User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2014, 08:00 AM   #1
1UglyBastard OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
First camping bike trip. Philly to NOLA

I'm a bit late in writing this road report. Mostly because it doesn't compare to 90% of the people's on here, but I'd like to contribute. The trip took place in mid April and lasted 7 days.

So, I decided I wanted a Ducati Monster 1100EVO. I've always been a Honda guy because of their reliability but the Monster got my attention. So, I bought a 696, loved it, but wanted a higher sitting position and something with a lower exhaust so I could accommodate side bags without breaking the bank. The EVO was the one. So, I looked for one all across N. America and found this one in Philadelphia.
Attached Images

1UglyBastard screwed with this post 06-05-2014 at 11:12 AM
1UglyBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:13 AM   #2
1UglyBastard OP
Adventurer

So after dealing with the sale and registering it, I flew out to Philly. Fortunately my girlfriend's family is out there as well as a couple of StuntBums so I stayed with them the first 2 days, getting to know the area on my bike.

Had to get some Wawa too.

(hopefully you guys can see these pics. Let me know if they don't post)

Old 06-05-2014, 08:14 AM   #3
1UglyBastard OP
Adventurer

I'm assuming this site doesn't resize the pics.... guess i'll have to do it manually. Gonna try Photobucket

1UglyBastard screwed with this post 06-05-2014 at 09:01 AM
Old 06-05-2014, 08:48 AM   #4
1UglyBastard OP
Adventurer

Next day I took a ride out to Jersey and crossed the Delaware River.

I found all the traffic intimidating. I commute through New Orleans often so I'm used to the cars, but when you have to look out for cars and at your GPS and the surrounding area for streets and whatnot, it can be scary. Not to mention, I don't know how the driver culture is there. In California, cars actually moved out of my way when I was splitting lanes. In the northeast I found them to be similar to New Orleans: a mixed bunch; a few try to cut you off, others stay out of your way. Overall, it was manageable.

1UglyBastard screwed with this post 06-05-2014 at 09:01 AM
Old 06-05-2014, 11:00 AM   #5
1UglyBastard OP
Adventurer

This was my first time camping and riding. I've camped, but in the Marine Corps. And I've done long motorcycle road trips, but in previous rides, I stayed with friends, slept on couches, motels, and the occasional bench at a truck stop. I wanted to give camping a try though, so I studied people's setups on here. I saw many who had everything tied with bungees so I went that route.

Unfortunately, being a complete novice, I either had it set up wrong or the cords were too old and they all snapped while on the interstate. I ended up scratching up the tail cover because it was on top of my gear, ripping my sleeping pad, ripping the bottom of my backpack which was strapped to my dry bag, and making some small holes in my tent.

I was able to get everything off the hwy, assess the damage, and see how I could get everything back on the bike and get off at the nearest exit, which was only about 50 yards away. For a few seconds I started to question if this trip was going to be worth the experience, but then I figured everyone here has had setbacks, so I needed to just toughen up and work with what I had. I duck taped the bottom of my back pack and strapped it on my back, tied a leftover bungee around my remaining gear and held it up on my tank with my arms, and bid farewell to my tail cover.

Lesson learned: use strong straps and tie downs. Fortunately there was a Lowe's at the base of the nearby exit. I stocked up on straps, rope, and other tie down equipment and spent half an hour configuring a secure setup.

After this trip, I think I'm going to weld and manufacture a bracket for my tail for future trips. Just something simple that will prevent movement of my gear caused by high winds.

1UglyBastard screwed with this post 06-05-2014 at 11:13 AM
Old 06-05-2014, 11:08 AM   #6
1UglyBastard OP
Adventurer

The scenery became beautiful the further I got away from the city. Here's the Potomac River.

I decided that I'd spend the first night at the beginning of the Blue Ridge Pkwy, so I camped in Shenandoah Acres in Stuarts Draft, Va.

The tent wasn't in bad condition. It was still waterproof. It just had a couple of cigarette burn looking holes on the floor, but since I put a tarp down anyway, it didn't affect anything. I'm just going to patch it up for future use. My sleeping pad however, no longer held air. I'm going to send it back to the maker and see if they can repair or replace it. Sometimes they replace them as a courtesy

1UglyBastard screwed with this post 06-05-2014 at 11:15 AM
Old 06-05-2014, 11:21 AM   #7
1UglyBastard OP
Adventurer

Next morning I was eager to jump on the Blue Ridge. I must say, it had a few tight turns and a lot of long sweepers. Most of the road was in great shape. It had a few flat, straight sections, many cliffs, elevation changes, and a lot of winding sections tunneled by trees. I've done Tail of the Dragon, Pacific Coast Hwy, Ortega Hwy, the Cherohala, and a few other great roads and this one is tied with PCH as being the best I've ever experienced.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:24 AM   #8
1UglyBastard OP
Adventurer

I made it into North Carolina and camped at Stone Mountain State Park in Roaring Gap, NC. The people there were very friendly, camping was cheap, and the night sky was so clear; something we don't get to see in the city.

The road into the park was full of extremely tight turns. if you're a kneedragger you'll love it. just be careful with loose gravel and blind turns.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:35 AM   #9
1UglyBastard OP
Adventurer

I stopped in Asheville for the night at a hostel called Bon Paul and Sharky's. People were friendly. The area in which I stayed was a hipster type area, but very active with bars.

Next morning I hopped back on the Blue Ridge to finish it off. Not long after I jumped on, I ran into other Duc riders. We stopped and chatted about the bikes for a while and took pics, of course.

The end of the road came abruptly, mostly because I was captivated by the scenery and the road. I almost felt a bit lost as I stood there at the end of the road, as if I'd not expected the journey to end and now didn't know where to go nor what to do. Of course, I had to go home, but I thought I'd take my time riding through Cherokee, NC.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:40 AM   #10
1UglyBastard OP
Adventurer

That evening I made it into Atlanta and met up with ScootersNotBombs. The guy was an excellent host and super friendly. Hopefully he'll make it down to NOLA some day so I can return the favor.

That evening they were having a bike night so I rode along with them and drank and ate all night. I met a pack of great people. Aside from the Blue Ridge, I'd say this was the highlight of the trip. I hope to make another trip soon to hang with them.

This is Scoot's dog, by the way. His face maintains this expression at all times.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:42 AM   #11
1UglyBastard OP
Adventurer

After ATL, the trip home was pretty much a straight shot, one day ride. I stopped in Alabama for gas and stood at a urinal looking at the results of the Alabama educational system.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:54 AM   #12
1UglyBastard OP
Adventurer

Of course, The trip wouldn't have been complete without another setback. I was about 6 hours from home when I moved my foot to shift and I couldn't feel my shifter.

I looked down and the bolt had vibrated out. Fortunately the shifter was still hanging there, intact.

I pulled off at an exit and into a gas station. Unfortunately they didn't have hardware that would work, so I removed a bolt from my riser and it fit just fine. I purchased a washer and some thread locker from the gas station temporarily fixed it.

It was enough to get me back on the road, but hours later it would vibrate out as well. I guess I hadn't torqued it down well enough, but any tighter and the shifter wouldn't move. Fortunately the bike had enough power and torque that even when stuck in 3rd gear it could take off fine, and since the duc has pretty tall gearing, I was able to make it all the way to New Orleans after having to fill up two more times.

What really bugged me was being stuck on the side of the road for a good 30 minutes and having at least 6 motorcyclists just breeze by me, when I really could have used a helping hand at the time. It's what I do when I see a fellow rider stranded. Anyway, lesson learned: don't get stranded in Alabama, and if I do, don't expect any help from the locals.

As soon as I got home, I went straight to my dealer and bought the proper bolt for the shifter. The parts guy said it must happen often because he had a few in stock. Another lessons learned: buy an extra bolt before going on another trip, and check it often.