User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2013, 09:11 AM   #1
Dogscout OP
Been there done that

Oddometer: 1,403
Soumy Mx Tourer

Hello all; its helmet shopping time again and I am looking for some feedback on the Soumy Mx Tourer.

For the past 5 years I have enjoyed my BMW Enduro lid, but it is getting a but mangey and loose. It is a great lid, although quite expensive and hard to get here in the US, I have enjoyed it since day one.

This morning I started shopping and of course looked at the Arai XD (wifey has one), Shoei Hornet, AGV AX8 Dual Evo, and Soumy Mx Tourer. I have narrowed it down to these and I am likely to stay away from the Arai as I have a rounder head and have never really enjoyed any of the Arias I have worn. I still wear a Quantum II for road use, but the XD has always left me with a headache hot spot on the forehead.

In any case does anyone of you'all have a Suomy Mx Tourer and how do you like it? Fit and Finish? Weight? Hardware quality? etc.

Please no recommendations on what you found to be the best, just comments on the Suomy. I've read more than a few threads about Airoh, AFX, ICON, Bell, Nolan, ...
Old 06-02-2013, 07:37 PM   #2
Nophix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
I don't have that specific one, but I used to run Suomy exclusively on the track. They were hands down my favorite helmet, and the fit and finish was second to none. They were very expensive, and the shell seemed overkill for street even before the article on Motorcyclist.

Be aware though, they fit a lot like an Arai.
Nophix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:34 AM   #3
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,635
I'm not sure this thing is even available yet in the US. It looks like it will start shipping on the 10th of this month. Interesting helmet. I look forward to seeing reviews of is. I hope the peak actually works as a sun shade (unlike the Shoei) and doesn't vibrate (unlike the Arai does on my head).
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:46 AM   #4
Smoke Eater 3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
What he said. I love Suomy helmets. They are by far the most comfortable brain buckets. They really breathe too.
Smoke Eater 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:03 AM   #5
kingby
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post
I'm not sure this thing is even available yet in the US. It looks like it will start shipping on the 10th of this month. Interesting helmet. I look forward to seeing reviews of is. I hope the peak actually works as a sun shade (unlike the Shoei) and doesn't vibrate (unlike the Arai does on my head).
Not sure about peak coverage, but there is an internal roll down sun visor (ala GT air or noetec) in addition. So I would imagine the sun blockage should be fully covered between the two devices.
kingby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:32 AM   #6
ducatirdr
Re-entry Noob

Oddometer: 126
Looking forward to an actual review. A photo of the shield up would be nice.
2000 Ducati 996S - Madness
2014 H-D Breakout - Nothing like a big scooter to relax a bit
ducatirdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:22 PM   #7
bigboyxl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
I'm also looking for a replacement for my good old Hornet DS.
Tomorrow I'm going to the store and will try this one, interesting is it really that light.
If the shape of the lid is the one I need, I will be probably going to buy one.
So probably a review coming shortly
Nomada panniers, Holan crashbars, Remus silencers etc. Worldwide shipping. Better deals for ADVriders
bigboyxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #8
Dogscout OP
Been there done that

Please let us know what you find.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:42 AM   #9
bigboyxl
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, I saw the helmet today. Couldn't try it because the shop had only size L. So I ordered the XL size, which should be ok according to the size chart. Shape is similar to Shoei's type, a bit oval.
I was very impressed by the lightness of the helmet and finish of it. Really good quality.
Integrated inner sun visor mechanism works pretty nice, covers I'd say around 75% of vision.
The only thing I didn't like first is that it can't be used with mx goggles, but then I realised that if you have that inner visor you can use it with outer visor open and still your eyes will be more or less protected.
Ventilation channels cannot be locked (meaning you have to carry a duct tape to seal a helmet in rain, at least I will be doing like that)
I will take this helmet for 5k km - 15 days trip in the end of the next week, so real life use review will follow later.
Nomada panniers, Holan crashbars, Remus silencers etc. Worldwide shipping. Better deals for ADVriders
Old 06-19-2013, 07:50 AM   #10
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboyxl View Post
Well, I saw the helmet today. Couldn't try it because the shop had only size L. So I ordered the XL size, which should be ok according to the size chart. Shape is similar to Shoei's type, a bit oval.
I was very impressed by the lightness of the helmet and finish of it. Really good quality.
Integrated inner sun visor mechanism works pretty nice, covers I'd say around 75% of vision.
The only thing I didn't like first is that it can't be used with mx goggles, but then I realised that if you have that inner visor you can use it with outer visor open and still your eyes will be more or less protected.
Ventilation channels cannot be locked (meaning you have to carry a duct tape to seal a helmet in rain, at least I will be doing like that)
I will take this helmet for 5k km - 15 days trip in the end of the next week, so real life use review will follow later.
I look forward to this review! I'm particularly interested to hear if the peak is large enough to actually block the sun (like the Arai) or if it is just for show (like the Shoei). I'm also interested to hear about sound levels and buffeting.

Thanks in advance.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:53 AM   #11
bigboyxl
Gnarly Adventurer

Helmet arrived later then I departed... Anyway I started using it in everyday commuting.
First impressions: even with anti-aerodinamic form factor (read with peak) the helmet is so lightweight you barely feel that you have one on your head; also sun-shade is just awesome, especially in city during higher temperatures; fit and finish is top level - first I felt a bit discomfort while asking off (because of a bit thin cheeks), but then the helmet broke in a bit and now I'm completely happy.
On the 120-140 speeds you don't feel any discomfort (tested on KTM 640 & 1190 Adventures)
Old 08-03-2013, 07:01 AM   #12
ducatirdr
Re-entry Noob

Oddometer: 126
With clear shield up does it restrict vision?

Thank you for the review.

No goggles with this... Does the clear shield flip up far enough not to obscure your vision? I ask as I sometimes like to leave the face shield up and wear glasses.
2000 Ducati 996S - Madness
2014 H-D Breakout - Nothing like a big scooter to relax a bit
ducatirdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:20 AM   #13
Dogscout OP
Been there done that

Thanks for the Review, I appreciate it. How was the noise level? I tried on the AFX yesterday and it seem like the area around my ears is very open when compared to my other lids. How is the Suomy in relation to noise?
Old 09-06-2013, 05:09 PM   #14
Shwafish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
I came across these at the store today and was very impressed. They are incredibly light weight and they seem well made. My favorite parts where the sun visor and the fact that when you flip the clear shield up it gets completely out of the way. A lot of DS helmets I have tried on the visor is still very much in your line of sight when flipped up but that is not the case for this one. I will probably be buying one of these in the near future.
Shwafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:31 PM   #15
Matt fe2o3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 559
I posted in another thread, I ordered one of these in yellow a week ago from Helmet City. Do not think it has shipped yet. Ordered XL which is same size in my Arai Vector 2 which I like. I will post some reviews. I hear it is loud but so is the Vector 2. I am starting a afternoon westbound commute pattern so hoping the beak and sun shade will give me some relief. Most of all hope it fits.
Matt fe2o3 is offline   Reply With Quote