User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2013, 02:17 PM   #1
AKoffroader OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Dempster Hwy. question

Making plans for next year's D2D and thinking about riding up to Inuvik after the event.

Looking at the map it looks like it's about 450+ miles from Dawson City to Inuvik.

Is it something that is typically done in a day (road conditions etc.), or do most riders stop at Eagle Plains or somewhere and do it over two days?

Also how far is it between gas stops?

Thank you,

Greg
2012 Yamaha XT1200Z
1978 Yamaha TT500
AKoffroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #2
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,059
I did it after D2D this year. It was a steller lucky year, no rain. Dry you can ride to Inuvik in a day, spend the night and get back to Dawson the next day. Its a long ride. I rode to Ft McPherson, Day 2 to Inuvik and back to Eagle Plains. Day 3 Eagle Plains to Tok. Dawson to Eagle Plains 255 miles. Eagle Plains to Inuvik is about 235 miles I think. Ft MPherson has gas, but not till 1100hrs on sunday and NLT 17 or 1800 M-F and maybe 1600 on sunday. It opens around 0900 M-S I think. If its raining I would plan on two days up and two days back.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:28 PM   #3
ThatGuy
Brownie

Oddometer: 4,617
I ran up last year a few weeks after D2D and had great weather. Rode straight up from Dawson and was planning a straight shot back the next day but I got a flat that slowed me down. That being said I stayed in Eagle Plains that night and rode back to Tok the next day. It's doable if the weather is good. If you want to take your time and explore/take pics, I'd stop in Eagle Plains both ways.
Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.
ThatGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:25 PM   #4
ScooterboyII
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
I did it about 2 weeks ago in 3 days which seemed just about right. To stay on the smoothest part of the road I had to ride about 70 percent of the time as far right as possible just before the drop off which uses a lot of concentration not to go too far to the right where the drop off is. They had laid down new gravel for about 50 miles and were grading it which causes it to have wind rows about 10 inches high that you had to stay off of. It rained a few times and when the road is wet it is very slippery but good when it is dry. On the way back when I got to Eagle Plains it was raining buckets and 4 other riders we're getting motels at $165 a night. One guy had high sided 50 miles back and destroyed his bike and had to figure out how to get him and the bike home. As I was against spending so much for a motel I checked out the camping spot which was a mud bog, so I looked at the sky and noticed that I was at the edge of the storm that was heading north. So I headed south and in about 3 miles I was out of the rain.
I went on down to the next camp site where it was nice and dry and set up, then the next day I went into Dawson City nice and early and spent the day and night.
It was well worth the trip, as the scenery is spectacular.
I would do it again in a heartbeat and I just might, since they are supposed to have the road finished from Inuvik to Tuktoyaktuk in about 4 years.
ScooterboyII is offline   Reply With Quote