Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #1
mroddis OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Tubes?

Hi everyone,
I'm a noob still and wondering if I've made my first online purchase error....

I ordered a rear tube to compliment the spare front one I was given by the original owner. I received it today, and noticed that it is big.....and heavy. I ordered a Michelin Heavy Duty tube - 4mm (as it was the only one I could see online) as I figured a heavy duty one was a good choice.(bigger is better, right?)

Now my existing front tube box is no bigger than approx 4 oil filter boxes (it's all i have lying around that I figure you guys could visualize). The new one (rear, 18" and therefore 'smaller') is in a box at least double that of the front one. And it seems to weigh at least double...

So my question is - did I overdo it? I want to carry these tubes with me, but I don't think I can haul around such a big tube. What do you guys use? What size/thickness should I have bought?

Details:
2006 950 Adventure
Running Conti Attacks currently, also have a set of Mefo/Heidenaus
80/20 street/dirt rider
200 lbs rider.

Thanks all,
Matthew
Old 06-04-2013, 03:31 PM   #2
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by mroddis View Post
Hi everyone,
I'm a noob still and wondering if I've made my first online purchase error....

I ordered a rear tube to compliment the spare front one I was given by the original owner. I received it today, and noticed that it is big.....and heavy. I ordered a Michelin Heavy Duty tube - 4mm (as it was the only one I could see online) as I figured a heavy duty one was a good choice.(bigger is better, right?)

Now my existing front tube box is no bigger than approx 4 oil filter boxes (it's all i have lying around that I figure you guys could visualize). The new one (rear, 18" and therefore 'smaller') is in a box at least double that of the front one. And it seems to weigh at least double...

So my question is - did I overdo it? I want to carry these tubes with me, but I don't think I can haul around such a big tube. What do you guys use? What size/thickness should I have bought?

Details:
2006 950 Adventure
Running Conti Attacks currently, also have a set of Mefo/Heidenaus
80/20 street/dirt rider
200 lbs rider.

Thanks all,
Matthew

Usually just go with heavy duty tubes in the tires and as a spare carry a 21" thin tube and patches.

Should the rear tube be ripped beyond repair a 21" should be possible to get in there and take it easy until it can be replaced with a correct size tube.

/Johan

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,470
That's the tube (the 4mm) I use, but carry 1 or 2 standard duty spare 18" tubes, depending on terrain and how far I'm away from civilization.

In my opinion, you did not make a mistake.

About that 21" spare- I've carried a 21 spare exclusively for years on my EXC. Then, a few weeks ago, I got a flat on the rear of the 990 and had to face the facts- a 4.25" rear 18" tire is a BIG space to fill with a 21" front tube. I got away with it- ran the 21 for over 100 miles, but will be carrying a 18 in the future.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #4
jon6.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
I run the Michelin heavy duty tubes in the bike and carry thin standard duty tubes as spares. Usually just a 21" tube, but if I'm going way out in the middle of nowhere I will also carry an 18" standard duty tube as well. When I'm offroad, I only air down to 30psi to prevent a front pinch flat and to prevent bending the wheels.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #5
catalina38
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,496
Put the new tube in the tire and keep the old thin one as a spare.

KTM 2010 990R, 2013 500EXC
catalina38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:40 PM   #6
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,009
I worked in manufacturing facilities for tubes for over 26 years of my career in the rubber industry. I often read of people carrying a 21" tube as a spare for both front and back. These people often say the 21"tube will be good in the rear for 100 miles or so. While my highest position was General Manger of the total operation, I am not presenting myself as a technical expert. I came up through the production ranks. Anyway, when I carry a single tube as a spare, I carry something like a 4.50-18 or a 4.00-19. In my opinion, this is a much better compromise than using a 21 for a 17 or 18 inch tire. The main concern from a technical stand point is the amount of stretch put on the walls of the tube to fill the tire cavity. The 18 or 19 spread over a 21" wheel will introduce less stretch or thinning out than the 3.00 cross section of the 21" tube filling out the cross section of most 17 or 18 inch tires. If the tube is stretched too much filling the cavity of the tire, it will have thin spots that will tend to lose air pressure at a faster rate than normal. Have you ever had a tube that kept losing air faster than normal, but you could not find a hole? It might not have had a hole, it may have simply had one or more thin spots that were allowing air to pass at a greater rate than normal. This is a very simple explanation of a complex subject. BUT, AGAIN, I AM ONLY SHARING MY OPINION!
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:02 PM   #7
Afry
Why hike?

Oddometer: 438
dwj - Donnie - Good food for thought, I may switch to a 4.00/19 as a spare when riding locally.

Motorcyclist prayer: Oh lord if I die, please don't let my wife sell my bikes for what I told her they cost.
Afry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:11 PM   #8
jon6.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
So you are saying use a 4.0-19 in the front for a 21" wheel also?
Old 06-05-2013, 04:12 AM   #9
mdfehrmann
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
I run and carry standard duty tubes on my 950adv, 1 flat in 50,000 miles...I better knock on wood...

Matthew

2006 KTM 950 ADV S - 2004 Sherco 2.9
http://www.mdfeditions.com/
http://www.cjdesignsllc.com/
mdfehrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:04 AM   #10
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon6.0 View Post
So you are saying use a 4.0-19 in the front for a 21" wheel also?

In my unqualified opinion, yes! And if I put one on my 21" wheel in the outback, I would not change it till I changed the tire. But that is just me! For me, the spare tube should be 1 or 2 inches larger than the rear tire. If you put a 19" tube in a 17" tire, make sure that you fit it evenly around the rim to minimize folds. You may notice a slight fold when you remove the tube, but that should not be a problem. I would not do this if I was attempting a land speed record! You will also have to be really careful to make sure that you do not fold the fatter tube when you put it into the skinny from tire.

Also, I would not run the extremely thick HD tubes unless I was running really low pressure off road where pinches are the greater reason for flats. I see no reason to run thicker heavier tubes on a road bike. The thicker tube will generate higher temps, leading to faster tire wear, not to mention increasing unsprung weight. I have ridden all but the last few hundred miles of the Trans America Trail, a fair amount of off road in the Smokey Mountains, plus some really aggressive stuff in Mexico and Nicaragua on my recently sold KLR. I never used nothing but the standard weight tubes, but I very rarely ran less than 18 pounds of air pressure. I never use a patched tube, except in cases of emergency! Unless you have access to a heated press, the patch is going to come off, it is just a matter of when! And even if it is "cooked" on, I would still change it at the first opportunity.
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:06 AM   #11
DeepInIt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,365
The simple solution is buy an SE. The thinner rim produces a lot less stretch on a 21" replacement tube
DeepInIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #12
FakeName

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
In my unqualified opinion, yes! And if I put one on my 21" wheel in the outback, I would not change it till I changed the tire. But that is just me! For me, the spare tube should be 1 or 2 inches larger than the rear tire. If you put a 19" tube in a 17" tire, make sure that you fit it evenly around the rim to minimize folds. You may notice a slight fold when you remove the tube, but that should not be a problem. I would not do this if I was attempting a land speed record! You will also have to be really careful to make sure that you do not fold the fatter tube when you put it into the skinny from tire.
Thanks for your observation- much appreciated.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
Old 06-05-2013, 09:21 AM   #13
Pops of the desert
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
I carry both

I have a rear tube in the right fairing and a front tube in the left. The front will fit with the canister in place. Both are standard duty as HD will not fit.
Pops of the desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:30 AM   #14
FakeName

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops of the desert View Post
I have a rear tube in the right fairing and a front tube in the left. The front will fit with the canister in place. Both are standard duty as HD will not fit.
When you do that, do you have to remove the fairing to get to it? Or is there an easier way?

Thanks.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
Old 06-05-2013, 09:47 AM   #15
Pops of the desert
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Fairing

Yes you need to pull the rear of the fairing out to remove the tube. Takes about 5 minutes.
Pops of the desert is offline   Reply With Quote