ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2013, 07:10 AM   #1
condoor OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Alabama route suggestions for dad's 75 b-day

Hi all -
My dad lives in Helena, AL and I live in Colorado. Ever since I was a kid we talked about getting a couple Gold Wings and driving across country together, but that never happened.

BUT - His 75th birthday is coming up in September and I'm looking into possibly renting or borrowing a bike in the Birmingham area and doing a 3-4 day trip with him - he has a cruiser japanese 900ish - not sure of model.

Anyway, this would need to be an all pavement trip with a max of 200 mile days and hotels at night. I'm leaning on heading into north Alabama and possibly sliding over into North Georgia, but I really don't know too much about that area - other than it's beautiful.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Chris
condoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:59 AM   #2
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,854
IMO N. GA has better riding than Al but there is some good riding in AL also. Just East of Birmingham is Mt CHeaha which has some nice roads as well a a lodge at the top of the mountain. In northeast Alabama is Little River Canyon, Desoto Falls and even a Ski Area. Guntersville is pretty because of all the water there.

Much of this ride report is done around Huntsville and North Alabama and it may give you some ideas: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=647784

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:20 AM   #3
DirtViking
SKOL!

Oddometer: 372
I was just in that area a few weeks ago. Talladega national forest looked pretty cool. Unfortunately I didn't have the time to root around any. I was on my bike though. That's pretty close to Birmingham. It's a pretty area.

I think it really depends on the type of riding you're looking for. I have ridden north and south out of Birmingham. I would go north as you have already indicated. I would try to hit the mountains in Tennessee/North Carolina. Beautiful area. Too far?? If you're in Tennessee, then Asheville, NC is not that far away. If you could find a way to get there, I think you'd be happy. There's basically an interstate that leads from Knoxville to Asheville that goes through the mountains. It's pretty easy riding depending on traffic, but still kind of fun.

Good luck.
DirtViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:43 AM   #4
GeorgiaDirtDawg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
NW GA has a few good roads with good views for cruising. Middle North GA is even better though, and a little closer for you than NC. Hwy 136 from the Alabama/Georgia line would take you East with a lot of good rural riding. You could take it all the way to 382, then north to Ellijay, GA. From there, your options further East for riding are great! Or you could stay on 136 all the way to where it t's into Hwy 52 near Amicalola Falls, then turn left and then back to the right onto 52 towards Dahlonega. Great historic town to stop in! Tons of roads and nice loops to ride north and northeast of there! Hwy 60, Hwy 129, 180, 348, 75, you will not get bored up there! And Amicola Falls is a good stop too. Oh, BTW, Stop in at Cloudland Canyon State Park and check out the view before getting too far into GA, too. It's right beside the parking lot, so not a bad walk or anything. You could head north from there on Lookout Mountain Scenic Hwy (189 I think) towards Chattanooga, either if you want to go more north into TN than East into GA, or you could do a there and back ride on that road just to see it before getting on 136. Its a real nice road with a lot of good views off the ridge. Even passes a hang-gliding launch area!
GeorgiaDirtDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:09 PM   #5
GeorgiaDirtDawg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
And just to clarify, those GA roads are all pretty much primary two-lane, nothing rough or sketchy, just a lot of smooth open riding, or easy mountain curves.
I've only driven around north AL a handful times, half the time dirt and half the time sportbike, so I don't know a ton of roads that would be good for yalls trip. Someone mentioned it, and Little River Canyon has some decent roads right around it, and the waterfall is cool to see. There's actually a road that follows the canyon a good ways thats very scenic and good pavement. Its 176 I think, runs from west to east/northeast up towards the falls, which are on Hwy 35. It is technically called Little River Canyon Pkwy, Or Canyon Rim Road or something like that. I know it is a right turn off of 11/7 a little ways north of Collinsville, AL. And then Desoto Falls is north of there, and is a really cool almost hundred foot freefall into the canyon! Its easy to access, too for a good view. Some of the roads around it can be a little narrow and occasional gravel on the pavement, but those are mostly side roads nearby, not really the more direct route to the falls. Did I mention it's a really cool waterfall? ;-)
GeorgiaDirtDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:41 AM   #6
condoor OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
IMO N. GA has better riding than Al but there is some good riding in AL also. Just East of Birmingham is Mt CHeaha which has some nice roads as well a a lodge at the top of the mountain. In northeast Alabama is Little River Canyon, Desoto Falls and even a Ski Area. Guntersville is pretty because of all the water there.

Much of this ride report is done around Huntsville and North Alabama and it may give you some ideas: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=647784
Thanks all! I'm looking at a map now and kind of forgot how big Alabama is! The Cheaha area looks really interesting! Are most of the roads through there paved? It looks like it would be nice to drive through that area on the roads labeled as 'Scenic Highway', and then continue north up to DeSoto Falls.

We are planning this trip for either late September or early October. I don't really know how many miles we will be able/willing to cover in a day, so I will come up with a route with lots of contingencies.

Does anyone have any experience with these guys: http://www.birminghammotorcyclerentals.com/

Or do you have any other recommendations as to where I can rent a bike while I'm there?

I haven't searched yet, will do that next, but would like to pick up some kind of way for us to communicate between each other while on the bikes. Any suggestions there?

Thanks again-
Chris
condoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:02 PM   #7
ZGirl
Girly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
If you end up around Birmingham, please don't forget Barber Motorcycle Museum. I promise you will not be disappointed! :-)

1st time we visited we only had a couple of hours before closing & I thought my husband was going to cry when they made us leave!

http://www.barbermuseum.org/

ZGirl screwed with this post 06-07-2013 at 08:35 AM
ZGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:15 PM   #8
cahoona7
Rider

Oddometer: 897
Good Cheap communication
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...-Multiset.aspx

Don't miss Little River Canyon on your way to DeSoto Falls.

Helena to Barbers to Cheaha to Little River Canyon to Desoto Falls.
http://goo.gl/maps/PeOsH

Desoto Falls to Helena

http://goo.gl/maps/7VuwD

cahoona7 screwed with this post 06-10-2013 at 01:01 AM
cahoona7 is offline   Reply With Quote