User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2014, 02:06 PM   #166
UltiJayne OP
Sister on a KLR

Oddometer: 74
Cool2 Goodbye Cold and Rain: Crossing into Argentina

I had one of my earliest ever starts the day I left Bolivia. I woke up at 6am and was on the bike and out the door by 7am. A stop for gas and to post some postcards, then I was on my way back towards Potosi.

I didn't even stop in Potosi, just turned South and sped towards Argentina.
The boys had put Jordon and Frank on a bus the previous evening.

Jordon and Frank being towed from the hostel to the bus station. Photo: Josh Lester

Jordon tucking Frank in to the bus' luggage compartment. Photo: Josh Lester

They were also heading towards Argentina, so I knew I was likely to see the gang at the border. In fact I caught up with them sooner than that. Just after Tupiza I saw Josh, Alan, Arun and a stranger on a BMW pulled up at a gas station. The stranger turned out to be Andre, a Dutch guy that had also been in Cusco.

Apparently moments earlier 64 year old Alan had lay down in front of the gas pump in protest to them not wanting to sell him gas. Arun had then sweet talked the lady into giving them gas at the local rate! I didn't need to fill up, but not one to pass up a bargain, I took as much as I could after they had all filled their tanks.

We were soon at the Villazon border crossing into Argentina. We parked behind two familiar BMWs. It was the Dutchbags. They had been there for five hours, and were just finishing the crossing process.

We took a deep breath, and headed towards the long queues of people.
First was the window on the left. This is where you need to get your bike stamped out of Bolivia. You need a photocopy of your import document. While I stood in this line with Andre and Arun, the others went across the road to the Bolivian immigration line, where they managed to get all of our passports stamped out of Bolivia without any trouble.

The longest line was to enter Argentina. Josh and Alan joined this line with our passports while we were still waiting to get our bikes out of Bolivia.

Once we actually got to the window, the man stamped our papers out very quickly. Josh and Alan hadn't moved much, so after speaking to a few official looking people and figuring out our next step, I went over to the right hand side of the customs building to get everyone numbers. You see one needs a number, to join the queue to get vehicles imported into Argentina. I got five numbers and returned to the Argentinian immigration queue, where it seemed like Josh and Alan hadn't even moved!

We all took turns standing in that queue, I'm sure in total we were in it for over an hour. When we finally made it to the window, the ladies inside took their sweet time typing all our information into their computers, and were particularly interested in the fact that we were all on motorcycles. As they finished each person's passport, I handed them a number, and told them to head over to the door with the Christmas tree on the other building.

Unfortunately that wasn't the correct door, that was the place where I had been given the numbers, the correct door was the door to the left in the middle.

By sending them to the wrong door, somehow Arun managed to get himself stamped OUT of Argentina. This after we had just spent so long in line waiting to get stamped in! As soon as he realised, Arun went back to the guy and got another stamp in.

I was worried that we had missed our spot in the customs line by being at immigration for so long, but I needn't have worried, we had numbers 50-54 and they were only on number 46 when I got over there.

Josh headed over to a money changer to get some Argentinian Pesos. The word on the biker circuit was that we needed to bring lots of American Dollars with us to Argentina, because you could get 50% more pesos than the official rate on the black market. This turns out to be absolutely true, and Josh came back with a fist full of Pesos.

More waiting, and then eventually we each got our turn to have import documents issued for our bikes. We got through the border relatively quickly, because we had people standing in all the queues at once. If you did it on your own, standing in each line in order, it would have taken twice as long.

Three hours after arriving at the border, we were finally able to leave Bolivia behind, and enter Argentina.

Brings into focus just how much further we have to go. The reason this is the only picture of the border is because I got in so much trouble for taking this picture!

We found a hotel with a room for the five of us in the border town of La Quiaca. It turned out the Dutchbags had found the same hotel, so there were a lot of bikes in the parking lot!

We had a very disappointing dinner that evening. Plain chicken with fries, when we thought we were getting something much nicer, so much for delicious Argentinian food!

The guys found a bakery with nice coffee for breakfast and then we were off, on a mission to get to Salta!

