User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2013, 05:28 PM   #1
momentumadv OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
My Husband's an Idiot

I am a 41-year-old mother of four. I teach Physics at a local high school. My oldest child just graduated from high school. And my husband says that I have a total disregard for my personal safety. He bought himself a Suzuki DR 650. I decided it would be great if we could ride and have adventures together. But I had never ridden before. So, the first thing I did was go and get my temporary motorcycle license and within a week was enrolled in an MSF class.

So, three weeks ago I finished my MSF class. I actually started the class two months ago, but I dropped the bike and hurt my knee. I tried to get back on the bike and finish the class, but my knee swelled so bad that I couldn’t. I was on crutches for two weeks. After I finished the class I had to decide what kind of bike I wanted. I knew that I didn’t want to shift. Thus, I decided I wanted a BMW scooter. Two weeks ago I bought myself a BMW C650. I liked the size, the feel and look of the BMW. I was so excited. I couldn’t wait for my first ride. Alas it would have to wait, as I had to have emergency gallbladder surgery one week ago.

Today was the day. My husband asked if I wanted to go for a ride. Yippee!!! He is usually a wonderful husband, but today he was an idiot (as I said).

This is the first thing he made me ride down on my first ride, our gravel driveway that has huge pits in it.

Hence, see the picture below.

My first scratches. Less than two miles and I have my first scratches. I also broke my back brake handgrip.

But did I let that stop me. No way. If a swollen knee couldn’t stop me then dropping my scooter wouldn’t. I got back up and started my adventure. We rode down our road and went to a nearby state park that has nice slow curvy roads. I have to remember to look through the turns and not watch my speed so much. I was a little nervous, but as seen below I did it and had a great time.

So where should my new adventure rider sticker go, on the front or back scratch?

I can’t wait for my next adventure; hopefully it will start out a little better than this one. It can only end better with more helmet hair.

Can't wait for tomorrow! Maybe I'll let the idiot go to.
momentumadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:39 AM   #2
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 730
Each ride is more education. Parts are parts and can be replaced. That helmet may put a temporary dent in the do but it also protects that wonderful smile, the mother of four children, and the brain of the physics teacher. As for the husband, well, at least you have a great scooter!
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:18 AM   #3
N-Id-Jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 606
Wow I am proud of your fortitude!

Pave the driveway!
N-Id-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:23 AM   #4
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,589
As a rider coach I would recommend more "parking lot" practice before trying the road.................from the looks of it you could use it.

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:02 AM   #5
Cerberus83
The Wingman

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoboss View Post
as a rider coach i would recommend more "parking lot" practice before trying the road.................from the looks of it you could use it.
+1
Cerberus83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:13 AM   #6
Laconic
Anodyne

Oddometer: 16,754
If I was you, I'd buy a small, used dual sport and some proper protective gear for my face, hands, feet and legs. Then I'd spend a lot of time practicing my riding on fire roads and easy trails. The course you have charted for yourself will not end well.
Laconic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:15 AM   #7
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!

Oddometer: 411
And the husband could use a little practice in helpful words, lol. If I called my wife an idiot she would first remind me that was also a reflection on her choice in men, and next she would remind me I always fall asleep first, wait a minute, was that a threat???
Old 06-03-2013, 10:35 AM   #8
ShiftHead
the f is silent.

Oddometer: 261
hmmm....not to be nit picky here, but "made" you ride down the driveway? While it might sting a little, the advice of others here is a very good thing. Find a big walmart, or mall parking lot and burn a tank of gas riding around it. On my first bike, I rode neighborhood roads for a week, probably 50 miles, one block at a time. And I was still nervous as hell getting on a 'main' road, which was really just a two lane city road, with a 45 mph speed limit. We don't want to see someone go down and not get back up.
- Bigzoner #052 English Chapter "Keep Brotherhood Till Die!" - Nate & Dot Fan club
- The "Got Screwed" Newb
ShiftHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #9
jagred
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
That's a great looking scoot! Now you don't have to worry so much about those first scratches
jagred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:55 AM   #10
Bear Chow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Hi, I'm the idiot. We are taking it slow. The drive way is a mess I agree. I can't tell you how proud I am of the misses. She fell down and got right back up.

We will stick to slow unoccupied roads and parking lots until she gains greater confidence and control. Until then, ah they're just parts and plastics that can easily be repaired or replaced.

She is gone ho and ready to test all those physics lessons in gravity, momentum and inertia. I just hope I'll be able to keep up in about 6 months.
Bear Chow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #11
tslaw
aged n00b

Oddometer: 2,623
We all started like that - good luck with the grand adventure that is ahead.
tslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:33 PM   #12
Mala Suerte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Chow View Post
Hi, I'm the idiot. We are taking it slow. The drive way is a mess I agree. I can't tell you how proud I am of the misses. She fell down and got right back up.

We will stick to slow unoccupied roads and parking lots until she gains greater confidence and control. Until then, ah they're just parts and plastics that can easily be repaired or replaced.

She is gone ho and ready to test all those physics lessons in gravity, momentum and inertia. I just hope I'll be able to keep up in about 6 months.
Wow, now you're calling her a "ho", this will not end well.

Good job OP, just keep learnin'. We all crash at one time or another, hopefully you've got it out of your system.
Mala Suerte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:59 PM   #13
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
So, you dump your bike fresh out of riding school, yet your husband is the idiot? Dumping your bike is to be expected. That'll happen til the day you stop riding, just less frequently. Enjoy the lessons!

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:47 PM   #14
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
You would think that a physics teacher and a more experienced rider would see the wisdom in getting something smaller, lighter and easier to master ( as well as used ) to take the inevitable beginner lumps on. Instead of one of the biggest most expensive scooters there is.
Phipsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:10 PM   #15
ThumperStorm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
Wow, what a bunch of naysayers.

I, for one, wish you well and welcome you to the world of two wheels.