User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2013, 02:09 PM   #16
mikesworldtour OP
MikesWorldtour.com

Oddometer: 40
RE: Shooby

Sorry, I can't “bottle/sell” my wife's adventurous spirit, but I can give you some suggestions -- keep in mind these are just suggestions:

Couples are always looking for new and exciting things to do together. My suggestion (even if you have already taken the course) is to buy the both of you a gift – sign up the both of you for the “California Motorcyclist Safety Program.”

For you it may be a refresher course (which I think is a good thing for everybody) but for your wife it is a great opportunity to pilot a motorcycle and earn her motorcycle license – a great confidence builder. Remember, even if things are not going well, constantly encourage her. Let her know that you are excited about the idea of her getting her license and excited to share the experience of the class with her. Do not make it a competition or pressure her to pass the first time.

After she gets her motorcycle license, consider buying her a new motorcycle. On their finger or directly under their butt, women like shiny new things.

Plan a small trip – and I mean small – under 200 miles, with plenty of stops at places where she can relax and shop. And pick a place with a good restaurant. Make your wife as comfortable as possible.

On your next small trip you can be more adventurous. Keep it in the low 200's and maybe even make it an overnight/weekend trip. Plan to do your first night at a campground and your second night at a B&B or Spa Hotel. A B&B or Spa will have the amenities that people love, but if you select (and show off) the right campsite you can begin to introduce her to the wonders of adventure travel and camping. Once again, your wife's comfort is the key to her enjoyment of the journey and will hopefully make her interested in more and more motorcycle travel. Be sure to take the initiative when it comes to the campsite work (unless she wants to help); and, once again, share the experience – teach rather than lead and enjoy the adventure together.

Hopefully over time this will kindle an interest in more and more adventure-style motorcycle travel for the both of you.

If you both have the chance to attend an event like the AMA International Women & Motorcycling Conference (http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/...ndmotorcycling) where she can meet other women who have experienced adventure travel, do not pass it up. My wife went to the last event they had in 2012 and she loved it. She loved meeting fellow women riders and sharing their experiences.

The above are just suggestions. Some people just don't have a interest or desire to adventure travel by motorcycle and that's fine. The trick is to balance your interest in adventure travel with the relationship you have with your spouse.

Good luck, ride safe and keep me posted on your wife's progress.

-Mike and Jasmine Cardwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooby View Post
Awesome! S'scribed here in N. County. My wife sat on a F650 the other day @ EscoBMW. That's all, just sat on it, said "nice". Her idea of "Adventure" is to fly to wherever I'm camped, visit for awhile, then check in at the nearest Ritz. Wride on!
Old 06-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #17
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Oddometer: 667
Mike,
Thanks for your time, input & good advice. Typical story w/ me: Rode "back in the day" gave it up for skydiving pursuits, then marriage, job, blah, blah. Time again to get a bike so went thru MSF a year ago, been to training at Motoventures in Anza and riding almost daily. Wife actually is intrigued with it but hesitant so I'll let her make the choice on her own accord. In the meantime I keep her updated with reports such as these and my own rides. And yes, showing her the new shiny bikes on the showroom floor. She's also showing interest in attending regional meet ups, and although she does like camping (she just likes Ritz's more..) , nice facilities will serve to grease to the skids, so to speak.

Safe travels to you two, we'll be following.
Shooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:15 PM   #18
Radioman
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,945
So where are you starting this trip and where do you plan to go?

Ride safe!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:54 PM   #19
mikesworldtour OP
MikesWorldtour.com

“Skydiving” – Ballsy!! Good for you! I went skydiving one time (a tandem jump with an instructor strapped to my back) and I thought to myself, “okay, that is off my list, I don’t have to do that again.” You have my respect.

Your wife likes camping! Your half way there! Get her the license and off you go to see the world.

Thanks for following. Take care, stay in touch and ride safe.

Quote:
Mike,
Thanks for your time, input & good advice. Typical story w/ me: Rode "back in the day" gave it up for skydiving pursuits, then marriage, job, blah, blah. Time again to get a bike so went thru MSF a year ago, been to training at Motoventures in Anza and riding almost daily. Wife actually is intrigued with it but hesitant so I'll let her make the choice on her own accord. In the meantime I keep her updated with reports such as these and my own rides. And yes, showing her the new shiny bikes on the showroom floor. She's also showing interest in attending regional meet ups, and although she does like camping (she just likes Ritz's more..) , nice facilities will serve to grease to the skids, so to speak.

Safe travels to you two, we'll be following.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:28 PM   #20
mikesworldtour OP
MikesWorldtour.com

RE: Radioman

We are starting from San Diego, CA, USA (32° 48.108'N – 117° 15.045'W).

Here is our plan – open to change:

My wife is a Japanese Citizen – she asked me if she can see America, so the first year we will be traveling mostly in the US (including Alaska) & Canada. We have not decided what we will do during the winter months. We have two choices: 1.) ride south into Mexico & Central America; or, 2.) spend some time with family in the southern states (North & South Carolina and/or Florida). I think we are leaning towards option #2. My wife is a fairly new rider, she has only had her motorbike license for two years, she may need a little break after so much time in the saddle.

If we decide to go with option #2 we will make arrangements to ship our motorbikes to Europe in the Spring of 2014. We will ride in Europe until winter and then go to Morocco (maybe southern Italy or Greece) until the spring of 2015 and then ride across Kazakhstan, Mongolia and Russia back to her home country of Japan. I have always wanted to live in a foreign country so we will spend some time in Japan before going to Korea, Australia, New Zealand then over to either Santiago, Chile, or Buenos Aires, Argentina, and work our way back to the USA through South and Central America.

Once again, this plan is completely open to change at any time – we will go where the good weather takes us.

Take care and ride safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
So where are you starting this trip and where do you plan to go?

Ride safe!
Old 06-21-2013, 01:16 PM   #21
mikesworldtour OP
MikesWorldtour.com

Website 'facelift' for our Living Our Dream Tour

Decided to give my website (http://www.mikesworldtour.com) a facelift for this next installment of motorcycle travel. It is not live yet. I just wanted to see what kind of feedback the new look will get.

I look forward to your suggestions.

Ride safe and keep in touch.

-Michael and Jasmine

Old 06-21-2013, 02:00 PM   #22
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 640
Very unique....

This is all completely totally awesome! It's full of energy everywhere you look! Thanks for doing this. Good luck to both of you and stay safe.

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Ride

Oldone screwed with this post 07-16-2013 at 04:48 PM
Oldone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:03 PM   #23
Shooby
Anti-Cager

I like it. Unique indeed. Intuitive tabs.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:09 PM   #24
mikesworldtour OP
MikesWorldtour.com

RE: Oldone

Thanks for the feedback. I hope you enjoy following our adventures here and on my website.

Ride Safe and stay in touch.

-Mike and Jasmine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone View Post
This is all completely totally awesome! It's full of energy everywhere you look! Thanks for doing this. Good luck to both of you and stay safe.

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Ride
Old 06-21-2013, 04:10 PM   #25
mikesworldtour OP
MikesWorldtour.com

Thanks Shooby,

Quote:
I like it. Unique indeed. Intuitive tabs.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:06 PM   #26
mikesworldtour OP
MikesWorldtour.com

Living Our Dream Tour (Part II) – The Power of... “Power”

Living Our Dream Tour (Part II) – The Power of... “Power”

My wife (samurai-rider.com) and I (mikesworldtour.com) are tooling our way up the coast at a nice leisurely pace. Enjoying some of the sights and meeting up with friends and saying our goodbyes.

I have debated and discussed, over and over, with many different people the pros and cons of what 'electronics' I should bring/use on my trip. When I did my first trip around the world I made sure that I had at least one camera that ran on good ol' fashioned AA's. However; with the benefits of increasing technology (camera equipment, communications equipment, computers, tracking devices) the makers of these devices have needed to use prosperity batteries to get longer and longer life from their devices.

I have made it a point to bring some good cameras as-well-as some popular cameras (GoPro) to see how they function. But now I face the need for 'power'. Vast quantities of 'power' every evening to make sure everything is running properly the next day or two.

You can charge a few devices off the auxiliary plug on the motorcycle while running, but I do not fancy the idea of a dead motorbike battery in the morning if I charge everything off the bike while I sleep. Which leads me to making sure I get a campsite with power. Well, that is what I should have done! In an effort to safe a few $$$ the first few evenings we reserved campsites with no power/no water. And now, as I reach for my camera to take a picture that will tell an amazing story I find myself at a loss.

I will make sure to do better in the future with my 'power' usage.

