User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #1
troutshack OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Thirty Days in Mexico (Más o Menos)

Every since my last Mexico trip in the Fall of 2011 I have told anyone who would listen that I would love to go back including my Brother-in-Law, Mark. Although he hasn’t ridden in around thirty years Mark has the bug and has been looking for a bike. I have told him many times that I would go whenever he was ready, well he got ready.

I had seen a bike that met his criteria right here on advrider. He wanted something durable, affordable and reliable and that can only mean a KLR right? The bike was located in Shreveport, LA and we were going to try and have a look on May 5th after I returned home from visiting friends in Eureka Springs, AR. It was on that ride home that I got a call from my wife. “Mark is going to quit his job and ride Mexico with you “she said “and he’s ready to do it now.”

Stranger things have happened I guess and I’ll let Mark go into as much or as little detail as he likes about his motivations but I certainly wasn’t expecting him to quit his job, buy a bike and for us to be in Mexico by June 1st. It was a really great ride the rest of the way home as I contemplated the possibilities. I was excited and hoped that the bike in Shreveport would do. It was a-lot to take in for me end even more for Mark. He didn’t even have a motorcycle endorsement on his license.

After six hours on the road from Eureka Springs we hoped in Marks truck and drove another hour and a half to look at the bike. It was 2004 KLR with 30 K on the clock, lots of farkles and needing some attention but overall appeared to be a solid bike, at least for Mark, as he can fix anything IMHO. The owner of the bike told us it was a oil burner so we knew we would have to bore it out the same as we had My 2009 just 6 or so months before. There were problems with the turn indicators and other issues I’ll let Mark expand on if he wishes. By far the biggest issue was time. Mark put in his two week notice May 9th out target leave date was May 27th. In the mean time we would have to order parts, fix mechanical issues, replace tires chains sprockets ect. and Texas requires a motorcycle safety class to get a license so there’s one weekend shot. Can we make it?

Meet Mark aka (backpackhill) installing a pre bored exchanged 685 cylinder from Eagle Mike.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=723650
troutshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #2
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,082
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #3
Roland44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by troutshack View Post
Meet Mark aka (backpackhill) installing a pre bored exchanged 685 cylinder from Eagle Mike.

One of my favorite bikes, subscribed!
Roland44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #4
Jick Magger
Exile on Main Street

Oddometer: 795
"Quit the Job" You gotta love that!
Bring it on ..subscribed

RIde Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...t=Rolling+jick
Jick Magger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #5
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,414

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #6
akaDigger
Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Subscribed.

Recently picked up a KLR myself, for the purpose of doing a "dirtier" Mexico trip.

Baja http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=863001
Oaxaca http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=866523
akaDigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #7
backpackhill
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hi, I’m Mark the brother-in law that quit his job and made it to Mexico.
I bought the kit to make my KLR 650, a 685. We are now traveling in Mexico and having a great time. I will be moving to Dallas, as soon as the trip end. My last vacation, was so long ago that Mexico seemed to be what I needed.
backpackhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:48 PM   #8
troutshack OP
Adventurer

Wicked

So, from Mark’s post above you know we made it. We frantically placed orders for gear and parts. Mark didn’t even have a helmet. He and my youngest son took the rider course together (Which I hope will lead to my third Mexico ride next summer). Everything came in and was installed in time with one exception. Mark’s bike was having carb problems but we couldn’t find one that could make it to us in time. We made the decision to go anyway and the morning of May 30th we left. Bound for Mexico with an idea of what we wanted to see and where we wanted to go but no plan of attack. One day at a time my friend, one day at a time.

Day 1 (May 30th)

Our plan for today was to make it to J.D.’s (schizzman) place in Austin. I met J.D. on my last MX trip and he is a well of knowledge on many things one of them being riding in Mexico he is also an incredible host. If you ever get the opportunity to spend any time with this man don’t pass it up!

The trip didn’t start out pleasant we were punished by demanding winds all the first day and Mark was still having carb problems. It was a tough ride for me and I know it was hard on Mark it was his first long day of riding ever and his first day of riding other than short test rides in 30 years. It was like riding on a sailboat.

The wind swept plains of central Texas.

Upon arriving at J.D.’s place Mark had had enough, he immediately began working on the carb issue again. This time he found debris in the carb. Will that be the fix, or will this become a repeating pic? More to come. I can tell you this Mark doesn’t think this is funny…yet, I keep telling him he will laugh at it one day.

Mark with J.D. assisting

That night J.D. treated us to a great steak dinner and some fine Tequlia. We sat around the table at J.D.’s looking at maps bouncing ideas around and looking up gps coordinates. A plan was emerging, a plan that included visiting the distillery where J.D. found that fine Tequila.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:52 PM   #9
Blind Warrior
Lost in the Ozone

Oddometer: 347
How far, how long?

"The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced." - Frank Zappa
Blind Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:09 PM   #10
troutshack OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Warrior View Post
How far, how long?
How Far? We plan to go as far as tikal/ Flores Guatemala and then return up the Pacific coast? Spend +/- 30 days doing it. Nothing set in stone though, not even in mud. I do need to be home around the first week or two of July. Stay tuned!

Old 06-04-2013, 08:51 PM   #11
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,175
Subscribed !

Troutshack, I regret missing you and Mark on the way through here, would have loved hosting you at casa WB.

I fully intend to fall back in love with my KLR after I give it a going over and get it running. Great bikes.

Enjoy the trip !
Old 06-04-2013, 10:05 PM   #12
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,414
Juan, you might get another shot at hosting these guys in a few weeks.
I know they would greatly appreciate your hospitality.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:56 AM   #13
Kedgi
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Subscribed

Subscribed

I'll be following along from my spot here in the "Lobster Capital of the World."

I'm looking forward to travelling in Mexico again soon!

Enjoy!

Kedgi

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=832336
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:06 AM   #14
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,519
don't spare the details!
Old 06-05-2013, 07:40 AM   #15
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 978
Subscribed! Don't think twice about the KLR. It's a perfect bike for a month in Mexico. If you get over this way give me a shout.
SR is online now   Reply With Quote