ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #76
justdrew
underpowered

Oddometer: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrymartin View Post
It doesn't work for everyone, but we are going June 30. Well, camping June 29, but the mountain opens June 30 at 3:30am. I suggest being at the base before 3 am.

Before 3 am....

This is suddenly starting to sound like not such a good idea.
justdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:19 PM   #77
De Oppresso Liber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by justdrew View Post
Before 3 am....

Ummm, it's a sunrise ride....

Seriously, though, last year we were there for 0300 thinking we'd be one of the first ones in line...boy were we WRONG! We made it up with time to spare, but there was a line of cars waiting to go up like a quarter mile long from the gate!

I agree, no later than 3.
'05 TTR 250
De Oppresso Liber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:00 PM   #78
henrymartin OP
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,275
Quote:
Before 3 am....

That's why we camp 15 minutes away from the base Hey, no one said the ride up is a must. It's as much about the ride there, the camp, and the sunrise as anything else. The sunrise is only a part of the experience.
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:08 PM   #79
justdrew
underpowered

Oddometer: 402
Quote:
That's why we camp 15 minutes away from the base Hey, no one said the ride up is a must. It's as much about the ride there, the camp, and the sunrise as anything else. The sunrise is only a part of the experience.
I'm in, don't take my sarcasm too seriously

I let the wife know what my plans were for that day, she didn't seem as impressed by the idea as I was.
justdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:10 PM   #80
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilothouse51 View Post
Mud or no mud I only have one bike option. Me thinks as long as I am not trying to go through 2 feet or deeper of mud or trying to traverse a floating bridge that is made up of 2x8's then it should alright.

Kdennan- I think another 700 miles isn't gonna hurt your price.
I was talking with the wife about that over dinner. Ok, I'll let it play out and see what shakes.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:18 PM   #81
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvRich View Post
That does look like a nice route HM. Thanks on the GPS visualizer metion PilotHouse51.

kdennan, not sure what Ballics and I will work up. It looks like we could roll east on 4 and tap into the MNT Washington GPS route as one option. If you don't roll east earlier to ride up with the main crew, I'm coming over from NY and am pretty much due east of you so possiblity of meeting up as mentioned is there. Then up to Ballics area (or another meet spot east of Jon's 20) and onward to the Mt. If Jon and I decide on more dirt like the posted route, I may go with the WR and put the motards with 705's on. The TDM would be more comfotable and fun on the pavement and it easily handles gravel roads in street skins, but not so good if mud and rougher going is more the off road norm.
Ok, keep me posted. I'd like to keep my options open right now. Ideally, I will sell the beemer before the trip, but that would definitely have me rule out riding with the crew from FW. If I take my route to the mtn. I could see riding the XR on it. It really is just dirt and back roads. The south route home had the stream crossing and snowmobile trail section, but my Sertao ruled it and even my buddies 800 managed to get through with out getting too banged up
Hmmm. What to do
Old 06-14-2013, 08:08 PM   #82
henrymartin OP
Mr. Tourguide

Quote:
I'm in, don't take my sarcasm too seriously

I let the wife know what my plans were for that day, she didn't seem as impressed by the idea as I was.
Somehow, my wife is not impressed by the idea either. Lets see: Take a long way up, in saddle all day instead of the 3 hrs it would take on the superslab, set camp, sleep for an hour, ride up the mountain in darkness, take some pics, have breakfast and tons of coffee, pack up, head home. Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

Oh, and don't let CJ give you hard time (DeOpressoLiber). He just went to Wyoming and back in 3.5 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdennan View Post
Hmmm. What to do
Buy a 990Adventure between now and the 29th. You asked
Old 06-15-2013, 01:21 AM   #83
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Somehow, my wife is not impressed by the idea either. Lets see: Take a long way up, in saddle all day instead of the 3 hrs it would take on the superslab, set camp, sleep for an hour, ride up the mountain in darkness, take some pics, have breakfast and tons of coffee, pack up, head home. Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

Oh, and don't let CJ give you hard time (DeOpressoLiber). He just went to Wyoming and back in 3.5 days.