2007 Yamaha YBR125 with L plates! (UK)
2006 KLR650 (Canada)
UltiJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:09 PM   #167
* SHAG *
Unstable

Oddometer: 4,341
Great stuff Jayne
05-GS- Rock Red 92k
06-GS- Dakar-40k Sold
* SHAG * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:48 PM   #168
SteveTheLocal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Currently in Cafayete

Don't miss this town about a day south of you. A great wine vibe, great food, packed plaza. Boreal Love you nice. I'm going to stay another day. PM me for a great meal tip.
S.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:49 PM   #169
SteveTheLocal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Ha ha

Don't you just love auto fill?
Old 02-05-2014, 04:26 AM   #170
UltiJayne OP
Sister on a KLR

Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTheLocal View Post
Don't miss this town about a day south of you. A great wine vibe, great food, packed plaza. Boreal Love you nice. I'm going to stay another day. PM me for a great meal tip.
S.
Love you too.

The ride report is way behind (although I'm catching up!!) I stopped in Cafayate a couple weeks ago. Cool town. :-)

Right now I am near Quillon in Chile. Planning to start heading further South on Friday. :-)

2006 KLR650 (Canada)
Old 02-06-2014, 10:01 AM   #171
UltiJayne OP
Sister on a KLR

Cool2 The Hobbit Road to Salta, Argentina

It was a pretty long, straight road to Salta, but there were some nice views, and lots of llamas.

Cricket, glad to be in Argentina.

We all rode our own pace, and so I found myself riding alone for long stretches, then would see one of the gang pulled over, we'd have a chat, and then back to riding alone.

Andre, Josh and Alan have a roadside chat

At one point I saw quite a few bikers on the side of the road ahead. It was Arun, Alan and Andre with three Argentinian bikers. When I asked them about where to get a good exchange rate for dollars, they offered to exchange some right there. This was great for me, as I hadn't exchanged any at the border, and so I cashed up right there on the side of the road.

They, like everyone else, offered better rates for hundred dollar bills than for twenties and made me wish, not for the last time, that I had exchanged all my twenties for bigger bills.

Impromptu roadside money and cultural exchange

It turned out that we hadn't left all the rain behind in Bolivia, and it started raining pretty hard. I stopped with Andre for a while in a shelter, but the rain continued on, so we got back on our bikes. We met up with Arun and Alan, and we all decided to stop for gas at the next station, and lunch at the same time. Somehow we lost Arun and Andre, so Alan and I stopped for gas and lunch together.

Lunch was nice, but incredibly slow. There was a misunderstanding with the waiter, and he brought my food, but none for Alan! He hadn't realised that Alan wanted a coffee and his lunch together. He had brought the coffee, and was waiting for Alan to finish it before he brought him food. Sometimes I think I will never understand these Latinos!

After spending more than an hour at lunch, we were on the final stretch to Salta. Argentina had a great road in store for us. Ruta 9 is a sweet, narrow hobbit road that winds through the forest on the side of a mountain. It is quite possibly my favourite road of the trip so far.

It is something like a bike path back home in Canada. Just a bit wider than a car, but it has two way traffic! There wasn't much traffic on it however, as buses and trucks would never make it, and it was really fun riding!

Unfortunately I was having too much fun to take any pictures of the hobbit road. I'll add one in if any of the rest of the gang has one.

We finally pulled into the Loki Hacienda hostel late in the afternoon. It's pretty far out of town, but that was okay for those of us with our own wheels. TThe "countryside" location meant there was plenty of room, and even a pool!

The Loki Hacienda Pool and Bar

Alan and I were the last to arrive, probably because of our long lunch and a side trip Alan took us on to explore a little village off the side of the road at one point.

Alan dragged me through a village and up a random gravel road. This is what we found at the end.

We were booked to stay in Salta for a few days, the hostel was free because they had had some bad reviews lately and were trying to build up their reputation.

The bikes parked outside our cabin/dorm.

Jordon and his bike Frank had made it by taking a bus to the border and then hitching a ride with a man with a truck. Jordon paid the man to drive him all the way to Salta, even though that wasn't where the guy lived!

The sun was shining, we'd all made it to Salta, and the hostel had a bar. All was well with the world.

2006 KLR650 (Canada)
Old 02-06-2014, 10:19 AM   #172
UltiJayne OP
Sister on a KLR

Cool2 A Tale of Nine Motorcyclists: Salta, Argentina

Soon after Alan, Arun, Andre, Josh, Jordon and I had arrived in Salta, Ryan and Mark joined us from their jaunt through Chile. That made eight of us (but only seven bikes because Jordon's was at the mechanic). A day later, at 3am or some crazy time like that, my brother Phil, with his arm still in a sling, arrived after taking seven buses over three days to get there from where I'd left him in Cusco.

Phil behind the bar at Loki in Salta

What had drawn so many motorcycle adventurers together at one time? A little rally they call the Dakar was arriving in town on January 10th, 2014.

Our bikes at Loki. Perfectly lined up, except for Arun. Always trying to be different.

We'd actually arrived before the racers did, and so took advantage of the extra day to get some motorcycle maintenance done. My left fork had been leaking oil at an alarming rate since Potosi, and so I was on a mission to find new fork seals. Jordon took us to the motorcycle parts and repair street where a mechanic was re-winding the coil in Jordon's stator by hand.

This is something that would simply never happen in Canada (the stator would be replaced), but here in South America it was no problem at all.

I visited most of the motorcycle parts stores along the road, managing to ask if they had fork seals, without actually knowing the correct term in Spanish. Eventually, after being offered some pretty iffy aftermarket fork seals in the only shop that had anything close, in the last shop along the road (of course), the sweetest old man pulled out a ripped bag from 2003 with two OEM (Original Engine Manufacturer) KLR fork seals, which he sold to me for the equivalent of $9 for the pair. (OEM fork seals usually sell for $15 each).

He was very interested in my trip, and incredibly proud to be able to help me on my way.

The other guys were busy having new tires installed, oil changed, and off finding the plaza where Dollars could be exchanged for lots and lots of Pesos. I put those of the gang paying to have their oil changed to shame by changing Cricket's myself on the sidewalk, new filter and all. I would have done the fork seals too, but I don't have a centre stand and the mechanic who was just finishing Jordon's bike said he'd do them both for $15. He took a look at my leaking fork and pointed out some microscopic lines in the shaft of the fork. He suggested that my problem might be worse than just needing new seals.

The mechanic with Cricket parked in the back

I gave him fresh fork oil to put in and my newly acquired seals, and left Cricket with him, telling him I'd just hope for the best.

While in Salta, I decided to interview my fellow travellers. In Cusco I'd reluctantly given up travelling with my brother, but ended up with a whole new international family to travel with. I love them all.

Interviewing them was a really interesting process. I liked hearing the similarities and differences of all these travellers, who were undertaking similar journeys, but each in their own way.

The biggest similarity? Every single one of them said that their advice to anyone considering making a trip like ours was to “Just DO it!”.

Without further ado, meet the motorcyclists:

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: Ryan Leveille

Ryan with his bike Tina in Salta.

The first time I met Ryan was at the Estrellita Hostel in Cusco. Phil and I were chatting with Arun, who we'd met earlier in the chicken restaurant. Ryan had had a few drinks and was feeling a bit merry. He sat down and told us the story of his electrical woes on his 2nd generation KLR. It was easy for us to sympathize, giving all the electrical issues we'd had at the beginning of our trip. From that moment on we were good friends. He's a stellar guy, quiet and full of surprises.

Ryan bonding with one of the hostel strays.

My favourite fact about Ryan? He used to build lasers.

Hometown: Montgomery, Massechusets
Bike: 2011 Kawasaki KLR650
Bike's Name: Tina because Tina is a white trashy name, and he is treating it like shit and going to sell it at the end of the ride.

Date left: June 9, 2013
From/To: Deadhorse, Alaska to Ushuaia, Argentina
Planning to sell his bike in Paraguay

Best day: Coming from Chile to Salta, 120 miles of good dirt in the middle of nowhere, and was spectacular. Turned into fun fast road. Great day.

Worst day: Breaking down in Peru on top of a mountain, nothing around, revving the bike to keep it going, couldn't slow down. Had to stop at a sign holder for construction. Radiator burst – dropped coolant all over the ground. After that the bike wouldn't start again and he had to push it into the next town.

Other motorbike travel: This is his first trip

Advice: Just do it, but make sure you have the right bike. You want to be excited to be on your bike every day. (His bike has grown on him)

Why: Always wanted to do it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: Joshua Lester

Josh with his bike Chewy in Salta

When I first met the Alaskans, Josh and Jordon, in Cusco, I immediately catagorised them as “loud Americans”. It didn't help that they both have military backgrounds and love guns. (I'm pretty pacifist and don't like war as a general rule.) I also couldn't remember their names, and called them both “Justin” for a long time. However they grew on me, and I ended up spending the most time travelling with this daring duo. They will be my friends forever more and I would do anything for either of them.

Jordon, Josh and I, under attack by Arun in the background

Josh is a helicopter pilot who flies rescue missions in Alaska. He got divorced last year and talks a lot about the perils of marriage. He's got green feet tattooed on his bum because that's what rescuers do when they make their first save. He's sweet and resourceful, but he has a temper and you wouldn't want to be a Bolivian gas station attendant refusing to serve him.

My favourite item that Josh has with him? His white furry hat that makes Peruvian dogs attack him.

Josh in the hat

Hometown: Ancorage, Alaska
Bike: 1997 Kawasaki KLR650
Bike's Name: Chewy (Chewbacca from Star Wars) because she's kinda ugly but pretty useful
Date left: August 24th, 2013
From/To: Ancorage, Alaska to Ushuaia, Argentina
Planning to sell bike in Puento Arenas, Chile

Occupation: Helicopter Pilot, Alaska Air National Guard (US Air Force)
Deployed to Quatar 2005 & 2007, Iraq 2009

Best day: Between Cartagena and Medellin – great road, being back in the mountains after being really hot on the coast. Big mountains, twisty roads.

Worst day: Los Angeles – had to get to a specific shop for Jordon, rode for 4 hours across LA. The worst city on earth. Really hot, lots of traffic. Bad drivers. Generally worst riding is in cities in traffic.

Other motorbike trips: 2006 – CBR600 from New Jersey to Key West, Florida then to Anchorage

Advice: Don't do it on a KLR650 – buy a real motorcycle. Unless you really like riding offroad, then do it on a DR650. Just do it – don't plan much.
Why he's doing the trip: Because he got divorced

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: Mark Oetzmann

Mark, freshly shaved

If I met Mark in Cusco, it was only in passing. He showed up in Oruro, Bolivia and immediately fit in to the gang, but also I always knew he was going to do his own thing. Very independent, and the most deep conversationalist of the group.

My favourite moment with Mark was in Salta, after he shaved his head and beard. I didn't recognise him at all. I heard Jordon talking to him about motorcycles and introduced myself and asked if he was also riding a bike. The look of disbelief on his face was priceless. Jordon laughed until he cried (not really, he doesn't cry), and I was pretty embarrassed.

Would YOU think this is the same guy? (Pic "borrowed" from facebook)

Hometown: New Meadows, Idaho (Originally from Iowa)
Bike: 2003 Kawasaki KLR650
Bike's Name: No name

Date left: November, 2012 to Febraury 2013 to Costa Rica
November 2013 to now – Costa Rica to Salta, Argentina
From/To: St George, Utah to Alajuela, Costa Rica to Ushuaia, Argentina
Planning to sell bike in Puento Arenas

Best day: They're all pretty good. Any time on sweet mountain curvy roads, or when you meet good people.

Worst day: Being hungover a couple days ago... Not really had any really bad days. Even when rim was broken in the middle of nowhere, you know it will work out. Maybe when you're riding in the rain and cold. You feel over it for a bit.

Some people don't see the distinction between travelling and a holiday. Travelling is about appreciating the good and the bad, and seeing where bad days lead you. For example there was a day on a previous trip when his tire blew, he crashed, later his clutch cable broke, but some guy made him a new one, and he had a nice time with the guy's family.

Other motorbike trips: Five years ago rode from the US to Panama City and back. Same bike. With a friend John. Work a lot in the summer so no time for long trips.

Advice: Just go. Stop thinking about it. Just do it.
Everyone talks about what the best bike to do it on is, but it has been done on everything from scooters to Harleys. Ride what you've got.

Why he'd doing this trip: Previous trip to Panama – because they couldn't go to Colombia, made him want to do it. His friend had to work so couldn't go with him so he did it solo.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: Jordon Matukonis

Jordon racking them up

The other half of the Alaskan KLR riding duo, Jordon most replaced Phil as my brother. He teased me mercilessly, but I always knew he had my back. I trust him completely.

I think Jordon will probably end up as a politician one day. He loves talking about serious stuff, and he loves being American. Intelligent and loyal, this man could make himself successful in any situation.

Selfie of Jordon I found on my phone

My favourite thing to call Jordon? A “Northern Canadian”. He loves it. He even refused to wear a Canadian flag pin, even though everyone else had one.

Hometown: Anchorage, Alaska
Bike: 2006 Kawasaki KLR650
Bike's Name: Frank because Josh named it (Josh tells me it's from Danny Devito's character in “It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia”)

Date left: 24 August 2013
From/To: Anchorage, Alaska to Ushuaia, Argentina
Planning to sell bike in Puento Arenas
Was deployed in 2005 & 2008 to Iraq

Best day: San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua – Went fishing and caught a mahi mahi – ate raw chunks of fish on the boat.

Worst day: When crossing the border from Nicaragua to Costa Rica. Felt really ill, dry heaving into helmet, looked down at arm and saw red streaks from his wrist to shoulder. It was a blood infection from a tiny cut on his wrist and he was really sick.

Also in Potosi, Bolivia when Frank broke and they had to push it a long way and then put it on a bus. There was also the day when he ran over two Peruvian kids (teenagers) on a small bike, who pulled in front of him without looking. (Both “kids” were fine, and actually paid Jordon for the damage to his bike, which is pretty surprising for Peru.)

Other motorbike trips: San Diego to San Francisco

Advice: Pack less. The people are really nice in every country that I've been to.

Why this trip?: Because Josh got divorced. In 2009 talked about it and everything came together. I was bored and Josh got divorced so the time was right.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: Alan O'Brien

Alan after a long ride

My Australian Dad, an adventurer with a heart of gold. Alan is a true blue Aussie man, through and through. He made me laugh every day. He tells some pretty off colour jokes, and has the best stories. I've threatened to move in with him and his good lady Caroline, and I still may actually do that. Only Alan would go out and buy a wig, just so he could sing a Rod Stewart song at Karaoke night in the hostel.

The only motorcycling 64 year old who I've ever met who can more than hold his own with the 20 year olds.

Alan the Karaoke King

My favourite story about Alan? He punched an annoying English kid in the face on the bus home from Matchu Picchu.

These three were inseparable!

Hometown: Gold Coast, Australia
Bike: 2004 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
Name: Blue (Azul in Spanish) because it's blue!
Date left: 22 September 2013
From/To: Roseville, California to somewhere in Southern Argentina (he doesn't fancy the wind and gravel on the way to Ushuaia, so he's not going.)
Going to sell the bike somewhere before flying home.

Best day: Riding through Colombia and Ecuador has been the best riding. The day I got my bike back after it was stolen in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. I didn't think it was lost forever, the thief wasn't professional enough. I had contacted newspapers and radio and offered a $500 reward. It was great to get the bike back!

Worst day: In Peru when I couldn't breath at night. I would wake up gasping for air. It was okay in the day but suffocating at night. I suppose it was altitude sickness.

Other motorbike trips: Around Australia (25,000km) in early 2000s. To Darwin and Perth.

Advice: Just do it. Don't hesitate. Make sure you choose the right motorcycle.

Why this trip?: Because I'm an adventurer. I've always been travelling. When I was 22 I went up through Africa in a beach buggy. Spent four months in an open longtail canoe I built myself going up the Aussie coast. I've also sailed yachts for many years.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: Arun Nangla

Arun in Salta

Arun is the reason I met all the rest of the gang. He walked in to the chicken restaurant and invited Phil and I back to the hostel, and the rest is history.

A world traveller, and the most experienced motorcycle traveller of us all, Arun still captured my heart because he also doesn't like riding offroad. (Although he rode the Death Road and I didn't, so he's braver than I am.) Arun has lived in India, London and Italy (amongst other places I'm sure) and his way of communicating with everyone despite not speaking any Spanish showed me that language simply is not a barrier.

Arun playing his cool clarinet

My favourite item that Arun travels with? A bamboo clarinet. (He plays it beautifully.)

Hometown: Hoshiarpur, Punjab, India
Bike: 2005 BMW R1150 GS Adventure
Bike's Name: Nandi – The name of the bull of Lord Shiva
Date left: 31 August 2013
From/To: Arctic Circle, Alaska to Ushuaia, Argentina
Planning to ship bike to Madrid or Cape Town

Best day: The day I got my tattoo in Cusco. It was my first tattoo and it is related to travel

Worst day: In Nicaragua when I saw that one of the pages in my passport had been torn almost in two by a border official.

Other motorbike trips:
London to Bejing, to Tibet and then India 2007 on a KTM 990
London to Isreal on a Triumph Tiger in 2011.
Lahore Pakistan to Tibet on a Royal Enfield 500cc in 2004

Advice: Just start your trip – you can learn everything on the road. It's not difficult.

