User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #31
yellow 1150GS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
go look at Wikipedia

Check out the Wikipedia website about ethanol. Looking at that really makes you wonder why in the world that stuff is even being used as a fuel. Words and phrases like "solvent", hygroscopic", "absorbs water", "damaging to pipelines", "less energy", "small engine damage", don't sound like the "wonderfuel" label that ethanol supporters like to use to define their product.
Look how Brazil has approached the ethanol use there. It is made from sugar cane which provides more ethanol easier than corn. They also have a large percentage of vehicles that were designed from the very beginning to run on the 95%ethanol/5%water that is used for fuel.
Here in America we are making so many mistakes on the ethanol situation that i don't even know where to start. It has become such a political issue that i don't think it will ever go away. I know it is used in high performance vehicles like Indy cars, and other racers, and I think that is where it needs to stay. Not in my vehicles.
yellow 1150GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:00 PM   #32
roadtrip22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
roadtrip22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:20 PM   #33
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 33,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty_t View Post

This.

Race fuels are oxygenated, which is one way to get more energy density than pump gas.

Ethanol sucks because it has lower energy density, as stated above, which is why your milage suffers with the E10 crap compared to non-ethanol gas.
Oxygenated fuel has lower energy density because of the oxygen molecules displacing the hydrocarbons. The advantage is it brings more oxygen into the engine than it would be able to through the usual path. It's like a small form of forced induction. This is why racers use it. It requires retuning the engine to increase the fuel flow.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #34
N-m
Captain 2 Sexy

Oddometer: 446
I used the list to locate the only 93 octane non ethanol pump in this county. I can't tell much difference in how the bike runs. It just runs so great!
N-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:21 PM   #35
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
To put the list in your compatible Garmin gps you can use the POI Loader.

Using the Zumo 665 I can look at the closest proximity locations by going:
  • Main Menu page
  • Where to?
  • Extras
  • Custom POIs

As for compatibility; Garmin makes this statement near the bottom of the page on the POI Loader web page.

Quote:
*Except for our Basic Handhelds and older Rino® two way radio GPS units, all of our current Outdoor and Automotive products are compatible with custom POIs. Tour Guide POIs are only compatible with our MP3 capable nüvi® and zumo® units. Please check your particular Garmin model’s spec sheet for custom POI compatibility.
WindSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #36
Willie B OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
I found myself out yesterday and needing to buy fuel from a gas station. After adding ethanol fuel to the tank the bike initially stuttered like it used to do when I over filled the tank when the charcoal canister was on the bike, then I immediately noticed that the bike didn't run as strong as it did with the ethanol free gasoline. It seems the bike ran a lot stronger through the midrange without ethanol fuel. I'm definitely hooked.
Willie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:22 AM   #37
pizzaboy
retiring tomorrow

Oddometer: 1,042
It appears from the list, at least in Texas, the stations offering pure gas are located in more rural areas. From the DFW area I've got to go about 60 miles to find a station. Anyone have a clue why this is ? Seems like there is opportunity there...
Is it prohibited in areas ? Oil companies got this locked up ? More government regs ? dunno

'09 BMW R1200GSA
'09 KTM 950SER Erz
'14 KTM 1190 Adventure R
pizzaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:35 AM   #38
yellow 1150GS
Gnarly Adventurer

consumer request drives the availability

Here in Tennessee, more stations are carrying ethanol-free gas due to consumer demand. One station in Chattanooga last November was pressured by the oil company to drop their ethanol-free status and carry only ethanol gas. According to the station owner, his business dropped off so dramatically that several months later he went back to ethanol-free in 87, 89, 91, 92 and 93 at all the pumps but 2 out of 16.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:33 PM   #39
pizzaboy
retiring tomorrow

Oddometer: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow 1150GS View Post
Here in Tennessee, more stations are carrying ethanol-free gas due to consumer demand. One station in Chattanooga last November was pressured by the oil company to drop their ethanol-free status and carry only ethanol gas. According to the station owner, his business dropped off so dramatically that several months later he went back to ethanol-free in 87, 89, 91, 92 and 93 at all the pumps but 2 out of 16.

How does the price compare to the ethanol gas ?

'09 BMW R1200GSA
'09 KTM 950SER Erz
'14 KTM 1190 Adventure R
pizzaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:58 PM   #40
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,218
It's about 40 cents a gallon higher in ga.

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #41
yellow 1150GS
Gnarly Adventurer

In Tennessee usually 25 cents a gallon. For the difference in mileage and the way the bike runs, to me it is well worth it.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:11 PM   #42
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaboy View Post
How does the price compare to the ethanol gas ?
Here in Idaho, Ethanol and Non-ethanol fuel (at different stations) are the same price.

I'm lucky to have an ethanol-free gas station on my way to work so I fill up there.

It is my hope that someday consumers will understand the "evils of ethanol" in fuel, and not support gas stations with ethanol in the fuels.

And let's hope the pending regulation of E85 based fuels does not pass.

Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:12 PM   #43
RomaDakota
Illuminatus!

Oddometer: 1,402
Since the ethanol mixed fuel has less energy density than pure gas, a percentage of the cost is the best comparison.
Roughly, I see about a 10% difference in fuel economy. Therefore if I consider only the fuel cost in my decision (I do not btw), I can roughly multiply the "cheaper" ethanol fuel price by 1.1 to see if the pure gas is really more expensive.
i.e. $4/gal 10% ethanol will give me the same cost/mile as $4.40 pure gas.

edit - fitting that my 1k post includes fuzzy math
Old 06-10-2013, 02:36 PM   #44
yellow 1150GS
Gnarly Adventurer

Check Reuters news/and you thought E-10 was bad!!!

There is a news article in Reuters news today about the E-15 situation and the lawsuit challenging the EPA by the American Fuel and Petrochemical Manufacturers who represent all the big oil companies. It is being taken to the
Supreme Court with the oil companies saying the EPA has overstepped their authority by mandating E-15 without the necessary testing. All auto manufacturers except Porsche have stated that they will not warranty their product if forced to use E-15. Oil companies are withholding necessary materials from distributors in Kansas to sell E-15. This is where it has started to be sold.
Oil companies have stated that they will seek legislation in Congress if necessary to do away with this new problem.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #45
RomaDakota
Illuminatus!

Oddometer: 1,402
Something needs to be done. I guess the oil and corn lobbyists will fight it out.
Taking a highly subsidized commodity and adding to fuel should make no sense to most of us (end users and taxpayers).
This may be heading downstairs...