Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
Ducati7444 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Packing list and preparation AK trip

Hello fellow inmates,
I did post few times for the trip I'm doing this summer to celebrate 50 years of good life.

I'm in the final preparation stage. Here are the packing list i came up today and stuff on the floor ready to be packed. My goal is to travel light. I also decided not to invest in new riding gears as the gear i have was quite comfortable on previous trips. For riding gears, I have my own 4 layer system that can be mismatch as the weather dictate. Leather street jacket, adventure Jacket with 2 layers, riding pants riding enduro boots. set of winter and summer glove. Rain suit. I did previously ride in freezing temperature with my adventure jacket over my leather jacket, was perfect. THe benefit are also huge impact protection. from both jacket. In warm weather, i always wear my street jacket for protection. and it's signed by the Doctor and Colin Edward, then it make me faster....Other important part of my packing list is the camera to take pictures and also be able to go for a day hike in various of our beautiful national parks. Food is not a concern as I know I can go a long time with only high energy foods as dry fruits and anyway, in North America, civilization is never far away.
As I will be traveling alone, safety is and will be my top priority. (until I jump on the bike...:) That why I invested in a Spot 2 and subscribed to their insurance's. All my vital and safety information will be clearly labeled on my bike and on me. Some of my best friends will follow me and trigger alarm if I do not give sign of life once a while.

Ducati7444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
Looks like you have thought it out. Where are you heading?
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #3
Ducati7444 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
From NC to KY, MO, Ks, CO for the CO back discovery road, Wyoming to visit and hike Yellowstone, Montana to visit Glacier National Park, British Columbia to visit the Rockies, Yukon, Fairbanks, Deadhorse, Anchorage. (from there I will see if I take a ferry down to Washington state or drive. When there and depending of left over time, go down to the Grand Canyon may be death valley and then back home. If i spend more time in Alaska, then go back home trough British Columbia, Alberta, Montana, North Dakota then south east back to NC....6 weeks trip... My main issue is that every night when I look at the map or on internet, I change the route. And I will change it many time when on the roads.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:34 PM   #4
Ducati7444 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
And if I forgot something essential, it is plenty of shopping centers on the way up north...
Old 06-05-2013, 04:46 PM   #5
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,659
I would take everything but the sofa. Plenty of places to lay down along the way.

Most people take too much stuff. Your bike will thank you if you go lighter. So will your budget for gas. Less is more. I took probably 30% more stuff than needed on our trip to Alaska. I speak from experience.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:21 AM   #6
eddie98
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
When are you heading out?
06 DL 650(gone) , 89 KLR 650(gone)
eddie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:53 AM   #7
Ducati7444 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie98 View Post
When are you heading out?
If everything goes as planned, Saturday June 15th, return home by August 4th :)
Old 06-06-2013, 08:16 AM   #8
eddie98
Studly Adventurer

I'm leaving in Aug
Old 06-06-2013, 01:58 PM   #9
Englishmatt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
Hey Eddie,

Leaving in August too, from Woodstock...

Maybe see you on the road!

"I can't lead, I go too fast..." Scott Hinkle, 4/2010
Englishmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:56 PM   #10
Delta61
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Ak Trip

Don't forget to get your Canadian insurance card from your insurance agent. May save you time at the border if you get that one guard that asks for it.

Got mine in the mail today as 4 of us are leaving SE Alabama on 22 June for Prudhoe

10 1200 GSA
07 X Challenge
04 1150 GS(SOLD)
Delta61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:26 PM   #11
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,659
Was never asked asked for the Canadian Insurance card on our ride to Alaska. More concerned that a rider from Texas was not bringing a Pistol with me. Was not. Sure grilled me though. Stereotypes run deep. I live in a place called America where we have the right to own weapons. And I am smart enough to respect countries that do not have that right. Any more questions??
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:02 PM   #12
eddie98
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Englishmatt View Post
Hey Eddie,

Leaving in August too, from Woodstock...

Maybe see you on the road!
Really? How weird is that. U leaving solo? Im leaving with a friend.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #13
falcon20x
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Hello,

Two years ago I rode to the Arctic circle then down to Anchorage with three other guys.
We build a check list to help us ensure that we had everything we would need for the trip. For that matter we are getting ready to head out to Happy Goose Bay and we are still using the same check list.
I would be glad to send the check list if you PM me your email address.

If I had to choose two MUST have items that would be a heated Jacket and Rain gear.

We left late June from Texas and we used the rain gear on the second day of the trip, we used the headed vest at least 2/3 of the trip. I never thought I would but I was glad I had mine.

Do not forget full strength DEET, mosquitos are not your friends up there. Rags and windshield cleaner are also absolutely necessary
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S.Thompson

falcon20x screwed with this post 06-22-2013 at 04:02 PM
falcon20x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:16 PM   #14
falcon20x
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta61 View Post
Don't forget to get your Canadian insurance card from your insurance agent. May save you time at the border if you get that one guard that asks for it.

Got mine in the mail today as 4 of us are leaving SE Alabama on 22 June for Prudhoe
I would recommend to also talk to AAA about their motorcycle towing insurance. They will tow the bike back to the nearest town( 100 miles) if it becomes disable.
It nice to have that piece of mind if you run into a deer or brake down.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S.Thompson
falcon20x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:52 PM   #15
Ducati7444 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta61 View Post

Thank you for the advice, did not know that...last time I cross canadian border by bike, they did not ask for it, as you said, better to be ready to save time.