Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2013, 01:49 PM   #46
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lime View Post
In Missouri Premium gas is alcohol free.
Not true.
Premium can be alcohol free, most contains alcohol. There are stations that sell no alcohol premium. They usually only have one hose per pump so you almost always get 1/2 gal of bad stuff.

http://fueltestkit.com/order.html

Buy one of these and see what you get.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #47
pizzaboy
retiring tomorrow

Oddometer: 864
Just hit one of the places on the list, Lone Camp in Palo Pinto Co. Tx. We are talking out in the stix here folks.
Sign on the pump, "No ethanol free fuel" ... added a comment on the pure-gas.org site for the station.

Make sure you read any comments (details button) on pure-gas site, about the a station or call, before heading out to fill up.

'09 BMW R1200GSA
'09 KTM 950SER Erz
'14 KTM 1190 Adventure R
pizzaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:19 PM   #48
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow 1150GS View Post
...with the oil companies saying the EPA has overstepped their authority by mandating E-15 without the necessary testing.
What a bunch of THERE IS NO MANDATE FOR E15. One industry group (Growth Energy -- growthenergy.org) asked the EPA for a waiver so they could push E15. Now another industry group is pushing back, saying the EPA shouldn't have allowed the waiver.

This is two industry groups fighting each other with the EPA in the middle. That is not a mandate... that is industry knowing how to push your buttons.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:37 AM   #49
cjack
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 851
If we all drank more beer, this ethanol thing would be solved!
RA & MOA #224
cjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:56 AM   #50
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindSailor View Post
To put the list in your compatible Garmin gps you can use the POI Loader.

Using the Zumo 665 I can look at the closest proximity locations by going:
  • Main Menu page
  • Where to?
  • Extras
  • Custom POIs

As for compatibility; Garmin makes this statement near the bottom of the page on the POI Loader web page.
Thanks man, I just learned something!

Worked perfect and now they are in my Zumo. Only problem is the closest one is about 40 miles away.
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:26 PM   #51
TuefelHunden
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 587
On Saturday I rolled into a Shell (might have been Gulf) station in Burnsville, NC. It had special pumps with a blue hose. They were marked "conventional" gas and had 89 octane, the equivalent to mid-grade. (that's ron + mon divided by 2). Price? Same as ethanol mid grade. Could we be seeing a trend? That was a brand spankin' new station from a large brand. Most of the stations selling alky free around here are definitely not main line gas stations.

Oh yeah, I got about 250 miles out of that tank rather than my usual 210.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #52
pizzaboy
retiring tomorrow

Oddometer: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuefelHunden View Post
Could we be seeing a trend? That was a brand spankin' new station from a large brand.
that is good news. hopefully they out sell the ethanol pumps.

Make sure to add the station to the pure-gas.org website

'09 BMW R1200GSA
'09 KTM 950SER Erz
'14 KTM 1190 Adventure R

pizzaboy screwed with this post 06-24-2013 at 02:04 PM
pizzaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:06 PM   #53
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuefelHunden View Post
On Saturday I rolled into a Shell (might have been Gulf) station in Burnsville, NC. It had special pumps with a blue hose. They were marked "conventional" gas and had 89 octane, the equivalent to mid-grade. (that's ron + mon divided by 2). Price? Same as ethanol mid grade. Could we be seeing a trend? That was a brand spankin' new station from a large brand. Most of the stations selling alky free around here are definitely not main line gas stations.

