User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2012, 06:21 PM   #1
ZAPLAJE OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
2up Santiago-Ushuaia-Alaska? on a KLR650

Hi everybody... I thought that maybe I can share this trip with you, ADVriders.

Im Roberto, 31, from Chile. Sorry if my english isn't perfect. Im into the motorcycle travel thing from 5 years now. Here in Chile it's weard to travel by motorcycle, more if you are young, even more if you are poor, like me. So it's have been very hard to make all this posible.

I always liked KLR's... I had a 250, travel a lot on it, and always dreamed with a 650... I know that in the US KLR650 it's the more comun bike in the world, but in Chile isn't. So when I saw the oportunity of buy one from a guy who travelled from the US to Chile (very cheap for Chilean prices), I just take it and ask for a loan to pay it... In Chile it's ilegal to drive a used imported motorcycle... but I spent the next 2 years trying to make it legal... and I did it finally, in the end of 2011.

Im a physical therapist... a real bad payed work in Chile, so when the trip came into my mind I started a small business to save money, and I saved for 2 and a half years. My girlfriend Daniella finished her architecture studys one week before we started the trip

In that 2 and a half years, I worked in the bike too and buy all kind of stuff to prepare the bike, and us: clothes, tent, sleeping bags, etc etc.

And the right time came, so in January 22nd we started the trip of our lives... we didn't save the amount we spected but we started anyways, it was "now or never".

As you can spect, this is a really low budget trip, and that's way I wrote in the title "Alaska?" because we don't know if the money lasts to get there... that and the fact that the Canadian goverment didn't aprove my visa, so I can't enter Canada... I will aply again when we will be in the US.

Well, the bike is a 2005 KLR650, with a 1993 chassis (to make it legal in Chile). You can see a thread with my fairing project here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=427170

the mods was, other than the fairing stuff:
Corbin dual platform seat
Laser exhaust
Carb Jets
Metallic brake lines
Oversized front rotor
Rear rotor
Progressive rear shock with super hard spring
Progressive front Springs
Sub-Chassis mod
Super big and strong rear rack
Custom size panniers
Aluminum Skidplate
Centerstand
Toolbox

of course we started the trip with many new parts: fork bushings and seals, brake pads, final drive, tires, stearing bearings, etc.

We are currently in Colombia, Santa Marta, we just reach 20.000 kms and 4 and a half months, and visited from Santiago de Chile to Punta Arenas, Ushuaia, Ruta 40, Buenos Aires, Uruguay, Brazil from the southern tip to Rio de Janeiro, to Brasilia, to Porto Velho, Manaus, Venezuela... we met the most amazing, king, fun, friendly, helpfull and disinterested people in all kind of places... and now here in Colombia, thinking on how we can jump the Darien gap... all indicates that we will take the plane from Bogota, because I have many miles in my credit card, so I have to pay just for the bike.

I will try to post regularlly from now, sometimes internet is not easy to find and some times I'm just too lazy to write, but I will try, I promess!!!

see ya!

Old 06-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #2
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,333
IN!
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:33 PM   #3
Free Radical
High speed drifter

Oddometer: 1,401
Yay! Take us along with you, and que les vaya bien! If you by any chance find yourself in Oklahoma, mi casa sera su casa.

"A cheeseburger, a tank of gas, and the hell out of here!" -- Graffiti, Men's Room, Fontanelli's Tavern, Norman, OK c 1974
Free Radical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:14 PM   #4
Paratrout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
I'm in bro! Let me know if you head through "Norte Carolina".

2008 KLR 650
Paratrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:32 PM   #5
noplacelikehome
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Hi

Hi Robert and Daniella,

Looking forward seeing your post and pics.

Have fun out there.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:48 AM   #6
lakota
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,731
looking forward to more.

Ride safe!
IBA #42016

my ride reports

Follow my current ride
lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:20 AM   #7
HutchPhoto
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Are y'all coming thru Texas or traveling thru California ?

Watching for your updates..

Tim
HutchPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:24 AM   #8
Utah Bones
Gas X ready!

Oddometer: 1,581

Utah Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:54 PM   #9
ZAPLAJE OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks very much for your good vibes.

I don't think we will go through Oklahoma, but who knows!. Texas isn't in our plans either, but California, Arizona, Nevada, Oregon, Washington are in our route going north... We don't know the route south yet, but we have some "must": Illinois, New Jersey, New York, Florida (we will send the bike back to Chile there).

Well I will go to the "fun for you" part, the report.

We started on Jan 22nd 2012 after several unsuccesfull tries. We left my mother's home at 5:30 PM... it was now or never, so we left that day knowing that we will only ride a cuople of kilometers. We slept in Curicó, only 120 kms south of Santiago.

last minute work

After that, next day we travel south to Villarrica, where my father lives, and I lived with him 11 years, so it was good to say good bye to my family and friends there. That day was the longest ride of our trip: 650 kms, we really don't like to ride more than 500 kms... you know... 2 up on a KLR...

Some place in the road to Villarrica

One last sailing with my old man in the beautifull Villarrica Lake

In Villarrica, we did some paperwork like unsuscribe our cellphone contracts, health contracts (in Chile, if you don't have a job, you don't have health, but you have to tell them, the health insurance company, that you don't have a job anymore, or they will charge you the cost of your contract any ways!!!)... and I have a little "first long travel" health problem: a stone on my kidney were loose after so many vibrating ours, so I have a pain attack, that delayed our departure from Villarrica one day.

New helmet style haircuts!!!

We had to go fast to the south, because we bought a Ferry tickets to go with the bike from Puerto Montt (1100 kms south of Santiago) to Puerto Natales (Torres del Paine National Park), a 2000 kms trip going south through the channels between hundreds of islands. In Puerto Montt westayed in my best friend home, Jorge, and there we prepared all to spend 4 days in the Ferry.

The Ferry was one of the nicest parts of our trip... It have very nice acomodations, good food, nice people on board of all over the world, even some other motorcyclists!. Here in Puerto Montt a couple of friends will join us for our Patagonia stage of our trip, they travelled 2 up on a KLR too.

We bought the entire 4 bed cabin for half a price in one of those discount webpages that offers big discounts if a big number of people buy the same item

We met a Swiss motorbiker: Guy, and a couple of friends from Argentina: Sergio and Cacho, 64 and 68 years old!!! on a couple of R1200GSA... the most funn old guys! we spent most part of the 4 days trip with them! it was a VERY good 4 days.

All the motoboys and girls

"Angostura White" the most skinny part where the Ferry had to pass... just amazing!

All the people ready to getting down and start riding after 4 days of relax and incredible views

I will try to update this report more frecuently!!!
Old 06-26-2012, 08:11 PM   #10
thomas.tc.young
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
awesome, keep the RR coming!

and subscribed
thomas.tc.young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:50 PM   #11
Manolito
Patagonia guide

Oddometer: 237
I'm in.

Going to Ushuaia? Stop in Rio Gallegos and let's have a beer
Manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:27 PM   #12
KimPossible
XT Diver!:)

Oddometer: 814
KimPossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #13
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,596
Good stuff, I hope you get into Canada...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:06 PM   #14
ZAPLAJE OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm sorry for my dessapearing... Internet have been dificult to find and when we have it, some times I don't have energy to write hahaha...

just for your knowledge, we are in Seattle, WA now, and Alaska will not be possible, our last thing to do is to go to the border and pray

Well...after have been in that confy ferry for 4 days, we take our motorcycles, searched for a place to stay in Puerto Natales, the entrance door to the Torres del Paine National Park. We shared a cabin with our chileans partners and with Guy, our swiss new friend and after waiting for 2 days for the rain to stop we finally went to the road and experienced the truly high winds of patagonia... and our firsts dirt roads. There you can see many turquoise lakes, the big rocky formations: the towers and the horns, some glaciars and the milodon's cave, a giant cave where an extinct kind of dinosaurs used to live.

In those roads we blow our progressive rear shock (lasted just one week), but our next destination was Punta Arenas, the biggest city in those southern landscapes, so there we stayed there with a wonderfull family that received us. We stayed there 6 days. It's an tax free city so we took advantage of that and bought some equipment and food, and of course to fix the rear shock

After our stay in Punta Arenas we took a ferry (3 hours) to Tierra del Fuego island. We arrived in Porvenir in the chilean side, and went to the Argentinian side, the most amazing dirt roads I ever seen, and we did our first border crossing. We stayed in Rio Grande, the biggest city in the island, and then continue to Ushuaia the southern point you can go with a motorcycle. We stayed there 4 days camping.

Amazing story of this bike and its german owner

As soon as I can I will continue the report. See you
Old 08-21-2012, 11:10 PM   #15
sunday_rider1098
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Hola Roberto te felicito por lanzarte a este viaje junto a tu polola, yo tambien viví en Santiago muchos años y entiendo lo deficil que es para una persona normal contar con la finanza y tiempo para realizar este viaje! En caso de que pases por Texas y necesites un lugar para quedarte me avisas, yo vivo en Houston y mi casa es su casa! Buen viaje compa!
sunday_rider1098 is offline   Reply With Quote