Buy a 990Adventure between now and the 29th. You asked

I considered that pumpkin before I bought the 650. I thought I'd like something smaller. Now I got the XR to go smaller still. I have the time to take trips, but I'm trying to prioritize pedaling in my spare time so that is why I feel I should sell the bmw. And wifey actually agrees that having a cheap XR to commute and screw around on is the way to go.
I wonder if keeping both could work
I never keep stuff I don't use though
Old 06-15-2013, 08:26 AM   #84
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

I think I might take most of my route from home to the mtn. and ride the XR.
It sends you up from Stratton mtn. to Rutland and eventually up to just beyond Lake Dunmore before turning northeast. Lunch in Montpelier and then north some more, and then east thru Burke and on to NH. I might skip out on my northern loop that eventually swings back south to Berlin and just head on straight to Gorham. I'll get directions to the campground from there.
When I did the full route I left my house around 7am and pulled into Dolly Copp sometime around 7pm. I'd like to get to camp earlier than that for this one.

The southern route will be fine for the pig too. Last time Jefferson Notch was closed but this time I'll take it. The only rough part on the XR will be the Kanc, but it'll do it fine, just a little slower. We left camp something like 7, breakfast in Glen and then lunch at Silver Lake, VT (puppy dog camping), down through Woodstock and back home around 3-4pm. Really fun ride.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:15 PM   #85
baiku
Maniacal Engineer

Oddometer: 1,270
Does anyone have recent first-hand knowledge about Sandwich Notch Rd? The WMNF forest road web site is as contradictory as can be:

Notes: This road is in rough condition; travel cautiously.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:10 PM   #86
henrymartin OP
Mr. Tourguide

Art,

Not sure but there is a sure way to find out Worst case scenario, we turn around

Okay, time to get organized:

Two sites, max 4 adults per site.

Looks like site 18 is going to Myself, Deoppressoliber +1 (CJ), and NewHampWoodsRider

Site 34: Pilothouse51, Baiku, kdennan, and RogueRanger?

Ballics, and others...lets see where you guys stand if there is a need for an additional site.

That about completes the room I have reserved.

I'm meeting PH and??? at 8am in Fitzwilliam, NH and riding due north, meeting Baiku in Wilton.

Kdennan is taking his VT route? and meeting at the campground

NewHampWoodsRider is leaving later after work and meeting at the campground

CJ is meeting us along the route since he is traveling on his FJR 2-up and will skip the rougher sections, but will join us for the smooth unpaved sections.

RR - meeting us along the way or in Moose Brook
Ballics - ?

I propose either an early lunch in Warner, NH or a late lunch in Lincoln, NH just before Kanca.

Do I have this right?
Old 06-16-2013, 09:54 AM   #87
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

Oddometer: 9,563
August shadows.

For those following along quietly and cannot make the June date, I would be glad to organize an August run up the mountain. PM me if interested, so as not to muck up the planning for June. If there is enough interest, we will make it a big deal and use this thread for August plans after the June ride. If it is just a couple of us, we will organize ourselves. I think it is just AndyCapp and myself for August at this point, but I may have missed some interest scanning quickly.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:12 PM   #88
Pilothouse51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Art,

Not sure but there is a sure way to find out Worst case scenario, we turn around

Rouge Ranger hapens to work for the Forest Service. Hopefully he can fill us in, officially.

Okay, time to get organized:

Two sites, max 4 adults per site.

Looks like site 18 is going to Myself, Deoppressoliber +1 (CJ), and NewHampWoodsRider

Site 34: Pilothouse51, Baiku, kdennan, and RogueRanger?

Works for me.

Ballics, and others...lets see where you guys stand if there is a need for an additional site.

That about completes the room I have reserved.

I'm meeting PH and??? at 8am in Fitzwilliam, NH and riding due north, meeting Baiku in Wilton.

I will be there at 8, but where in Fitzwilliam?

Kdennan is taking his VT route? and meeting at the campground

NewHampWoodsRider is leaving later after work and meeting at the campground

CJ is meeting us along the route since he is traveling on his FJR 2-up and will skip the rougher sections, but will join us for the smooth unpaved sections.

RR - meeting us along the way or in Moose Brook
I will give him a call somewhere along the way to give him a heads up and will probably meet us before we hit the Kanc.

Ballics - ?

I propose either an early lunch in Warner, NH or a late lunch in Lincoln, NH just before Kanca.

Play that by ear I suspose

Do I have this right?

Pilothouse51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:44 PM   #89
henrymartin OP
Mr. Tourguide

Mr. Mikes, Intersection of 119 and 12. Gas station.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:07 AM   #90
De Oppresso Liber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Lunch? By the time we make Lincoln, I'm thinking it'll be late afternoon, but again, we'll see and we can play it by ear.

Now, on to more important things that have as of yet to be fully discussed:

1. Dinner location.
2. HM- don't forget the marshmallows like you did last year, pumpkin!

'05 TTR 250
De Oppresso Liber is offline   Reply With Quote