User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2013, 09:29 AM   #1
justinmlowe OP
Smokin' 'n 2-Strokin

Oddometer: 6
Nashville TN to Buffalo NY suggestions

Hello folks. My Wife and I are Fly-n-Riding a 1150GS from Nashville TN to Buffalo NY. I'm looking for good advice or resources that I can use to plan a route. We'll have 2 days and 1 night, so not a lot of time to meander but at the same time I'd like to spend some time off the highway. Know any scenic highways or interesting attractions worthy of a visit?

Thank you kindly.
justinmlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:13 AM   #2
Liberia
Fortunate

Oddometer: 561
Congratulations on the new ride.

That's a pretty good ride to make in two days. Google Maps says it's 11+ hours in a car using the Interstate highways. Mrs. Liberia and I picked up a KLR 650 in Boston and rode it back to Nashville (http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=liberia). The first long day on the interstates almost lead to mutiny by the Missus.

My experience says to add at least 25% more for being on a bike (more stops for gas plus my body just doesn't sit on a motorcycle seat for as long car seat (my wife, even less). Direct you are likely looking at 8 hours per day of riding time.

Riding the back roads really do make it much nicer but would likely make for 12+ hour days. Mr. Google says you go from 11 to 16 hours if you avoid Interstate Highways.

Good luck. Maybe take an additional day off from work and improve the experience greatly.

Join our 54 Tennessee State Parks Ride Collaborative! [My Ride Reports here.]
Liberia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:54 AM   #3
Bugchewer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Nashville TN to Buffalo NY

I rode that route about four years ago on my Harley FLHT (Buffalo to Clarksville). Like the prior post you won't have a lot of time to meander. It took me 12 hours to do the ride which was mostly on interstate except for country roads in NY and PA. Try to get over to Rt 219 in PA and follow up through NY to Buffalo. Lots of nice twisties on 219 and nice scenery. Good luck! You can head staight up 65 to 71 and follow up to either Canton or Akron and pick one of the roads that will get you to Rt 219 which will give you a breath of fresh air. I tried to do Rt 62 the whole way but it was taking too long. Our son was stationed at Ft Campbell and I wanted to get down to see him. The stretch between Cincinnati & Columbus is brutal...ugh flat & straight.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:28 AM   #4
1200gsceej
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,230
Take more time if you can

I know each of us has limits and obligations, but can't you squeeze in another day for the ride? With a little more time could you swing east and ride up/through/along the Appalachian foothills/mountains? US 58, 119, 219 Think about if/when you are likely to go through that way again.
-ceej
And remember: Beauty is in the behind of the holder.
1200gsceej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:44 AM   #5
Banshee
hi

Oddometer: 6,139
hi, I'm from near Buffalo (Attica) and routinely ride there from northern VA to visit my family. It takes 7 hours on highway/interstates without any screwing around. nashville to buffalo is quite a hike, you are nearly doubling the mileage I have to go...with a passenger.

with just one night layover you will have to do some highways/interstates. looks like bugchewer has a good option for you.

good luck, congrats on the new bike!
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #6
gspdbill
noobie allover again

Oddometer: 404
I would suggest going the first day slab and seeing how far you get / how comfortable you are and then make a judgement as to how far you can go the 2nd day. It would be a real bitch to only make 1/4 the trip the first day then have to tough out the remaining 3/4 on the 2nd day.
You really don't have a lot of spare time in your window.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:57 AM   #7
Bugchewer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Nashville TN to Buffalo NY

You could stop at Churchill Down is Louisville as well as most of the bourbon makers, the NFL Hall of fame is in Canton, OH just off the main road and is easily accessible. It sounds like you might have time for a couple quick stops. There are some nice wineries south of Buffalo off Route 20 between the NY/PA stateline and Buffalo. Of course you have Niagara Falls north of Buffalo on Route 190 through Grand Island and Letchworth State Park is a really nice place "the Grand Canyon of the East" with a dam, 3 water falls, a really neat old steel railroad bridge that spans the Genesee River & the falls below it. I never had time to stop while making the trip so I can only tell you about the areas in WNY for the most part. Have fun! Either way it will be on a bike and not in a car!