ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2013, 03:10 PM   #31
Nice_Rumble OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vt-Stromer View Post
Absolutely great ride put on by Fred and the Darc gang. A special thanks to everyone for putting up with our 2up non-sense.

We had a great time. Except for the single track episode, we did pretty well.
Nice pics and vid Jon. You take your Strom places most riders would fear to tread, and 2 up to boot. You got home before the rains too.

Nice_Rumble screwed with this post 06-16-2013 at 05:45 PM
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:55 PM   #32
Vt-Stromer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 810
Thanks Fred. Kathy took a beating back there and wants to do it again. Quite the trooper.

Jon
Vt-Stromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:01 PM   #33
Ballics
Dirty Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vt-Stromer View Post
Thanks Fred. Kathy took a beating back there and wants to do it again. Quite the trooper.

Jon
Nice meeting and riding with you and Kathy! Very impressive two up riding!

Jon
Ballics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:12 PM   #34
Ballics
Dirty Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Another great DARC ride!
Big thanks to Fred for hosting and putting together a fun route and a cool lunch stop, the fish tacos were great! Also thank you Skip for the awesome stickers!
I only took a couple of pics :

Rich

Jon
Ballics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:36 PM   #35
grind
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Another great DARC ride! It was great to see familiar faces again and meet some new ones. Awesome route Fred. Great job leading and loved the "funky" lunch spot. I had a great time! Looking forward to the next one.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:39 PM   #36
Vt-Stromer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 810
Black bear sighting.

Kathy & I were toward the rear of this string of bikes when we saw a Black bear to our right. It was going to cross the road when the bikes began going by. The Bear thought better of it and went back up the hill. It was somewhere in the hills of Brownsville. Just one of the great memories from today.
Vt-Stromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:23 PM   #37
Nice_Rumble OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,243
Riders began arriving early. Rain was in the forecast but we would head out and see how far we could get before the front moved in. We had a good turnout of 17 riders and one pillion rider, Kathy who was riding with Jon. KLR's ruled the day in sheer numbers. Smallest was a TW 200cc Yamaha but had no trouble keeping up. A nice mix of bikes and riders all with a similar pace. Thanks to all for bringing your quiet bikes. It's truly a pleasure to ride with a group of responsible riders who try to maintain a low profile. Time to get going as it was beginning to sprinkle down rain.

Fred held an informal riders meeting informing us that we would be riding in horse country today and what to expect.

Once in the first off road section Kevin dropped his GS even with Knobbies.

Kathy making it easier for Jon to navigate the more technical sections. I wonder how miles Kathy hikes during these Adventure rides?

Bob will be leading us on DARC IV around the Tunbridge area later in the summer.

The gas stop was in Hartland on Rt 5.

Back in the hills where the horse farms and views were stunning.

A stop to confer with Alex regarding a possible off road section that we could add to the route.

There were miles of these kinds of dirt roads hidden in the lush green hills.

Fred explaining that the next section would be a challenge for the bigger bikes.

Kevin spooned on some knobbies for todays rode and he was glad he did.

The smallest machine in the group but by no means the slowest.

A nicely set up Yamaha WR250X.

Alex is planning a "4 Corners of Vermont" ride in late July that may be offered as a DARC ride.

After the technical section that had it's share of mud, rocks and water.

Shaggy on his 225 Yamaha.

Everyone accounted for.

Jon glad to have kept his Strom up right through the last section.

Out of the woods on back onto a few more dirt road sections.

Fred found this fun abandoned road section that had some earthen berms to navigate over blocking bridges.

Paul was all smiles.

The lunch stop, the Crazy Side, outside of Bridgewater.

Complete with a petting zoo out back.

I wanted what Fred was having, Fish Tacos.

Jim and Bob discussing motorcycle touring.

Shaggy and Chris enjoying the day.

Kevin and Jon.

Lot's of choices.

I think we overwhelmed the staff but the service was great.

Very friendly staff.

Jon's Strom has had quite a history.

The last off road section before heading back to the finish.

Thanks to everyone who came out today despite the less than stellar weather forecast to partake in DARC II. An excellent group of riders. DARC III is in the planning stages so stay tuned.
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:30 PM   #38
daninghram
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
who was riding the TW200? Looks like fun wish I was there.
daninghram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:18 PM   #39
grind
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daninghram View Post
who was riding the TW200? Looks like fun wish I was there.
That would be me.... I gave it to my wife for our 30th wedding anniversary (first bike) and convinced her I should break it in for her.....
Old 06-16-2013, 09:29 PM   #40
kbroderick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,041
Thanks for putting on another great ride. As usual, I did find mud and gravity to be a tough combination, but I had fun...and this time I made it home without breaking any parts. And yes, I know better than to show up for a DARC ride without knobbies on both ends of the bike...because we all know that I'm not going to ask for a go-round even when I should.

I did grab a few photos:

Close the throttle? Why would you want to do that?

Geez, these piles of dirt are inconveniently placed for accessing the closed bridge.

If you happen to be interested in the Garmin file I've got with the class 4 and legal trail right-of-ways on it, I zipped the map file and uploaded it to http://kevinbroderick.com/dropbox/VTRoads.zip. The short version of using it is: unzip it, double-click it, and use Garmin MapInstall to load it onto your GPS. Red and purple lines are legal for vehicular travel unless specifically restricted by local ordinance, yellow lines are private roads and thus may require permission. Unfortunately, Basecamp doesn't allow display two maps at once as the Montana can do.

Long version: The dataset is from 2011, I believe, and I exported the class 4 roads, legal trails, and private roads from the VTrans_RDS data layer courtesy of VCGI. There are errors in the data (and there have been changes since 2011), but it's a pretty helpful guide; I use it in conjunction with the OpenStreetMap Garmin maps on my Montana, and when I see the red or purple lines indicating class 4 or legal trail, I know to either plan a little extra time or take a different route. I included the private roads from the dataset in yellow, as well, for a similar reason—it makes it easier to look at the map screen and realize that a particular section of road probably isn't a good option. I used QCGI to figure out what data I wanted and export it as the GPX files, so it is possible that I goofed the queries, but I think I managed to get it right. In theory, it would be possible to build a much fancier map that included all the data from the AOT highway maps (including discontinued road sections and differences in surface on class 3 and 4 roads, e.g. "Graded and Drained" vs. "Untraveled / impassable"), but that's a project I have yet to get to.
kbroderick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:08 AM   #41
AdvRich
Parallel Reality

Oddometer: 1,569
Great ride and food Fred! Extra thanks for the fine pre-ride hospitality. That was Sonny and Cher you and Chris were doing by the fire... right?

Good to meet up and ride with everyone. Lots of great pics posted so far. Skip, great job of capturing the ride. Jon love the shot of goofy man by google eyed WR.

I gotta get back to taking more pics on rides. I do have this gratutious WR shot with pure VT backdrop from Saturday's ride up the PDR. We also rode past this spot heading the other way on the main ride.

Also, here's a shot of Kelley Stand Rd (East of Arlington, VT) from the ride list heading up on Saturday. Might be a great hero/tech section for a future DARC ride... not so forgiving as a fall in the mud though.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:40 AM   #42
tdvt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvRich View Post
Also, here's a shot of Kelley Stand Rd (East of Arlington, VT) from the ride list heading up on Saturday. Might be a great hero/tech section for a future DARC ride... not so forgiving as a fall in the mud though.

I'm guessing you made it through? Haven't been on that road since the late 90's.

Looks like you guys had a nice day on Sunday. Pretty rainy up here in the NEK.
tdvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:46 PM   #43
daninghram
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by grind View Post
That would be me.... I gave it to my wife for our 30th wedding anniversary (first bike) and convinced her I should break it in for her.....
i just picked up a 2006, I am in NH near Littleton if you ever need someone to ride with.
daninghram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:29 PM   #44
grind
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daninghram View Post
i just picked up a 2006, I am in NH near Littleton if you ever need someone to ride with.
Sounds good! I'm in Ferrisburgh VT if you are ever this way. Bring that bad boy to the next DARC!!!
Old 06-17-2013, 05:49 PM   #45
AdvRich
Parallel Reality

Oddometer: 1,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdvt View Post
I'm guessing you made it through? Haven't been on that road since the late 90's.

Looks like you guys had a nice day on Sunday. Pretty rainy up here in the NEK.
Nope, that's as far as I went. I still had a good 4 hours of riding ahead of me plus riding solo. Its on the list to revisit though.

Other than a few sprinkles, Sunday's rain held off until just the end. I had a nice 3.5 hr backroad tour ready to go in the GPS when I started home, but it was pouring pretty good shortly after hitting the road. So I took the two hour mainline back. Rained pretty steady and heavy at times over to Rutland before easing up.

Rain you say..? In the NEK....?