Why this trip?: Wants to be the first Indian to do the trip from Alaska to Patagonia. Indians like making money, not spending it, he's spending it!

Special note: Arun is filming his trip to make a documentary.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Name: Andre van Leeuwen

Andre swatting flies in Salta

I also met Andre in Cusco, but barely even spoke to him there. Our first real conversation was in the rain, in a shelter on the side of the road in Argentina. Andre manages to still be “working” while away, with an amazing mix of paid time off and overtime. I love Andre's Dutch sense of humour, and his practical approach to everything.

Andre messing around with the Alaskans

My favourite Andre moment? When we were in a shop, and Josh picked up a key that the pretty shop assistant had dropped. Andre chided him, saying “Why'd you do that? I wanted to watch her pick it up!” The girl turned to him and said “I understand you, you know.” in perfect English. Andre didn't miss a beat and said “Even so, I still wanted to watch you pick it up.”

Hometown: Maasland, Netherlands
Bike: 2008 BMW F800GS
Name: No name
Date left: 25 August 2013
From/To: Atigan Pass, Alaska to Ushuaia, Argentina
Planning to ship bike back to Netherlands

Best day: My birthday in Cusco. Had a big dinner at the hostel with a lot of great people.
Worst day: Have there been any? In Honduras when I was driving in the clouds and the rain and I couldn't see anything. It was dangerous at least.
Other motorbike trips: 3 weeks in Vietnam, 4 weeks in Patagonia, 4 Weeks in New Zealand, 4 weeks in Japan
Advice: Just do it.
Why this trip?: I've been thinking about it for a long time and it sounded fun.
Blog: www.panamerica2013.blogspot.nl
----------------------------------------------------------------

There you have it, my temporary family of motorcyclists who I travelled with for a time. You'll never met a nicer group of guys. I feel incredibly privileged to call them all friends and to have spent the time I did with them.

As I write this (January 27, 2014), I am in Southern Chile, still making my way slowly down to Ushuaia.

Josh, Jordon and Ryan arrived in Ushuaia yesterday, and Mark is very close if he's not there already. Arun was ahead of the Alaskans and Andre is somewhere between me and Ushuaia. Alan left us in Mendoza and headed for some beach time on the Argentinian coast, with no desire to go all the way South.

2006 KLR650 (Canada)
Old 02-06-2014, 11:22 AM   #173
Blader54
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,087
Nice update! Cool to know more about your traveling companions, including their experiences with their bikes, good and bad. They may never do reports of their own, so your interviews really give us a more "rounded" understanding of your trip. Best to Phil. Hope the bones have begun to knit. I suppose the metal and fasteners are supposed to hold it all together, and I've never had those thanks to smaller breaks, but always found that immobilizing the bone a good idea. Still, he's a man used to a very active life, so I'm sure he wants to get back in the game ASAP. Takes time, though.
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:04 PM   #174
treefort13
Rerutnevda ylranG

Oddometer: 1,237
Fantastic ride report! Looking forward to reading the updates.
"The things that happen to people...the tragedies, life-altering events that shut us down, render us dysfunctional, turn successful lives into train wrecks. The folks who were always a little "odd" and who have slid way, way beyond "odd" as they've aged."
-Sabre-
treefort13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:20 AM   #175
B50Paul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Great write up
Love the fluid community on the road . Keep looking after your little brother . Paul
B50Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:41 PM   #176
UltiJayne OP
Sister on a KLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by B50Paul View Post
Great write up
Love the fluid community on the road . Keep looking after your little brother . Paul
Thanks! I thought you guys would like to know about other motorcyclists doing this trip - especially as most of those guys are too lazy or drunk, or both, to ever write a ride report of their own.

No sure I´m doing a great job of looking after Phil. I´m nearly in Patagonia and he´s still in Peru! But he tells me he´ll be back on the road soon. I´m sure we´ll meet up eventually.

2006 KLR650 (Canada)
Old 02-11-2014, 08:04 PM   #177
OldTriumphRider
Livin the Dream

Oddometer: 128
most interesting adventure, you do a good job of covering everything that happens on the ride , keep up the good work, you have a large following !
amazing what you guys are doing , what an experience.
OldTriumphRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 03:06 PM   #178
Wump
aka Mister Wisker

Oddometer: 84
Frustration in Peru: An Update from Phil

I fell off my bike. We got some owies.

From getting an xray "just in case" to having surgery 4 hours later. Five days in the hospital. But I have been through this before.
In 2010 I broke my other collar-bone playing ultimate. That cost me over a year off work. After 7 months, and several misdiagnosis and complications, I had surgery for my right collar-bone. That left me with a plate and 11 screws holding all the pieces together. That plate is still there. The memory of all the frustration remains as well. Sadly, while highly offset by incredible kindness and hospitality of strangers, the frustration would be repeated this break too.

After an extra couple days in hospital warding off concern of infection, I finally was discharged from the Victor Paredes Clinic. This allowed me out just in time for Jayne and I to accompany Kelly to the airport. After the continued push to get to Macchu Picchu before having to fly home, in the end Kelly didn't even make it. There was an option to take a bus, but with road rash dressings to change, depressive memories of the crash lingering and a generally sombre mood; the mantra of "nuts to Machu Picchu" was repeated often by all of us (something along those lines anyways).
Not a great ending to a fantastic three months with Kelly as guest star on the Ultimateride. She is heavily missed.

In Lamay we stayed camping on the porch for 5 days. Each day we would wake to a glorious setting. It's not called the sacred Valley for nothing. During our stay, I was able to tear down Jugs to find out all her problems. We were heartily fed and Sandra, also a nurse, helped pull my stitches and provided me with some bandages for my wounds. This all worked wonders for a man in recovery. The bike in recovery, however, was about to drop a bomb: Jugs had bent her frame.

The smashed dials I was able to repair with pop bottles, though the tachometer is dead with its chip board shattered. The handlebars were bent, and being aluminum would need replacing. My airbox was smashed by the right pannier, and would need some creative repairs to seal it back up. The pannier boxes and rack would also need some welding love. These things I could do all with just an arm and a half, but the frame...

Carbonated sugary beverages are good for more than just diabetes.

Baby got curves in all the wrong places

dang that ding!

The frame needed more skills and strength than I possess. In Canada or the States, the labour costs would likely be prohibitive. But in Peru, and much of Latin america, labour is cheap. They can, and do, fix everything. Still, this bent frame discovery had me a bit bummed.

Henry came all the way out to Lamay by bus for a "house call" inspection of Jugs. Fixable for 300 Soles (120$)

Henry the mechanic, a friend of a friend, came out the next day to inspect jugs. A solid 2.5 hour round trip unpaid. Not often you get mechanic house calls! Henry said he could fix the frame for around 300 soles, (120$). I just had to get the bike to his shop in Cusco. This proved to be a pain, since Sandy's truck was in use for their NGO. After a frustrating no-show of one truck, and searching town to town in the rain, I found a pickup to take Jugs to Cusco for 70 soles (about 30$).

Back to Cusco in the back of yet another truck.

Stripped down for de-bending

I took advantage of the shop space and did a bit of maintenance while Jugs was in the shop.

All this time my shoulder has felt remarkably good. I have close to full range of motion, and little pain. If I felt any discomfort while doing anything, I would just stop. I felt confident my shoulder would be ready before Jugs would. The doctor had told me I might be able to ride within two-three weeks of discharge.

Sandra kindly picks out my stitches for me.

I awaited the bike to be ready settled in at Tania and Philippes. When the day came for a test ride, my bike worked great, but my shoulder... my shoulder hurt. Plain and simple. It had been feeling so good the whole time leading up, but on the two-hour test ride to the valley and back: it hurt. Nuts.
I went for an xray to see if there was a reason for this new-found discomfort. There was. Not only was my clavicle not healing, the pins had shifted, no longer holding the pieces as closely together.

Not better. In fact: getting worse.

Incredibly frustrated, I self-imposed my arm in a sling. Something I should have had for a while after the hospital really... And something they charged my insurance for, but never provided me with. Regardless, my healing timeframe was now back at square one.

After a couple of days in a homemade sling made of pants, I traded up thanks to Huadan next door!

I discussed with Jayne that she should go on without me. My healing could complicate further, and she could end up waiting a lot of time for nothing. After christmas and meeting all the boys, the time was right and with the right people.

Slitting up was hard. The symbolism not lost while cutting these stickers.

One of the shifted pins was bothersome. I went in to have the doctor do something about it, and he torqued on it through my skin with his thumb. Hard. This moved the pin a bit, and nearly moved me to the floor from the pain. But in the end it didn't help, and still left me with a skin tent on my shoulder.

Pin making an effort to escape

The pin shifted, and eventually jabbed its way out. Months later I still live with a holy shoulder.

The pin was destined to come out I would see. The jagged, rough tip had been gouging at my skin from the inside for a month and a half. What kind of surgeon leaves that kind of saw-tip on a pin?!!

This kind of surgeon, apparently.

Once Jayne left in late December, I started to work at a hostel to pass the time. I had partied at Loki hostel with Jordan and Josh over christmas, and figured it would be a fun way to pass the time. Working the bar with one arm in a sling, it was a great time indeed.

The bar at Loki. Once you enter, you never leave.

I worked at Loki Cusco for about two weeks, then took a trip to Salta for the Dakar. I didn't get to see the race like I wanted to at Dakar, so will have to make another trip another year.

I stayed in Salta for about two weeks, working in the Loki located there. I wanted a couple of weeks at a lower elevation to get some more oxygen to my bones. The strategy worked, my follow-up x-ray in Salta showing some signs of healing. The doctor also recommended removing the pins. That would require insurance company approval, but for now, after over a month in restraint I could escape from my sling.

I would have stayed in Salta longer, but I had to return to Peru to deal with my expiring temporary import permit for Jugs. There is a process to have your permit "suspended" (like being put on pause) when you leave the country, to resume on your return, but my attempt at getting that suspension was thwarted by corrupt police. They wanted 90 soles for a document that should cost 7, and I wouldn't pay. Tania's uncle even works at the police station, and even that didn't save me from the pigs. Corruption with public officials in Peru is deep, and no dealings with the police go well here.

My attempts at getting an extension through customs was fruitless. It turns out there is simply NO way to extend a temporary import permit in Peru. The penalty for overstaying: you lose your bike.
Mere days out of the sling I was left with no choice, so I rode Jugs to the Bolivian border. An 1100km round trip.

It was fantastic to ride again. Jugs rode well, and I met up with another rider Ian for the second day of the trip.

Ian and his KLR. He also crashed, but wrote off his v-strom. His Peruvian KLR would pose some problems as he had to "export" it at the border.

On the journey, Jugs hit 100 000km on the odometer.

Born again KLR: 100000km ticks over to 000000

It was pretty special. There was a time I thought I would never get to see that moment. I was back on the road again. Jugs was running. My arm was working. Life was back as it should be.

The border was quick. I bought the aduana agent "lunch" to avoid physically having to leave the country for a day, as the rules state. I don't mind paying bribes when I'm the one breaking the rules.
Back in Cusco, I again worked at Loki while doing rehab exercises for my shoulder. The hostel work kept me sane as I waited for time to pass, and the discounts and free meals helped to keep my budget afloat too. After a week or so, after my last shift, I lost it one night when a new staff member stole a girls phone. I was intoxicated, and after both Jayne's phone and mine were stolen (along with countless others from guests at the hostel), I have lost all tolerance for thieves. Hitting the guy in the face wasn't my place, and I shouldn't have done it, but he certainly was deserving. My general frustrations with life were coming to a front.
Things were smoothed over before I left a few days later, but I didn't really leave Cusco on a high note. This whole trip Jayne and I have generally left places when we still want to stay, "leaving while on top". My departure from Cusco was certainly leaving on the bottom.

I am now in La Paz, Bolivia, and ecstatic to be back on the road again. My frustration has waned. You can't have the sweet without the sour.
Uploading photos is a constant struggle with slow internet connections and no resizing software. I am computer-less and using internet cafes. I'll post some stories of the past couple months as I am able to. There are some fun ones. For now, I've just received approval from my insurance company to have my bothersome pins removed. So that will be the next step. Where I do that I'm not sure yet, but I need to get moving south.

Winter is coming.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:44 PM   #179
Wump
aka Mister Wisker

Oddometer: 84
"Señor Stabby", my irritating clavicle pin, removed in Bolivia

Just a quick update before I hit the road south. Had one of my two pins removed today, the one that had been causing me much discomfort. And occasional mild blood loss.

Here's the video of the removal. So quick I could have done it myself with my leatherman.
(Note: This might be gross. After years of working as a nurse, I can't tell anymore)

Old 02-17-2014, 01:53 PM   #180
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,058
After years of hanging out in OR's, ER's and such as a pharma. rep, I'd say that pin removal could could have been done in the local bar and would have been more entertaining. I expect you'll be more comfortable now.