Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2013, 04:01 PM   #196
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by J5k View Post
...You'd think big oil would be fighting ethanol tooth and nail,
The Big Ag lobby is just as strong. There are farmers in every state and big ag companies like A-D-M.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:05 PM   #197
viverrid
not dead yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabulpostie View Post
I have a Ducati as well and my tank has elongated too. While I think it's BS that I'm going to have to buy my own tank in the future, somehow in Europe thousands of the exact same tanks function flawlessly with non ethanol fuel.
And somehow in America thousands of motorcycle fuel tanks function flawlessly on E10.

WTF is wrong with Ducati that they sell bikes where E10 fuel is in common use, but their tanks can't handle E10?
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:54 PM   #198
J5k
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
And somehow in America thousands of motorcycle fuel tanks function flawlessly on E10.

WTF is wrong with Ducati that they sell bikes where E10 fuel is in common use, but their tanks can't handle E10?
I know nothing about the Ducati tanks, but is this something common to plastic tanks in general?
J5k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:30 PM   #199
viverrid
not dead yet

Quote:
I know nothing about the Ducati tanks, but is this something common to plastic tanks in general?
NO.

I have run E10 in other bikes with plastic tanks, both stock and aftermarket, without this happening. This is absolutely Ducati's fault. My Aprilia had a plastic tank.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:00 AM   #200
pmelby
Home Brew Adventurer

Oddometer: 656
Quote:
It's the tanks made from PA6 which is a paintable nylon. Not just a Ducati problem, H-D XR1200, Aprilia, Triumph also have models with painted nylon tanks. The water that is absorbed by the ethanol is the problem. No water in the fuel equals no tank swelling.

I had a classic Ducati Mutlistrada 1100s, practically the whole bike was built around the PA6 tank. No tank distortion for me over the two years that I owned the bike, tank was kept full, bike was garaged and only operated during Minnesota's fairly short season, but all fueling was E10 high grade.

My current bike, a MTS1200 has a plastic tank, but it is not painted and has body work that covers the tank. Same with a R1200GS and a K1200R that I owned.

Cheers,
Melby
'85 K100RT

pmelby screwed with this post 07-17-2013 at 04:01 AM Reason: piss poor grammar
pmelby is offline   Reply With Quote