Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2013, 09:39 PM   #16
Hesaid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperStorm View Post
Wow, what a bunch of naysayers.

I, for one, wish you well and welcome you to the world of two wheels.
I really like the all the folks that tell people they need to spend some time riding around in a parking lot. Never is any mention made of how one is to get to these parking lots. Nor does anyone ever mention getting permission to ride in these parking lots. One thing that is always pointed out in hunter safety classes, and on all the licensing/regulation handbooks is the statement "If the land you hunt on is not your own, it belongs to someone else", does the same not apply to riding on private property? And where are all these nicely paved but deserted parking lots? Most of the parking lots I'm familiar with are filled with cars. And pedestrians. And concrete planters. And the cars are driven haphazardly, approaching from any direction at any given moment, as are the pedestrians. Hardly the best or safest place to practice the exercises in the MSF booklet.

But maybe my parking lots (and trespassing laws) are just different.

So, again, welcome to the world of two wheels. You know your area, I'm sure you can find someplace(s) to learn at your own pace. We're just beginning to venture away from home ( First and Second trips), so I know what you're going through. The open road will be there when you're ready.

MV
Old 06-03-2013, 11:39 PM   #17
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
Naysayer? Not hardly. I have had a lifetime of passionate enjoyment on two wheels. My expertise is in task analysis. I like to see people have the best possible chance to succeed and not get hurt.

A bike half the weight would be less intimidating, less likely to crash and way more fun for the new rider. Near 600 lb machines don't tolerate mistakes and inexperience very well.
Phipsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:59 AM   #18
RokLobster
Far from sanity

Oddometer: 73
Congratulations!

Congratulations on the new ride and for getting back on. I too injured my knee learning to ride, I too decided to keep going, and now, 12 years later, I enjoy riding more now than I did back then. Good to have a supportive husband ~ mine has had my back since day one and yours seems to have yours! Good luck!
RokLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:46 AM   #19
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 602
Very impressive frowny face!

You said your husband made you ride the driveway. You are the captain of your bike, and you must at times assert that authority. No one should ever make you ride when, where or how you think you should not. Another can encourage, cajole, even harass and harange your to do this or that, but the ultimate decision is, and must be, yours. To say yes or no.

Certainly you need to be able to ride your driveway. But, if that's not the place to be working yet, or to not ride so fast on, so be it. Build your skills, and ride when where and how you feel able. Not when where and how others tell you to.

Nice scooter btw. I looked at them quite a bit at the last big show. Comical that it's actually a bit too big for me. They told me there is a new model coming out that will better address my lack of inseam. I think it was also mentioned that there is an alternative seat to bring a smurf rider like myself further forward and down.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:59 AM   #20
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,319
The first few rides can be a little bumpy at times,it'll work out fine.

My mom used to ride us to junior high on a trail-90 Honda,she didnt know anymore about riding a motorcycle then the man in the moon,she just thought it looked like fun.

Later she got her private pilot license,then her aerobatic certificate.
And rode a 550 Suzuki up and down the CA coast at my dad's urging.

I rode a bike for a week with a manual clutch,then really got the hang of it racing at the local flattrack on Sat night,some bumps and bruises followed but what a Rush!

Have fun! (and shifting isnt that big a pain)
Old 06-04-2013, 07:58 AM   #21
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by momentumadv View Post
Today was the day. My husband asked if I wanted to go for a ride. Yippee!!! He is usually a wonderful husband, but today he was an idiot (as I said).

This is the first thing he made me ride down on my first ride, our gravel driveway that has huge pits in it.
You will have to ride down YOUR OWN driveway EVERY time you ride

The "idiot" is the one (or two?) that selected a brand new, $9,000 scooter for a beginning rider to do it on.
I'm happy for your newfound enjoyment. Now quit blaming.
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:09 AM   #22
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!

