Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2013, 02:22 PM   #16
canadian chris
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Make the Mexico City to Oaxaca leg infinitely more interesting by jogging to Puebla and then heading down to Oaxaca via the Sierra Secreta and Tehuacan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
A run down Mex 175 to P. Angel or P. Escondido or Huatulco would be highly recommended as well
I second both of these recommendations ^ Oaxaca to Puerto Angel via Mex 175 is like 8 hours of Stelvio, except with more free-range poultry and donkeys

I've overnighted at the Hotel Mexico in Tehuacan before and found it excellent, with secure parking.
canadian chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #17
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,289
Good that you say there is no rush , there is sooooo much to see ,
but as usual you need to make choices and prune some parts and add others.
I have nothing harsh to say about Torreon , it has its character and interesting points
mainly industrial modern . But it may not appeal to all because it lacks some of the
features tourists seem to demand , conformity to some ideal of Mexican scenery.
But yes, trim it and visit it in future.
Agree with SR suggestion of heading down from Hgo Del Parral to Durango on Mex 45
and turn west on Dgo 44 to Sta Maria del Oro and cross the mountains to take Mex 23 south through Tepehuanes an Sgo Papasquiarp . Very scenic.
From Oaxaca city south on Mex 175 take it easy and enjoy it over two days of riding. It doesn't look like much but south of Miahuatlan it is WOW . You want to stop to enjoy the stuff a lot , pity it would be to race through.Good hotels in Miahuatlan and San Jose del Pacifico amid all the curves.
La Mesilla is a good crossing after the highlands of Chiapas but the Tapachula region is also very nice if you explore the roads up into coffee country of Nueva Alemania and Union Juarez high on the slopes of Volcan Tacana ( neat place to overnight)
Take the border crossing of Cacahoatan which is the one NE of Tapachula , quite laid back and will put you in line to in Guatemala either take the coast foothill route via Retalhuleu and then to Xela ( WOW route) or immediately start heading NE into the mountains via San Marcos to Xela (also WOW route)
The choices are hard , you will just have to come back for more CA trips
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:26 PM   #18
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,211
Morelia is a great city, and be sure to visit Patzcuaro which is close by.

After Oaxaca and into Chiapas state, the riding past Tuxtla Gutierrez and onto San Cristobal is stunning. In Tuxtla take a ride up to Cañon del Sumidero, come back down then hit the libre to San Cris, not the cuota. San Cris itself is a bit of tourist town but beautiful and well worth a visit.

From there its a great ride to the Tonina ruins outside of Ocosingo, then onto Palenque if youre so inclined to see some really stunning ruins, but Tonina is totally chill and in the morning you will have the place to yourself. There are some little cabins you can stay at right outside the entrance to the ruins, quiet, very chill, real rural Mexico kind of stuff.

As far a crossing into Guate is concerned, La Mesilla is worlds better than Tapachula, and the riding to La Mesilla and onwards is excellent.

Like Sjoerd mentioned, there is so much stuff worth seeing and riding, that its extremely difficult to take it in on one trip. In addition, a small country like Guatemala is worth lots of your time as well, so much to see.

crashmaster screwed with this post 06-03-2013 at 08:36 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:09 AM   #19
V@lentino OP
Inspektor

Oddometer: 817
Question So what about time?

Wow! Just love Adventure Rider!

Thank's so much for the detail info, it is great because I now have ideas on which to base more research.

Now what about time? What would you qualify as a reasonable (whatever that means) period of time to make it to the GT border at a leisurely but steady pace?

The plan for the entire trip is a hair over 6 months, all the way down to Ushuaia, then north to Buenos Aires, and from there we intend to do a loop to Brazil, through Uruguay up to Rio, Brasilia and back down to B.A to ship the bikes back. We will be 3 travelling on 2 motos, and air shipping over the Darien, so 3 days of down time as oppose to 10 by boat.

So with that in mind how long for the Mexican part of the trip? Knowing that as we get much further south there will be lots of opportunities to do long miles, and that it is more likely that we will have another opportunity to visit Mexico at some point in the future, than to ride the Atacama desert, Ruta 40. and the Bolivian salt flats... I am asking, to help me put things in perspective, not so much to plan for a determinate itinerary. When we rode Central Europe in 2008, we had scheduled about 3 months, and we spent so much time enjoying Spain, Italy, and Greece that we never made it to the Adriatic Coast of the Balkans, and that's in an area where you can bank on having great roads all the time.

I know this is a very personal choice, but what makes sense to the experts, considering that apart from the Puerto Escondido/Huatulco area we want to focus our ride on central Mex, and spend 3 nights in Mexico city, and whatever else will make sense (time-wise) for all the other points of interest?

The motorcycle chronicles of Jackie & Valentino
The Southern Episode
V@lentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:42 AM   #20
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
PM me and I will send you an illustrated guide that will have you thinking that 3 nights in Mexico City is one too many.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:49 AM   #21
Johnnydarock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
How much time do you need?

I bought two KLR 650's for some friends of mine from Switzerland and handed them the keys when they landed in Los Angeles. The original plan was to ride all the way to Tierra del Fuego in 6 months. They were having such a good time they only made it to Lima Peru and sold the bikes and flew home. 6 months was not enough for them.
Johnnydarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:59 AM   #22
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
PM me and I will send you an illustrated guide that will have you thinking that 3 nights in Mexico City is one too many.
+1, depending on just how much you want to see. I've spent the better part of a week hooliganning around town on a KLR and having a great time. But on a six month schedule two days/nights will be sufficient to get a good taste of The City. Especially if you stay in El Centro. I like Hotel Catedral on Donceles just north of the Zocalo. Reasonable rates (though not the lowest around) with underground parking, a good restaurant and full concierge services from taxi call to Ballet Folklorico tix. Short walk to the Catedral National, Palace, Zocalo, Aztec ruins, and many great restaurants. Reasonable hike to Torre LatinoAmericano, Garibaldi Square, Palacio de Bellas Artes, etc. Short taxi or Metro ride to Chapultepec Park.
That's most of what people go there to see, although there's much more.

NB: if you want to see the epic performance of the Ballet Folklorico at Bellas Artes you should check the dates and order tix in advance. With a reservation at many hotels their concierge service will handle that for you.

Buen viaje!

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:46 AM   #23
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

I can verify that Schizz is a cultured hooligan.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:40 PM   #24
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

And so it shall be.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 06-04-2013, 02:46 PM   #25
jimmex
Guero con moto

Oddometer: 2,524
And so what shall be?
PAPA
SJTR
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:03 PM   #26
V@lentino OP
Inspektor

Oddometer: 817
Wink

Long motorcycle trips that involve a fair amount of cultural hooliganism is right up our alley.

Thanks for the Map Mike, I sent you a PM

The motorcycle chronicles of Jackie & Valentino
The Southern Episode
V@lentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #27
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 1,011
Quote:
I think you'll enjoy the mountains in Oaxaca and Chiapas over taking the coastal route and the highland border crossing La Mesilla is far better place to cross than Tapachula. A run down Mex 175 to P. Angel or P. Escondido or Huatulco would be highly recommended as well. Don't rush through Mexico as it is very rewarding. Saludos, Jim
+1 This is the correct answer...

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:24 AM   #28
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
And so what shall be?
Slight profile change from MM.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:26 AM   #29
jimmex
Guero con moto

Oddometer: 2,524
PAPA
SJTR
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #30
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer