Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2013, 08:05 AM   #1
GoNOW OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,474
Iron, no Carbon Fibre Butt. Can I do it?

I have a trip I need to make. I have 4.5 days to make 2,800, round trip. About 10 hours in the saddle each day. All freeway driving.
I have done 400 miles in a day before, but I am not sure how doing double that for 4 days in a row will work.
At this point, I am not sure if I want to ride the bike, or spend the money and fly.

Any thoughts from anyone who has made a trip like this?
GoNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:14 AM   #2
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,085
How was the 400 mile day? If it was easy, with no need to shift around in the seat, you can probably do it. Otherwise, you probably need a better seat, or a pad of some sort.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #3
GoNOW OP
Beastly Adventurer

The 400 mile day was not fun, and I am not sure if I can double that or not.
I have a new seat now and I will have a throttle lock this time.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:45 PM   #4
patmo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 655
How are your tires? And how long do you usually get out of a new set, especially the rear? On many large bikes, 2800 miles of highway will permently square off the tires and they will need replacement. If that is going to be the cae with yours, then you have to consider that cost as well.

Also...are you going to ENJOY the ride? Sure if money is the issue, and you are wanting to ride to save money, then you can probably suck it up and make the ride....but if you are going to just hate it the whole time, and you can afford to do it in a more enjoyable way, then why do it the hard way?

By the way...CAR rentals can be done cheaply......unlimited mileage, better fuel mileage than many bikes, and more comfortable (A/C, heater, weather protection, stereo, etc.) than many bikes.

I LOVE to ride, have done 1000 mile days, have done a 2800 mile bike trip,......but if I have to make a long trip that's all expressway, I will drive or fly everytime. Slabbing it on a bike ain't my idea of fun.
patmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #5
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,414
Honestly, 700 miles every day isn't hard, especially with longer daylight. The trick I've found is to start early in the morning. Resist the urge to sleep in, get on the road before 7 or 8am, and ride until near dark. You can take extended breaks if you want, but you'd be amazed at how quickly you eat up the miles.

That said, a good seat really, REALLY helps. Make sure you have that sorted (I'm a huge Sargent fan, but find what works for you) before you head out, and you'll be much happier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:51 PM   #6
Seppo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
what bike are you using?
i did 800kms on a ducati 916, from 6 in the morning till 9 in the evening. all of it was twisties in the alps. its possible on pretty much any bike.
i say, limit the short breaks and only stop for fuel, but make fuel stops longer breaks. if you´re not sightseeing and stopping every 10km for a picture, i think its easy.

Seppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:55 AM   #7
GoNOW OP
Beastly Adventurer

My ride will by my KTM 950. I have a set of touring tires that have 75% of the tread left, but are getting old. So I would like to use them up now. So tire cost is not an issue.
I could take my truck and drive, but after fuel cost, it would be cheaper to fly.

On my bucket list is to visit every state by motorcycle. This trip would knock off 2 states from the list. I guess I am trying to do the kill two birds with one stone thing in getting this trip done, and doing a little riding.

When I figure in Hotel rooms, it will likely be about the same cost as flying in for the day. And I can be in and out in 2 days instead of 4. But I have to deal with the airport, car rental, and all that not fun stuff.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:07 AM   #8
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,870
Fly. Its why God gave us the Wright brothers. You'll be fresher and far more relaxed at your destination. You won't have to deal with weather issues (much). You will have to deal with the TSA.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:54 AM   #9
rockmurf
IBA #31100

Oddometer: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Fly. Its why God gave us the Wright brothers. You'll be fresher and far more relaxed at your destination. You won't have to deal with weather issues (much). You will have to deal with the TSA.
This is easy. FLY. you said the 400 mile ride wasn't fun. case closed Spend the money and fly. When you get home you can do all the 700 mile back to back that you want, if you want.
rockmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:26 PM   #10
falcon20x
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Plenty fluid, stay hydrated. You will be amazed what a difference it makes.
Invest in camelback or something like it.

I use buttwax paste. I know it is funny ( ha ha ha ) but it works and your behind will thank you
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S.Thompson

falcon20x screwed with this post 06-06-2013 at 08:47 PM
falcon20x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:35 PM   #11
kuroda_tadayoshi
Kuroda

Oddometer: 141
Ride it

Everyone who says fly is absolutely right. It is the only sane choice; given the type of ride and comfort level.

That said, fuck it. Ride it. ADV. We aren't sane and reasonable.

It won't be that fun, but you may grin about the experience later. I would. Hell, I grin just thinking about something as boring as a slab ride.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:51 AM   #12
BeefEater
BR 549

Oddometer: 11
As much of a proponent of long rides as I am, I have to say that if you did not enjoy a 400 mile day then your not going to enjoy doing more miles for a longer period of time (mabye).
However, I support stubborn bull-headed will and say go ahead and ride it if you think that there is a remote chance that you will enjoy it.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:09 AM   #13
Okie Preacher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNOW View Post
I have a trip I need to make. I have 4.5 days to make 2,800, round trip. About 10 hours in the saddle each day. All freeway driving.
I have done 400 miles in a day before, but I am not sure how doing double that for 4 days in a row will work.
At this point, I am not sure if I want to ride the bike, or spend the money and fly.

Any thoughts from anyone who has made a trip like this?
Now granted, I am on a GS not a KTM 950 (that is one bad-assed KTM!), but 400 freeway miles a day isn't a big deal and it shouldn't take 10 hours of saddle time. Start early. Grab a cup of coffee and get 100 miles behind you before breakfast. Try hard to have close to 300 done by noon--which should take less than 5 hours averaging 65 mph. Knock out another tank of gas and 200 miles after lunch, quit early, kick up your feet, drink a beer and do it again the next day.

3,500 mile loop through Ohio and the Carolinas for business scheduled for August. To Phoenix and back in October. I need to make three or four big loops a year for work. Unless they are in the dead of winter I always take the bike.

As for flying... HELL NO! A bad day--rain, wind and nothing but interstate--beats a day being herded like cattle and seat 28C (behind a crying baby) into Atlanta. Make an adventure out of it and have some fun.

Okie Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:04 PM   #14
xtphreak
from B4 "adventure bikes"

Oddometer: 7,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie Preacher View Post
As for flying... HELL NO! A bad day--rain, wind and nothing but interstate--beats a day being herded like cattle and seat 28C (behind a crying baby) into Atlanta. Make an adventure out of it and have some fun.

what he said

I fly to work every 3 weeks and I wish I had the time to ride it (but 4500 miles every 21 days would get tiresome too!!)
Robert A. Heinlen
Adventure is discomfort recounted at leisure. Flash / GSWayne
Chrome don't get ya home. Rob Nye
Stamp Out Hoplophobia in Our lifetimes.
1999 Tiger 885
1995 XT600E
xtphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:02 PM   #15
chokozip
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Dont rush.Make sure you make regular stops and dont forget to drink lots of water.You will be fine.The first day will be ok.The second your ass will be a tad sore.The third num and the fourth you will be good to go.
If you feel up to it crank out your first 1000 miles in 24 hours and document it.Get that iron butt cert:)

Sean
chokozip is offline   Reply With Quote