Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2013, 05:56 AM   #226
AspentureRider
Rube

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne_l View Post
this was one bike we saw on the Alaska side it collided with a RV and the rider walked away ... the other on the Canada side same road slipped right off highway passanger was medivaced out .
Not sure this was what I needed to see on the day that I fly to ANC!

oh, well-
AspentureRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:25 AM   #227
zgfiredude
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Just consider it a little "perspective"......

Enjoy your trip and I want to hear all about it when you get back! Cheers and good luck!
Old 07-13-2013, 08:02 AM   #228
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne_l View Post
there was a note written on tank in black marker said rider ok will be back to pick up .. it was on a bend and saw big red mark from tank in middle of road .. we searched ditch below before we saw the note ...

I was told he and a rv met in the middle on the turn .. how he walked away I have no idea bike took a hard hit and dent in the rocky road was impressive .
i talked with the people in Chicken who went up in that old EMT vehicle...
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:14 AM   #229
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16 View Post
True, probably personal preference here, but I'd rather be up in the trees next to the Missions on a 2 lane than down on the flat by the lake on a 4 lane.
i've been on both roads, and i'd take the mix of roads from this trip if the destination was the same, or if south bound.

comparing 89 and 83, 83 is more scenic, but you get to look at those views at 30-40mph for much of the way if you find heavy traffic. the last time i was on 83, SBS 4 wheelers were passing the slow line of traffic on the shoulder.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:26 AM   #230
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgfiredude View Post
Just consider it a little "perspective"......
Mike said he was a graduate of Aspen State Teachers College, the institution that those American Mensa folks attend, so i'm betting that he's not one of those guys with the "Puddin' Head" nickname.

PLEASE CONFIRM, i've got mucho clams riding on this.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:46 AM   #231
fasteddiecopeman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
hey eddie, i'm game, next time i'm up there we'll do it, ya know, if you're not too old. Mapsource shows that road going through to 22, can't be in that bad of shape. we should just blitz the FTR while we're in there.
It does go thru to 22, however my recollection is that the 'pretty' part is MAYBE the western 5 miles.
fasteddiecopeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:00 AM   #232
fasteddiecopeman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
... the TOW is another of those northern roads that can take a big bite out of you. It doesn’t have the length of the Dempster or some of the others, but the road surface is full of transitions on the Yukon side and somewhat roughly graded gravel on the Alaska end down to Chicken. There are no guard rails protecting the shear drops. Make a little mistake with the bike and the next stop would be 2000’ down, not that it would matter to you once past the first 50’.
On my FIRST ride on the TOW (back in '04 on a Bandit 1200S), going from Chicken to Dawson, the road had been graded recently, and there were THREE travel-lines, obviously the center being 'shared'....

I was riding the center line when a half-ton came around a corner towards me, but a ways out. Guess I'd forgotten ALL I'd learned racing enduros, as I was seated. I started crossing the soft pile towards the right line when my front tire hit a fairly large rock, kicking me right.

Now I was in the soft gravel RIGHT of the right line, slowing down and turning back to the left, STILL seated (???). My front tire caught ANOTHER large rock, kicked right and I went over down the ditch, maybe six feet, my front wheel against the bottom, the B12 on its left side.

The half-ton, and two others, stopped, pulled my bike out of the ditch, and got me settled back on the stand.

Where my LUCK came in, was that IF this had happened about a quarter mile back, the ditch ended in that river after about 100'!
fasteddiecopeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:55 AM   #233
AspentureRider
Rube

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Mike said he was a graduate of Aspen State Teachers College, the institution that those American Mensa folks attend, so i'm betting that he's not one of those guys with the "Puddin' Head" nickname.

I've certainly been called "Puddin-head" more than once in my life, but I'm guessing there are more Mensa types from my REAL alma mater, Occidental College, than from the mythical, just-for-grins ASTC... but I could be wrong about that, too!

http://www.aspenstate.org/pages/1/index.htm
AspentureRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:57 PM   #234
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspentureRider View Post
I've certainly been called "Puddin-head" more than once in my life...
now i need to borrow your tent again, i done gambled away the XOs grocery money, and i'm lookin' for a place to live.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:11 PM   #235
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
...I went over down the ditch...
when i first met you in Dawson, this little voice in my head said "This guy looks like something someone went and dragged outta a ditch", good to know my intuitive senses were well calibrated. see, there's a lesson in every story.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:27 AM   #236
zgfiredude
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Quote:

You can go collect! Mike most definetly is not a "Puddin' Head"!!

P.S. Better to graduate from "Occidental" than "Accidental"! JD, get back in the house and out of the tent, never settle a bet based on info from the subject of the bet!

zgfiredude screwed with this post 07-14-2013 at 07:33 AM Reason: Replied before seeing Mike's post...
zgfiredude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:08 AM   #237
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgfiredude View Post
...never settle a bet based on info from the subject of the bet!
now ya tell me, thanks.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:32 AM   #238
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

The top of the gravel was a T intersection, and since I was continuing north, I turned left on this near semicircular section of road which is still 40 on the west side. The Canadian Rockies lay on the horizon south to north, starting with some distance, but then the road was following closer.

I had seen sheep near the intersection previously, none today, but knew I would find some eventually.

Several miles west I found the first sheep warning sign, and in this case, it’s was not to warn you about sheep along the road, as much as it was a warning about sheep in the road.

This short piece of road was another to love, the very light traffic nearly all Canucks, and you would notice the difference immediately if you had ever used the roads on the BC side of the Rockies. The mountains were equally spectacular on this side, if not more so.

I saw sheep in the distance, rolled up and stopped. I’d seen sheep licking a road surface up here before, other animals too, and I’ve always thought they were after road salt residue, but these sheep were obsessed with a recent asphalt pot hole patch. The sheep were working it over like it was the sheep equivalent of crack cocaine, damn, throw a rope on those things, send ‘em off to rehab.

The mountains close in on the road until you’re surrounded left and right, the peaks of Marconi, Joffre, King George, Sir Douglas, and Assiniboine to the west, Fisher to the east, all in the 10-11000 foot class.

More sheep in the road, and I found a small herd standing in the northbound lane, hardly looking at me when I rode up. Got them to smile, but when I moved the bike forward, they just ambled away in front of the bike. Traffic the other direction had slowed so I couldn’t safely pass, and there I was, idling in gear, herding Rocky Mountain Sheep like I was hired for the freakin’ job. I’m was sure that plenty of Canucks got a photo of sheep…and some HiViz dude harassing them. Hey, wasn’t my fault, they should have known to keep far right, better yet, stay in the damn bicycle lane.

The highway had come around to the northwest, and I was looking more directly at mountains. Traffic had thinned out with the afternoon, it looked like everyone had found a destination, except me.

At the intersection with highway 1, I put the camera away, no more photos for awhile. I was about to, let’s say mingle, with the crazy Canucks on one of their I System equivalent roads, and I was soon out there running along with traffic at 80mph, the speed limit something like 90kph, boy, those Canucks sure had a good sense of humor. The popo were everywhere, nobody let off, so I didn’t either, and kept swimming along with the rest of the school, can’t catch us all.

I saw some traffic stops, the unlucky drivers must have been up near the speed of sound to get noticed. One of the provincial police cars was parked in the left lane while he finished up the paperwork, cars swerving and swirling as traffic was forced into one lane, bumper to bumper, on the gas, faces grim from stress and speed. I wasn’t sure what this was called in Alberta, but in the States it’s called “Late Model”, and you could see the action at your local track most Friday nights, usually nobody dies.

My last fuel was in Pincher Creek, I’d been pushing the bike on 1, hmmm, let’s try for Banff, and I rode by the Canmore exits, turning northwest towards Banff, so by the time I got up there, the fuel light was flashing. Into town, a total madhouse, wall to wall tourists, and an annual bicycle race with barricaded streets. It was chaotic, a gazillion people wandering aimlessly, just as lost as I was, so I could hardly be blamed for nearly bumping that double baby stroller in the crosswalk, hey, I was distracted by my quest for fuel, that blinking light was driving me batty.

Besides, my Junior Johnson inspired exhaust was supposed to clear the crosswalks of the resort wear encrusted when I ran that motor up to 7500, didn’t happen, I would have gone higher, but I didn’t want to break any windows. All those Pacific Rim people must not have read that book, instead carrying a hardcover “Steve Jobs” in that Louis Vuitton tote. C’mon folks, y’all are in North America, where Junior is way ahead of Jobs on the cultural icon list.

Fuel was right in the middle of Banff, maybe there from the days of horse less carriages, now the only horse connection was that horse’s patoot who cut me off from the last pump nozzle, and I shut the bike down so I wouldn’t have to push it to the island, yeah, I was that low. Waited my turn, looked at the liter count, did the mental gymnastics to convert cost and volume, man, this gas was expensive, and I thought I just added more than 5 gallons in my 5 gallon tank.

Into the quick mart for a Mountain Dew, lucky for me they sold it in this foreign country, ice cream and a pie for a well rounded snack, and the guy at the register was laughing so hard he started to choke when I got the loonies and toonies flying, I’m sorta an entertaining character sometimes.

Back outside, three Harleys arrived, all women, and I found it interesting that they had to use the restroom, fix the helmet hair, put on the bandana, hike up the chaps, and check the makeup before they even considered fueling the bikes. Image really is everything, so attention all bad boys, ya might have to start thinking about another brand. Harleys are for girls now, and I got news for you, those blond girls look way better in a bandana than some fat dude with a dome.

I fired up the bike, time to go, and when those girls never even so much as glanced my direction, I mentally rephrased my departure to “I fired up Mike’s bike…”, and left Banff without any vehicular homicide charges, although tempted by those damn jaywalkers, and I was gone to Jasper, miles short of the goal.

(to be continued…)
Old 07-14-2013, 10:05 AM   #239
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,747
Quote:

I fired up the bike, time to go, and when those girls never even so much as glanced my direction
You were riding the wrong brand. Or your make up was not correct.

Enjoying the read. I was ready to take a few long weekend trips starting next weekend but my retina decided to detach.

Postponed for a month. And I got a new set of your favorite Full Bore M-40s all broken in.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:32 PM   #240
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker128pedal View Post

Enjoying the read...
thanks, Mike, i'll try to provide some cheap entertainment for your convalescence. sorry about that retina, had a similar problem once, but in all honesty, i have to say you kinda looked like you were riding one-eyed before that problem came up.

as for the Harley girls, i was disappointed that at least one didn't come over and say "Hi Gramps, how's it hangin?", ya know, something like that. i did have a bandana, but was wearing it in an affected Mexican bandido style that day.

i haven't made up my mind on those Full Bores yet...