Oh yeah, I got about 250 miles out of that tank rather than my usual 210.
Interesting that it's mid-grade. Ethanol provides an Octane boost.
roger 04 rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:09 PM   #54
TuefelHunden
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger 04 rt View Post
Interesting that it's mid-grade. Ethanol provides an Octane boost.
So does tetra-ethyl lead, mtbe, etc, etc. The thing about those is they don't reduce the amount of energy in a gallon of gas like ethanol. Ethanol does increase octane which is saying the gas burns slower and does not detonate. It also produces a significantly less amount of energy than pure gas. You can now find regular and premium "conventional" gas all over this area, but you did have to pay extra for it. Mid grade was rare. That is another factor that makes this incident so unique, a major gas company, mid-grade, and no cost penalty. Did ya know the gasoline companies don't like ethanol. Less profit than conventional.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:26 PM   #55
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Pure gas has a little over 3% more energy per gallon than E10, whereas gasoline has about 2% more energy per gallon than gas with 10% MTBE.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:34 PM   #56
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger 04 rt View Post
Pure gas has a little over 3% more energy per gallon than E10, whereas gasoline has about 2% more energy per gallon than gas with 10% MTBE.
How is it that people claim 15 percent increases in fuel consumption when they use E10? If the additive had no energy value, it would only cause a 10 percent reduction.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:55 PM   #57
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
How is it that people claim 15 percent increases in fuel consumption when they use E10? If the additive had no energy value, it would only cause a 10 percent reduction.
Good question, no thoughts on why someone would experience 15% worse fuel consumption.

I'm not a particular fan of ethanol as an additive but the main issue for me is its effect on in-tank hose lifetime. 3% less energy density doesn't seem like a huge problem as that's about 1.3 mpg less gas mileage. The economics are mainly political issues.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:23 PM   #58
ratster
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
I have kept records of my fuel purchases since I bought my GS 1150 Sport in 2003. I mark on my spreadsheet as to whether or not the fuel contained ethanol. Here in Tennessee we have 410 stations at last count on pure-gas.org. and very rarely do I find one listed in error either way. What I have found is that I average 44.5 mpg to 46.5 mpg on non-ethanol fuel and 39.5 to 42.5 mpg on fuel with ethanol. The few times I have had no choice but purchase ethanol-laced fuel I have noticed a degradation in performance almost immediately. I will run my tank nearly out before refilling with non-ethanol and usually notice a difference within a few miles. To make sure I am not imagining things I never tell my wife/passenger either way. She has ridden 135k miles with me on the bike and notices right away if it runs different.
We have a major fuel distribution terminal here in Chattanooga and I have talked with some of the drivers distributing fuel. The ethanol is added to the tank at delivery and in my opinion doesn't get a chance to mix well promising you that you may get "approximately up to 10% ethanol" and possibly more. I have on several occasions gotten fuel that obviously was a lot higher than 10% as the bike ran so badly I nearly did not make it home. On both of those occasions I have drained and flushed the tank and added non-ethanol fuel. Problem solved.
Interesting fact is that several stations in town (Kanku is one) actually get their fuel from a terminal in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. Owner of the one station I talked to told me that the inconsistent quality of the fuel is why he purchases it from out of state. Their station has 87, 89, 91, 92 and 93 octane available in non-ethanol. One pump is available with 10% ethanol.
I usually get a printout from pure-gas.org when I travel so to have a list of stations from where to purchase fuel.
You either misunderstood the driver or you were talking to a total twit. Ethanol is blended as the trailer is being loaded. It may be loaded first and then the gas,or it is blended in as the gas is loaded,depends on which terminal you are loading at.
ratster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:33 PM   #59
ratster
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Here in Tennessee, more stations are carrying ethanol-free gas due to consumer demand. One station in Chattanooga last November was pressured by the oil company to drop their ethanol-free status and carry only ethanol gas. According to the station owner, his business dropped off so dramatically that several months later he went back to ethanol-free in 87, 89, 91, 92 and 93 at all the pumps but 2 out of 16.
We are a Exxon dist and cannot have conventional gas at any pump that is under the canopy,because its not a Exxon product. We are converting our kerosene tanks to accept conventional gas. Those pumps aren't under the canopy and they are staying busy
ratster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:50 PM   #60
iride4u
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdonna View Post
Interesting link. In Canada I just go to a Shell station located all over the country. No ethanol when you fill with premium.

I'm planning a cross US trip to the west coast this July. Is there a national chain of service stations, like Shell in Canada, that supply ethanol free gas so I don't have to hunt down one with a computer while going cross country? Thanks for any info!
In Haines Junction at the Shell station on the hill where you turn to go to Alaska, they sell Benzene and it will screw up your bike.
iride4u is offline   Reply With Quote