-Mike and Jasmine

Our Tracking --

PreTrip Equipment Testing --

Saying Goodbye To Our King Sized Tempur-Pedic --

Outside Our Favorite Donuts Shop (Surfin' Donuts) --

Check Them Out And Get The Jalapeño, Ham & Cheese Sandwich --

One Of My Wife's Best Friends (Hitomi) --

Saying Farewell To Our Best Friends (L) Matt Youmans (R) Russ Heim --

Ventura Ranch KOA, 7400 Pine Grove Road, Santa Paula, CA 93060 --

Jasmine Enjoying Route 1 On The California Coast --

Hearst Castle --

Hearst Castle Pool --

Samurai-Rider and Hearst Sculpture --

Taking A Break Is A Good Thing --

Gourmet Breakfast (Fruit & Oatmeal) --

Foggy But Still 'Golden' --

See Ladies... Not That Difficult --
Old 07-16-2013, 02:48 PM   #27
mikesworldtour OP
MikesWorldtour.com

Living Our Dream Tour (Part III)– Thick Marine-Layer & National Parks Move Us In-Land

Living Our Dream Tour (Part III) – Thick Marine-Layer & National Parks Move Us In-Land

Riding the Northern California Coast is amazing. The roads are fantastic, and the views are spectacular... when you can see them. As we pass through San Francisco, we visit some more friends; but, begin to experience a thick marine-layer and overcast skies. No worries, the interior of Oregon (north of the great Redwood Trees of California) offers us the Oregon Caves National Monument and the Crater Lake National Park (as-well-as some fantastic riding).

After our visit to these amazing National Parks we continue North to Portland, OR, for 2 days in the 'big' city and a break from camping for 'Samurai-Rider'.

Portland's “Keep Portland Weird” motto lives up to its name with fantastic sights, sounds and food. From here we duck south towards Salem, OR, for the BMW MOA International Rally (http://bmwmoa.org/TheRally.aspx), July 18-21, 2013.

Look for 'Samurai-Rider' (her bike has a little “bling” on the front windscreen”) and say “Hi”!

-Mike and Jasmine

Our Tracking --

Jasmine's Friend Nanaka –

Golden Gate PMP Warrior (http://www.pmpwarrior.org/) –

Evan and Joanne 'GearChic' Donn –

Time for a 'Cow' Picture (cows are kawaii) –

The beautiful (yet gloomy) California Coast (part 1) –

The beautiful (yet gloomy) California Coast (part 2) –

Campsite Japanese Curry (part 1) –

Campsite Japanese Curry (part 2) –

'Drive Thru' Redwood –

Redwood National & State Parks –

Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox –

Not your average trees (Part 1) –

Not your average trees (Part 2) –

Not your average trees (Part 3) –

Not your average trees (Part 4) –

Smokey Bear –

A new state under 'Samurai-Rider's' belt –

Oregon Caves National Monument –

The Caves (Part 1) –

The Caves (Part 2) –

The Caves (Part 3) –

The Caves (Part 4) –

Beer... my friend, your friend, everybody's friend –

New State Sticker!! –

Crater Lake National Park –

CEnjoying the ride to Crater Lake –

Crater Lake –

Who wants to teach this young lady how to ride? –

Crater Lake area –

Crater Lake snow in July –

The legend of 'Mikes famous campsite spaghetti' continues to grow –

A much deserved break from camping –

Keep Portland Weird, live up to its motto –

Japanese comfort food... curry –

Portland Farmers Market with Salted/Caramel Ice Cream –

Portland Farmers Market –

Voodoo Donuts (Part 1) –

Voodoo Donuts (Part 2) –

mikesworldtour screwed with this post 08-08-2013 at 01:37 PM Reason: correcting a mistake - wrong name for THE BEAR
mikesworldtour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #28
Shooby
Anti-Cager

If your still there, this is a great place. Lots of top shelf "friends" there.
13th & Burnside.
http://www.mcmenamins.com/crystalballroom

In case you head downriver, (Astoria, my hometown) I can point you to some great sights and whatnot. Good timing, July is the best time to be in stumptown (pdx). Have fun at the Rally
Old 07-16-2013, 09:04 PM   #29
Mcgee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Sure looks like you two are having fun! Will be looking for you at the rally!
Old 07-17-2013, 01:44 PM   #30
mikesworldtour OP
MikesWorldtour.com

Thanks Shooby, but we missed your information by a day. We are now just south of Salem, OR, at a campsite and will be in Salem for the next few days at the BMW MOA Rally.

Will you be there?? Look for my wife and I and say "HI" -- if not now worries. We will post a report for you.

Keep in touch and ride safe.

-Mike and Jasmine

Quote:
If your still there, this is a great place. Lots of top shelf "friends" there.
13th & Burnside.
http://www.mcmenamins.com/crystalballroom

In case you head downriver, (Astoria, my hometown) I can point you to some great sights and whatnot. Good timing, July is the best time to be in stumptown (pdx). Have fun at the Rally