User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2013, 06:32 PM   #31
HappyCRNA
AllTalkNoAction

Oddometer: 1,281
Thumb

Momentumadv & Bear Chow, glad to have you onboard!

Now get off the computer and get some seat time! Reading helps, but doesn't teach you what ass-in-the-saddle will!

(and scratches on bikes is the main reason we have cool stickers and decals!)
HappyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:56 PM   #32
momentumadv OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I appreciate all the useful and not so useful advice. Just for the record, I do not blame my husband for anything I have or have not done. He is very supportive, unlike some of you here. He assured me that if I posted here I would make new friends and have fun. I have to say posting here has been one of the least fun things I have done in awhile. I also know that no one can make me do something I don't want to do. My husband suggested a smaller used bike, but I am hard headed. I am thoroughly enjoying my new scooter and I really don't mind the scratches. As someone said that is what stickers are made for. I have bumps and bruises, but I am proud of every one that I have gotten. Please in the future don't be so judgemental. I am having a great time. I am currently riding and gaining the much needed experience I need.
momentumadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:54 PM   #33
Michaelfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Laugh Hoorah!

Congrats & I wish you the best!

Physics teacher? Wow! You''ve obviously got more perseverance & patience to overcome any obstacle this adventure might offer!
Ridgecrest, Kahliffoanya
Michaelfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:28 PM   #34
ThumperStorm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,115
I apologize for all the 's that have posted on your thread. It is that they want to give a newcomer such a hard time. I, for one, think you rock.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:37 PM   #35
red bud
alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer: 4,626
welcome to the asylum, as the saying goes ride your own ride

scratches had personality

1st ride started ruff & ya made it

1st post started ruff & you'll make it

"red bud has anyone ever told u you're bit of an ass" bmwblake

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706516
red bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:44 PM   #36
Noth
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
THat's great.. Love the BMW...
I started with a Piaggio MP3 500.. On the neighborhood roads.. in traffic and got used to it.. after 2 years I bought a Burgman 650.. big difference without the 2 front wheels (that only lock when stopped). but guess what, I hadn't learned how to move a bike around without the 2 front wheels.. The 2nd day I had it, I knocked it over with my lawn tractor.. I had it on the center stand (as that is the only way to store an MP3).. and touched the rear tire withthe lawnmower deck and over she went and guess what I too broke the end off the rear brake lever.. easy fix and a lesson... so you'll learn.. I agree about taking it easy.. but I did neighborhood roads..
Noth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #37
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by momentumadv View Post
I am hard headed.
Good.

Unfortunately there are similar around here that with similar hard heads that try to get you to do stuff you won't do. Part of the deal is reading their stuff and forgetting it soon after. Fillter all the stuff and use what you can. Don't worry about the rest, it may be useful later or not. Unfortunatly one of these heads is going to be mine. That is all right, I don't mind at all if people ignore my "good" advice .. it could be rubbish for their circumstance, but I give it anyway .. come could find it usefull?

Just like the classroom - listen, learn what is useful and don't worry about the rest, could be useful in the future but not enough memory space in the brain for it now, so if it looks good then record it (that is why we have reference books). Now you know why students may well forget stuff next term after the exams - they don't think that stuff is going to be useful.

Warin screwed with this post 06-10-2013 at 06:55 PM
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:01 PM   #38
landyguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Good on you. The best thing after meeting my wife was teaching her to ride. Three motorcycles later she has her dream ride a g650 GS. I still pick up the bike for her and smile!!!
landyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:24 PM   #39
Shesaid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
I appreciate all the useful and not so useful advice. Just for the record, I do not blame my husband for anything I have or have not done. He is very supportive, unlike some of you here. He assured me that if I posted here I would make new friends and have fun. I have to say posting here has been one of the least fun things I have done in awhile. I also know that no one can make me do something I don't want to do. My husband suggested a smaller used bike, but I am hard headed. I am thoroughly enjoying my new scooter and I really don't mind the scratches. As someone said that is what stickers are made for. I have bumps and bruises, but I am proud of every one that I have gotten. Please in the future don't be so judgemental. I am having a great time. I am currently riding and gaining the much needed experience I need.

I'm still relatively new to the asylum myself and, as yourself, have been met with both welcomes and sneers from the inmates-- there's a reason they call us "inmates." Just remember, ADVers are fond of a few slogans: "ride your own ride" for one, and when they start telling you to ride THEIR ride? Remind them of FYYFF.

You'll start picking out the riff raff pretty soon, just keep on posting! I'm all for following along with the other ladies working through their personal break in period, just like me!
Shesaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:35 AM   #40
rhull1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shesaid View Post
You'll start picking out the riff raff pretty soon, just keep on posting! I'm all for following along with the other ladies working through their personal break in period, just like me!
Why does it always turn into a "ladies" thing? Riders are riders. Nobody cares if you are a man or a woman.

Quote:
I appreciate all the useful and not so useful advice. Just for the record, I do not blame my husband for anything I have or have not done..
Still not sure why you refer to your husband as an idiot... If you weren't expecting any negative responses, then why did you put such negativity in your title? Maybe your post should have been titled 'Greatest Husband Ever For Helping Me Learn To Ride and Introducing Me To The ADV World'.

Don't mistake 'constructive criticism' for negativity, being "judgemental" or "not so useful advise". Many of the riders here have been riding for several decades and have seen many new/newer riders badly injured or even killed due to a lack of experience.

Welcome to the fray. Please ride safe and take the time to learn from the ones who have come before you.

rhull1 screwed with this post 06-11-2013 at 07:42 AM
rhull1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:39 AM   #41
Squeaks
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Happiness is a motorcycle, a full tank of gas, and green lights.

Welcome to the joy of owning and riding a motorcycle. Soon you will learn why dogs love to hang their heads outside car windows going down the road.
Squeaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:33 AM   #42
ROAD DAMAGE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 836
Bienvenido!

Hi Momentumadv,

Welcome to ADVRider!

Thanks for posting your story ...... so far. I enjoyed it. It's nice to be reminded that there are riders out there on the roads and trails that are working on their skills, and are still very new to the sport. Exhilarating, isn't it?

If you've got 4 kids, and also are in the classroom daily .............. you've earned, and desperately NEED some throttle therapy. No better escape from the mundane than scooting along on two wheels.

Looks like from the pictures that you are doing several things right ................ helmet, protective gear, MSR class, practicing (muy importante), etc. etc. Riding pants, gloves, and riding specific boots are going to help with your skills also. The more comfortable you are ............ the more comfortable you can be!

Ride safe, have fun, and keep us posted on your progress.

Rob
Old 06-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #43
Stained
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,558
Ride your own ride. There are plenty of keyboard warriors here who will do nothing more than put you down. Have fun and keep learning...

Interested in attending the HU Maritimes 2014 Meeting? Click HERE!
Stained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #44
Vinbowie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
Every ride is new adventure.
Welcome
They just stand back and let it all be." Springsteen
Vinbowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:45 AM   #45
MUS
ActaNonVerba

Oddometer: 24
Dropping Your Bike The First Day Stories

Several years ago I bought my wife a Honda Rebel 250 (Great Starter Bike). She rode it once and parked it in the garage. About 2 years go by and she says why don't you get rid of that thing. So I said OK. I took it down to the local dealership where I had been looking at sport bikes, as up until then it was dirt bikes and cruisers. So I trade the little Rebel in on a Kawasaki ZZR600 sport bike. I sign the paperwork, swap bikes and head home with zero miles on the shiny new black ZZR. I pull in the gravel driveway where I spot my wife weeding. She looks up with an angry face as she would never approve of a 60 year old riding a sport bike. So, I am fixated on her look and not being all that familiar with the short stubby fork geometry of a sport bike and the massive stopping power of triple disc brakes, I washed out the front end on gravel and laid it out on it's right side. Nice gravel scratches on the right side and a few scratches on the exhaust system. After that, never worried once about how I rode it. I figured if I tore up the right side anymore, I would just buy a new fairing. No big deal. Just enjoy the riding.
MUS is offline   Reply With Quote