User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2014, 04:13 PM   #1
WildMonkey OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
WildMonkey's Wild Ride !

* Hey Y’all ! *Come on in, get comfortable, and let me tell you a story ! *Well…. Ok, let me tell you the beginning of a story, and then I will update this thread with each new chapter of the story, as it gets written ! *You are about to tag along on WildMonkey’s Great Alaskan Adventure, or “GAA…” as I may refer to it in the future… LoL.. **Ok, here’s the beginning of my RR to AK, June of 2014…. *Well, actually, this begins sometime the first part of 2010, whilst I was dodging rockets etc. in southern Afghanistan ! *So originally, I was going to head to points north as soon as I returned home and was still on leave, however, life happens… (I met a girl), and things got pushed farther & farther to the right, calendar wise ! *I did start buying stuff for the trip while deployed, as time & internet access allowed, with the decision, and purchase of the bike, being the main one ! *I also found and joined all you FF’s here on ADV and started with the “Due Dilligence” of the planning ! *I was getting more and more excited, and could not stop thinking of the day I actually went KSU (Kick Stand Up), and rolled on the throttle ! **So, I survived all things hostile, and returned home happy as a clam, with a new bike in the stable, and a live wire on my arm ! *LoL.. *so life is good, I’m starting my own business, and dreaming of a ride… then one wintry day… *I took a step, slid on a patch of ice, and my plans got put on hold for another year ! *So, now I have burned up 2011 & 2012, spent the first 7 mos. of 2013 in phys. rehab., to be rear ended while turning into my driveway just 45 days after being cleared to return to work from my little slip on the ice ! *Well Hell ! so much for the year 2013 trip ! *So, I decide, Screw It, I’ll just make the trip in 2014 as my 50th*B-day celebration ! **I would like to take this point to say, “Thank You” to my parents, Shauna, (Said Live Wire), Todd,(All Around Great Friend), and all my friends & co-workers, for supporting and allowing me this fantastic opportunity ! *Without any more blathering from me, here are the pics ! *One of me, one of the “Live Wire” aka Shauna, and one or two of the bike, the first day I actually got it on the lift to start the installs/maintenance/upgrades on April 26th, 2014.
2006 DR 650 "Flying Bananna"
WildMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:31 PM   #2
WildMonkey OP
Gnarly Adventurer

First "From the Road" Update !

Ok, first, please forgive me for the lack of pics, which were promised earlier ! I will post them, I am just struggling with the merging of different technologies, and my sore buttocks, after departing beautiful North Cantonment at 0700 this morning, headed to the great North & West ! Of course I only covered a whopping 380 miles, but hey, I'm gonna play the weather card, and say the wind gusts and rain helped me to make the very easy decision for an early end to today's travels ! So, here I am in West Monroe, LA, with great hopes to make it to my reserved camp site in Branson, MO tomorrow ! I plan on just heading straight North up hwy 165 to hwy 65. Gonna spend two nights there, and then meet up with fellow inmate Wynngs at a camp site in West Des Moines IA Thursday night.... so let the adventuring begin !

Steve.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:22 PM   #3
WildMonkey OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Branson or Bust !

Well, Good Evening to all my fellow adventurers, and Hello to the rest of you FF's ! ... Okay, so let's just say, Thankfully, I had an uneventful ride from West Monroe, LA to Branson, MO and actually got to the campground here in MO on schedule ! The only excitement being that apparently my Buell doesn't like it's muffler anymore, and is trying to ditch it's muffler mounting clamps one at a time ! LoL,,,, should have that straightened out first thingin the morning ! Now I may have a picture of my campsite to share, ,,, nope, maybe later when I feel like getting back out of the tent, ... to get the freaking Camera ! GAA....

Steve.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:48 PM   #4
Mcgee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
First of all, THANK YOU FOR SERVING!!! Sounds like you have a great trip planned and am looking forward to it and some pic’s!
Old 06-04-2014, 07:00 PM   #5
WildMonkey OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Prepping to leave Branson !

Hello Again, and Hi to one new follower ! . I am sitting here in my very comfortable Kermit chair, taking a break from packing up & re organizing my trusty steed Hildalgo, and thought, man, I need to share my days experience with all the FF's out there, and maybe even some who I wouldcall friend ! So, let's start with the obvious, still no pictures... I'm still working on that ! Now last night was my first full test of all my nice camping gear, and Wow, pleasantly surprised with everything ! I slept well, even after the shower room from hell, and yes, they even had scorpions in them ! However, what really sucked about the shower room, was the straight from Hades freaking Heat ! I just wanted a shower, and instead I think I was transported back to the movie set for the Scorpion King ! GAA.... I mean people, in the time it took to step out of the ice cold shower water, go 2 steps, grab my towel, and start drying myself off, I was sweating like a man strapped in an electric chair, and one of you FF's had your hand on the switch ! So after a huge amount of cussing, and trying to get cold enough to dry off without sweating like a fat man in a cake shop with no money, I finally made it back to the tent ! Ok, it finally was cool enough for me to be comfortable & not sweat, let me get some shut eye . Now I know that my thermarest sleeping pad is supposed to be like sleeping on a magic carpet, and mind you, I did sleep good, but I need to be honest, and just admit, I am going to have to drop at least 50 to 60 pounds to enjoy the legendary comfort of my Thermarest ! Honestly, that is actually one of my "hidden" agendas, my trip to Alaska is also a diet & fitness plan ! now my activities for today. After sleeping in a little late... I rolled out of the tent about 0745 and made coffee ! After enjoying said pot of Joe for about 2 hours, I headed into the big city of Branson for a few supplies, and to visit the Branson Auto & Farm Museum ! Oh, and I stopped at IHOP for a late lunch and free wifi ! I then returned to my campsite, and dug into Hildalgo's underside, to have a look at the broken hanger/clamp, and start the futile act of trying to find a replacement for the broken one ! Let me just say, I have been the butt of many Harley-Davidson part's guys demeaning jokes about my Buell, but as I type this at 8:55 cst, I still do not even have a "maybe" ! So, I will ride out of here in the morning, and see how far/long it will stay together, or until I find one ! Well, if you read all this, I bid you well, I am off to battle scorpions, and try to get cleaner than I am while I typed this book , . Until tomorrow, and West Des Moines, IA, Good Night America, and God Bless !

Steve.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:50 PM   #6
WildMonkey OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 4, posting from Walnut Woods state campground here in beautiful West Des Moines !

Greetings to All !
Just a quick update, after dodging some extremely hostile weather, and staying wet almost all day, the angels finally sang, the clouds parted, and I managed to find my campsite without any misdirection ! Score one for me! About 20 minutes after arriving and setting up camp, Wynngs rolled up looking most dapper on his gs1200, and we quickly dispensed with greetings and introductions, and headed out in search of comida ! We will be departing from here heading towards Gering, NE, and points farther north & west ! That's all for today folks,as always, Good Night, and God Bless !

Steve.