ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 05:44 PM   #61
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilothouse51 View Post
yep I sure am and I don't have a problem with that. I was meeting Henry in Fitzwilliam which is about 50 miles south east of Springfield. I figure I might as well start from the beginning and get the whole nickle tour.

I found FitzW on the map. I can be in Springfield whenever you want to head out. I'll just slab it on over rte. 11 to Chester. Where do you want to meet? I was born in Springfield actually.

While that sounds tempting I think we should pass this go around. I wouldn't mind trying it out another time though.
I hope the XR won't be too dirt for this ride. I am going to gear it down, but may wait till after. I don't mind road riding, but the bike doesn't seem as happy above 55. If this is going to be an issue, just let me know. I don't have a problem if I can't keep up.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:47 PM   #62
Pilothouse51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
I am currently running Fullbore M40's. They are the knock off of the Shinko 705's. I have to say I am much happier with them than the Pirelli scorpions I had before. I don't have a lot of experience on rough two track but what what I lack in that I make up in ambition and stubbornness.
Pilothouse51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:49 PM   #63
Pilothouse51
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by justdrew View Post
OOOHHH, just caught on to this thread and I live to close to miss out on this. Camping won't be necessary for me, just a ride to the top and breakfast. I'm confused though, which date works for everyone?

This one is for the June 30th ride. At least I hope I have the right date.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:58 PM   #64
henrymartin OP
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by justdrew View Post
OOOHHH, just caught on to this thread and I live to close to miss out on this. Camping won't be necessary for me, just a ride to the top and breakfast. I'm confused though, which date works for everyone?
It doesn't work for everyone, but we are going June 30. Well, camping June 29, but the mountain opens June 30 at 3:30am. I suggest being at the base before 3 am.
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:03 PM   #65
henrymartin OP
Mr. Tourguide

Quote:
I am currently running Fullbore M40's. They are the knock off of the Shinko 705's. I have to say I am much happier with them than the Pirelli scorpions I had before. I don't have a lot of experience on rough two track but what what I lack in that I make up in ambition and stubbornness.
I just looked at the tires - seems like something between Anakee 2 and Heidenau Scout. Okay, I'll stay away from the mud (deep mud) as much as possible. When in doubt, slow down

With the weather we've been having, one never knows what is out there.

I just explained to kdennan that it is mostly unpaved but maintained surface, with a couple of 'summer maintenance only" sections, and a few paved sections, longest being Kancamagus, Bear Notch, and 302 through Crawford Notch.

It's an easy ride, nothing too adventurous - I save those for the shorter distances.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:22 AM   #66
Pilothouse51
Gnarly Adventurer

I am ok with a little mud. I am comfortable on gravel and such so I think this trip we should be all set. Finally got a better visual on your routing last night using gpsvisualizer.com looks like a lot of fun. I will see if Rouge Ranger wants to meet us somewhere in Lincoln. He lives up there thataway.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:02 AM   #67
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
If the beemer hasn't sold by the time of the ride, I'll consider riding it. I wonder if I add on another 6-700 miles to the bike if I'll have to drop the price?
Old 06-14-2013, 05:33 AM   #68
AdvRich
Parallel Reality

Oddometer: 1,463
That does look like a nice route HM. Thanks on the GPS visualizer metion PilotHouse51.

kdennan, not sure what Ballics and I will work up. It looks like we could roll east on 4 and tap into the MNT Washington GPS route as one option. If you don't roll east earlier to ride up with the main crew, I'm coming over from NY and am pretty much due east of you so possiblity of meeting up as mentioned is there. Then up to Ballics area (or another meet spot east of Jon's 20) and onward to the Mt. If Jon and I decide on more dirt like the posted route, I may go with the WR and put the motards with 705's on. The TDM would be more comfotable and fun on the pavement and it easily handles gravel roads in street skins, but not so good if mud and rougher going is more the off road norm.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:30 AM   #69
henrymartin OP
Mr. Tourguide

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvRich View Post
That does look like a nice route HM. Thanks on the GPS visualizer metion PilotHouse51.

kdennan, not sure what Ballics and I will work up. It looks like we could roll east on 4 and tap into the MNT Washington GPS route as one option. If you don't roll east earlier to ride up with the main crew, I'm coming over from NY and am pretty much due east of you so possiblity of meeting up as mentioned is there. Then up to Ballics area (or another meet spot east of Jon's 20) and onward to the Mt. If Jon and I decide on more dirt like the posted route, I may go with the WR and put the motards with 705's on. The TDM would be more comfotable and fun on the pavement and it easily handles gravel roads in street skins, but not so good if mud and rougher going is more the off road norm.
There is nothing a streetbike (in the right hands) would not do in my route. last year a guy did parts of it (the harder parts on an FJR two up. Not exactly a dirt route, just unpaved and slower than the superslab. I enjoy the maintained forest roads with nice views more than pavement. WR would be overkill for this one.

This route is perfect for a big ADV bike, or a Tiger or Vstrom, or... No traffic, just easy riding through the smaller towns and villages.

MY WR is staying home for this one, since there is no need for a dirtbike on this route.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:03 AM   #70
De Oppresso Liber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrymartin View Post
There is nothing a streetbike (in the right hands) would not do in my route. last year a guy did parts of it (the harder parts on an FJR two up. Not exactly a dirt route, just unpaved and slower than the superslab. I enjoy the maintained forest roads with nice views more than pavement. WR would be overkill for this one.

This route is perfect for a big ADV bike, or a Tiger or Vstrom, or... No traffic, just easy riding through the smaller towns and villages.

MY WR is staying home for this one, since there is no need for a dirtbike on this route.
Haven't had a minute to look at the route for this year.... is it still reasonable for a two up FJR venture again?!

Could do the KLX, but as stated, is overkill and not as comfortable.... but, if it's wet or muddy, fughetaboutit.... there were a couple of sections of road on last years ride where I was definitely white-knuckling it, won't lie. If the summer is shaping up as it is so far, it's going to be wet or at least muddy... and in that scenario, I'd have to take the KLX.... OR, if Alexis wants to come along again, we could just take the FJR and do some scenic paved roads while up there that she hasn't seen yet.... such as Cathedral. I recall leaving the Blueberry Muffin and just HAVING to do Hurricane Mtn Rd!! Was a hoot - though Alexis said she liked Sandwich Notch Road the best!
'05 TTR 250
De Oppresso Liber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #71
henrymartin OP
Mr. Tourguide

Alexis just loves busting her dad's balls (what's left of them - I heard a rumor once...)

If summer continues the way it has been, it will be muddy on the unpaved roads. I can't lie. Leave the FJR at home and bring the KLX. There is no high speed riding except the Kanca.

Essentially, most roads are like what what we did between Brattleboro and Jamaica
Old 06-14-2013, 12:45 PM   #72
Zilg0
31337 H4x0r

Oddometer: 29
dumb post

I am interested in joining in on the fun for the June 30th run, If I am back in the neighborhood in time.

This afternoon I am out for two weeks down for AdvRAid, RARally and road trip. Only tethered via smartphone, so follow up will be pulling teeth! If you are planning to make the run on the DS route you posted from Fitzwilliam let me know when you plan to depart if you are up for some company!
Old 06-14-2013, 01:48 PM   #73
Pilothouse51
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilg0 View Post
I am interested in joining in on the fun for the June 30th run, If I am back in the neighborhood in time.

This afternoon I am out for two weeks down for AdvRAid, RARally and road trip. Only tethered via smartphone, so follow up will be pulling teeth! If you are planning to make the run on the DS route you posted from Fitzwilliam let me know when you plan to depart if you are up for some company!
The Fitzwilliam route is a go as far as I know. Thinking the meet time in Fitzwilliam is going to be 8am on Saturday the 29th.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:53 PM   #74
Pilothouse51
Gnarly Adventurer

Mud or no mud I only have one bike option. Me thinks as long as I am not trying to go through 2 feet or deeper of mud or trying to traverse a floating bridge that is made up of 2x8's then it should alright.

Kdennan- I think another 700 miles isn't gonna hurt your price.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:15 PM   #75
henrymartin OP
Mr. Tourguide

Quote:
Mud or no mud I only have one bike option. Me thinks as long as I am not trying to go through 2 feet or deeper of mud or trying to traverse a floating bridge that is made up of 2x8's then it should alright.

Kdennan- I think another 700 miles isn't gonna hurt your price.

Exactly my sentiments about his GS.

As far as 2 ft of mud and floating bridges - not this time. The charity ride, yes This ride not. I'm bringing the heavy bike, so no chance of carrying it over a bridge.

And yes, 8am Sat 29th, Rte 119 and 12 in Fitzwilliam, NH. I may have a short surprise loop weather permitting. If there is 2 ft of mud, then no.