Oddometer: 391
That is actually not a bad place to ride, lol. Where it is smooth you can practice counter steering, as well as navigating around those puddles! And don't be afraid to ride over those holes, you need to learn how to handle the bars lightly so the bike can do some self-correcting at times. Maybe get someone to mow down the grass, though, so you can practice turning your bike :). Not really very serious about practicing turning your bike on grass, although it would be a softer landing.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #23
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBoss View Post
As a rider coach I would recommend more "parking lot" practice before trying the road.................from the looks of it you could use it.
Learn how to ride wherever you can ( the closer to home the better)(more practice time + hubby can watch whilst sippin on a brew)
Even if it is in your own (slightly messed up) driveway
that is even better than a completely flat parking lot
It will teach you how to go around simple or not so simple obstacles

Good for you
Keep at it
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #24
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrapper View Post
Very impressive frowny face!
+1
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:19 PM   #25
long distance rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Everything that you will experience while riding on lightly traveled roads will also happen while riding in the dirt......the difference is that in the dirt it will happen at a much lower speed with no traffic, and you are less likely to get badly hurt. One thing you should consider though, is buy a trashed out bike that won't break your heart if you drop it.....because you will drop the bike.

Start slowly and work your way up in speed and traffic, you'll be fine.

That's the way I learned 45 years ago and 400,000 miles ago it has served me well.
long distance rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:46 PM   #26
sunbandit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Laugh Weeeeeeeee<crash><boom><boom>

Quote:
Originally Posted by long distance rider View Post
Everything that you will experience while riding on lightly traveled roads will also happen while riding in the dirt......the difference is that in the dirt it will happen at a much lower speed with no traffic, and you are less likely to get badly hurt. One thing you should consider though, is buy a trashed out bike that won't break your heart if you drop it.....because you will drop the bike.

Start slowly and work your way up in speed and traffic, you'll be fine.

That's the way I learned 45 years ago and 400,000 miles ago it has served me well.
+1

Congrats on your bike and your first adventure! As a certified husband and a professional idiot my advice doesn't matter but I would listen to all the great advice above especially about being able to handle the bike on your own property.
sunbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:39 AM   #27
Carl Childers
Ghost in the Machine

Oddometer: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
You will have to ride down YOUR OWN driveway EVERY time you ride

The "idiot" is the one (or two?) that selected a brand new, $9,000 scooter for a beginning rider to do it on.
I'm happy for your newfound enjoyment. Now quit blaming.
Oh yeah.....plus one!
Old 06-05-2013, 06:47 AM   #28
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
I enjoyed you're riding trials and tribulations. It brought a grin to my face and a good chuckle. Your courage here is beyond just your riding ability. Happy trails or should I say roads! I'm glad your having fun.

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:41 AM   #29
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,002
Well, alright, you got a bike and want to ride. That's all good stuff.
But, wait a sec, you fell at training and banged your knee on a small bike, then you go buy a large , heavy bike. Hmmm. Back up .
You obviously are loaded with dough, so for less than the repair cost of a harder down on your Bavarian wonder bike, go out and buy a XR or CRF Honda 100 to 150.Or the Suzuki,Kawasaki or Yamaha equivilent.
Then go out there beside your drive and any adjacient fields you have acsess to , and ride,ride, ride. Ride til dark after school, ride on the weekends.Learn to slide, learn to turn , learn to stop, learn to panic stop.
After a period of weeks or months , you will gain confidence in your abilities.Then you'll be ready, I hope to face real world road trafficc.Other road users won't give you time to adjust because it's new to you and they won't care that your husband is at fault. They will only see you and what you do will determine their actions. The real world isn't rehearseal , it's showtime.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:57 AM   #30
Valker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Chow View Post
She is gone ho and ready to test all those physics lessons in gravity, momentum and inertia.
I hope this little mishap did not make her "gone ho"!!

Seriously, it looks like y'all live in a perfect area to gather some experience. I've been training riders in Texas for 20 years-Good judgment is gained from experience, and most experience is gained from poor judgment. Stuff happens-the first step in being really great at something is sucking at it. Hang in there, learn from mistakes, don't get hurt!!!