ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #31
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Oddometer: 3,273
The Prius 2 was rated by the ever bland consumer reports as the least expensive car to own and run but didn't recommend it. Having driven the regular gen II Prius I'd like to try the Prius 2 and see if their argument is valid. Anyway, the Prius, and especially the Prius 2, is an economy car - it makes no other attempts or pretenses at anything else. Here in Prius central, the bay area, it breaks down by quarters; for every limited attention span dolt driving a Prius, or holier than thou sloth driving Prius driver, or strangely aggro Prius driver, there's a normal and reasonable Prius driver.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:34 PM   #32
Dave
Huh?
 
Dave's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: 12 mile circle
Oddometer: 2,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJjeff View Post
Dave

What do you mean it gives up too easily?
The traction control is particularly good at saying "OMG, slippery! Must reduce power!"

With the factory tires, and the replacement Yokohamas I put on, even on mild acceleration in the wet, the traction control would kick in, and the car would go nowhere for a few seconds.
Then, I got some Pirellis that my friend at the tire shop recommended. What a world of difference! It grips in turns, accelerates, and brakes!

Even though they have a higher rolling resistance, the performance trade off is worth the couple of MPG you pay.
Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:42 AM   #33
ddavidv
Thrifty not cheap
 
ddavidv's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Elizabethtown, PA
Oddometer: 1,086
Eek

The Prius is a "feel good" car. They really don't make any financial sense. Meanwhile, you're saddled with driving an uninspiring car full of compromises.

Quote:
Others clearly view saving fuel and doing something better for the environment as their ultimate goals, regardless of cost. The Prius, for example, became a success in part because drivers wanted to drive — and be seen driving — a hybrid.
“Fuel economy has become a social attribute,” said Tom Turrentine, an anthropologist at the University of California, Davis, who has studied car buying habits and is the director of the university’s Plug-In Hybrid and Electric Vehicle Research Center. “People want to have good fuel economy because if they have poor fuel economy they might look stupid.”
Frankly, a stupid reason to buy a car. But having observed the driving habits of Prius owners, and having spoken to dozens of them dealing with insurance claims, I can tell you they are typically book smart but common sense dumb. You'd think book smart people would do the math, but no....
http://dannagle.com/2012/10/dont-buy...-money-on-gas/
Quote:
So there you have it. Assuming $5/gallon, and you drive your Prius only the city, you would have to drive 144,111 miles before you just break even over a Yaris!
__________________
'04 Wee Strom
'89 KLR 650 (sold)

KLR Chronicles, list of my Ride Reports in PA/MD:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post18782262
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:35 AM   #34
Anorak
Woolf Barnato
 
Anorak's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: OAK
Oddometer: 32,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavidv View Post
The Prius is a "feel good" car. They really don't make any financial sense. Meanwhile, you're saddled with driving an uninspiring car full of compromises.

Frankly, a stupid reason to buy a car. But having observed the driving habits of Prius owners, and having spoken to dozens of them dealing with insurance claims, I can tell you they are typically book smart but common sense dumb. You'd think book smart people would do the math, but no....
http://dannagle.com/2012/10/dont-buy...-money-on-gas/
Really, link?
Quote:
What's the best car value for the money? Consumer Reports says it is the Toyota Prius.

It's not a particularly surprising answer, given that the humble hybrid has been a CR fave for years.

Still, in Consumer Reports usual supremely cold-blooded, objective analysis, the Prius had the best "combination of performance, reliability and low estimated ownership costs of 49 cents per mile - less than half that of the average car."

Prius, the barely-midsize hybrid, beat out the "perennial pack leader," the subcompact Honda Fit, which ruled for four long years. Though it has everything that a practical sort should love, even Consumer Reports' bosses sound hardly bowled over by the Prius.

"The Prius may not be the most exciting vehicle to drive, nor the cheapest to purchase, but it's extremely reliable, roomy, rides well, gets great fuel economy, and is inexpensive to operate, " says Rik Paul, automotive editor at Consumer Reports, in a statement.

The magazine,as far as well can tell, refers only to the original Prius. The Prius "family," including the much-derided Prius C subcompact, V wagon and the plug-in, aren't part of this current endorsement.

The consumer magazine says Toyota and Lexus models placed at the top in six of the 10 categories. Overall, Toyota hybrids were considered strong values due to their fuel savings and reliability. As for fuel, they still maintain some of the most amazing numbers in the car business: about 50 miles a gallon in combined city and highway driving. In Southern California, they are conquering taxicab fleets.

To reach its conclusion, CR weighed five-year owner cost, road-test score and predicted-reliability. Five-year ownership cost is a figure made up of estimated depreciation, fuel costs, insurance premiums, interest on financing, maintenance and repairs and sales tax.
__________________
'Gonna get me a six pack...push people off the highway!'

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:17 PM   #35
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Southeast Lower Carolina
Oddometer: 729
A car or a something to support your weak psyche?

I am not an actor, an idiot, I don't need a particular car in order to secure sex with women. Simply, I have owned and operated a 2009 Toyota Prius for which I paid $22,000. Over the last 90,000+ miles it has averaged 48 mpg. It has been trouble free. It is not a political statement from me nor about me. It was purchased to transport my wife and I when we needed transport. Not to decorate the interior of my garage nor the HOV lane. No car is a financial plus, to me they are a tool. Nothing more, nothing less.

Rutabaga screwed with this post 06-06-2013 at 04:36 AM Reason: mph tp mpg
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:14 PM   #36
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Oddometer: 3,273
Its a pretty nice tool as well.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:13 AM   #37
Dave
Huh?
 
Dave's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: 12 mile circle
Oddometer: 2,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
I am not an actor, an idiot, I don't need a particular car in order to secure sex with women. Simply, I have owned and operated a 2009 Toyota Prius for which I paid $22,000. Over the last 90,000+ miles it has averaged 48 mpg. It has been trouble free. It is not a political statement from me nor about me. It was purchased to transport my wife and I when we needed transport. Not to decorate the interior of my garage nor the HOV lane. No car is a financial plus, to me they are a tool. Nothing more, nothing less.
Exactly. I paid just about the same for my car. (OK, I leased it, then bought it at the end of the lease) But, after taking the $1500 tax credit (at the time) deducting the lease as a business expense, and the ridiculously low fuel bills, it made a hell of a lot of sense. The only thing I've put into it are tires, oil, and filters.

And let's stop comparing it to a Yaris. They aren't the same car, not even close. The Yaris is quite small, and is a price point car that doesn't have nearly the creature comforts that a Prius does. If you're going to compare vehicles out of class, why not throw in a moped?
Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:49 AM   #38
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer
 
NikonsAndVStroms's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Oddometer: 37,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Exactly. I paid just about the same for my car. (OK, I leased it, then bought it at the end of the lease) But, after taking the $1500 tax credit (at the time) deducting the lease as a business expense, and the ridiculously low fuel bills, it made a hell of a lot of sense. The only thing I've put into it are tires, oil, and filters.

And let's stop comparing it to a Yaris. They aren't the same car, not even close. The Yaris is quite small, and is a price point car that doesn't have nearly the creature comforts that a Prius does. If you're going to compare vehicles out of class, why not throw in a moped?
The Yaris is the same as the Prius C....And 5 door VS 5 door the price difference is 4k. MPG is 30/37 VS 53/46, so ~75% better city fuel economy than the Yaris. This is just for shits and giggles since most people wont drive all city but let's say 50k miles & 3.50 gas:

Yaris = 5833.33

Prius C = 3301.89

So mix in city driving and it would be ~100k. Though that's not taking into account that the Prius C has a ton more options even on the base model, so in essence you're basically getting those for the same overall cost of ownership.

(Sidenote, Toyota knocked their tagline for the Yaris out of the park "Yaris,
it’s a car!" if you're going to produce something so boring you might as well poke fun at yourself )

If you want to compare the Prius to another car the Matrix would be a better choice, not going to work it out but city is double for the Prius, and highway it gets 50% better.
__________________
Motorcycles save lives


"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:04 AM   #39
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon
 
Jimmy the Heater's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: WA Palouse area
Oddometer: 1,853
My GF has a Prius and it does a couple of things very well. It is stone axe reliable, it is safe, and it gets decent mpg in town.

However we have yet to beat 40mpg on anything that involves freeway. And this isn't the 85 mph Texas freeway either, this is 60mph freeway. Took it back to the dealer...pronounced "Normal" redid all our calculations, yup, fine. Our best has been 38 mpg.

Look on Prius forums for actual numbers...yes some can get up into the 70's but that is purely city driving and blocking traffic. But there are also a corresponding number of drivers getting low to mid 30's

If you are getting a Prius to save money you are doing it for the wrong reason. A used Honda Fit would be a much much better choice.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:35 PM   #40
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Southeast Lower Carolina
Oddometer: 729
I drive I95 for about 200 miles before going to rural roads on a regular trip of ours. At 70 mph I get 48 miles per gallon on standard Prius tires at the door jamb label pressure doing nothing special at all. Change dealers. Check out Prius Chat forum and after about twenty minutes you will know more than the average Toyota Service Manager. Not surprising as most do not own one.
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:58 PM   #41
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer
 
Grreatdog's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Annapolis, MD
Oddometer: 9,941
I truly can't believe some of the opinions here about why people buy a Prius. There must 25 of them in my neighborhood. The reason my neighbors have them is because they make perfect sense here. You see, my neighbors commute to DC or Baltimore in hellish traffic that most people can't even begin to fathom.

The reason Prius is so popular is that they work here. They are relatively inexpensive to buy, a good size for the city, crazy cheap to operate and seem to never break. I don't know anybody making a fashion, political or style statement. They are simply trying to get to their jobs as cheaply, reliably and safely as they can.

The Prius isn't especially fun to drive. But what car is to a motorcyclist? Ditch the stock tires and it actually drives exactly like any other small car I have driven lately. I can't tell any difference between our Prius and the various Focus, Camry, Hyundai rentals I have been in recently. Well, except that you don't put as much gas in the Prius.
__________________
640E, MXC200, XT200
Grreatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:15 PM   #42
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Oddometer: 3,273
Quote:
couldnt agree more. Ive never seen so many stupid things happen on the road in my life till I saw my first Prius. Take a look at one the next time you see one on the road - they are almost always destroyed on the outside.
No, they are not almost always destroyed on the outside. Are you confusing Prius' (plural Priui?)with a '85 Hyundai that sports a faded "Tune Masters" sticker on it?
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:53 PM   #43
DRGNHTR
Dragonhunter
 
DRGNHTR's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Castro Valley, Ca.
Oddometer: 450
You haven't seen my wifes car

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
No, they are not almost always destroyed on the outside. Are you confusing Prius' (plural Priui?)with a '85 Hyundai that sports a faded "Tune Masters" sticker on it?
" I was afraid that the electric gate would crush the car." That keyed every panel on the right side where the gate was touching. The left side was accomplished one panel at a time. Let's see: front right horse chewed the paint when she parked too close to the stall; driver door bale of hay fell over etc.

Daily driver to the barn and dog (2) hauler extraordinaire. Gone to Wyoming and Montana climbing the hills just fine. Got caught in one snowstorm it soldiered on.

For the record second Prius, 100K, 50 mpg and no issues.
DRGNHTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:13 PM   #44
TwoBigCats
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Oddometer: 81
we've got an '06 w/88k miles on it, never had an iota of trouble. avg 42 in town, 44+ fwy65+ speeds.

we'll likely buy another if / when this one dies.
TwoBigCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:25 PM   #45
JGBrown
Gnarly Adventurer
 
JGBrown's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Oddometer: 248
Here taxis are switching from the hybrid(prius) to non hybrid (corolla).
The fuel savings vs the big old sedans were huge, on the order of 500$/shift per month...
Recently several have found that the difference between that and the regular corolla is not enough and are switching to that instead. This according to a couple cab drivers.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
That's one hell of a strawman and red herring you have there. Waste vegetable oil is terrible for anything newer than an old indirect injection Mercedes or Volkswagen diesel. It carbons up everything.

In regard to hybrids, your apocryphal evidence of some guy you worked for who bought a big suv less efficient hybrid doesn't reflect on all of them. "Probably a city mandate for hybrids", the is probably a mndate that requires you to be a reactionary fool, too. The cab drivers in Frisco drive Priuses and Ford escapes because that what makes them the most money. I have taken apart high mileage Prius drivetrains and they are very reliable.

My Checy Volt managed 42 mpg on gasoline only at 75 mph on I-5. A prius will do better than a Volt running the i.c. engine only. I believe my stepdad's Prius 3 can get close to if not over 50 on the same drive. Your posts are completely worthless in this thread. because they are reactionary ignorance.

And, waste vegetable oil generates soot which is a carcinogen. As I recall, you are an avid bicyclist. When you exploit your aerobic capacity near a piece of shit old Mercedes Geleandewagen with its green, planet saving, waste vegetable oil burning geriatric OM617, you're breathing carbon neutral carcinogenic soot.

This doesn't apply to a modern diesel with a diesel particulate filter burning Biodiesel. They're very clean.


Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
__________________
Canada to Panama on a 79 CX500: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62962
Logbook for
motorcycle travelers I'm developing, draft now available for review.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=739193

JGBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014