Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2013, 01:13 PM   #16
pizzaboy
retiring tomorrow

Oddometer: 1,042
Don't know how much your using but may need to add some Stabil or some other product to help keep it fresh if its sitting around for an extended period.

'09 BMW R1200GSA
'09 KTM 950SER Erz
'14 KTM 1190 Adventure R
pizzaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:24 PM   #17
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
Take the info from the web site with a lot of salt. For my state and general area it is both wrong and many years out of date.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:37 PM   #18
RomaDakota
Illuminatus!

Oddometer: 1,402
It never sits long - a few weeks at most.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaboy View Post
Don't know how much your using but may need to add some Stabil or some other product to help keep it fresh if its sitting around for an extended period.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:03 PM   #19
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 33,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrapper View Post
Take the info from the web site with a lot of salt. For my state and general area it is both wrong and many years out of date.
There are so few stations listed in CA, it is really unlikely that a petroleum company is going to reserve such a small quantity of fuel for them. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the stations listed actually had ethanol in the fuel.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:25 PM   #20
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
In Oregon most are correct. The only problem that I have seen is that some of the stations listed are for fuel card holders only (private or commercial fleet fueling stations). There should be a notation whether the fuel station is public or private.

I agree - you can not totally rely on this, but it can come in handy - referring to pure-gas.org.
WindSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #21
dirty_t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
There are so few stations listed in CA, it is really unlikely that a petroleum company is going to reserve such a small quantity of fuel for them. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the stations listed actually had ethanol in the fuel.
If you're in NorCal you can score the good stuff at Sonoma Raceway at Sears Point. Other tracks may sell it, too. Spendy tho.
dirty_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:40 PM   #22
yellow 1150GS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
it does make a difference!!

I have kept records of my fuel purchases since I bought my GS 1150 Sport in 2003. I mark on my spreadsheet as to whether or not the fuel contained ethanol. Here in Tennessee we have 410 stations at last count on pure-gas.org. and very rarely do I find one listed in error either way. What I have found is that I average 44.5 mpg to 46.5 mpg on non-ethanol fuel and 39.5 to 42.5 mpg on fuel with ethanol. The few times I have had no choice but purchase ethanol-laced fuel I have noticed a degradation in performance almost immediately. I will run my tank nearly out before refilling with non-ethanol and usually notice a difference within a few miles. To make sure I am not imagining things I never tell my wife/passenger either way. She has ridden 135k miles with me on the bike and notices right away if it runs different.
We have a major fuel distribution terminal here in Chattanooga and I have talked with some of the drivers distributing fuel. The ethanol is added to the tank at delivery and in my opinion doesn't get a chance to mix well promising you that you may get "approximately up to 10% ethanol" and possibly more. I have on several occasions gotten fuel that obviously was a lot higher than 10% as the bike ran so badly I nearly did not make it home. On both of those occasions I have drained and flushed the tank and added non-ethanol fuel. Problem solved.
Interesting fact is that several stations in town (Kanku is one) actually get their fuel from a terminal in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. Owner of the one station I talked to told me that the inconsistent quality of the fuel is why he purchases it from out of state. Their station has 87, 89, 91, 92 and 93 octane available in non-ethanol. One pump is available with 10% ethanol.
I usually get a printout from pure-gas.org when I travel so to have a list of stations from where to purchase fuel.
yellow 1150GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:51 PM   #23
N-m
Captain 2 Sexy

Oddometer: 446
I am from the South. I like the popping when winding down.

Increased fuel mileage does peak my curiosity, however. I will have to check that out. Thanks for the link and TN info.
N-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:27 AM   #24
Lime
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
In Missouri Premium gas is alcohol free.
Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:08 AM   #25
roadtrip22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
just had a pure gas pump show up near me. Bike is loving it and I'm getting 9 more miles per gallon now. getting 51mpg now.
roadtrip22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:40 PM   #26
jimbeauxk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by N-m View Post
Increased fuel mileage does peak my curiosity, however. I will have to check that out. Thanks for the link and TN info.
You'll want to check my facts, but ethanol will increase octane levels, although it has a lower energy density, I think about 3%, which transfers to a 3% +/- drop in mgp. Octane and power are not the same. Octane prevents pre-ignition/combustion (this is not the same as a popping deceleration, rather it's the so-called engine knocking). Increasing octane doesn't create power, but using an octane level lower than the bike requires will reduce power, so it's not a two-way street. I believe that's how it works.
jimbeauxk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:48 PM   #27
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 33,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty_t View Post
If you're in NorCal you can score the good stuff at Sonoma Raceway at Sears Point. Other tracks may sell it, too. Spendy tho.
Why would I bother to drive to Sears Point to buy fuel that will be at least $1.00 more per gallon unless I am racing something that requires higher octane? None of my vehicles would run any differently. They're designed for pump gas.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:51 PM   #28
guitarin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
I've been buying pure gas and adding Hi Fructose Corn Syrup myself. The bike runs Sweeet!
guitarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:11 PM   #29
Willie B OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
Why would I bother to drive to Sears Point to buy fuel that will be at least $1.00 more per gallon unless I am racing something that requires higher octane? None of my vehicles would run any differently. They're designed for pump gas.
Either gasoline is already super high in your neighborhood or someone is selling race fuel at a bargain. The last drum I bought was + $8 a gallon when purchasing 50 gallons at a whack. That was last summer as well. I seriously doubt it's come down in price. It sure does smell good, shame someone doesn't make a race fuel cologne, High Karate and Old Spice would be in a world of hurt.
Willie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #30
dirty_t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbeauxk View Post
You'll want to check my facts, but ethanol will increase octane levels, although it has a lower energy density, I think about 3%, which transfers to a 3% +/- drop in mgp. Octane and power are not the same. Octane prevents pre-ignition/combustion (this is not the same as a popping deceleration, rather it's the so-called engine knocking). Increasing octane doesn't create power, but using an octane level lower than the bike requires will reduce power, so it's not a two-way street. I believe that's how it works.

This.

Race fuels are oxygenated, which is one way to get more energy density than pump gas.

Ethanol sucks because it has lower energy density, as stated above, which is why your milage suffers with the E10 crap compared to non-ethanol gas.
dirty_t is offline   Reply With Quote