Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 09:58 AM   #16
mefadv OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Here is what that area looks like in CNNA 2013.4. I dropped waypoint flags in the approximate spots of your coordinates. (I couldn't figure out how to make BaseCamp go to the precise spots). I do not have any topos of that area that I can see in BaseCamp.

Here is a view zoomed way in on the lower right of what is shown above. I have a measurement shown, as well.

To post an image in the forums here, you have to put the image up online somewhere, copy the location, then paste that location into the text box that comes up when you click the icon for inserting an image when making a post.

Thanks for the maps... Really showing no extra roads than my TOPO...
Old 06-05-2013, 05:52 PM   #17
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 741
[QUOTE=Countdown;21572570]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefadv View Post
I believe my old unit had the Road & Rec. map on it when purchased. Showed things of interest some trails and most dirt roads. However how can you find a copy of this on CD or ?QUOTE]

I don't think it ever came installed.
E-bay
Not copy protected, a friend can burn you a copy.
All it is is USGS 1:100,000 maps. I am told you can get that here:
http://www.dl4all.com/software/39692...r-201-pat.html
links don't work for me, but would like to find some that do...

What is y'alls opinion of the GPSXchange TOPOs for the Western United States?
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:08 AM   #18
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh62c View Post
How many points do you use the geo-reference it?
When I georeference I usually create a few routes on any paved or major roads in Mapsource or Basecamp and then use View\Google Earth. In Google Earth I then load in the map jpg file using the Add? command.

The routes need to span as much of the map as possible and should get the corners. The routes also need to be on roads that show up well in the map image.

I then shift and scale the map image so the roads in the map overlay the route. This can be tedious. And I can almost never get it perfect all over the image.

If the map happens to contain some squarish boundaries (forest, National Park, etc) it works well to draw the "routes" along these boundaries with Direct Routing.

I sometimes have to rotate the image a little, but this usually causes more problems than it fixes.

The save the result as a kmz file and load it into Basecamp.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #19
mefadv OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnut View Post
While I haven't explored the area, in the past I have been by it and noted the "Observatory" location.

It is true that the AZ Gazetteer shows an route from Eagle Eye Rd. north toward Harquahala Mt which was the site of an observatory of some type which as I remember is abandoned. (Looked it up, abandoned in 1925).

An old version of R&R does show the route as an unnamed road of about 7 miles in length.
The same route in an old version of 100k TOPO shows the route ending at the site of the Monterey Mine, also unnamed and 3 miles long.
My somewhat old CN 2011 shows the "Harquahala Mt. Rd." length being 1 mile.

Obviously my maps all are using a different source for the road data which for CN doesn't surprise me at all however I did expect the TOPO and Gazetteer to more closely agree based on prior experience.

What does this say about the maps in question? Perhaps not a lot, because the route is a remote, old route up a mountain to an abandoned site (E of the summit is all wilderness). The BLM makes it sound like a steep rough 4X4 or OHV route.
From a related website:

ROAD TO HARQUAHALA OBSERVATORY

The road to the top is approximately 10.8 miles of rough gravel road once you leave the blacktop road. Elevation gain in that distance is about 3,360. Kevin Hart and I made it to the top in 50 minutes with his Wrangler Jeep. The road is definitely a four wheel drive road moderately difficult on April 7, 2008 when we went to the top. However weather conditions and maintenance would change this rating to very difficult in one storm. Please be advised and proceed with caution. The day we were there is was extremely cold with a high wind; take a jacket and warm clothing just in case you encounter similar conditions.

mefadv have you traveled this route? What's on the ground?

Bruce
I have been there many times... within the past 25 years.
The route has been improved over the years as there is now a C.A.P. Tower at the top with a helo-pad. They had to move some very big equipment up this road for this construction. So you can imagine it was improved, with one of the more difficult inclines being concreted.

However the elevation change the final 5 miles causes many washouts
every summer. The winter freezes cause frequent rock slides. I guess what I'm saying is that the condition of the read changes quickly.

One trip I remember a 4x4 pickup was sitting at the top with a flat. Seems he had ripped a sidewall on the way up and put on his spare. Then ran a cell-phone size rock through another at the top. He had cell service but AAA or OnStar was no help. So we called a tire dealer in Wickenburg and he rescued him with his Jeep, for a few $$$ I'm sure.

I have never had to turn around on the trip up but close... Those "big rock" slides can be tough to deal with.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:21 PM   #20
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,302
Thanks for the report.

As to the maps I always have R&R, TOPO 100k, and CN loaded and switch between them frequently. All are slightly different but it would be impossible to say one has better road/route detail over the other as it varies. In my experience the road detail of R&R and CN is similar with CN having more road names, newer data and is auto-routing. R&R shows more water detail, creeks even dry ones go a long way to relating what is on the screen with what you see around you. MY TOPO 100k is clearly the oldest road data and few roads shown are named which can be a big negative.

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:35 AM   #21
Cataract2
Where to?

Oddometer: 1,055
R&r?
Old 06-07-2013, 07:00 AM   #22
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,895
If you get on Garmin's site you can drill down one each map product and in the Coverage tab, there is a link for an interactive viewer. You can zoom in and see the actual maps. That should help you when buying to confirm that it has what you are looking for.

Ex. http://www8.garmin.com/cgi-bin/mapge...k=1&sc=1&rz=-2

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:29 AM   #23
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataract2 View Post
R&r?
Garmin's old Roads & Recreation which was as I recall their first effort at maps, long discontinued but not locked so copies can be found.
Has advantage of showing stream beds which helps understanding if a roads is on a ridge or in a drainage something CityNavigator doesn't have and for some TOPO is overkill.

Roads in rural areas change very slowly through the years.

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:50 AM   #24
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 16,702
i've always found CN better than Topo but i've found the older Roads & Rec to have more detail in places.
CN routes, R & R does not.

in Colorado we can overlay our Forest Service MVUM over top of Google Earth.
then you can hand draw all the tracks you need.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=893491

not sure if anyone has spearheaded this effort in your states
http://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/prog...ohv_maps.shtml
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Facebook - please come follow us:
https://www.facebook.com/butlermaps

eakins screwed with this post 06-07-2013 at 10:08 AM
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:02 AM   #25
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Garmin's old Roads & Recreation which was as I recall their first effort at maps, long discontinued but not locked so copies can be found.
Has advantage of showing stream beds which helps understanding if a roads is on a ridge or in a drainage something CityNavigator doesn't have and for some TOPO is overkill.

Roads in rural areas change very slowly through the years.

Bruce
indeed. just ask around for someone with a copy and copy their disc.
it's windows only.

tip: unlike City Nav and Topo (which when installs puts all the maps on your hard drive and show in Mapsource/Basecamp) , R & R worked funny and did not. R & R is from old computers era w/ small hard drives so it would store all maps on the disc. When you need to add more tiles/maps from your computer to the unit, it would go back and ask for the disc to be in the computer. If you change out what maps are on your unit alot then you are constantly finding that disc and putting it back in the drive.

the trick is to take all the contents of R & R disc and copy them to it's own folder somewhere on your harddrive. then click on the setup.exe file and it will install from here. then when you add demand for new map tiles from it to be moved onto your gps unit, it will pull from the computer.

i just looked and the R & R installer folder I have on my drive is only 494MB
Old 06-07-2013, 10:06 AM   #26
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Thanks for the report.

As to the maps I always have R&R, TOPO 100k, and CN loaded and switch between them frequently. All are slightly different but it would be impossible to say one has better road/route detail over the other as it varies. In my experience the road detail of R&R and CN is similar with CN having more road names, newer data and is auto-routing. R&R shows more water detail, creeks even dry ones go a long way to relating what is on the screen with what you see around you. MY TOPO 100k is clearly the oldest road data and few roads shown are named which can be a big negative.

Bruce
i do the exact same thing.
there is no 1 map that has it all and is accurate.
i spend plenty of time going from Mapsource to view in Google Earth to see if there is more to the road. you just never know if there is a gate and such and thus in the end you just need to go on up and see what you find or follow others .gpx tracks.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:42 AM   #27
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
More on Harquahaula...

24K:

100K:

Free AZ topo from GPSfileDepot:

R&R:

I didn't put up CN since it's already in this thread..

So on the more expensive, route-able maps, it doesn't show.
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:26 AM   #28
mefadv OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks SteveAZ... for the info.
Just what I was afraid of. As you said the cheaper maps show more detail in this case anyway. This looks very similar to the map that was on my old Ifinder.
However the 100K does show the trail to the North as a 4x4 road. For the last several years, BLM signs post it as closed to motorized travel. I understand it is "one hell of a hike", if you are into that sort of thing.
Thanks again for the info...
Old 06-26-2013, 10:48 AM   #29
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
No worries. If you want comparisons on any other locations... holler. I've even go the old R&R era garmin topo maps too....
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote