Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 10:21 AM   #31
ridelimousin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Nice thread - these Serows are tough little machines!
ridelimousin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:47 PM   #32
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 631
Nice bikes.....

I think I could stand to ride a lighter bike for a change since all I've had for the past 50 years are the heavier ones. Lighter is calling me.....Thanks for the cool RR...

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Ride

Oldone screwed with this post 07-01-2013 at 03:12 PM
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:54 PM   #33
PPCLI-Jim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Excellent reporting I had an 03 XT225 I did the Z1 mods to it and they helped with a little more power then stock. I foolishly sold it when I got the DR 650, thinking back I should've never sold it. I like the DR 650 but it gets to be a handful picking it up 3 or more times a day.

http://www.youtube.com/user/spudhead/videos?view=0 my youtube channel
PPCLI-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:14 AM   #34
afewsketchymoments OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Heading South.

Well after ten days down time due to falling off a bridge, then having a piece of wood crack me in the back of the head. I am finally starting to feel like myself again. It is looking like we are just going to take the Coho Ferry over to Port Angels and stick to the coast for the most part. Although anything is possible. Stay tuned for pictures to follow.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:47 AM   #35
afewsketchymoments OP
Gnarly Adventurer

After a long two weeks of laying around, due to a concussion from a log laying the smack down on me, Wally and I are finally back on the road.
Taking the old faithful Coho ferry back over to Port Angels in Washington proved to be the first head ache. (Not involving a log.) The U.S customs official took a disliking to me and tried her best to end the journey before it had even really began. She made a phone call over the water to the U.S to inform them I was on my way, to get them ready for the shake down. She then told me, "best case scenario is a night in jail then turned around back into Canada".
On arrival to Port Angels I shakily rolled up to the Customs man, I could not believe it when he did not even ask for my passport, only asking me a couple of standard questions, then telling me to have a safe fun trip. God bless America! I am back in the land of the free, home of the brave and loving life. These colors may not run, but I am, as I only have 20 days here. So my normal routine of moving at a snails pace is going to take a shake up this time.

Ruby

Mental
Old 06-24-2013, 12:23 PM   #36
NitroRoo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
Very cool report guys! As a guy who rides an older smaller bike, I'm really liking this one! Dig the surfboard mount too - just make sure you only crash to the right
Old 06-24-2013, 10:00 PM   #37
afewsketchymoments OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroRoo View Post
Very cool report guys! As a guy who rides an older smaller bike, I'm really liking this one! Dig the surfboard mount too - just make sure you only crash to the right
Thanks for the kind words. Funny thing is the board rack is a little close to my left foot. So I have dropped the bike a couple of times on the board. But it is holding up.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:05 PM   #38
afewsketchymoments OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Wet day

Portland to Coos Bay, proved to be very wet today. Not much else to add.
afewsketchymoments is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:45 PM   #39
tuna101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Matt, Just got back from N. Ca. and Oregon. I saw you guys N. of Brookings, and yes it was pouring. I mean afterall a XT225 carrying a surf board? It had to be you.

Were in my GMC with the truck camper and my XT on the front. I doubt you saw us with the ammount of rain that was coming down. To much to turn around and chase you down, just kept truckin.

tuna101 screwed with this post 07-09-2013 at 08:09 AM
tuna101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:37 PM   #40
afewsketchymoments OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna101 View Post
Matt, Just got back from N. Ca. and Oregon. I saw you guys N. of Brookings, and yes it was pouring. I mean afterall a XT225 carrying a surf board? It had to be you.

Were in my GMC with the truck camper and my XT on the front. I doubt you saw us with the ammount of rain that was coming down. To much to turn around and chase you down, just kept truckin.
Hey Tuna. I did see you. But did not even clue in that it was you. Was thinking this guys got the right idea, having the XT on the front of a dry warm car. Haha
Jim from Canada told me that it was you.
I am back in Australia working for a couple of months working to top the funds back up. Hope to be back over there and heading south in a couple of months.
Hope your well.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:04 AM   #41
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,304
Neat idea on the XT225 and Surfboard. Gotta love it. Love the little bike. Put a few hundred miles on one in Arkansas 's Ozarks back roads. Hard to beat. '

An '00 KLR 650, An '07 1250S, An '03 5.3L Chevy Truck + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:39 PM   #42
afewsketchymoments OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Back on the Frog and toad.

High above Sydney in the belly of a beast. Next stop Los Angeles.

farewell sydney

After arriving in the USA, I took a bus to a friends place in Ojai, which is a small town in the hills behind Ventura, in California.
Really beautiful place, and also the place of where I left the mighty XT.
Put the key in, pushed the button and low and behold it fired right up. Music to my ears.

south bound

However my run of luck ran out pretty quick. A seal on the engine cover is spraying oil like a super soaker. And I somehow foolishly managed to loose a pannier with a bunch of food in it. Also to add injury to insult, I forgot to bring a bunch of gear with me, so half my stuff is sitting back in Australia, which is both a blessing and a curse I guess. You would think after having so much travel experience one would have this shit a little more dialed, but I seem to be getting worse at it each time.

I should also mention that it is just one Xt225 now. Wally is back in Austin working. Tomorrow I cross into Baja. South bound. Tierra del fuego being the end of the journey, with any luck.

afewsketchymoments screwed with this post 10-06-2013 at 06:50 PM
afewsketchymoments is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:42 PM   #43
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,304
Will be following your travels. Love the XT225 and rode one about Arkansas back roads for awhile.

An '00 KLR 650, An '07 1250S, An '03 5.3L Chevy Truck + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:53 AM   #44
tuna101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Welcome back Matt. Jim Bob wrote me to tell me you were back. Let us know what you find out about the oil leak. What's your plans?
tuna101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:06 PM   #45
afewsketchymoments OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Baja

No return.

Entered into Baja today. Made it as far as El Rosario.
Stuck to the pavement for the most part, ventured onto dirt for maybe 50-70kms to hunt for a few waves.
Did not get my bike import sticker at the boarder though. Does anyone know where to get one from in La Paz or anywhere else for that matter.

Tuna the bike seems to be running well. Although still have a minor oil leak and my speedo is no longer working. Checked the cable from the speedo and all seems fine. So maybe a problem in the wheel?