Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #46
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Oddometer: 1,489
i duck taped foam blocks all over my ex wifes scooter when she got it to limit scratches, and taught her in the street with a few half filled soft drink bottles half filled with water, as witches hats.

its all learning, dont listen to anybody else, the perfect bike for you is what you have to use, just ride around short distances until you get the hang of it before tackling traffic.

car parks are fun though, check out our gymkhana thread on here
Storm Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:56 PM   #47
advmgm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
My husband suggested a smaller used bike, but I am hard headed.

As a husband myself, I am having trouble comprehending these words..

But, the bottom line is you are having fun and getting better each ride so welcome to the collective!
Old 06-11-2013, 06:28 PM   #48
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhull1 View Post

Still not sure why you refer to your husband as an idiot... If you weren't expecting any negative responses, then why did you put such negativity in your title? Maybe your post should have been titled 'Greatest Husband Ever For Helping Me Learn To Ride and Introducing Me To The ADV World'.

Don't mistake 'constructive criticism' for negativity, being "judgemental" or "not so useful advise". Many of the riders here have been riding for several decades and have seen many new/newer riders badly injured or even killed due to a lack of experience.

Welcome to the fray. Please ride safe and take the time to learn from the ones who have come before you.
+1, all three issues
Old 06-11-2013, 06:45 PM   #49
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHVol View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhull1 View Post
Still not sure why you refer to your husband as an idiot... If you weren't expecting any negative responses, then why did you put such negativity in your title? Maybe your post should have been titled 'Greatest Husband Ever For Helping Me Learn To Ride and Introducing Me To The ADV World'.

Don't mistake 'constructive criticism' for negativity, being "judgemental" or "not so useful advise". Many of the riders here have been riding for several decades and have seen many new/newer riders badly injured or even killed due to a lack of experience.

Welcome to the fray. Please ride safe and take the time to learn from the ones who have come before you.
+1, all three issues
another +1 from me.

Your first post here, to people you've never met, calls your husband an idiot and states that he made you do things you weren't comfortable with, causing damage to your shinny new bike.
Perhaps you were assuming that something like that could never happen, but in the 40+ years I've been riding I've seen people persuaded into doing things they weren't comfortable with, and with disastrous results.

It ain't a joke unless people actually get it, and then only if nobody gets hurt

That said; I'm damn glad it isn't the disaster you first represented! Have fun, but be safe!
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:50 PM   #50
MUS
ActaNonVerba

Oddometer: 25
Lighten up

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHVol View Post
+1, all three issues
Both of you guys need to lighten up and get a sense of humor. Grabby title got some hits and meant no ill or "negativity". It got my attention
MUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:08 PM   #51
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 2,290
Whenever I read a new to riding thread the thought crosses my mind that had I not grown up running around on minibikes & dirtbikes it might not be something I'd suddenly decide to take up!

That scoot looks HUGE!

In answer to your query, I'd recommend a sticker over both scratches; symmetry, you know.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:29 AM   #52
zoid
Dirty Old Hippie

Oddometer: 1,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by momentumadv View Post
I appreciate all the useful and not so useful advice. Just for the record, I do not blame my husband for anything I have or have not done. He is very supportive, unlike some of you here. He assured me that if I posted here I would make new friends and have fun. I have to say posting here has been one of the least fun things I have done in awhile. I also know that no one can make me do something I don't want to do. My husband suggested a smaller used bike, but I am hard headed. I am thoroughly enjoying my new scooter and I really don't mind the scratches. As someone said that is what stickers are made for. I have bumps and bruises, but I am proud of every one that I have gotten. Please in the future don't be so judgemental. I am having a great time. I am currently riding and gaining the much needed experience I need.

Welcome to the joy of riding and welcome to the asylum!!! I like your attitude and determination. Keep on riding and keep on learning from your mistakes. Look at every ride as practice for your next ride and keep a smile on your face.

