Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-08-2013, 03:51 PM   #61
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 33,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
Friend has a Gen II Prius. She brags about how little she drives it, trying to be oh-so green. She mostly uses it to haul her road bikes to where she wants to ride. Huh? That's green....?

Anyway, she doesn't drive it much, once a week for 50 miles RT is about average. I am wondering if low use like that will somehow negatively affect the battery pack life, that it won't deep cycle, or something else.
Better than hauling her road bikes in or on a something less efficient than a Prius.

Toyota recommends staring the car every two month if is going to be idle.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:26 PM   #62
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,449
Thanks for the minimum use information. I was musing about the greenness when she could ride her bike (Laurel Heights/Presidio in SF) straight out of her house directly into Marin, where she rides her bike anyway, rather her driving to Marin with the bike.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:46 PM   #63
Dave
Huh?

Oddometer: 2,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder View Post
The Prius cost several grand more than the comparable gas powered Corolla/Matrix.

The Tire issue is real, just because 1 guy on here that owns a Prius claims standard tire wear, you can google the issue and come up with several people complaining about premature tire wear

Even if the Battery pack has an 8yr or 100K warranty it's still a $2500 expense you're going to HAVE to pay at some point. If you buy a new one and dump it before 100K; you're obviously not buying the car for economical reasons. If I told you that you'd have to replace your Transmission or engine in any other car every 8 years or 100K you'd tell me that car is the biggest piece of shit on the planet and you wouldn't take one for free let alone paying more than $20K for said car.

I know most people that own them will defend their purchase for eco friendly or economical reasons; but just be honest it's more for a statement/image than anything else.
Oh, fer shits'sake. The Corolla and Prius are NOT comparable cars. In size, the Prius is almost dead on with a Camry.

I'll back up what others have said. Premature tire wear is not an issue. I replaced the stock tires early, at 20k mi. because as with most factory tires, they suck. The second set went 40k mi, and I'm just into the third set.

As others have said, even if the battery crapped out at 100k, $2500 for maintenance over that mileage is not out of line for other cars. BTW, the battery is warranted for 150k in California. Same vehicle, same battery. Toyota feels confident enough to stand behind it.

I haven't heard any first hand account that you've owned one. Owners freely admit that it isn't an exciting car, but when it comes to everything else, it does its job with anvil like reliability and economy.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:59 AM   #64
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Here's why (I think) the Prius is a brilliant vehicle (and I don't own one).

Toyota knew it was putting the company's entire reputation on the line by developing and marketing the first hybrid. If it had problems or fell short hybrids may not be successful, and seriously damage Toyota's brand.

Thus far they have made all gens of the car supremely reliable.

It had to get significantly better mileage than other comparable car models that were not hybrid. They did that. (we're talking 2001-2004 here)

They built in the driving feel to inhibit driver behavior that would impinge on gas mileage. I thought that was a brilliant idea.

The car did require a good drag coefficient, although less so in the city where it shines, so it looks the way it does. But when the gen II came out, the same basic shape as the present one, it had a definitive highly recognizable shape/look. As soon as you saw it you knew it was different, then you find out its a Toyota, and its a a hybrid. Like it or loathe the look you knew its unique and its a Toyota, and until the second gen Honda insight, nothing else looks like that, because, well, at the time, there was nothing like that, a hybrid. Do you wonder why the Honda Insight II looks nearly identical? (and is a very disappointing car).

Essentially Toyota, as a the biggest car maker, admitted to the world there are real constraints to the unending stream of gasoline only powered vehicle. They probably knew that at the time a pure electric wasn't psychologically viable to make people go cold turkey off of gasoline (and that full electrics weren't ready). It helped start, or probably was the catalyst, to a huge step in various types of alternatively powered vehicles. They did this all without grandstanding or claiming their car is revolutionary. GM, with the impact had actually started this earlier with an all electric "impact" (the name said so much about GM)...but GM but got cold feet. Look who won.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #65
Vagabond_Explorer
Relax_Unwind_Chill

Oddometer: 142
I've been driving a Prius now for 8 years. My fuel economy average is 4.5l/100km. The front tyres last about 80,000 km and the rear ones about 83,000 km.

The lead taxi Prius I understand in Queensland have over 1,000,000 km on their odometer now.

They are VERY reliable cars and incredibly cheap to operate and service. I looked at buying a Nissan LEAF but the lack of range and charging stations were a put off. Also looked at buying a Holden Volt but at $60,000 it is too expensive and again, there are only half a dozen charging stations in the entire Sydney metropolitan area.

I think the Australian government isn't enthusiastic about promoting EVs or hybrids because they collect so much tax from fuel levies; it would be catastrophic to the Federal budget if say, consumption of petrol nationally were reduced by half.
Vagabond_Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #66
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,706
This is a very entertaining thread.......

mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:09 AM   #67
AppFan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
I owned my 2011 Prius for 2 months but missed the feeling of driving so traded it in. It's a great commuter car and does what it's supposed to but I just felt disconnected from the car if that makes any sense.
If you decide to get one and add a Thule rack, I can save you some money on the feet/adapters for the Prius.
AppFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:49 AM   #68
Rainmaster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
I have a 2011 Prius that I have driven for 26,000 in about 14 months. IMO the Prius seats are uncomfortable once you drive over 30-40 minutes so make sure to go on a long test drive and or rent one to make sure that the seat is not an issue. They are very plasticy on the inside, and its one of the most bland handling cars ever built. No feel, no sense of driving, just like using your washer or drier at home. Having said that it has been as reliable as an anvil and its roomier inside than my compact SUV.

Living in the NE Georgia mtns I have a 160 mile commute (well over a 120 miles of highway driving) to Atlanta 3 times a week and I drive it like i stole it, no pussy footing crap trying to get every spec of energy out of the gas tank and I still get 51 mpg average (i keep a spreadsheet) and it saves me about $96 a month in gas compared to my last car that got me 29 mpg's on average.

BTW my tires are doing just fine but I also don't inflate them to absurd psi's either (38 front, 36 rears). I also carry my kayaks with a Thule rack and it works fine. Would i buy it again? Most likely. I hate the seat but there's nothing out there that comes close and the reported reliability issues with VW's and the outrageous cost of diesel kill that as an option for me.

Rainmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:26 AM   #69
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,541
I have never owned a Toyota with decent seats. Even the seats in our 4Runner Limited suck. I have come to believe KTM hires all of their seat designers away from Toyota by promising to provide them even greater latitude in designing instruments of torture. Seats are the one thing Honda truly does better for both bikes and cars.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:47 AM   #70
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
My daily driver is an '09 Prius, fully loaded Touring package. Every option. Sold my Tundra that got 14 mpg in 2009 and bought the Prius as I was sick of spending over $100 at every fillup. I have averaged 50 mpg on the Prius over the last 4 years. Zero problems. I use synthetic oil, change it every 10,000 miles and the old stuff still looks brand new as the gas engine only runs half the time. It is a one trick pony car - all about gas mileage and ultra low emissions, both are superlative for a vehicle that comfortably seats 4 or 5 and has all the amenities of a modern car. Driving dynamics encourage mellow driving, this is the car to drive if you are trying to calm your driving down - it does not like going fast or being hustled. BTW, this is our 2nd Prius. I bought my wife a new '05 and our son drives it now - he loves it as we make him pay for his own gas. Highly recommended. I can't see myself going back to a conventional automobile and I have always been a car nut - I just find the technology fascinating and you can't drive fast around here anymore without getting in trouble.
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:00 AM   #71
Dastard
Just another guy

Oddometer: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccooper View Post
I'm thinking seriously about buying a new 2013 Toyota Prius Two. I've never owned a hybrid before, but I now need something really good on gas. I average probably 1000+ miles a month driving for kayaking and think the Prius may fit my needs pretty well. Real world MPG? Reliability? Hybrid battery/components life? Acceleration/power? Thanks.
Often in stop and go traffic I would get 75mpg plus for over an hour. 38-45 on the interstate doing 65-75. It was NOT a great handling car, the tires had thin side walls or something and the thing did not handle great on a curvy road (I realize this is not what it was meant for). Handled well in strong winds, I read somewhere that it is more aerodynamic than a corvette (no, I can't cite a source). I would regularly drive it like I stole it. It had more cargo space than a car like that looks like it should have.

What I hated. If you were at an intersection and turning right, and needed to punch it, the "massive" torque from 0 rpm would spin the outside wheel, and then the TC would kick in. It would cut power/ignition whatever and the car would lurch, almost like you ran into something, 2-3 cycles of lurch-go and you were finally going straight and it worked fine.

What I really hated. The brakes. If you were braking and the road was not smooth, (washboards near an intersection, sand, pothole etc) the ABS would kick on WAY TO SOON and you would feel yourself not stopping. After awhile I learned where this would happen and slowed down sooner. My wife loved the car until she experienced this and almost rear ended the guy in front of her with our two kids in the back seat. Got rid of it two days later.

D

Dastard screwed with this post 06-13-2013 at 10:25 AM
Dastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:18 AM   #72
Dastard
Just another guy

Oddometer: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavidv View Post
The Prius is a "feel good" car. They really don't make any financial sense. Meanwhile, you're saddled with driving an uninspiring car full of compromises.
When we first got ours, I was commuting enough and it was saving us enough money on gas to make its own payment. I'm not saying a Yaris would give us equal savings (slightly worse gas mileage, lower price) but we needed a car to transport two adults and two car seats.

D
Old 06-13-2013, 11:29 AM   #73
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
saving us enough money on gas to make its own payment.
That's pretty impressive.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:13 PM   #74
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,541
My situation is unusual since it is commercial service, but our Prius literally paid for itself. We bill our contract vehicle mileage at GSA reimbursable rates. So we actually ran the numbers on this thing while we were working out our capital equipment needs for this year.

At the 100,000 mile mark we have billed roughly $50,000 for mileage on that Prius. In that time it has used about $12,000 in gas, oil, tires and general maintenance for a car that cost approximately $22,000. That works out to a few thousand in pure profit every year it has been in the field.

Granted that isn't much in the overall operation of our company. But the compact truck it replaced usually cost a couple of thousand per year after the reimbursable mileage fees. And making a couple of thousand dollars always beats losing a couple of thousand dollars - especially with profit sharing.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:25 AM   #75
Vagabond_Explorer
Relax_Unwind_Chill

Oddometer: 142
Another great thing about hybrids is that you get preferential parking (i.e. right at the most convenient spots) in many shopping centres in Sydney.

I spoke to the owner of a cab company in Cairns, Qld and he told me that it is the model with the lowest overheads; and they also run LPG cars and diesel models!

My only complaint is that there are no plug-in Prius in Australia to compete with the Holden Volt.
Vagabond_Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: