User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2013, 04:05 PM   #106
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,636
more road talk...

i was riding this road, enjoying the view, when a chance encounter came with the suggestion that i turn around, like right now. it wasn't really a suggestion. story to follow.

jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #107
JaxObsessed
RLRR LRLL RLRR LRLL

Oddometer: 8,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
more road talk...

i was riding this road, enjoying the view, when a chance encounter came with the suggestion that i turn around, like right now. it wasn't really a suggestion. story to follow.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:52 AM   #108
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxObsessed View Post
hey jack,

i had traveled past that road several times, and this occasion decided it would be a good time to take a look in there...wrong, for several reasons.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:50 AM   #109
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 2,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
hey jack,

i had traveled past that road several times, and this occasion decided it would be a good time to take a look in there...wrong, for several reasons.
Let me guess.No starbux,no rest area,no hilton,and last but not least no ritzy wine and dine restaurant. Oh wait,there was to much of that there.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:39 PM   #110
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Let me guess...
there was definitely something out there, but...
Old 06-27-2013, 01:52 PM   #111
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Day 1: Denver, Colorado to Saratoga, Wyoming (319 miles)

It was 4AM, and I was driving to Dulles International with my wife, wondering the whole way if this trip was going to work. Seemed simple on it’s face, just pick up a bike at the Denver airport and deliver it to a garage in Anchorage, but it was, after all, a finely choreographed series of moves by people who had never met. Strange in itself, then add in some improbable logistics combined with a seemingly infinite set of variables. Could go as planned, or crumble into one big Charlie Foxtrot. My wife had already voted, mark one down in the CF column, gave me a new St. Christopher medal too, yeah, some serious protection. Damn, might as well be riding to the moon.

I’m usually so juiced at the start of a trip my boots don’t touch the ground during the 48 hour countdown, but the magic just wasn’t there right now, although I was confident it eventually would be. I’d worked out the route, loaded the GPS, but I was missing the energizing rituals of bike prep, gear stowage, and working through the checklists. I hadn’t considered this aspect until, poof, nothin’ to work on, it was all out yonder, waiting. I needed to put my hands on the rumble, feel the road, transfuse the magic. I had places to go, like today, and needed speed, baby, mountains wouldn’t hurt.

Driving along in the cusp of rush hour, wipers frantic, no freakin’ rain was forecast, I’d checked the local TV weather at 3AM. My advice to the cheery meteorologist, step outside, leave your hat on the tree, feel anything wet bouncing off your noggin? C’mon lady, got this real tight connection in Dallas, don’t need no weather delays.

I drove up to the curb at departure, unloaded my junk, kissed the wife goodbye, and handed off my roll top duffle to a smiling Jamaican, “Morning, Mon”, and I don’t think he learned to speak like that from listening to Marley CDs. I planned to get rid of that duffle immediately, carry on my man purse satchel thing, plus helmet and jacket. I’d take the chance that the duffle would get to Denver, no other way. He was busy with the tickets and luggage claim tag when someone cleared their throat behind me, and when I turned I found the Triple Six staring right at me, one scary lookin’ mofo. There must be a shortage of dentists down there, dermatologists too. No water, soap, or shampoo either. Laundry, ya kiddin’?

I was a little unsettled as it was, now I had this frightful face standing there, my Jamaican friend’s eyes wide when he looked up, and he took a step back, pinned up against the window glass, nowhere to run. I had somewhere to run, grabbed the paperwork along with my junk, and at his hand motion to “Git”, I jumped through the doors into the terminal.

Sorry to leave Bob out there with that scraggly apparition, but for a $5 tip, I left him to deal with the Devil, probably knows voodoo, spells, and all that anyway, he’ll be fine. I felt safer inside…plenty of guns, and if I see the Devil dude at the gate for Dallas, I’m tellin’ one of those TSA girls that I see a fuse dangling out of his shoe.

Whew, now that the party has started, where’s that damn gate? Could be in Maryland, I heard someone say ya had to take a train to get there.

(to be continued…)
Old 06-28-2013, 10:36 AM   #112
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quick glance at the boarding pass, get the gate number, and I’m looking at all the signage when I bump into a Zeke, a zombie, one of them new ones. Sorry, buddy, Zeke, er…whatever you’re supposed to say to these things, and when I look around, heck, the place is already full of them, both the old variety and new. The percentages sorta look like this…75, 20, 5, as in zombies, civilians, and TSA. Some of those TSA looked bi, could go either way. Man, I’m awake now, and also understand why people get caught with guns in airports.

I head for the TSA pre screen, wait in line, then hand my passport to a sleepy eyed dude. If his eyes were closed any farther, face it, he’d be out cold. He opened the passport, looked at me, back at the passport, then at me again, paused, then turned the passport 180 degrees. Thank the Lord, for a minute there I thought I was going to have to stand on my head just so he could match me with the photo. “Have a good day”, uh, ok, this is all so much fun.

I had made the turn towards the serious stuff, friskers and scanners, 6oz bottle checkers, when I was abruptly pulled out of the queue by 4’10” TSA lady and ordered to hold out my hands, huh, now I look like I’m a member of a sleeper cell and she needs to swab for explosive residue. She runs the swabs through her fancy machine, no Las Vegas jackpot noises, big smile, “Have a good day”. Sure, ya freakin’ midget. The only other people getting swabbed were Taliban and Al Qaeda types, hmmm.

One more hurdle, and I’m back in line waiting my turn for the tubs, you know the drill. One of these days, the scientists at CDC will discover that Ebola Zaire can be transmitted through bare feet, I can’t wait, we won’t have to look at all those gross feet traipsing around the TSA checkpoints, hey, gimme that airsickness bag quick. I loaded my junk into a couple tubs, but the stupid tubs took off to Xray before I had cleaned out my shirt pockets, oops, it was a mistake, don’t throw the cuffs on me.

Now a guy grabs me and I find myself in the body scanner, “Sir, you have something in your pockets, everything is supposed to be in the tubs”, seriously, now I’m thinkin’ 5 to 10 in the big house. Got that part worked out, scanned, stepped out, and the TSA guy started perving around where the stuff used to be, then down to my right knee where, obviously infatuated, he spent way more time than could be easily explained…like I had a knee joint fabricated from a combo of C4 and cast iron, or just a real cute knee. There was a big line, and he finally gave up, “Have a good day”. I was enjoying myself, either the airport or a root canal. Toss up.

I made it to the gate in plenty of time, train ride included, got coffee, and retrieved my camera just in case I spied something of interest. There was an American concierge lady in front of the gate next door, and she offered to take my photo, thanks, but before I could hand her the camera, she turned her attention back down the concourse. She was waiting for passengers on a Miami flight that had already boarded, and here they come, hurrying along, except one woman in the group was clearly dead drunk at 5:45AM, and could barely stand. The concierge took one look at her, called on the radio, doors slammed, and the plane backed out. She didn’t allow anyone to board, that’s one way to start the day.

The flight was on schedule, thankfully not full, and after a long hike at Dallas, I was at the next gate, waiting on the Denver flight. It was 100 degrees outside, nice breeze, but 120 inside, feeble air conditioning clanking away. That does it, I’m emailing Perry, get him on the case…right after I check on the symptoms for Legionnaires Disease, or malaria, I was comin’ down with one or the other. There was a guy asleep in front of one of those big windows, by the time he wakes up, he’ll look like he spent 12 hours in a tanning booth, controls set to “STIR FRY”.

Some cowboys around, cowgirls too, and all I have to say is, ya got that five gallon head, don’t be buying that ten gallon cowboy hat. Plus, if you’re wearing shorts and tennies, leave the hat at home, except if you’re a cowgirl and those Daisy Maes are so short that they’re kinda stuck in the Big Bend territory, then ya can wear the hat, nobody’s looking at it anyway. Speaking of hats, if you’re 58 years old, and insist on flying into Dallas dressed like one of those goofballs on Jersey Shore, at least have that oversize straight brim ball hat read something besides “GIANTS”, might keep ya out of the hospital. Don’t do the freakin’ fist pump thing the second you step into the terminal either, you’re in Texas, nobody understands or cares about Jersey.

(to be continued…)
Old 06-28-2013, 11:00 AM   #113
AspentureRider
Rube

Oddometer: 151
The suspense is killin' me- I'm bound to show up in here sooner or later-
AspentureRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:38 PM   #114
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspentureRider View Post
The suspense is killin' me- I'm bound to show up in here sooner or later-
soon, my friend, soon.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:17 AM   #115
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

The flight to Denver was on schedule, great for AspentureRider, he had a flight to catch back to…you might have guessed, Aspen. I was hurtling through the air in a sardine can with P&W engines bolted on, hilarious in the context of “Jet-Setting”, one of the rest of the sardines packed in there, heck, the plane even smelled like greasy little fish. I was wondering how the bike transfer was going to happen since airports don’t permit vehicles parked in front of the entrances, guess we’ll find out, and the plane was on the ground, then soon at the gate.

I shouldn’t have been surprised when a greeny dude on the aisle ahead of me jumped up before the gong, opened the overhead, yanked on his luggage, dislodging another passenger’s laptop case and soft briefcase. This greenie was of the type often associated with boorish behavior, his mission to save the earth viewed people as the problem and exonerated his discourtesies, both large and small. The laptop fell all the way to the floor with a crunch, while the other piece hit a lady in the head, knocking off her glasses. He thought he was going to run up the aisle and deplane first, didn’t happen, now he was trapped next to the laptop guy and the old lady with the bent glasses. The spirited discussion was still ongoing at the top of the jetway, and was focused on the fine points of compensation.

I was curious how it was going to turn out, but my phone rang after I had taken exactly one step into the terminal. Mike was in the short term lot with the bike, but I still had to get to the baggage claim to collect my duffle. My route to the baggage claim was circuitous, steamy hot, and at one point I was standing next to a woman with one of those miniature dogs, how did that thing get in here? I also saw the greenie from the plane, running, looked like getaway mode, freakin’ ozoned coward.

My duffle popped out, thank goodness, I called Mike with the location, and he was on the way. Outside the baggage claim was typical chaos, exhaust fumes trapped against the concrete, traffic berserk. I waited, no bike, waited some more, no bike. I figured Mike must be stuck in this traffic mess, might as well get on the riding gear, so I dragged my junk over to the concrete center island…and jumped out of my clothes. Sorry, couldn’t be helped, but it’s probably not something you’ll see every day at the Denver airport. I noticed a few on that busload of Chinese tourists that were pointing my direction, looked sorta shocked. Hey, I was only 95% nekkid, and if those Chinese toured around Colorado, they were bound to see more things that they would never see in China, like one of them Rainbow people gatherings. Armed citizens too.

Kneeguards on, pants, double socks, boots, reorganized, but no bike. A woman with a badge walked over, said if I was waiting for someone, I should be on the lower level. Hustling back inside, down a level, and when outside, I see Mike roll up about a hundred yards away, whew. Called him on the cell, and he rode over, but before he got off the bike, we had to pick a place where the bike could be parked for a few minutes. There was a cop on the end of the center island, so Mike rode over and got the ok to park, but only briefly.

We’d never met, but Mike turned out to be one of Colorado’s model citizens, not to mention, one of Aspen’s finest. Bottom line, human beings rarely make a mistake when judging first impressions in critical encounters with the outcome on the line, and Mike was one of the good guys…he had the bike well prepped too. Mike had to catch a plane, and in a flurry of activity, gear was distributed and strapped down, important paperwork exchanged. Mike glanced at his watch, “Gotta run, call me”, and just like that, I was alone with the bike, only 5000 miles to go.

I was alone, but had run the meter down to zero, and that cop was headed towards me, the message in those hand signals unmistakable. Guess I better start this ride, got a bike to deliver, and I left the airport at 9,000rpm, clicking through the gears…buzzed, in that magical zone all over again, yeehaw!

(to be continued…)
Old 06-29-2013, 08:11 AM   #116
zgfiredude
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 716
Mike IS one of the good guys (perhaps add normal in there also) in Aspen. There aren't many.

It's too bad that you couldn't have spent a bit more time with him, his enthusiasm is infectious. We can safely say,
"Mike is not a Zombie."

He suggested I follow this report, and I think I will. I'll also follow his RR if he does one.......hint, hint.

In your hurry to get out of DIA you missed the Starbucks that's right by the exit doors, You should try one someday.

Well done sir, I'm in for the "ride".
Old 06-29-2013, 10:59 AM   #117
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgfiredude View Post
Mike IS one of the good guys (perhaps add normal in there also) in Aspen. There aren't many.

It's too bad that you couldn't have spent a bit more time with him, his enthusiasm is infectious. We can safely say,
"Mike is not a Zombie."

He suggested I follow this report, and I think I will. I'll also follow his RR if he does one.......hint, hint.

In your hurry to get out of DIA you missed the Starbucks that's right by the exit doors, You should try one someday.

Well done sir, I'm in for the "ride".
Mike ended up spending so much time at the Denver airport, i was hoping he remembered his anti zombie inoculation. glad he made it back to Aspen unscathed, that zombie stuff is catchy.

Mike and i only had about 15 minutes back there at the airport, but i'm not done with the west, so it's "'til we meet again".

glad you're enjoying the report, more on the way, eventually. as for Starbucks, i tried one once...from an old ride report, and Starbucks might turn up in this report too.

THE WILDS OF STARBUCKISTAN

Early Sunday morning and I had a big day planned, a twist of fate later, I found myself fueling the bike across the street from a Starbuckistanian consulate, a supposed refuge of the intellectual and literati in the vast wasteland…or more simply, dweeb heaven, where varying shades of brown holy water are served. Well, ain’t that freakin’ Grande, and I was sucked in by the million Tesla pull of visionary cult marketing, I needed caffeine kinda bad, and if it meant elbowing some long skirted, quilt vested, granny glass wearing, Tractor Supply booted, braided hair hippy lady out of the way to get to the order counter, here’s notice folks, I was the man to do it.

I rolled in and parked in front, right where it said something about “FIRE”, but it was upside down from where I was standing, and I was near positive that this space was normally reserved for those rondel badged bikes, so hey buddy, tough luck, drink your coffee, quit that disapproving stare or I’ll do something really scary.

Helmet off, gloves off, and I thought about taking the key, naw, if any of these folks were going to steal the bike, heck, they’d want to read a pdf of the owner’s manual on their Iphone first, by that time I’d be back. I walked to the door behind a young gal who looked pretty spectacular from that viewpoint in her not-for-Sunday-church attire, and she looked over her shoulder as she opened the door, “After you”. I must have looked like her feeble grandpappy’s grandpappy. Great smile, a natural beauty, except for dyed raven hair, and two dozen piercings on her face and ears, man, it looked like shrapnel, but her choice, too bad none the less.

Only one person at the counter, two in line, both reading paperbacks, and when it was their turn, both had to think about it way too long. I was thinking too… about setting those books on fire to speed things up a little, but changed my mind, man, I hate seeing grown people cry, especially early in the morning. Besides, I was in foreign territory, might be laws and such. My turn, and I was looking up at that confusing order board, have no freakin’ idea what all that stuff is about, so I said “I want a big cup of coffee, black, quadruple caffeine, and if it doesn’t float a damn bowling ball, I won’t like it”.

My coffee girl looked puzzled for a minute, like she was translating the lingo into official Starbuckistanian coffee speak, then said “I think we can do that”, and she did. I got a great big cup of coal black caffeine, I’d be wired all day, grinding my teeth, xray vision, super powers deployed, good, I was ready to ride, Starbuckistan in my mirrors.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:22 PM   #118
AspentureRider
Rube

Brian (ZGFiredude) and I met almost simultaneously on two different forums- Kawasakiversys and Saab92x, with ownership of both vehicles. I still have 'em, he doesn't, but I used to see his bike parked in front of the AVFD, and my bike now has some of his parts. He's another one of the good ones-

(I did warn JDrocks not to jump too quickly to conclusions about MY character...)
Old 06-29-2013, 04:23 PM   #119
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspentureRider View Post

(I did warn JDrocks not to jump too quickly to conclusions about MY character...)
geeez, now you make it sound like that ringing ZGF endorsement was rigged.

stay tuned, mountains coming up.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:27 AM   #120
AspentureRider
Rube

Sidenote- Brian (b dash rian-owner of the garage where the Versys currently resides in ANC) lost the driveshaft on the BMW outside of Whitehorse (en route from Seattle)... bummer. He's got it handled, but still sucks.