And don't worry about the naysayers. My wife is my favorite riding partner and I have helped her up before. She has also helped me up. Hope to see you post again.
zoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:50 AM   #53
rodr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
Welcome to the world of two wheels. You go girl!
rodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:37 PM   #54
ThumperStorm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUS View Post
Both of you guys need to lighten up and get a sense of humor. Grabby title got some hits and meant no ill or "negativity". It got my attention
+1
Old 06-13-2013, 08:14 AM   #55
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,955
Dang, what a great scooter. I want one!
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:44 AM   #56
Cromoth
Inspection due 5_31

Oddometer: 529
What we have here is a .......

Pantah's cool & caught my attention, so thought I'd read you're thread, title aside.

I think you might have a need to develop your slow speed skills. Very different than what happens above 20MPH. FWIW get a bicycle; mountain biking has helped me tremendously in overall fitness & slow speed balance.

Also, if you're going on an adventure with a DR650 but like the scoot, do some research on dirt friendly tires. They might be available in Europe. Then bring a tire pump (can be electric if you don't want the free exercise) so you can benefit from low pressure as needed.

Speaking of low pressure, always ride your own ride. Learn to walk next to the bike & feather the clutch, if things get too extreme.

Target fixation is something you have to unlearn & force yourself to not do instinctively - ride on the good parts of the driveway.

MSF has a dirt class & some local riding clubs may too. Can't see your shoes but invest in something with ankle protection. For a time, consider knee/shin guards & undershorts with padding (both can be worn under riding pants) - wouldn't it be nice to get up laughing rather than bruised?

Good luck!

Cromoth screwed with this post 06-13-2013 at 09:46 AM Reason: add text
Cromoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:07 AM   #57
ShiftHead
the f is silent.

Oddometer: 256
If I was one of those asshats, I sort of apologize. It's not my intent, or I dare say others, to run you off. Rather, it's critically important to realize the monumental downside to not fully respecting life on 2 wheels. It's wonderful, exhilarating, horizon expanding and gives me the will to live many days in my hermetically sealed office, but it can also kill me instantly at any moment. And knowing this is just a little bit of the excitement. However, I get very nervous with new riders, esp ones who appeared to have been blaming someone else for their misfortune. You must own your ride, and ride YOUR ride. Never more than what you know you can accomplish. Because while it was a couple of scratches today, it can just as quickly be a spinal injury tomorrow, or worse.

I ride like everything, EVERYTHING, is out to kill me. Cars, animals, trees, rocks, kids, birds, etc. That doesn't mean that I don't enjoy the ride, I just have to always be 1000% aware of what's going on around me.

So again, the comments, while they feel like poison tipped barbs, are intended only to keep people safe. There is no margin for error here. I've seen and read about too many people who've not made it back home. Good riders. And that's the thing, you can be a great rider, the best, and still not make it home.

Having said all of that, honestly, your title probably just rubbed some folks the wrong way.

So, enjoy this new world you are in now, it's wonderful. Riding is therapy.
- Bigzoner #052 English Chapter "Keep Brotherhood Till Die!" - Nate & Dot Fan club
- The "Got Screwed" Newb
ShiftHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:29 AM   #58
Blixa
Derelicte

Oddometer: 634
Starting out is tough for everyone. If it helps, this site is great for newbie women riders - http://www.twowheelfemales.com/forum...splay.php?f=15

There is no easy way to improve but you can ensure that you will see improvement with practice. Best of luck!
Old 06-13-2013, 10:31 AM   #59
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 7,459
Enjoy yourself.

All other advice is optional.
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:36 AM   #60
Bonesaw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by momentumadv View Post
i appreciate all the useful and not so useful advice. Just for the record, i do not blame my husband for anything i have or have not done. He is very supportive, unlike some of you here. He assured me that if i posted here i would make new friends and have fun. I have to say posting here has been one of the least fun things i have done in awhile. I also know that no one can make me do something i don't want to do. My husband suggested a smaller used bike, but i am hard headed. I am thoroughly enjoying my new scooter and i really don't mind the scratches. As someone said that is what stickers are made for. I have bumps and bruises, but i am proud of every one that i have gotten. Please in the future don't be so judgemental. I am having a great time. I am currently riding and gaining the much needed experience i need.
Yeah! Thatta girl!
Bonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote