ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2013, 03:53 PM   #1
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
Any reason not to sell an out of state used bike in California?

Quick question for you residents of California. I'm moving to Australia but before I do my plan is to spend a month in California. I've still got a vstrom for sale locally here in south Carolina. Now I'm thinking of bringing it to California for the month riding it around then selling it before I go. Any reason not to do so? The bike has a clear south Carolina title. Wasn't sure if they'd complicate the issue in California.

Thanks,
Dom

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #2
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domromer View Post
Quick question for you residents of California. I'm moving to Australia but before I do my plan is to spend a month in California. I've still got a vstrom for sale locally here in south Carolina. Now I'm thinking of bringing it to California for the month riding it around then selling it before I go. Any reason not to do so? The bike has a clear south Carolina title. Wasn't sure if they'd complicate the issue in California.

Thanks,
Dom
If it is 50 state smog legal, no problem.

If it has over 7500 miles on the odo, you needn't worry about smog.

Those are the only two potential legal issues I can think of... It may be a bit hard to sell a SC plated bike around here.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:23 PM   #3
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu View Post
If it is 50 state smog legal, no problem.

If it has over 7500 miles on the odo, you needn't worry about smog.

Those are the only two potential legal issues I can think of... It may be a bit hard to sell a SC plated bike around here.
Why do you think so? Just an out of state title? Which I have on hand.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:09 PM   #4
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,376
Buyers are rather fickle.

Would you buy a California plated bike in SC?

If you are here a month you could register it in California, and get Cali plates and reg.

I can help with that.

You'd have to pay registration fee but no tax. Plus if it's in your name in SC then the 50 state rule or 7500 miles doesn't apply, you can register it anyway.

email me if you want to use my service.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:20 PM   #5
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

I've bought 6 bikes over the past two years and all but one have been out of state purchases. I guess I don't really see it as an issue. Thanks for the offer of assistance.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:44 PM   #6
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,652
You may want to consider California as a very different state. My understanding is the same as a previous poster- 50-state sticker and/or 7500 miles.

But I could be wrong. I was once. I believe it was 1986 or 87.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:05 PM   #7
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

09 with 17k on the clock so I'm good.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:39 PM   #8
heirhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
title

Tuckers are right.
When you get here go to DMV and reg, around $80.00 total. Get an address
where DMV can mail you title, approx 2 weeks. Not only will you make up the $80.00 in spades it WILL be way easier to sell. You will have no problem reg. yourself but many people will not look at your bike with out of state plates.
I'm not one of them but many of your potential buyers. AAA member?

heirhead
worlds worst mechanic
heirhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:31 PM   #9
TUCKERS
the famous james

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeName View Post
You may want to consider California as a very different state. My understanding is the same as a previous poster- 50-state sticker and/or 7500 miles.

But I could be wrong. I was once. I believe it was 1986 or 87.
Wrong yet again, that's twice now in 26 years, it's becoming a habit.

Doesn't apply to a current registered owner transfer from another state. It's only if you are doing change of ownership as well.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:52 AM   #10
TUCKERS
the famous james

Buying a vehicle out of state is not the same as buying an out of state vehicle in your home state.

OK...rephrase...MOST buyers are fickle. Often they are looking for an excuse not to buy.

There are exceptions.

People like true original California vehicles. They are generally rust free and clean condition because of our climate.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:03 AM   #11
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,634
I think what they are trying to say is that California smog laws have made people gun shy about buying out of state bikes. We have heard the horror stories about not being able to plate bikes because they were never sold here as road bikes. Those who know will look for that CA emissions sticker (it does still have the sticker, doesn't it?) and be fine with it, but your pool of potential buyers will be reduced.

Getting the CA plate ASAP will solve the problem. If you do not have a CA address, you can also just explain the whole damn thing in your For Sale ad, and offer to go to the DMV with the buyer. That will put some people's mind at ease, but there will still be some who just move on to the next ad.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:21 AM   #12
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Seems I'm better off selling it before I go. Thanks for the feedback, maybe I'll just rent a bike for a week.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:39 AM   #13
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domromer View Post
Seems I'm better off selling it before I go. Thanks for the feedback, maybe I'll just rent a bike for a week.
The rental will cost more than the lower sale. You are probably talking over $1000.

If your bike is worth less than $3000, I would just price it to sell toward the end of the month. Maybe you can meet an inmate that can finish the sale for you, and just leave the signed pink slip and bill of sale with them when you go.

If your bike is high value, sell it and buy a cheaper one here, again low balling the price at the end of month. If you buy a DR650 for say $2000, you should have no problem selling it for $1800 or something.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:53 PM   #14
Yellowdatsun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Personally I wouldn't want to deal with the hassle. I'd sell it before you go. Even if it costs more by renting a bike while in Cali, the peace of mind from not having to deal with CA dmv and finding a buyer would make it worth it to me.

Plus, you can rent something new, try a different bike. Might be a good idea anyways.
Yellowdatsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #15
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 47,406
I'm not sure why some would see this as anything more than a normal sale/purchase.

The quality of the bike will speak for itself.

And the simple work around for a potential buyer is for you to offer to go with him/her to the DMV just to give the buyer some peace of mind.

I just sold an out of state bike here (We have a place out of state) and there was absolutely no issue with him rolling the bike into his name. (I offered to go to the DMV with him but he declined)

The V-Strom is a 50 state bike so the 7500 mile rule is the only rule that matters.

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote