I didn't need tracks I would be happy with a Zumo. Seems like the closest thing to an uprated 2610.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote