Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2013, 09:59 PM   #46
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 35,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBrown View Post
Here taxis are switching from the hybrid(prius) to non hybrid (corolla).
The fuel savings vs the big old sedans were huge, on the order of 500$/shift per month...
Recently several have found that the difference between that and the regular corolla is not enough and are switching to that instead. This according to a couple cab drivers.
There are a few Prius cabs but the "big ole sedan" seems to be the goto in America and I've been seeing a lot of Camry hybrids.

Edit: seems there was a big government push for it in Boston which is why 50+% of our cabs are hybrids.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."

NikonsAndVStroms screwed with this post 06-06-2013 at 10:06 PM
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:09 PM   #47
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,317
^Government is the key word, I've been working for the Government directly and indirectly (contractor) for the last 14 years nothing they do makes economical sense. In Massachusetts I'm sure it's just a feel good measure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater View Post

If you are getting a Prius to save money you are doing it for the wrong reason. A used Honda FitPontiac Vibe would be a much much better choice.
OP if you want economical; pick up a used Vibe, they ARE a Toyota through and through but because it has the Pontiac Vibe badge on it they have a lower reseale value. They were built in the same factory Tacomas were built it. Should be able to still find a low mile 2010 out there.

The comparison above that states the mpg difference over the premium for the hybrid makes economical sense is flawed; because even if your fuel bill is higher than the price differential; you're forgetting the cost to replace the battery pack and the Prius also uses up tires at faster rate than a comparable sized car due to the added weight and tiny tire size. Figure in $3K right there; if the car is heavy enough to wear out the tires ever 20K I'd also be willing to bet it eats up brakes and wheel bearings at faster rate too (although I've not heard any reports of that).

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:42 AM   #48
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,027
OK, more myth busting is needed. The battery pack has an eight year, 100,000 mile warranty. It also barely weighs more than 100 pounds. About the same as carrying a kid. Ours carries two guys plus several hundred pounds of gear in commercial service five days were week that we used to carry in an S10.

Nothing breaks. Not tires (though we have "normal" tires on it), batteries, brakes, wheel bearings, etc. Nothing. Ever. If you need to replace the traction battery used ones are cheap from salvage yards and new around $2500. But this is not a routine thing to do despite what people want to believe (me included once upon a time).

Read the Consumer Reports article on the 200,000 mile Prius they tested. I checked all this out before adding one to our commercial fleet. Down time can cost me over $1000/day. So even after reading up on them I was still worried. But now I am sold. Like it or not, the Prius is about as solid a car as your money can buy.

Maybe I am idiot and all of you guys that don't own one are right. But, to me, a tough little nearly unbreakable car that never costs anything in maintenance, never gives me downtime and routinely gets over 40 mpg in service that I used to do with a compact truck getting less than 20 mpg makes perfect economic sense.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 06-07-2013 at 05:51 AM
Grreatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:29 AM   #49
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder View Post
^Government is the key word, I've been working for the Government directly and indirectly (contractor) for the last 14 years nothing they do makes economical sense. In Massachusetts I'm sure it's just a feel good measure.

OP if you want economical; pick up a used Vibe, they ARE a Toyota through and through but because it has the Pontiac Vibe badge on it they have a lower reseale value. They were built in the same factory Tacomas were built it. Should be able to still find a low mile 2010 out there.

The comparison above that states the mpg difference over the premium for the hybrid makes economical sense is flawed; because even if your fuel bill is higher than the price differential; you're forgetting the cost to replace the battery pack and the Prius also uses up tires at faster rate than a comparable sized car due to the added weight and tiny tire size. Figure in $3K right there; if the car is heavy enough to wear out the tires ever 20K I'd also be willing to bet it eats up brakes and wheel bearings at faster rate too (although I've not heard any reports of that).
Geez, I hate to keep encumbering this list of fables with facts:
Tires, door jamb label 185/65R 15
First set replaced due to cut in sidewall at 27k, second set replaced at 69k, third set still rolling.
Brakes; original front pads and rear shoes checked at 88k with 1/2 of surface thickness still present. Prius braking system first dissipates kinetic energy by absorbing as much as possible thru regenerative system(making electricity) then applies mechanical braking when needed. Rate of pedal application and pressure applied also help determine method of braking. Rarely will you see brake dust any Prius front rims.
Weight of Prius from my state registration is 2932 lbs Empty Gross Vehicle Weight.
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:58 AM   #50
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
Maybe I am idiot and all of you guys that don't own one are right. But, to me, a tough little nearly unbreakable car that never costs anything in maintenance, never gives me downtime and routinely gets over 40 mpg in service that I used to do with a compact truck getting less than 20 mpg makes perfect economic sense.
you're not an idiot - if it works for you and you're happy with it, that's great. If it's bulletproof, even better
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #51
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
No, they are not almost always destroyed on the outside. Are you confusing Prius' (plural Priui?)with a '85 Hyundai that sports a faded "Tune Masters" sticker on it?
heh no. The next time you're in Los Angeles, take notice of the myriad of Priuses around.....most of them look like they just came out of a demolition derby.
Having said that it does speak the cars' durability....because people beat the living shit out of their cars around here. You should see some of these roads, some of them a Rally Stage in the right lane for 50 yards from time to time. That's why I take my KTM 525 to work much of the time. Nothing like hitting a concrete whoop section on the way to work
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:14 AM   #52
Dave
Huh?

Oddometer: 2,731
Quote:
The comparison above that states the mpg difference over the premium for the hybrid makes economical sense is flawed;
The premium came off of the price back in 2006. I paid under sticker for mine in 2007.

Seems there's a lot of persistent bad information out there.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:27 AM   #53
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 35,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
The premium came off of the price back in 2006. I paid under sticker for mine in 2007.

Premium I'm guessing meaning over a regular gas model (or closest comparable one). Cost effectiveness it seems a bit below a diesel from the TDI numbers I worked out before getting my Passat. If you drive a ton of highway miles a TDI seems to be the way to go, if you're in the city than a hybrid, but neither will pay off if you only drive the car 60-80k.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:35 PM   #54
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,038
I think the Prius needs to be thought of not as a driving car, or a "cage", but a transportation capsule.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:16 PM   #55
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post

The Prius cost several grand more than the comparable gas powered Corolla/Matrix.

The Tire issue is real, just because 1 guy on here that owns a Prius claims standard tire wear, you can google the issue and come up with several people complaining about premature tire wear

Even if the Battery pack has an 8yr or 100K warranty it's still a $2500 expense you're going to HAVE to pay at some point. If you buy a new one and dump it before 100K; you're obviously not buying the car for economical reasons. If I told you that you'd have to replace your Transmission or engine in any other car every 8 years or 100K you'd tell me that car is the biggest piece of shit on the planet and you wouldn't take one for free let alone paying more than $20K for said car.

I know most people that own them will defend their purchase for eco friendly or economical reasons; but just be honest it's more for a statement/image than anything else.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #56
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,158
Quote:
The Prius cost several grand more than the comparable gas powered Corolla/Matrix.

The Tire issue is real, just because 1 guy on here that owns a Prius claims standard tire wear, you can google the issue and come up with several people complaining about premature tire wear

Even if the Battery pack has an 8yr or 100K warranty it's still a $2500 expense you're going to HAVE to pay at some point. If you buy a new one and dump it before 100K; you're obviously not buying the car for economical reasons. If I told you that you'd have to replace your Transmission or engine in any other car every 8 years or 100K you'd tell me that car is the biggest piece of shit on the planet and you wouldn't take one for free let alone paying more than $20K for said car.

I know most people that own them will defend their purchase for eco friendly or economical reasons; but just be honest it's more for a statement/image than anything else.
The battery packs have been lasting 300,000 miles in commercial service.

Regarding your link addressing tire wear, it doesn't prove your claim. Every response to the post about tire wear recommends checking the wheel alignment.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:23 AM   #57
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,027
This is how it works out for me, tire wear is a non issue as soon as you ditch the low resistance stockers. If it affects mileage I can't tell. We use the Prius in all weather, to run around our Dulles and National airport jobs and various other things that require a bit of offroad. So real tires are a must. We don't have any tire wear issues or traction control issues. It basically drives and wears like any other car.

We are well over a 100k now with almost no maintenance and zero service beyond routine. If this were a Corolla we would be looking at close to $1000 for the timing belt kit and major service items right now. Plus I wouldn't expect a whole lot more life out of the engine and transmission given the severe duty we dish out. So the idea of replacing the traction battery, if that is ever even necessary, isn't daunting to me.

Only time will tell how it holds up beyond 100k. But we would normally be replacing a vehicle at this point. We, the company owners, just talked about this car yesterday. We are keeping it in service because it literally gives no indication of mechanical or battery wear. Meanwhile the mechanic just told me my 100k mile oldest F150 has a book rate of six hours to replace the spark plugs. It is pretty trashed mechanically.

By the time he does the tuneup, brakes and other bits we are going to be close to the cost of that Prius traction battery. So you can see why we are so pleased with this little car. We are running it as hard as a compact truck and can't break it or wear it our. What little service it gets is ridiculously cheap. Factor using less than half the gas of our POS S10, which was junk at 75k miles, and we could not be more pleased.

If you want to talk to me about a Prius being fragile or the traction battery a liability, you picked the wrong guy. That little political statement has paid for itself and even turned a profit since we can bill the mileage at GSA rates. After you have used one as a survey truck for a couple of years then I am willing to listen. As for Internet wisdom, I did my own Googling before we bought it.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 06-08-2013 at 06:31 AM
Grreatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:19 AM   #58
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 6,955
I live in the land of Prius, but have been looking at the C-Max instead. They just look better to me and according to the writer in Motor Trend, is way more satisfying to drive. Maybe the OP should have a look at the C-Max.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...n/viewall.html

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:53 AM   #59
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post

Only time will tell how it holds up beyond 100k. But we would normally be replacing a vehicle at this point. We, the company owners, just talked about this car yesterday. We are keeping it in service because it literally gives no indication of mechanical or battery wear. Meanwhile the mechanic just told me my 100k mile oldest F150 has a book rate of six hours to replace the spark plugs. It is pretty trashed mechanically.
Six hours is the basic quote if none of the plugs break off in the head or any of the spark plug holes strip out.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:12 PM   #60
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,038
Friend has a Gen II Prius. She brags about how little she drives it, trying to be oh-so green. She mostly uses it to haul her road bikes to where she wants to ride. Huh? That's green....?

Anyway, she doesn't drive it much, once a week for 50 miles RT is about average. I am wondering if low use like that will somehow negatively affect the battery pack life, that it won't deep cycle, or something else.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: