User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #1
ADV-Rob OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Project F800GS

The stars aligned and last weekend I headed to South Sound BMW and picked up a 2013 F800GS. I have several trips planned for this year (Baja, WABDR, 2 road trips) I should have my bike completely built within the next month or two. I've always enjoyed complete build threads, no matter the bike, so thought that I would put one together here.

Here she is the day I picked her up. 2 miles on the odometer. Lots of goodies on order, a full tank of gas, the title in my pocket, and a few dollars left for gas!

SSBMW was great. I ended up with a Military Discount thru BMW (showed a copy of my DD214) and the dealership threw on the aluminum BMW skid plate and the Touratech hand guards with the extensions. The bike came with the comfort package, heated grips, upgraded seat, ABS, T/C, ESA, etc. This is the only way this particular dealer orders these bikes unless specified otherwise. One of the mechanics walked me thru the bike for about an hour and I was out the door.

Break in: I had all day, so I took the long way (380 mile) home. I tried to stick mostly to the backroads, hills, and twisties. Once thru the recommended break in period/rev limits I was much happier with the performance. During this period I averaged 45.8 MPG.

Some of my parts came in the mail and I'm ready to get started.

Build:

First to go on is the Touratech pannier rack. Removing the BMW rack required dropping the exhaust. This may have not been necessary, but it was like trying to get one of those horseshoe/chain puzzles apart if you didn't. Install was quick, 30 min or so to remove the OEM rack and install the new one. The directions are easy to read and all the parts easily fit to the bike.

Zega Pro panniers installed with the 31L/38L combo.

Next up was the Touratech top case rack. This install was equally simple and installed in a few min. My one (minor) complaint is that the risers used under the rear bolts were some sort of pre-oxidized crappy looking aluminum. Black spray paint solved this problem and was the longest part in this step.

Top case installed. The top case will be used only for my road trips and for commuting, which I plan to do about 11 months out of the year. I opted for the Zega Pro cases instead of the BMW OEM simply for cosmetic purposes. I like the black. The use of the ignition key with the BMW cases is a huge feature, but in the end I liked the black. I believe for the set up I went with, these were about $100 cheaper than the BMW OEM cases (which are also made by Touratech).

I opted for the BMW OEM headlight guard. I attached my bridge toll pass (sticker) to the inside of it. I liked the ability to wash the bugs off it and possibly(?) better protection than the screen style. Initial impressions were good, the install was super easy, although on my test ride I ended up with a "woob, woob, woob" air noise that was new to the bike. I took it off and the noise went away. Added it back and didn't hear it again - maybe it was just the right cross wind? It's not horrible, just noticeable.

Extended windscreen by Touratech was next. In all reality, I'm not sure this is necessary for this bike as I did find the smaller OEM windscreen adequate. In the end it comes down to personal preference and riding styles. Having just come from a Buell Lightning for the last 50k miles the smaller screen was better than I ever had before.

Per the directions, attach the front first then the sides. This was easier said than done. All of my holes were off by just a smidge. I ended up having to give the windscreen a bear hug and gently compressing the whole thing while another set of hands put the screws in.

In the end, it fit fine. It just didn't fit as well as the other Touratech parts so for this reason I was a bit disappointed. However, it did go on just fine if you conformed it a little more.

I added a RAM mount for my iPhone. Because the handle bars are tapered I found that the u-bolt inched toward the skinny portion of the bars as I tightened it up. In the end, I swapped to a smaller u-bolt and attached to the hand guard mount. I like this as when it's removed, the ball is discrete and out of the way. I think there is enough room with the way it's mounted for my GPS which will be going on shortly.

The mount is secure, I can access all of my buttons, and it's out of the wind and light rain enough that I'm happy with it.

KAOKO cruise control. Less than 1 min on the install. This is my first time using one of these so there has been a bit of a learning curve including getting pulled over yesterday. It's a throttle lock, not true cruise control (DUHH...) so ease up on the down hill portions. In the end, I can't believe I've been riding this long with out something like it. I like it!

Still to come are crash bars, GPS/mount, aux lights, a few electrical farkles to power everything, CAN BUS outlet, soft bags, and a few other things.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #2
Full Power
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,421
Nice bike, nice pics.
Cant wait to see your AUX lighting solution.
Where'd you source the KAOKO throttle locker?
Old 06-03-2013, 11:00 AM   #3
ADV-Rob OP
Adventurer

Picked up the throttle lock thru my local dealership. I got a coupon when I purchased the bike for a nominal discount on accessories sourced thru them for the next 30 days. So while slightly overpriced from the get-go it worked out. I believe it was just over $100 with tax.

ADV-Rob screwed with this post 06-03-2013 at 11:01 AM Reason: can't spell...
ADV-Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #4
dannyboydesigns
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
That new feeling

Great stuff. I get mine this Saturday.
dannyboydesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #5
ADV-Rob OP
Adventurer

Crash Bars

A few more parts came in and I had a little time.

BMW OEM lower crash bars/engine guards. Install was simple and straight forward. If starting from ground zero, I would install these before the skid plate. I dropped a mounting bolt in the skid plate and spent more time fishing it out, than I did with the actual install.

These were followed by the Touratech upper crash bars. The only real complaint I have with this stuff is that I've found by using a combo of BMW products and TT, the BMW sticks with the torx drive while TT uses a combination of various sizes of hex drive. While not a huge issue, it's more tools to carry on a trip. I may end up taking these off for powder coating around Christmas and then swap all the hardware to torx at that time. Maybe it's not that big of a deal...

Old 06-07-2013, 11:24 AM   #6
xsf18cdf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Powdercoat the bars, you won't regret it!

Here's mine.....

xsf18cdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:07 PM   #7
70East
Rags,Wrenches&Ramen

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsf18cdf View Post
Here's mine.....

Good lookin, what chain guard is that?
70East is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:29 PM   #8
Full Power
Beastly Adventurer

Tires, F8

A curious observation: 2013 OEM tire fitment on F800GS
rear tire is Radial 150/70R-17
front tire is bias ply 90/90-21....
Who's idea was THAT ?
Old 07-26-2013, 02:04 PM   #9
xsf18cdf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox8 View Post
Good lookin, what chain guard is that?
Sorry, just noticed your response/question. It is the stock chain guard. Or we're you were referring to the counter sprocket cover?

G
xsf18cdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:34 PM   #10
70East
Rags,Wrenches&Ramen

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsf18cdf View Post
Sorry, just noticed your response/question. It is the stock chain guard. Or we're you were referring to the counter sprocket cover?

G
No problem, meant the sprocket cover.
70East is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:49 PM   #11
murdock84
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
I bought the BMW OEM pannier rack and powder coated them. I don't understand why they have them silver when everything else is black.
murdock84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:50 PM   #12
Full Power
Beastly Adventurer

Have you worn out those OEM Pirelli's yet ??
Old 07-28-2013, 09:42 AM   #13
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV-Rob View Post
These were followed by the Touratech upper crash bars. The only real complaint I have with this stuff is that I've found by using a combo of BMW products and TT, the BMW sticks with the torx drive while TT uses a combination of various sizes of hex drive. While not a huge issue, it's more tools to carry on a trip. I may end up taking these off for powder coating around Christmas and then swap all the hardware to torx at that time. Maybe it's not that big of a deal...
For the love of God, PLEASE replace all the fasteners that came with your Touratech parts with high quality zinc or stainless steel!

The first time you have to remove a Touratech part, you'll discover they use fasteners made from silver-tinted butter. Even the handguards, as I found out.

(I've been fooled by so many Touratech parts, I'm ashamed that I was tricked by the handguard fasteners.)

Consider this before arguing with me:
You're an idiot if you argue with a fool!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffster/sets/
Geoffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:47 AM   #14
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer: 1,368
BEST.SPROCKET.COVER.EVER

http://www.bashplates.de/BMW-F800GS-...800GS::93.html

Consider this before arguing with me:
You're an idiot if you argue with a fool!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffster/sets/
Geoffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:31 AM   #15
jengel451
1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer: 678
I like that!!
jengel451 is offline   Reply With Quote