ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2013, 01:44 PM   #91
gravityisnotmyfriend
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,312
I'm not sure what model it is. I know it says "FMF" and "So Cal". But, I'll look for a model number after work.

I don't have any experience repacking mufflers, so I did some googling and youtube searching. There's two things that lead me to believe that mine isn't repackable.

All the videos I've watched shows the core being held to the muffler with screws. You take those screws out, then, you take the muffler off the exhaust pipe and use a wooden dowel to tap the core out the back of the can.

Mine is one piece. The muffler is connected to a solid pipe that snakes in front of the back wheel and attaches to the header. There's no way to tap the core out.

And, the core is riveted to the can. I guess I could drill the rivets and try to figure out a way to pull the core out. But, I'm just not sure if it's supposed to come out or not. It'd be great if it just needs fiberglass. I'd rather the bike be a little quieter and wrapping the core shouldn't take away any power.
gravityisnotmyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #92
madwrench OP
Engulfed

Oddometer: 1,211
It's not unusual to have to drill out rivets to get the core out. Most folks replace them with screws going back together.

madwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:06 PM   #93
foxfire
YRUYUR?

Oddometer: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collarbone View Post
Just man up and take the dr already.

I did, and may again...

Anyone wanna buy a GasGas?
foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:16 AM   #94
Go Irish75
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire View Post

Already fox? lol
Old 07-12-2013, 06:03 AM   #95
reveille
Now 70% Better!

Oddometer: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire View Post
I did, and may again...

Halls Cycles in Sprinfield sells Gas Gas and Husky. Maybe take it there and trade it in for a Husky? They have a nice new Gas Gas XC300 estart 2t enduro for sale too...
reveille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:16 AM   #96
gravityisnotmyfriend
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by madwrench View Post
It's not unusual to have to drill out rivets to get the core out. Most folks replace them with screws going back together.

Well, that'll have to be my next step. There is no fiberglass left around the core. I tried dropping down to 6 plates last night, and the bike will not start at all. I guess it's just too much restriction. So, hopefully with fiberglass wrap and a few more plates, I can get a bike that will still start easily, but be under the noise restriction.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:26 AM   #97
papalobster
With Gusto!

Oddometer: 13,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravityisnotmyfriend View Post
Well, that'll have to be my next step. There is no fiberglass left around the core. I tried dropping down to 6 plates last night, and the bike will not start at all. I guess it's just too much restriction. So, hopefully with fiberglass wrap and a few more plates, I can get a bike that will still start easily, but be under the noise restriction.
Yanno, you could host a muffler fixing meet and greet, invite random internet people to your home and you'd have 2 dozen folks show up and fix the durn thing for ya
papalobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:18 PM   #98
foxfire
YRUYUR?

Oddometer: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Irish75 View Post
Already fox? lol
Yeah, $'s tight and it's hard to justify a 2nd bike when the DR has worked for years. I dunno...
foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:31 AM   #99
slowfreak
I found her that way

Oddometer: 89
in

Check is in the mail!
Old 07-21-2013, 05:29 AM   #100
Go Irish75
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
Out of curiosity and boredom, whats the registration count up to already in July?
Old 07-21-2013, 08:21 PM   #101
gravityisnotmyfriend
Beastly Adventurer

I took my exhaust apart last night and discovered two important things. The pipe is supposed to have fiberglass packing, and there was nothing left but a few sooty morsels.

I repacked her last night and just took her for a ride and did a sound test. She sounds soooo much better on the road. It's got a nice low rumble instead of the obnoxious tinny sound it used to have.

So, is she legal for the Bucky? Definitely close. The idle volume dropped from 96 dB to 88 dB. At what I believe is 4000 RPM, she's right at 96-99 dB. It is no longer obnoxious and it really doesn't seem like it is as loud as my dB meter suggests. But, regardless, I think she's ready for the run.

My registration will go in the mail tomorrow!
Old 07-21-2013, 09:13 PM   #102
madwrench OP
Engulfed

Way to go, man. Good job.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:17 PM   #103
madwrench OP
Engulfed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Irish75 View Post
Out of curiosity and boredom, whats the registration count up to already in July?
I don't know what the current count is, probably thirties/forties.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:25 AM   #104
gravityisnotmyfriend
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by papalobster View Post
Yanno, you could host a muffler fixing meet and greet, invite random internet people to your home and you'd have 2 dozen folks show up and fix the durn thing for ya
Ha! But, I don't really need 2 dozen people to show up to fix it. All I need is a stock exhaust. It would be more fun that stuffing fiberglass by myself, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madwrench View Post
Way to go, man. Good job.
Thanks. I guess I just needed an event like this to motivate me to sort my exhaust issues. I do like the way it sounds with a fresh repack - but I'd rather not deal with it every year. I'll be keeping my eye out for a stock exhaust. Sadly, there is just much support for an 18 year old bike that was only produced a few years.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:28 AM   #105
conch4life
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Cry Stolen Kawasaki klx250s morning of 07/24/13, Have you seen it?

My husband (Matthew) and I (Erin) have been enjoying the dual sport events such as the Bucky Dual Sport Ride, Kettle Morraine Field and Forest Ride, and Leaf River Dual Sport in the past 3 years. We own the Yamaha xt225 and Kawasaki klx250s. So, I'm sure a few of you have seen us.
We were just checking out the dates for this falls dual sport rides and our hearts were torn out of us when someone broke into our garage in the Town of Beloit, WI and stole one of our bikes (kawasaki klx250s) this past Wednesday morning 07/24/13. Now, we know we will probably never see that bike ever again but it gives us hope if we do what we can to get the word out there to recover it.
My husband bought the bike brand new from a dealers floor in 2007. Since, he has put on a aftermarket Muzzy exhaust, aftermarket blinkers, aftermarket off-road folding mirrors, removed all stickers and painted all white plastics black.
So, please if you know anyone who just picked up a new bike, it could be your neighbor, a friend, or someone you know. Call the police or respond to this notice.
We're new members of this website so I'm not all too sure how to add an image. So, here's the url from the postings on craigslist.
conch4life is offline   Reply With Quote