Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2013, 05:55 AM   #1
Mr.Goose OP
Velvet Steamroller

Oddometer: 1,229
KTM dealer tech question - flashing 2013 streetbikes?

I just bought my 3rd KTM street bike, a 2013 690 Duke. (Formally an '07 690SM and an '07 Superduke BOTH of which I had programmed for full system exhausts which I put over 40K mileage between the two through most of my own wrenching and know my way around them mechanically very well).

I have the break in mileage done on my new bike now and bolted up a full system leo vince exhaust. My local dealer now says KTM doesn't want the maps downloaded anymore on the new bikes?

is this just an excuse for a small dealer who doesn't want to upgrade their software, tools, system? Last time around the akra map worked great on my '07 690 with a full leo system on there.

2nd opinion i called another dealer about another hour further and told them my ordeal, they put me on hold, checked, and said it would be no trouble. I have an appt there next week.

this isn't a dealer bashing where I want to call people out, but if anyone has expert KNOWLEDGE of being able to download and flash maps onto the new 2013 KTM streetbikes I'd love a 3rd opinion before I write off my local dealer who ive done biz with for over 10 years.
Mr.Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:07 AM   #2
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Goose View Post
I just bought my 3rd KTM street bike, a 2013 690 Duke. (Formally an '07 690SM and an '07 Superduke BOTH of which I had programmed for full system exhausts which I put over 40K mileage between the two through most of my own wrenching and know my way around them mechanically very well).

I have the break in mileage done on my new bike now and bolted up a full system leo vince exhaust. My local dealer now says KTM doesn't want the maps downloaded anymore on the new bikes?

is this just an excuse for a small dealer who doesn't want to upgrade their software, tools, system? Last time around the akra map worked great on my '07 690 with a full leo system on there.

2nd opinion i called another dealer about another hour further and told them my ordeal, they put me on hold, checked, and said it would be no trouble. I have an appt there next week.

this isn't a dealer bashing where I want to call people out, but if anyone has expert KNOWLEDGE of being able to download and flash maps onto the new 2013 KTM streetbikes I'd love a 3rd opinion before I write off my local dealer who ive done biz with for over 10 years.

I have personally flashed a few new bikes at customers requests... KTM has never once said no.

What is a real PITA however! is the way KTM labels the maps... no joke they are all just a bunch of numbers like this

65439.filename
65496.filename
65465.filename
65498.filename
35779.filename
54965.filename
24686.filename
66687.filename
65487.filename

and NO ONE except KTM knows what each code number means... we will get the bike hooked up to the KTM software and then call KTM NA and say... "we have a 2012 990r White w/ akro exhaust, K&N, etc etc" they do some clicking on their end and say... "ok use flashcode 65465.filename" As a dealer however we have no idea if that code corresponds to the exact build of the bike. We are truly at KTM's mercy for aftermarket flashes. We CAN however see the file names for flashing the ECU to other country standards. Those filenames are properly labeled.

I say all this but please know that KTM has been very busy updating the "ktm Xbox" so some dealers may have older versions.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:26 AM   #3
Mr.Goose OP
Velvet Steamroller

yep, I'm familiar with those file names, they make the dealer buy into an expensive system that still requires a real person to call another real person to determine which is the right file.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
motocityktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
yep, I'm familiar with those file names, they make the dealer buy into an expensive system that still requires a real person to call another real person to determine which is the right file.
Yes and no, there is a "master" file list that we can download which will give details about the file names. What we have run into is if a dealer has sent a tech to the school to actually learn how to utilize the XC1 tool to it's full potential, and, the willingness of said dealer to re-map or re-flash accordingly. Also, you have to know when to use the UST (User Setting Tool) instead of, or in conjunction with, the XC-1 to get the best possible settings for your desired outcome.
motocityktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:05 PM   #5
tacosupreme
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Can't you just get a cable and use tune ecu? http://www.tomhamburg.net/KTM_Tune_list.html
Old 06-05-2013, 02:15 PM   #6
motocityktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosupreme View Post
Can't you just get a cable and use tune ecu? http://www.tomhamburg.net/KTM_Tune_list.html
It is more than just a cable, the "XC-1" and "UST" are interface hardware items and are needed to communicate with the ECU. So yes, you could utilize those maps but you still need a dealer with a XC-1....unless....someone has built something at home to the contrary????
motocityktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #7
tacosupreme
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by motocityktm View Post
It is more than just a cable, the "XC-1" and "UST" are interface hardware items and are needed to communicate with the ECU. So yes, you could utilize those maps but you still need a dealer with a XC-1....unless....someone has built something at home to the contrary????
Cable.(I know it says "NOTE: DOES NOT FIT 2012 AND LATER MODELS" but it fits my 2012 990. )
http://www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-690-990-rc8-tuneecu-cables

Software-http://www.tuneecu.com/Tunes_in_Hex_...eECUv2.5.3.zip

How to vid-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctNjC_7HtjE
Old 06-06-2013, 06:50 AM   #8
Mr.Goose OP
Velvet Steamroller

tune ecu website says no support for 2013 duke yet. the new bike has fly by wire so I'm sure the ecu is completely changed.

sounds like the 2nd try at another shop is well worth the effort, will follow up next friday with the results.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:48 AM   #9
geometrician
let's keep going...

Oddometer: 1,024
There is a spreadsheet with all files listed, it is found in the XC1 interface.

The file describes the intended use & modifications (fuel octane, country, exhaust, closed course, etc) of the bike.

It's not always straight forward- some exhausts (due to differences in back pressure) don't work with the map that meets the description. I've flashed bikes and they ran worse, and gone through the available maps until I found one that worked best. Typical differences include exhaust "popping", uneven idle, poor off-idle throttle response.

I know the maps for 690 Dukes are VERY muffler/header system sensitive; indeed KTM says Akropovic is the only one that provides proper back-pressure for their maps & they don't support/recommend other brands. I know this to be true as I tried all the available maps on a couple of customer bikes and none of them worked well- reverting to the stock map worked best in the end.
'87 KLR650 - <200K miles "Like the Energizer Bunny, just keeps going & going..."
geometrician is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:20 PM   #10
Mr.Goose OP
Velvet Steamroller

I just took the bike out for an hour of spirited back roads riding...runs great with the stock map and full system Leo as of right now.

Did the 15 minute idle vertical on the paddock stand before. It already runs WAY cooler, the fan didn't kick on once during the 15 mins and it's 85 degrees here today in the shade.

We'll see what/if the Akro mapping does. I'll follow up tomorrow or Friday with results.

Next question - since this bike has the 0-9 selector dial in the rear storage box (0 is soft, 1 is race, 2 is street, 3-9 are blank) is the bike going to get the Akra map loaded up under one of the other dial settings and can I revert to stock just by turning the dial where I want it?
Old 06-12-2013, 03:04 PM   #11
jon6.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 546
Quote:
I just took the bike out for an hour of spirited back roads riding...runs great with the stock map and full system Leo as of right now.

Did the 15 minute idle vertical on the paddock stand before. It already runs WAY cooler, the fan didn't kick on once during the 15 mins and it's 85 degrees here today in the shade.

We'll see what/if the Akro mapping does. I'll follow up tomorrow or Friday with results.

Next question - since this bike has the 0-9 selector dial in the rear storage box (0 is soft, 1 is race, 2 is street, 3-9 are blank) is the bike going to get the Akra map loaded up under one of the other dial settings and can I revert to stock just by turning the dial where I want it?
I just put Termignoni cans on my 990 with only doing the 15 minute idle. Runs great, no popping, and still getting great fuel mileage. I would ask that dealer to use position 3 for the map so you can do just that. In case the fuel mileage goes to shit with the Akra map.

2011 KTM 250XC with lots of protection stuff for when I bounce it down a hill.
jon6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:07 AM   #12
Mr.Goose OP
Velvet Steamroller

Okay - follow up

Dealer #2 flashed the akro map on the bike with little issue.

The bike did stall a little more at first but this new leo exhaust has a mid plate that you can put in front of the muffler between it and the midpipe. No more stalling.

Did a track day with the bike on Monday, ran great!

Ran into another FF with the same bike and hes running the cam kit from KTM and now it's got my head spinning again. hehe.

So there's only one map for the bike from KTM. So here I am with full leo exhaust, stock filter and cam....and this other guy is running the identical map, airbox modded, and race cam and a full akro system. Neither one of is stalling now. So weird.

(i still want that cam though, for only $300 it seems like a steal and the install is a super easy).

any inputs appreciated
Old 10-22-2013, 06:09 PM   #13
joe camarda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Mr Goose, I've also installed the LV canister and pre silencer. I'm not sure what you mean by the mid plate. Could you please explain? Or better yet post a pic?

Here is a pic of the canister

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is a pic of the pre silencer

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks in advance!

joe camarda screwed with this post 10-22-2013 at 06:18 PM
joe camarda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:45 AM   #14
Mr.Goose OP
Velvet Steamroller

Here's a pic I pulled from the inter webs. The plate/disc that came with mine looks just like this but without the tabs.

I put it between the muffler and the mid pipe. No stalling. I do have the dB killer removed from the end of the canister.