User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #1
john112deere OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
airhead to Acadia

Had a few days off this past weekend, so I went for a bike ride. Wasn't entirely sure which direction I was headed even as I left; I really wanted to go to the Thousand Islands, but the weather forecast looked better in the other direction.

My '86 R80 is a daily rider during the non-snowy part of the year, and the only bike I've ever ridden on the road, or put more than a few miles on anywhere.

I finished work at lunchtime Friday, and it was beastly hot...conveniently, Mom was opening her family's beach house, so I blasted down to the NH coast. It was too hot to enjoy the ride, but it was cooler near the water. Had a nice dinner and pleasant evening with Mom. Woke up early the next morning and walked along the beach with my coffee:

Max BMW is right nearby, so I cruised over and picked up an oil filter for my next service. I started looking around the showroom, but realized that the only bikes that really piqued my interest were older than mine...and had sticker prices were in line with the new ones!

Then I headed north, with temps again miserably hot anywhere away from the coast. I stopped at the Penobscot Narrows Bridge, which they built maybe 6-8 years ago:

There's an observation deck on top of the right-hand tower, which was pretty neat:

Then I headed for Acadia National Park, pausing briefly to make an unplanned donation to the Maine State Police.

Found a really cheap room ($38.50 with tax) at Robbins Motel near the park- dated and basic, but I was very happy for the price.

Cruised up Cadillac:

Down to Bass Harbor Light:

Out to Schoodic Point:

The whole Schoodic Peninsula was stunning- now I realize why my grandparents were so fond of it:

Rained from Bar Harbor to Ellsworth when I was leaving, so I stopped for a sit-down breakfast. No more rain after that.

Think I rode about 1000 miles in total, although I forgot to note the mileage when I left.

Bike ran good- carbs aren't balanced quite perfect (I'm still learning), but it always started and ran just fine. Burned/leaked about a quart of oil- more than I'd like, but it's closing in on 100k and I was running it hard, in hot weather so I can't complain.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:47 PM   #2
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 725
Wow. Pretty.
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:59 AM   #3
Tonk
Frozen Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Glad to see you got in a good ride. I think I followed you for a few miles coming off 95 North and on thru Portland on 295. I remember thinking " what a cool BMW" and who else is out on such a sweaty day. I was on a white Tiger.
Tonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #4
john112deere OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonk View Post
Glad to see you got in a good ride. I think I followed you for a few miles coming off 95 North and on thru Portland on 295. I remember thinking " what a cool BMW" and who else is out on such a sweaty day. I was on a white Tiger.
Yep- I remember you.

Gawd it was miserable-hot through that stretch...
Old 06-05-2013, 02:15 PM   #5
Tonk
Frozen Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Yeah, it was rough. I stopped in Waterville on my way to the Danforth area (East Grand Lake) to grab something to eat. Just taking my jacket off was nasty enough to "almost" make me not go in the restaurant ..... But I did anyways. I did eventually run into rain and Tstorms from Lincoln north. It actually felt nice.
Enjoy the summer and ill keep an eye out for you. Ride safe.
Tonk is offline   Reply With Quote